Pages:
Author

Topic: ICBIT Derivatives Market (USD/BTC futures trading) - LIVE - page 33. (Read 97654 times)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500
please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems there is an off-by-one error in the generated depth diagrams.

A good example is the Gold market, since it's tiny.....

for example: the 2-sized step at 152 is displayed at at 162.5, where actually the 5-sized step is located

Activity: 602
As for next futures settlement month, the reasonable tradeoff would February, 2013.

That seems short enough to make them interesting. 
The longer until settlement, the less the price will be coupled to the spot market price, and the less useful it will be for e.g. hedging.

Both stages of the rate development are interesting. In the early stage, the rate can move away from spot rates, and reflect sentiments, or just plain speculation, allowing for some interesting arbitrage. When settlement approaches, we'll see the rages converging, which makes the futures more interesting for hedging.

Thus I think February will be to early as a settlement date for a new BUZ. Especially, since we have two further futures (Oil and Gold) which are scheduled for February already and thus can be expected to converge (it looks they are starting to converge even now, an there is more volume, esp. in Oil, recently). So people can e.g. buy GDG for hedging a BTC position. Hey, hedging BTC with a gold derivative sounds cool.

Consequently, the new BUZ should be rather in the experimentation stage when Gold and Oil approach settlement, so the date should rather be April or May, IMHO.
Activity: 532
I added experimental Depth of the Market (DOM) chart, it's available via tabs additionally to the price chart. The price chart also got slightly reconfigured, to prevent it from displaying negative values on the left axis (to be tested how good it performs, though).

The DOM chart automatically updates, so there is no need to hit refresh button in your webbrowser. Please let me know if it helps, and anything you wish to be improved.

This is definitely helpful, but I'd much rather see a text display of the entire orderbook, rather than a graph (again, just scroll bar the current orderbook, and I'd be stoked). Both would be supernice.

It would also be very nice to have the day's trade history available. The rss feed is a nice idea. (beats twitter IMO)
Activity: 446
Merit: 250
+1 I like this, one more suggestion for the tabs, how about a tab for the last 50 or 100 trades with timestamps, maybe even a scrolling last trade kinda thing, but I do like how the site is improving daily! Looking good, nice UI.

I second this!  Both the +1 and the suggestion.

In fact, I think the trading history could be published in a way that would make it easier to refute at least some future attacks on your site's honesty. 

There could be a link generating a list of all transactions in the last week, with timestamps, amount and prices, and all clearings done.  The list should be autogenerated on the fly so it contains even the last transaction, and it should be cryptographically signed.  Then after trading, users could in principle download the list, verify that their trades are present and as expect - and later verify against a newer list that the logs have not been tampered with in between.  The cryptographic signature prevents a malicious user from altering the list and claiming tampering.

I do like this idea also, but fireball is only one man/woman (dont know) I dont want to overload the person, again I dont know how hard this cryto signed stufff will take, but i assume its kinda difficult. but I think fireball is still doing one hell of a job! Its a work in progress, that is coming into its own!
Depending on the implementation, it could be a simple as clearsigning rss feed entries. But, of course, spamming Fireball with feature requests is a bad idea.
Activity: 462
+1 I like this, one more suggestion for the tabs, how about a tab for the last 50 or 100 trades with timestamps, maybe even a scrolling last trade kinda thing, but I do like how the site is improving daily! Looking good, nice UI.

In fact, I think the trading history could be published in a way that would make it easier to refute at least some future attacks on your site's honesty. 

There could be a link generating a list of all transactions in the last week, with timestamps, amount and prices, and all clearings done.  The list should be autogenerated on the fly so it contains even the last transaction, and it should be cryptographically signed.  Then after trading, users could in principle download the list, verify that their trades are present and as expect - and later verify against a newer list that the logs have not been tampered with in between.  The cryptographic signature prevents a malicious user from altering the list and claiming tampering.

I do like this idea also, but fireball is only one man/woman (dont know) I dont want to overload the person, again I dont know how hard this cryto signed stufff will take, but i assume its kinda difficult. but I think fireball is still doing one hell of a job! Its a work in progress, that is coming into its own!
legendary
Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000
I think march and/or june is more interesting, like on FORTS Wink
Activity: 547
Decor in numeris
Thanks for your answers!

As for next futures settlement month, the reasonable tradeoff would February, 2013.

That seems short enough to make them interesting. 
Activity: 674
On "judgment day" when the BUZ2 contracts are settled, will the settlement price be limited by the max 10% per day rule?
No limitations on settlement price, however in the so-called worst case, if there is a lack of money then profit will be [slightly] less, exactly by the amount of deficit.

For information, if clearing would happen today, the worst-case scenario would not be triggered.

I am thinking about the situation where there happens to be extreme volatility in the BTC price just prior to the 15th December, and/or somebody successfully manipulates the BUZ2 rate the last couple of clearings.
Yes, extreme volatility often happens during last trading day, but it's often viewed as chance to make big money with almost zero risk. So it's self adjusting.

And will a new future (BUZ3?) be introduced?  I assume it will.  Will the two overlap in time?  And how long will the new future run?  The longer until settlement, the less the price will be coupled to the spot market price, and the less useful it will be for e.g. hedging.
Yes, of course a new one will be introduced before the existing one runs out so that users have time to move to the next one if they don't want settlement.

And will a new future (BUZ3?) be introduced?  I assume it will.  Will the two overlap in time?  And how long will the new future run?  The longer until settlement, the less the price will be coupled to the spot market price, and the less useful it will be for e.g. hedging.

Once there is volume to support it, there really ought to be one for each month (or something like that).
Decor in numeris
Oh, and while I am here I have a question for you, Fireball.

On "judgment day" when the BUZ2 contracts are settled, will the settlement price be limited by the max 10% per day rule?

I am thinking about the situation where there happens to be extreme volatility in the BTC price just prior to the 15th December, and/or somebody successfully manipulates the BUZ2 rate the last couple of clearings.

Decor in numeris

I added experimental Depth of the Market (DOM) chart, it's available via tabs additionally to the price chart. The price chart also got slightly reconfigured, to prevent it from displaying negative values on the left axis (to be tested how good it performs, though).

The DOM chart automatically updates, so there is no need to hit refresh button in your webbrowser. Please let me know if it helps, and anything you wish to be improved.
This is a great improvement Smiley

This is a great improvement Smiley
Activity: 131
Merit: 100
Wow, an 9000 shares big bit at 10.7 usd!
Good we can see it now Smiley I dont think an other crazy marketmanipulater can break that one Grin
Activity: 674

no fun tonight, bear didnt show up tonight, kinda boring and no activity, no big trades one way or the other. all is calm on the front, sleep tight tonight.
Decor in numeris
I missed the "fun" tonight by around 15 min. Sad

Has the evil manipulator returned, or is everything calm and serene?
wow MPOE is first on my ignore list. It seems you watch for a day or two and you know everything about what is happening, and it seems you shit on any thread that MIGHT be a competitor of MPOE. So you are officially on the shit list. As far as proof and facts, "I don't think you know what that word means" ie inego montoya  . what proof? an order did get processed, how is that proof. Maybe its like your sites sez, if you mess up your order, you just made a DONATION to MPOE.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1033
So Fireball has to your knowledge intervened to fix the price to a different level than the market showed, and this you bring as an argument against the otherwise clearly proven fact that he...is fixing the price.

You aren't attentive. Fireball did not manipulate the price, he did clearing after price changed. Margin calls were postponed and positions were not forcibly closed.

You're again trying to mis-represent the facts.

And, obviously, if he could simply manipulate the price he wouldn't have needed that additional clearing.
Decor in numeris
I think Fireballs explanation makes sense.

As far as I'm concerned the point has been clearly proven. If any fools want to part with their money from this point onwards they're welcome to do it, but they won't be able to claim that they "couldn't have known". Simple as that.

Nobody can place money at any exchange and claim that they "couldn't have known" if the site runs off with the money.  Unfortunately.  That severely limits how much money I place anywhere.  Sad

With ICBIT, the risk that they run off with my money is real.  So is the risk that they are closed by the authorities, or are hacked.  I still think the largest risk to my money is the trades I make.   Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: