Pages:
Author

Topic: How many people have received random .00000001 transactions to their wallets? - page 3. (Read 14176 times)

Activity: 467
Merit: 250
Good advertising idea. Is this fixed on blockchain?
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
There is a thread here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/enjoy-458934 started by people receiving 1 satoshi from addresses beginning with "1Enjoy" and "1Sochi", but I just saw two transactions for .00000001 to my wallet from this address: 1Bhv6XjXBvraivcATHwwLMscZ5xJm9FsPn

there is a link to https://bitwars.org/ next to the address, so maybe just spam from a gambling site, but it seems fishy that all these small transactions are happening around the same time. Attack on the blockchain? dusting?

Check you wallet(s), how many people have received random deposits for .00000001?

It was just dustspam that never got confirmed by the blockchain. It was linked to a gambling site.
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
If the launch, I will participate in.Keep up the good work.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
There is a thread here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/enjoy-458934 started by people receiving 1 satoshi from addresses beginning with "1Enjoy" and "1Sochi", but I just saw two transactions for .00000001 to my wallet from this address: 1Bhv6XjXBvraivcATHwwLMscZ5xJm9FsPn

there is a link to https://bitwars.org/ next to the address, so maybe just spam from a gambling site, but it seems fishy that all these small transactions are happening around the same time. Attack on the blockchain? dusting?

Check you wallet(s), how many people have received random deposits for .00000001?

I didn't received any such amount, I don't think it's an act of kindness rather just an attempt to spam the blockchain and what purpose would that solve? I have no idea. I do hope one day I open my wallet and receive like 1 btc.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
It was worth like 2c. Very few people (myself included) had the foresight to buy at that price and why would we?

Not just "why would we?" but also "How the fuck could we?". Even Gox wasn't around then so if you weren't mining them, it was damn near impossible to buy any, especially from within microscopic communities outside the US. Heck, back then you might have been the *only* person in your entire city to be interested in it, so even localbitcoins.com wouldn't have been practical.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
Sure puts everything into perspective doesn't it? I'd lick dog poop for 1 BTC. Heck, I'd probably suck a cock just for 1 BTC. Dammit those early adopters sure had it easy back then. Wish I had a time machine.

It was worth like 2c. Very few people (myself included) had the foresight to buy at that price and why would we? There certainly wasn't the same hype around Bitcoin then (among the tiny community there was a little) and no one truly expected (some might claim it) that we would ever reach a valuation like this.

Anyway, you still technically one of the earlier adopters if the expectation that it will reach global acceptance is to be believed. Doesn't hurt to get in now for a bit and see where it goes.

I first saw BTC at ~5 cents (pre-Gox) and didn't seriously consider buying any. If I had found this forum back then things might be much different, but I somehow stumbled on a crude little site selling BTC for Paypal.
No regrets, the future starts now.  Smiley
Activity: 742
Merit: 502
Circa 2010
Sure puts everything into perspective doesn't it? I'd lick dog poop for 1 BTC. Heck, I'd probably suck a cock just for 1 BTC. Dammit those early adopters sure had it easy back then. Wish I had a time machine.

It was worth like 2c. Very few people (myself included) had the foresight to buy at that price and why would we? There certainly wasn't the same hype around Bitcoin then (among the tiny community there was a little) and no one truly expected (some might claim it) that we would ever reach a valuation like this.

Anyway, you still technically one of the earlier adopters if the expectation that it will reach global acceptance is to be believed. Doesn't hurt to get in now for a bit and see where it goes.
Activity: 74
This sort of anonymous donating has happened since 2010. Theymos even mentioned it as a problem back then. The developers have done various things over the years to try to fix these, but they never truly seem to go away.

The difference today is that these are now more than just annoying and, rather, malicious in nature since they are capable of publicly identifying owners of coin.

Gotta love this quote (emphasis mine):

I keep getting random influxes of BTC....five cents here, 1BTC there....I can only assume they're from people on the forums, as I know no one who uses bitcoins.  Thanks to whomever it may be.  I'd really like to know who.

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
I've heard a lot about this strategy lately. It seems really cumbersome to me making a new address for every transaction. Is there some service that let's you so this but keep the same log in info?
Sounds like you're using blockchain.info.

It's not a good idea to use wallet services that encourage bad privacy and security behavior.
Activity: 98
Pretty good idea (without considering the ethicality) they actually got thousands of curious views for less than 0.01 BTC even excluding the empty wallets. Not a bad advertising idea.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
I received one of those before, but only to an address that I reused numerous times. Since then I make an effort to create a fresh address for every transaction.

I've heard a lot about this strategy lately. It seems really cumbersome to me making a new address for every transaction. Is there some service that let's you so this but keep the same log in info? 

Yeah, electrum does it
Activity: 546
Carpe Diem
I received one of those before, but only to an address that I reused numerous times. Since then I make an effort to create a fresh address for every transaction.

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Won't any address used even once still be visible in the public blockchain and thus be a potential target for these spam transactions that never confirm?

I don't see how it is an issue.
Activity: 71
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
How is it a form of tagging when these transactions will never confirm thus will never be permanently recorded in the blockchain?
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
I received two today, strange. how do they know my addresses? I kept them on Blockchain wallet, is blockchain hacked?
Cheesy

there is only around 200 000 actively used bitcoin addresses, sending 1 satoshi to each and everyone of them is not that hard or expensive Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
So is there a chance of having my coinbase account hacked after getting these?  I have 2 from today currently "pending" on my account

I believe the transactions will never be confirmed, however it can be considered a form of tagging, if you are a coinbase customer you probably have nothing to worry about. The transaction represents knowledge of your public key so no valid hack vector other than from a law enforcement agency, but it could be some research project tracking coins used or not used in illegal activities, and if "Green listing" is ever enacted, those coins may have a greater or lessor value.

Still consider educating your self on how to create and secure a private key and consider managing your own coins, and not leaving them in the control of a trusted 3rd party.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1132
Offhand I'd say no, not a problem.  Ignore them and they'll eventually go away.

Activity: 504
So is there a chance of having my coinbase account hacked after getting these?  I have 2 from today currently "pending" on my account
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276

I actually got 2 transactions for .00000000 somehow... and when I went to look at it again today both of the transactions are gone! WTF? They were there like all day yesterday, now it only says I have one transaction, but at one point it did tell me I had 3... How weird... Is this being used to keep track of us? Someone sending out .00000000 transactions so they can eventually track all of our BTC addresses???

There is really no mystery here.  Someone sent you some perfectly valid (and tiny) transactions.  They were signed appropriately and went out on the network.  Whatever client you are looking at saw these transactions and added them to your balance.

Eventually these transactions go long enough without being mined (and thus made part of the blockchain) that whatever client you are looking at gave up and decided they would never be 'confirmed'.  Thus, they appear to you to have 'disappeared'.

Mine was a local wallet on my computer, and it didn't show up on there. It showed up on my BTC address when I searched it up on blockchain.info. It could be used to run a program, see what all the BTC addresses are, and someone could easily be using a program to check if the address is real or not and keep a record of them all. It's the only thing that makes the most sense(other than spam). Who would do this you ask? We don't know, we can guess, government(they want to tax and regulate good chance).

There is really no such thing as a 'real address'.  Any address which has funding has representation in the block chain (else, how did it get funded?), and thus the public address is available to anyone.  An address which has never been sent any bitcoin might be considered 'not real', but it's also fairly un-interesting.

In other words, there is no need to spam a wallet to find out if an address is 'real'.  The info can be obtained quickly, easily, and cheaply by just parsing the blockchain.

One method of tracking would be to send tiny transactions which are eventually confirmed then hope that when the user tries to make a spend, this dust is swept up and made part of the spend.  This is now expensive because it is not reliable unless the spammer includes a transaction fee (around 5000x the dust value currently) in order to ensure that the dust is confirmed and made permanent.

Client software may try to spend the unconfirmed transactions (like the ones we are talking about here) and it would more-or-less cause the entire wallet to become unusable until the dust transaction eventually fails to confirm.  This because a spend often spends all your money and returns the balance back to your wallet.  This issue of is being worked on.

If your local machine is running a 'full client' then it may be listening for unconfirmed transactions on the network and may pick up this spam.  Very recent developments involve changes to a local client which treats unconfirmed transactions differently in terms of computing balances, deciding how to construct 'spends', etc.  No matter what, software is being used to compute balances, this explains why you see the dust transaction in some places (like blockchain.info which is well connected) and not in others.

Again, these are my own understandings and I am not 100% sure of the exact details so if anyone wants to propose corrections, please do.

Pages:
Jump to: