Pages:
Author

Topic: How many people have received random .00000001 transactions to their wallets? - page 2. (Read 14176 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Nope, no random transactions for me.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
probably someone trying to track all your monies and link you as the underground kingping..
This keeps getting repeated but no one can explain how that would work.

These transactions do not make it to the block chain—they exist only in the mempool of servers for a temporary period as they never get confirmed. As such I do not see how they can link anyone to anything.

If you think otherwise, please can you explain how?

The transactions were visible for weeks even though they never confirmed.   They showed up on BlockChain.info and with software using the BlockChain.info API. 
Sure, while they were in the mempools and being re-broadcast, like any transaction that hasn't yet been confirmed. So please can you explain how that enables anyone to track anyone else's money during that period?
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
Does anybody received link to a phishing sites?

I think the spam was actually linked to a gambling site
Activity: 854
Merit: 510
probably someone trying to track all your monies and link you as the underground kingping..

These transactions do not make it to the block chain—they exist only in the mempool of servers for a temporary period as they never get confirmed. As such I do not see how they can link anyone to anything.

The transactions were visible for weeks even though they never confirmed.   They showed up on BlockChain.info and with software using the BlockChain.info API. 
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276

If I were running things, I'd do something such as:

- Instruct 'licensed' operators to keep log certain transactions even if they don't make it into the blockchain ('1IRSnnnn...nnn' for instance.)  This should be low overhead since they are free to discard all other such spam, and the metadata can easily be supplied by pretty much any full node if a vendor is not running his own.  And the nature of Bitcoin means that the tag cannot be forged.

- Instruct 'licensed' operators to only accept payments from wallets which can be demonstrated to have been tagged as per the above.  If they choose to accept other payments, the funds may be subject to forfeiture.

- Instruct the Bitcoin userbase that they may achieve various kinds of tagging by declaring their stashes in a legal manner.  Again, the nature of Bitcoin means that performing this simple action could achieve almost immediate satisfaction.  And only 'terrorists and criminals' would resist you know.

Of course there needs to be a certain adoption in mainstream-land before such a strategy could be successful.  But probably not a huge amount.  BTC that are not spendable at even a fairly small minority of potentially useful things (TigerDirect, Dish, etc) are going to be notably discounted in a free market.

Activity: 467
Does anybody received link to a phishing sites?

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

but yeah.. kinda retarded..
Activity: 854
Merit: 510
Really surprised about this. I have created more than two dozen wallets (half-a-dozen of them are active), and I have never received these BTC0.00000001 transactions to my account. I think only those people with good wallet balances have received them. One of my wallets contain BTC3, but others have less than BTC0.1 in them.  Angry

They are not a good thing to receive.  However the trigger is probably more along the lines of doing a transaction in a certain time period.

The problem with the transactions is that they never confirm and some software used by websites is too brain dead to deal with that correctly.    In my case it messed up a BTC deposit and I to have the company manually move the deposit.   Major waste of time. 
Activity: 427
Merit: 251
- electronics design|embedded software|verilog -
Received two this morning again.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
Really surprised about this. I have created more than two dozen wallets (half-a-dozen of them are active), and I have never received these BTC0.00000001 transactions to my account. I think only those people with good wallet balances have received them. One of my wallets contain BTC3, but others have less than BTC0.1 in them.  Angry
I received two today, strange. how do they know my addresses? I kept them on Blockchain wallet, is blockchain hacked?

It must be like what's called a "brute-force attack" used by hackers to get at people's passwords.

No need for any sort of "brute force" activity. All addresses that have ever been involved in a transaction are publicly recorded in the blockchain.
Activity: 308
Never had this happen. I did get random transactions but I realised later they were from faucets Smiley
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
I received two today, strange. how do they know my addresses? I kept them on Blockchain wallet, is blockchain hacked?

It must be like what's called a "brute-force attack" used by hackers to get at people's passwords. They just have their wallet send the one Satoshi to random Bitcoin addresses and hope they hit one that somebody is actually using. Does anybody know if anybody has actually tried something like that?
Activity: 266
Not just "why would we?" but also "How the fuck could we?". Even Gox wasn't around then so if you weren't mining them, it was damn near impossible to buy any, especially from within microscopic communities outside the US. Heck, back then you might have been the *only* person in your entire city to be interested in it, so even localbitcoins.com wouldn't have been practical.

IIRC, people were happy to do PayPal trades at the time (the community was less scammy in hindsight at the time) so that's how people managed to 'buy' them. That being said there were far more people (but still nothing in comparison to now) just trading stuff for them. But yeah the volume of trading then was literally nothing - far too new and experimental for all but a few to jump wholeheartedly in.

People who were trading then were true believers in Bitcoin. Once the MSM started reporting on Bitcoin scammers got wind of the fact that you cannot reverse bitcoin transactions and took advantage of the fact that you could reverse paypal transactions.
Activity: 742
Merit: 502
Circa 2010
Not just "why would we?" but also "How the fuck could we?". Even Gox wasn't around then so if you weren't mining them, it was damn near impossible to buy any, especially from within microscopic communities outside the US. Heck, back then you might have been the *only* person in your entire city to be interested in it, so even localbitcoins.com wouldn't have been practical.

IIRC, people were happy to do PayPal trades at the time (the community was less scammy in hindsight at the time) so that's how people managed to 'buy' them. That being said there were far more people (but still nothing in comparison to now) just trading stuff for them. But yeah the volume of trading then was literally nothing - far too new and experimental for all but a few to jump wholeheartedly in.
Activity: 378
Merit: 265
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Good advertising idea. Is this fixed on blockchain?

The TX were never confirmed and eventually fell out of the memory pool of the nodes.

I am not sure how effective it was in increasing sales, but I know that it did even make the news so the word defiantly get out.

Well those coins ended up with the status of conflicted
It's good that the blockchain spam did stop eventually since it probably was not a good way to advertise their service.
Activity: 266
Good advertising idea. Is this fixed on blockchain?

The TX were never confirmed and eventually fell out of the memory pool of the nodes.

I am not sure how effective it was in increasing sales, but I know that it did even make the news so the word defiantly get out.
Pages:
Jump to: