Pages:
Author

Topic: I give up - page 6. (Read 22613 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
May 23, 2014, 06:47:20 PM
I'm willing to bet she's more than a little ashamed, and probably upset by some of the words and ideas thrown at her.  If she were to reply, someone would probably accuse her of being a panhandler or a fraud.  The only way to verify the latter is not the case would be to ask for personal information.  Do you expect her to give that out, especially considering the treatment here?  I'd be rather paranoid myself.

I thought of that, that's why I asked her to PM me, so it's at least not going to happen "on stage". But, yes, if she contacts me, I will ask for some personal information to at least make sure the story checks out by and large. I understand that's not ideal, but necessary I believe.

I want to help her out because she sounded seriously distraught, but I'm not allowing myself to be taken advantage of either. In fact, one could argue that preventing the latter is what enables the former.

She never logged back on to bitcoin talk since she first posted this.  She might or might not log back on.  All the best veronica
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
May 23, 2014, 06:40:33 PM
I'm willing to bet she's more than a little ashamed, and probably upset by some of the words and ideas thrown at her.  If she were to reply, someone would probably accuse her of being a panhandler or a fraud.  The only way to verify the latter is not the case would be to ask for personal information.  Do you expect her to give that out, especially considering the treatment here?  I'd be rather paranoid myself.

I thought of that, that's why I asked her to PM me, so it's at least not going to happen "on stage". But, yes, if she contacts me, I will ask for some personal information to at least make sure the story checks out by and large. I understand that's not ideal, but necessary I believe.

I want to help her out because she sounded seriously distraught, but I'm not allowing myself to be taken advantage of either. In fact, one could argue that preventing the latter is what enables the former.
Activity: 616
I got Satoshi's avatar!
May 23, 2014, 06:33:27 PM
Well Veronica obviously isn't that poor, considering:
This was my sure thing so I could stay at home with my daughter
If anyone's going to go around donating bitcoin, or anything for that matter, I'm sure there are a lot of other people who need it more.

I'm sure there are. I humbly suggest you start looking into what you can do for them.
Not to worry, I already am.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
May 23, 2014, 06:26:24 PM

legendary
May 23, 2014, 06:10:33 PM
If anyone's going to go around donating bitcoin, or anything for that matter, I'm sure there are a lot of other people who need it more.

I'm sure there are. I humbly suggest you start looking into what you can do for them.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
May 23, 2014, 05:47:44 PM

How do you know that she doesn't live in a poor country and needs say $20,000 to stay at home with her daughter for a few years? She then bought a few coins with her life savings because people kept saying its going straight to $5k. Some objectivity helps.
Activity: 616
I got Satoshi's avatar!
May 23, 2014, 05:33:09 PM
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
May 23, 2014, 01:05:39 PM
I sent her a PM too. I remembered her that she is a noob and that she should keep investing in USD. Long live noobs! Cheesy
Activity: 196
May 23, 2014, 11:49:30 AM
I rarely get to the point of cursing someone out on this forum, but I'll make an exception here: You're a grade A cunt.
[...]
I'm not asking for your pity if/when a not exactly genius person makes a bad decision. I ask you to refrain from gloating.

Well, you're free to continue the crusade against all gloating on the internet. I think you might find it an uphill battle though Smiley

Valid point.

Maybe there's something more productive I can do though.

Veronica26, if you're still reading this thread, can you get in contact with me via PM?

If we can find a way to make sure your story checks out, I'd be willing to "reimburse" at least part of your loss by donating a coin or two to you.

I think this is very admirable too. It's makes a nice change from those who continually tell people they're basically stupid & often in the rudest tone.
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
May 23, 2014, 10:39:32 AM
Thanks.

Sent her a PM as well. If she has email notification on, maybe she'll reply. If not, was worth a try.

Thank you for your offer and generosity. And post here if you managed to find her so others can donate too.
Activity: 552
Merit: 501
May 23, 2014, 09:54:48 AM
the community should support people that are doing the difficult move to get invested in bitcoin, and it should try especially help those who have suffered losses and not laugh at them. not that the community could not afford this. it is not lacking funds. it seems it lacks empathy.

That's exactly my sentiment. I did well, she didn't (assuming all of this is real), why not help out a fellow human being. Really quite a simple notion.

A truly inspiring Feyman quote

Did Feynman really say that? Let it be true

Or is Richard Feyman different from Feynman? I think we should be told   Smiley

Totally true(ish) quote. Don't you know the Feynman flowchart

Don't know how you got the "Feyman" spelling error in there. My sig says "Feynman", no?

Brilliant  Smiley

It does. I need new glasses.

legendary
May 23, 2014, 09:33:55 AM

the community should support people that are doing the difficult move to get invested in bitcoin, and it should try especially help those who have suffered losses and not laugh at them. not that the community could not afford this. it is not lacking funds. it seems it lacks empathy.

i would also donate.

I very much do not agree. I don't think investing into bitcoin should be accessible by grandmas at this point in time. Somebody who has never invested before should probably consider huge mutual funds with 3% yearly guaranteed returns, not the super risky and volatile tech investment. Encouraging somebody who obviously is not a professional or risk-tolerant trader would just lead to other Veronicas losing money, you are not helping, quite the contrary.

However, I very much do like the spirit of helping the good cause, as with supporting the wrong Satoshi; just don't encourage people to invest their money under a false premise that they will be helped if it all goes wrong - most of them won't. You are spawning actual losers and false beggars with acts like this. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's how it is.

Absolute agreement.

That's why I'm preaching over and over again we shouldn't present Bitcoin as "the investment made in heaven" to newcomers, but instead say:

Rule 1: Read the Satoshi white paper. (Answer A) Does it get you excited? Do you feel this is going to change the world? Good, consider investing (but see rule 2). (Answer B) You have no fucking clue what all the numbers and weird math symbols mean? Please abstain from investing, for your own good.

Rule 2: Never invest more than you can afford to lose. Depending on what you earn, what your family status is, that could mean $100 or $1M. But be honest with yourself in appraising how much you really can afford to lose without going nuts (or broke).

Rule 3: You're still here? Welcome on board! Be prepared for wild price swings. Historically, price has appreciated fantastically, but nobody knows how high exactly we will go in the long run, and how much time there will be between highs and lows. If the thought of sitting on a USD net loss for more than a year makes you squeamish, you probably should invest only a fraction of what you originally had planned to put in.

legendary
May 23, 2014, 09:26:59 AM

That's exactly my sentiment. I did well, she didn't (assuming all of this is real), why not help out a fellow human being. Really quite a simple notion.

Totally true(ish) quote. Don't you know the Feynman flowchart

Don't know how you got the "Feyman" spelling error in there. My sig says "Feynman", no?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche
May 23, 2014, 09:24:39 AM

i would also donate.

I very much do not agree. I don't think investing into bitcoin should be accessible by grandmas at this point in time. Somebody who has never invested before should probably consider huge mutual funds with 3% yearly guaranteed returns, not the super risky and volatile tech investment. Encouraging somebody who obviously is not a professional or risk-tolerant trader would just lead to other Veronicas losing money, you are not helping, quite the contrary.

However, I very much do like the spirit of helping the good cause, as with supporting the wrong Satoshi; just don't encourage people to invest their money under a false premise that they will be helped if it all goes wrong - most of them won't. You are spawning actual losers and false beggars with acts like this. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's how it is.
Activity: 235
I was promised da moon
May 23, 2014, 09:21:32 AM
Thanks.

Sent her a PM as well. If she has email notification on, maybe she'll reply. If not, was worth a try.

Just watch out not to get scammed by others. BTW, I lost 2% of my stash at Gox, could you please donate? Wink

No, serious mode switched on again: Your offer is really generous and I appreciate that. If there were more people like you, we wouldn't need bitcoin to make the world a better place. I think I'm going to donate at least 10% of bitcoin gains to some kind of charity. We all should.
May 23, 2014, 09:21:14 AM
I rarely get to the point of cursing someone out on this forum, but I'll make an exception here: You're a grade A cunt.
[...]
I'm not asking for your pity if/when a not exactly genius person makes a bad decision. I ask you to refrain from gloating.

Well, you're free to continue the crusade against all gloating on the internet. I think you might find it an uphill battle though Smiley

Valid point.

Veronica26, if you're still reading this thread, can you get in contact with me via PM?

If we can find a way to make sure your story checks out, I'd be willing to "reimburse" at least part of your loss by donating a coin or two to you.

i wish a in forum where so much wealth has been accumulated over the years, we would see much more reactions like this one in contrast to the cold-hearted "u lost big and i lol" that has been posted here.

i would also donate.

Me too (though it won't be a full coin if things carry on the way they have done the last few days ...)
Activity: 798
Merit: 250
CurioInvest [IEO Live]
May 23, 2014, 09:20:13 AM
You guys are aware there are hundreds of people who did what she alleged to do and would be safe to assume have lost way more than she did?? I see horror stories all the time.

Donate, ha. Learning experience is the reward. To each their own though.
May 23, 2014, 09:18:49 AM

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106
May 23, 2014, 09:17:10 AM
[...]

Valid point.

i wish a in forum where so much wealth has been accumulated over the years, we would see much more reactions like this one in contrast to the cold-hearted "u lost big and i lol" that has been posted here.

i would also donate.
legendary
May 23, 2014, 08:56:35 AM
Thanks.

Pages:
Jump to: