Pages:
Author

Topic: I did it! Traveling with Bitcoin and $100 only - page 19. (Read 4957 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 106
have you tried direct payments with bitcoins to local businesses? are there any in turkey or egypt?
or only exchange to local currency?
have you checked rate differences between USD -> egypt pounds and BTC->pounds?

No, to be honest, I was doing local exchange face to face, in turkey there are couple of restaurant and stores accepting btc, but i was ehh , get fiat in best rate and go every where!

Yes, the exchange math you do it once! Then you have multiple guys in Egypt and Turkey who will give you real time matching, because you are dealing face to face! And Everyone  was into the experience itself! You know my other fellow BTC holder! its like exclusive club member reunion Smiley
this is one of my dreams to travel to some other country and take with me only bitcoin on my cell phone or even on some paper wallet and spend it there. although my dream involve spending bitcoin directly not to be forced to convert it to local currency and then pay for stuff.
like paying your hotel, taxi, restaurants,... with bitcoin.

1- I used Localbitcoins for cash! Search for best local currency rate!
2- How much I save from credit card fees and Fiat exchanges: $305.
but how about the price difference? for example if bitcoin is $4300 on localbitcoin I usually find much lower prices that they are buying at. won't that negate the $305 you saved up?

You deal with cash face to face, the deal is always close if not match to real time trading! Plus you are dealing with their local currency, Egypt and Turkey don't have tide currency exchange rate! So its dynamic day per day.
My journey started on Sep 21, from Boston to NYC, flight to Egypt then Turkey, back to Boston! Carrying $100 just in case and 3 bitcoins in my wallet!

Fuck If I will ever carry credit card, or cash any more:

3- Is it save to deal with Localbitcoins in person overseas? Yes, so amazing nice guys, you are making friends Smiley

You should try it! & $100 stayed with me! and I spent less than 1.9 btc in both countries!!!

I have always heard people here saying they will spend money on travels or buying for routine life, but I feel your story shall be an inspiration for many of us, who would like to use Bitcoin over cash, just out of curiosity, the prices were preety much fluctuating, did you had a contingency plan, Incase the price went to low. I am sure many will take your story as a example, but not all are lucky to have 3 Bitcoins to spare.

Yes, I was carrying my cards ( visa and master card one debit other credit) plus the $100.
Well I was doing small transactions 1 per 2 days ( So I don't cry if while it was going up!).

Plus both Egypt and Turkey kinda cheap for US citizen, or let me reverse it, if you go where locals go and eat plus travel, it will be freakin cheap.
it did cost me $10 a day in Egypt to travel and eat!
My journey started on Sep 21, from Boston to NYC, flight to Egypt then Turkey, back to Boston! Carrying $100 just in case and 3 bitcoins in my wallet!

3- Is it save to deal with Localbitcoins in person overseas? Yes, so amazing nice guys, you are making friends Smiley

You should try it! & $100 stayed with me! and I spent less than 1.9 btc in both countries!!!
Sorry to say so, but you must have a shitty credit card deal if that's the case. My debit card has zero fees for international withdrawals, I can't imagine one that has worse fees than the deviation localbitcoins has from actual bitcoin exchange rates.

Chase debit card and Wellsfargo credit/debit ! I don't know which bank you use!

Here is my trick with international guys ( Since now i have experience?), most have their number there, you call from your hotel ( free) and say I am at this hotel, would you like to make an exchange ( none said no), not just they showed up, they feel plus you that you are among this exclusive club! and most topic was when it will hit $5000.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform
[/b]3- Is it save to deal with Localbitcoins in person overseas? Yes, so amazing nice guys, you are making friends Smiley

It's the first thing i had in mind when reading your post. Maybe i'll try it soon. I had the idea to travel just using bitcoin but i had different plan to turn my coins to cash.
I'll try to deal with local person and we will see.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Congrats fellow user! You showed us that you can use BTC abroad for a travel, without having issues! But there will be always some risks with whom you should deal in LocalBitcoins! Good that you met good dealers, that enhanced your experience in travelling with Bitcoin!
Activity: 406
Merit: 107
It's really cool! I am very glad that you got it. The more such actions and people, the more popular will get bitcoin all over the world!
Activity: 238
Presale is live!
Good job dude! However you shouldn't be spending your Bitcoin right now. How will you feel when in 5 years they are quadruple or more of the value right now. Good experience but don't do it again.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1214

That's great and a wonderful experience, you should create a blog or an article about your experience so people will read that you can use bitcoin in your travel and daily activities like shopping and  going to a movie and eating in a restaurant you can open a blog in blogspot and it's free
Activity: 140
You must've had an awesome time there OP to spend 1.9 bitcoin in less than 9 days hahaha. That aside, i'm really surprised that you did survive with only bitcoins in a country like egypt cause as far as i know egypt is not really up to date with bitcoin payments so it kind of struck me. But the important thing is that you did it. Congratulations.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
"Highest ROI crypto infrastructure"
I am a Turkish citizen and I wonder how you spent your coins in Turkey. Could you please give more details?
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
A few questions.

How many days have you been traveling? How many BTC transactions, and how many non BTC transactions?

This would help us understand the value of your experience.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

Sorry to say so, but you must have a shitty credit card deal if that's the case. My debit card has zero fees for international withdrawals, I can't imagine one that has worse fees than the deviation localbitcoins has from actual bitcoin exchange rates.

I think he's referring to forex fees. If you are using a dollar based credit card and spending in say pounds, you usually get charged a 5% forex fee (they bump up the exchange rate by 5%). And if you are travelling to places like Egypt, they can bump up the exchange rate by as much as 10%. You might not even be aware this is happening unless you check the real exchange rates.
Activity: 111

Dude, that is fantastic!
How did you do it, bought on those places where BTC where accepted?

I would love to see a more detailed list on how you saved $300.
Activity: 60
have you tried direct payments with bitcoins to local businesses? are there any in turkey or egypt?
or only exchange to local currency?
have you checked rate differences between USD -> egypt pounds and BTC->pounds?
Activity: 145
🌟 eSports ICO: 01/11/2017 🌟
With bitcoin it's very convenient to travel and I want to earn a lot of coins to be able to try to do it. It is only necessary to choose those countries in which it is not prohibited.
Activity: 63
wah must be very fun yes to travel anywhere without complicated only use bitcoin and little money, no need to be afraid of robbers.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1000
that was awesome experience and apparently you're already proven that bitcoin can be use instead of money and also so popular on the countries which you already visited because i see you hadn't having trouble to made transactions with bitcoin and i think this is good reference for those who want to get vacation and not carrying much money but having bitcoin
Activity: 806
Merit: 507
Trusted Campaign manager
Good to know that friend. There will be a time in the future, when such instances will be normal and people will be using the bitcoins for their regular daily needs. As the bitcoins are getting popular; many shops, restaurants and other service providers will start to accept the bitcoins then it will be more easy to roam without fiat currency.
Activity: 266
Merit: 122
I think we should not worry travelling without fiat but only bitcoin because it is really accepted globally and consider as normal money or just in case it can always converted into fiat if others would not accept it. Bitcoin is getting more popular and I will not shock if I heard a lot of people using bitcoin as their pocket money while travelling.
Pages:
Jump to: