Pages:
Author

Topic: How to sign a message?! - page 3. (Read 141318 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
June 09, 2021, 08:32:41 AM
Is there a way I can 'sign' a non-zero address containing the required funds to show that a) The $ is mine to send and b) The $ is enough to cover the cost of the transaction
The signing process of funded addresses is the same as for empty ones. If you sign a message from an address that contains bitcoin, you effectively own that address and the coins in it.

Regarding point b, it depends. If you are supposed to send a client 0.2 BTC and you sign an address which contains only 0.1 BTC, the client will know (if he checks) that you don't have the required amount. If it's the other way around, he can see you have enough. 
Activity: 60
Merit: 24
June 09, 2021, 06:26:05 AM
Posting a Bitcoin address sign message can also be used for the account recovery process, so I suggest that you save the information carefully to be able to access the bitcoin address.

Thanks but there is still something I don't quote understand.  When I signed my message, I used the received address in the wallet, and the address has $0 balance.

Let us say I wanted to send some bitcoin to someone, and they wanted to verify that I had the funds to pay for the transaction.

Is there a way I can 'sign' a non-zero address containing the required funds to show that a) The $ is mine to send and b) The $ is enough to cover the cost of the transaction

Would it be possible ? - (or even make sense?) to sign the message in such a way that  ? - It seems it should, I just think I'm missing something

Tks.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 2852
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
June 08, 2021, 10:52:54 PM
Okay, here it is with a bitcoin address then  Grin

Code:
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Today is Tuesday June 8th 2021. I am GeekWisdom and i own this address. Thanks to shorena for the tutorial
-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
1Apqmd4bQBaazqvRPA4Si8LzLvGjRaf3bQ
IErW5+wRkq+i2ZU8v1XuBrZ1us5N/gUJBhUzWd2jIhIfcwPaxswMLpAIs7RA+6kimwKNqcc60bvcoVDvd2WABkc=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Verified

Posting a Bitcoin address sign message can also be used for the account recovery process, so I suggest that you save the information carefully to be able to access the bitcoin address.

Maybe you can consider posting it in the following thread:
Stake your Bitcoin address here
June 08, 2021, 09:42:24 PM
No, this tutorial thread for bitcoin, you must try sign message in bitcoin wallets such as bitcoin core or electrum. The method is the same away as what you have tried - Verified -

Okay, here it is with a bitcoin address then  Grin

Code:
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Today is Tuesday June 8th 2021. I am GeekWisdom and i own this address. Thanks to shorena for the tutorial
1Apqmd4bQBaazqvRPA4Si8LzLvGjRaf3bQ
IErW5+wRkq+i2ZU8v1XuBrZ1us5N/gUJBhUzWd2jIhIfcwPaxswMLpAIs7RA+6kimwKNqcc60bvcoVDvd2WABkc=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 2049
June 08, 2021, 08:03:10 PM
Used my blackcoin address, testing to see if this works  Shocked

Code:
-----BEGIN BLACKCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Today is 2020-06-08. i am user GeekWisdom and i approve this message. (hopefully correctly)
B9rdPbbPnzjsmkVa5MWNUq3RRXxw2QYkWd
IDLtx5Nt5Ty48RcvbTkWDOwnO8udgwO7t5RqYZVlirlvPXgn0DIYhUKRxw4GNSkytimLRsSZSkJTnGhepM/fHGc=
-----END BLACKCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

No, this tutorial thread for bitcoin, you must try sign message in bitcoin wallets such as bitcoin core or electrum. The method is the same away as what you have tried - Verified -
June 08, 2021, 03:44:48 PM
Used my blackcoin address, testing to see if this works  Shocked

Code:
-----BEGIN BLACKCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Today is 2020-06-08. i am user GeekWisdom and i approve this message. (hopefully correctly)
B9rdPbbPnzjsmkVa5MWNUq3RRXxw2QYkWd
IDLtx5Nt5Ty48RcvbTkWDOwnO8udgwO7t5RqYZVlirlvPXgn0DIYhUKRxw4GNSkytimLRsSZSkJTnGhepM/fHGc=
-----END BLACKCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
May 27, 2021, 10:52:09 AM
No problem.

Custodial service-related issues can be posted in this board: Bitcoin Forum > Economy > Marketplace > Service Discussion
If you got further concerns or updates, you can create a thread there.
They've also got their own thread in Gambling board: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=320959.17000 (link to the current last page)

Thanks man! For the future I can use this approach. For now I solved it, issue was on email provider side, SATS ARE SAFU !  Cool
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
May 27, 2021, 04:06:17 AM
Guys many thanks for explanation & advices.
-snip-
BTW sorry for complete offtopic in here if some mod would decide to make a separate section about freebitco.in issues, kindly go ahead. I am just truly reader and once I faced this I just had to reply  Cool
No problem.

Custodial service-related issues can be posted in this board: Bitcoin Forum > Economy > Marketplace > Service Discussion
If you got further concerns or updates, you can create a thread there.
They've also got their own thread in Gambling board: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=320959.17000 (link to the current last page)
May 27, 2021, 03:03:00 AM
Guys many thanks for explanation & advices.
It ain't much but every sat counts Smiley. I used this in the early stage of faucets when btc quite cheaper than nowadays and was just playing around, educating family & stuff with TXs etc. using other 3rd party services (ofc I warned everyone about the not owning PKs) so that's the main issue, no address with own PKs  Cheesy

I will still try to find out what's the matter with the emails because till end of February I was receiving them without any problems. It has to be definitely possible to identify the root cause of not coming mails, it's a stupid issue imho.

I tried to propose that I'll deposit some stack of sats with signature, but got no response on that so I don't know if that make sense, I just thought that it'll proof enough that it belongs to me (who will deposit to the foreign account)? But got no response on that. Using that approach I just wanted to simply proof it & change the email address...

I will keep fighting and let you know, because that can happen to anyone, so I would firstly suggest to change the withdrawal address in the profile (mine here is the default one used for deposits)

BTW sorry for complete offtopic in here if some mod would decide to make a separate section about freebitco.in issues, kindly go ahead. I am just truly reader and once I faced this I just had to reply  Cool
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
May 26, 2021, 11:30:04 PM
-snip-
well then that's truly sad, I've got an issue with suddenly no receiving emails - contacted provider, contacted support here, I got same advice:
"Sign a message from the Bitcoin address in the profile or an address you previously deposited from requesting the email change."

So there is truly NO FURTHER OPTIONS right?
The problem I described is if you haven't changed the default withdrawal address in your profile.

Otherwise, you can follow the second option in their instruction which I believe any address you've used to deposit bitcoins to your account.
I can't quite figure out "or an address you previously deposited from" but it seems like the address you've used in your previous deposits, there's no other addresses a user can sign anyways.

Anyways, if you've deposited before and can't recall the address used, you can open their deposit page:
"Profile->Deposit" and there's a list of "old deposit addresses" below that window.
You can paste them to a blockexplorer to check for a transaction that looks like your previous deposit and take note on the input(s).
If it belongs to the wallet you used to deposit and it's non-custodial, you can try to sign a message using that address.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
May 26, 2021, 05:36:37 PM
well then that's truly sad, I've got an issue with suddenly no receiving emails - contacted provider, contacted support here, I got same advice:
"Sign a message from the Bitcoin address in the profile or an address you previously deposited from requesting the email change."

Assuming that you are unable to sign a message from the address in the profile... and that you didn't make any deposits to freebitco.in... and that you have explained this to their support and they are unwilling to provide any other assistance... then it would seem that, unfortunately, you're out of luck. Undecided

Unfortunately, this is one of the huge problems with custodial services... when things go sideways, it can be awfully difficult to recover access.

I really wish that some of these services would make their "account backup & recovery" options more obvious from the start, so that users could take the necessary precautions before they lose access to their accounts. Undecided

Telling a user 6-12 months later "sign a message from a staked btc address" isn't helpful... they should make users stake an address to start with and verify that address to show that their account is "backed up" or something.

Then I got stuck with some sats and I am really mad about it
I hope you didn't lose too much Undecided
May 26, 2021, 03:26:42 PM
a how do I find out the apec of the deposit if I did not make it not pay?
What do you mean by "make it not pay"? You haven't deposited yet?
In freebitco in, you can put a default withdrawal address in your profile which is tied to the account and can even be used to login.
That's one of the options in their instruction, you can sign a message using it unless it's a custodial service or exchange's deposit address.

If you didn't set one, it will default to a random address which I believe they have the control.
That will leave you no option.

Then I got stuck with some sats and I am really mad about it
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
April 13, 2021, 10:41:07 PM
What do you mean by "make it not pay"? You haven't deposited yet?
In freebitco in, you can put a default withdrawal address in your profile which is tied to the account and can even be used to login.
That's one of the options in their instruction, you can sign a message using it unless it's a custodial service or exchange's deposit address.

If you didn't set one, it will default to a random address which I believe they have the control.
That will leave you no option.
HCP
legendary
April 13, 2021, 12:14:54 PM
If you never deposited money to Freebitco.in, or you deposited from an exchange account or other service where you do not control the private keys, then you will not be able to sign a message from that address.

You have had an account on here since 2018, but obviously have not been active and have never staked an address or listed publicly a wallet address that you own.

You will need to talk to their support and advise them of this and see what other options you have for account recovery. In any case, posting in this thread is NOT what you should be doing.
April 13, 2021, 05:56:03 AM
<…>
They are pointing to this thread so you can read on how to sign a message from a bitcoin address, not in order to sign a bitcoin message on this thread.

The idea is that you sign a message from an address you previously made a deposit from on the platform you are having the issue with, and post it wherever they inform you to do it (presumably, answering to their support email, but certainly not on this thread).

legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 10532
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
April 13, 2021, 05:20:50 AM
<…>
They are pointing to this thread so you can read on how to sign a message from a bitcoin address, not in order to sign a bitcoin message on this thread.

The idea is that you sign a message from an address you previously made a deposit from on the platform you are having the issue with, and post it wherever they inform you to do it (presumably, answering to their support email, but certainly not on this thread).

<...> a how do I find out the apec of the deposit if I did not make it not pay?
That is something you need to work out with their support.
April 13, 2021, 05:10:48 AM
I made a request there they said to write here
What exactly did they say to do? Huh Can you copy/paste the instructions? Huh
Sign a message from the Bitcoin address in the profile or an address you previously deposited from requesting the email change. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/how-to-sign-a-message-990345
HCP
legendary
April 13, 2021, 04:20:12 AM
What exactly did they say to do? Huh Can you copy/paste the instructions? Huh
April 13, 2021, 03:50:00 AM
Please help someone took over my google account and my freebitco account
This is not the place to try and recover a freebitco.in account... you'll need to contact freebitco.in support. Seems like the only to do that is via a contact form hidden in the "FAQ" section on the website... after you've logged in Roll Eyes You might have to create a new account and then contact them using that new account.

But I doubt they'll help much, given this entry on their FAQ:
How can I keep my account secure?

By using a strong password, not re-using the same password on any other website and not sharing your password with anybody else. We recommend using a password manager like LastPass to create and store your passwords. If you do not use these security practices and your account gets hacked, we shall not be able to help you.
A password of 12345678 is definitely not a strong password Undecided

HCP
legendary
April 13, 2021, 12:51:32 AM
Please help someone took over my google account and my freebitco account
This is not the place to try and recover a freebitco.in account... you'll need to contact freebitco.in support. Seems like the only to do that is via a contact form hidden in the "FAQ" section on the website... after you've logged in Roll Eyes You might have to create a new account and then contact them using that new account.

But I doubt they'll help much, given this entry on their FAQ:
How can I keep my account secure?

By using a strong password, not re-using the same password on any other website and not sharing your password with anybody else. We recommend using a password manager like LastPass to create and store your passwords. If you do not use these security practices and your account gets hacked, we shall not be able to help you.
A password of 12345678 is definitely not a strong password Undecided
Pages:
Jump to: