Pages:
Author

Topic: ICBIT Derivatives Market (USD/BTC futures trading) - LIVE - page 15. (Read 97654 times)

Activity: 674
Merit: 500
Hi Fireball,

could you please clarify why today's clearing price of the BUJ contracts (04.13) was below the spot price. The spot price was around 142-143 as the screen below clearly shows and the clearing price was 141. How could it be?

That's because the last futures trade happened to be $141. This issue will be addressed, as I promised to implement averaging over the last hour of futures trades instead of just picking the latest one.

However, it's perfectly normal situation, sometimes we may see backwardation and clearings would be well below the spot price (as e.g. right now on BUM3 the price is WAY above the spot price).

To conclude: there is nothing bad or extraordinary in the BUJ3 futures' daily clearing price to get close to the spot price as the futures is nearing the final settlement.
Activity: 297
Merit: 250
Hi Fireball,

could you please clarify why today's clearing price of the BUJ contracts (04.13) was below the spot price. The spot price was around 142-143 as the screen below clearly shows and the clearing price was 141. How could it be?

Activity: 408
Merit: 261
Yes perhaps you are right.  I'm so used to thinking about thinking about these kinds of trades on a leveraged basis.  Perhaps with no leverage it becomes a lot safer, but then it just becomes a question of whether after commissions, fees, and cost of funds if that's a good use of capital to be tied up for months at a time, and what "risk free rate" / opportunity cost would you compare it to for Bitcoin?

There's a good paper by Francis Longstaff called "Losing Money on Arbitrages" that covers just these kind of questions (for the pre-Bitcoin economy) and I happen to have a copy right here...

Abstract:
In theory, an investor can make infinite profits by taking unlimited positions in an arbitrage. In reality, however, investors must satisfy margin requirements which completely change the economics of arbitrage. We derive the optimal investment policy for a risk-averse investor in a market where there are arbitrage opportunities. We show that it is often optimal to underinvest in the arbitrage by taking a smaller position than margin constraints allow. In some cases, it is actually optimal for an investor to walk away from a pure arbitrage opportunity. Even when the optimal policy is followed, the arbitrage strategy may underperform the riskless asset or have an unimpressive Sharpe ratio. Furthermore, the arbitrage portfolio typically experiences losses at some point before the final convergence date. These results have important implications for the role of arbitrageurs in financial markets.

and a quote:
So there’s an arbitrage. So what? This desk has lost a lot of money on arbitrages. Arbitrages aren’t particularly great trades.
– Treasury bond trader at a major Wall Street investment bank.
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
Presumably only a risk if you have actually leveraged the underlying position? With enough capital (and i accept a lot would be needed), the risk of margin closure is zero and simply holding to settlement would see any widened spreads converge again, no?
Activity: 408
Merit: 261
Any reason this won't work?

A cash vs. futures position is not an arbitrage trade (in the strict sense of the word) but a relative value trade.  Spreads can widen as well as narrow, especially on longer dated futures or in volatile (Bitcoin!) or illiquid markets.  It's entirely possible for the spread to temporarily widen and the bot to run out of capital and blow up, especially on daily margined futures.

Remember the old saying, "Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"?  (--John Maynard Keynes)

Yours is not a terrible idea, but you asked, so that's the risk.
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
Steps to solving the futures liquidity problem at ICBIT.

1. Create a "pooled fund", where users can allocate portions of their available balance (one fund for BTC, one for $) into a holding area.
2. Create a bot and use this fund to auto-execute arbitrage opportunities between Futures and Exchange markets (both local Icbit and Mt Gox exchanges).  This will provide liquidity to the market, and increase trade volume, not to mention establishing a lucrative interest rate to attract further deposits.
3. Repay arbitrage gain back into pooled account to be divided amongst contributors, users can also withdraw balances back into main account at any point, along with interest "earned".
4. Collect reasonable commission on arbitrage profit for ICBIT.
5. Pay me commission (this is the most important step).
6. Everybody wins.

Any reason this won't work?
EDIT: Again at todays clearing, the trading range did not move.  This instrument is temporarily deadlocked.

It's weird because I just checked all prices today. Allright, I'll have another look and fix. Thanks for reporting the problem!
Activity: 547
Decor in numeris
@Fireball

Something is again wrong with the trading range of gold.  For two days, there have been asks all the way down to the bottom of the trading range (13.04 BTC/oz, corresponding to a bitcoin price of around 119 USD), but no-one wants to buy at that unfavorable rate, to the last trade price does not change, and at the last clearing the trading range did not move.  In this kind of situations, the trading range should be recentered around the lowest ask (or highest bid if movement goes the other way), so trading can be resumed.  It may need doing this for two clearings to get to a reasonable trading range for Gold.

EDIT: Again at todays clearing, the trading range did not move.  This instrument is temporarily deadlocked.
If spot price won't drop during the next hour, an additional clearing to enhance trading range may happen.
Please be well prepared, you have at least one hour.

To zebedee: We are still with additional clearings, moving to 2 clearings per day some time next week, I suppose (this has to be announced well before it happens).
donator
Activity: 668
If we now have two clearings a day (do we?) then it's even more imperative that the contracts specify at precisely what time the 24-hour VWAP is taken at.  Just saying final day's average price, and assuming people will read it as 8pm, is not good enough (and never was - as this illustrates well).
donator
I would disagree with this point, but note that I used the word deceptive and not dishonest. Though I do believe that you have something to gain by doing a manual clearing in that the exchange has reduced risk (this should not be disregarded, as risk is used as a financial instrument), my main point is that the trading range on the site and the definition of a trading session led many users to believe that they would at least have some time to react to >10% market moves.
I think what he has to gain, and what has motivated this, is much more obvious: if BTC price has significantly moved then the trading ranges are old (either no offers or no bids are left) and no trading happens.  He's losing out on a lot of potential fees from trading (fees aren't low), and hence waiting 12 hours or so is too expensive.
We just deployed the progressive fee discount schedule.

It is experimental: if you don't get your discount, please send us an email but you're not automatically eligible for a refund. Discounts are subject to change without prior notice. Discount values changed in future will not be applied to trades happened in the past.

The discount is global, it works for both currency exchange and futures market. It is based on a so-called past 30 days volume index.

VolumeIndex = Your past 30 days volume in BTC in currency Exchange market + Your past 30 days volume in the Futures market in contracts.

The discount table is:

Min. Vol. IndexTotal discount
2005%
40010%
80015%
160020%
320030%
640040%
1280050%

So e.g. if you bought 10 BTC in the currency exchange market and bought 150 BUJ3 contracts and 50 ESM3, your volume index is 10+150+50 = 210, and you get 5% discount for all trading fees.
bV
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
I want to stress one specific fact, which clearly separates honest and dishonest behavior:
If an additional clearing followed by margin calls happened WITHOUT spot market movement into the same direction (or even worse, into different direction), then it's clearly an abuse.
If the spot market moves and additional clearing is done to adapt to changed conditions (and direction of futures price change corresponds to the spot market price change), then there is no dishonest behavior involved.

I would disagree with this point, but note that I used the word deceptive and not dishonest. Though I do believe that you have something to gain by doing a manual clearing in that the exchange has reduced risk (this should not be disregarded, as risk is used as a financial instrument), my main point is that the trading range on the site and the definition of a trading session led many users to believe that they would at least have some time to react to >10% market moves.

It was grossly negligent on your part to implement this risk management solution without redefining a trading session and giving everyone with a contract notice and opportunity to object. Honestly, I still don't believe you should be able to do so without everyone's permission that is still in a contract with you. A trading session should not be defined outside the contract to begin with. This is a material part of the contract that was (and still is) omitted.

While I believe that negligence caused the entire loss that I endured, I don't think it would be realistic to hold you accountable for the entire realized loss for the contracts. I'm actually not sure what would be fair in this case, and I'm open to suggestions from the community, but at the very least the fees should be returned or credited towards future volume.
currently, the additional clearings are a scam.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is a scam, but I believe it is at the very least deceptive practice and I would go so far as to say that it is a breech of contract.  The text on the site defined a trading session is 24 hours, with a maximum trading range of 10%. Fireball, could you provide the original text that was on the site before you updated so that it can be considered? 

I had contracts of BUJ3 with enough money in reserve to handle 10% movement, and had my finger on the button to add additional funds if the clearing proved to move the price down to a range that might put some of my contracts in jeopardy.  The clearing actually moved the price range center from 103 to 106, so I did not add additional funds. The manual clearing I believe moved the price range center to 95, causing a loss of a very large portion of my positions as the price went down to 86. I've since closed all of my positions at a great loss to myself as I've lost all confidence that this site will perform as it says it will without making things up as they go.

I feel that this manual clearing should not have happened according to the definitions laid out on the site at the time. I feel that the exchange did this as a CYA disregarding the fact this is not a provision set forth and agreed upon with its customers. Some sort of compensation is due.

Thanks for being sane. I have to say, that previously we had many additional clearings, and this was not the problem.

I want to stress one specific fact, which clearly separates honest and dishonest behavior:
If an additional clearing followed by margin calls happened WITHOUT spot market movement into the same direction (or even worse, into different direction), then it's clearly an abuse.
If the spot market moves and additional clearing is done to adapt to changed conditions (and direction of futures price change corresponds to the spot market price change), then there is no dishonest behavior involved.

And every trader who trades futures must be well prepared and not over-leveraged. Because if spot market drops, and scheduled clearing happens, then your position would still be forcefully liquidated if margin was not enough.

It may sound strange from the exchange owner, but I strongly advise all of you to not overleverage. Trade with confidence, trade with safety. Leverage is a powerful mechanism, use it wisely.

However, I took your concerns and we are trying to abstain from additional clearings now. Instead, the proposed move to the 2 clearings per day would be beneficial.

As for the website contents, you can check archive.org for a trusted source, but I didn't rewrite anything, just added a clause about additional clearing possibility.
donator
Settlement price determination is done by "taking a screenshot".

The 24 hour weighted average price (VWAP) showing on Mt. Gox.com website is what gets used for settlement. [Edit: The 24 hour VWAP at the "largest exchange" is what gets used for settlement, but that just happens to be Mt. Gox, for now.]

The settlement occurs at the clearing time (20:00 UTC) on the settlement date (e.g., April 14th, 2012 for BUJ3).   That's from the contract, combined with general instructions from the page describing how ICBIT futures work.  

As far as that number being obtained from a "screen shot", every trade at Mt. Gox is logged and is publicly available.  From that data, you can calculate the 24 hour VWAP yourself.  If you have reason to believe the VWAP grabbed at the time of settlement (20:00 UTC) is not accurate please raise that concern publicly as that would be a problem (as many merchants, traders, and others use that metric from Mt. Gox as well, ... though nobody else has raised concern about its accuracy.)

Of course, there needs to be just "one price" used for settlement at ICBIT.  And that price needs to be known at the time of that settlement day's clearing.   If you believe the use of this 24 hour VWAP is problematic, or whatever issue you seem to have with this metric being used, please clearly state your argument.   If I recollect it seems that you are saying you believe the 24 hour metric at 00:00 UTC (four hours after clearing) should be the metric used and not the number that existed at the time of the 20:00 clearing.  Am I understanding correctly where you believe the issue lies?  If not, please clearly describe what exactly is the particular problem you see with using the 24 hour VWAP that exists at the time settlement (& daily clearing) occurs.
I've been through it before, not going to rehash it all.  Basically a day doesn't end at 8pm is my issue - the contract states a day, and doesn't state 8pm.

I made money off the interpretation, so I'm not sore about it.  I just think it's wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000
But i think this is the fact that you were overleveraged to >20% move on spot market, and such moves and corresponding additional clearings already happened this month. So risk was real. An you have to accept it.
bV
Activity: 29
it all depends on how you define overleveraged. I was not overleveraged adhering to the rules set forth by the exchange, which is my point
Activity: 297
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000
davidoski, J_Coin, when the good trader (who cares about his whatevercoins) is opening his positions and calculates the risk it involves he studies the history of the exchange he is trading on. And he discovers that "additional clearings to change the price range" already happened several times and the risk of repeating it exists whatever contract says.
Moreover, what competent futures trader can expect from his exchange in situation when market moves more than 20%? Sit still as nothing happened? Wait 20 hours till next clearing? Really? How you then define competence?  Grin
Activity: 11
@starik, the issue here is adherence to a contract.  To be respected in the world, you must adhere to your word.
Pages:
Jump to: