Pages:
Author

Topic: ICO Projects and Crypto Platforms News and Info. Make Profitable Trades. - page 6. (Read 16504 times)

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Peter Todd comments on Ethereum in an interview.  It's not good.  Sad

Source

Cliff notes:

- Solidity has bizarre constructs

- Having that kind of flaw (in Solidity) causing the DAO bug seems bizarre

- Discourages clients to use Ethereum due to fundamental issues

- Ethereum environment difficult to write applications that will scale

- Dapps will have performance issues as the number of transactions go up

- Needs to move to a different model to scale up

Good summary, of the parts about Ethereum. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
I noticed the R3 consortium is going with its own proprietary block chain now. Was this the case before the DAO debacle, or is this a result?

I don't think R3 commited in using Ethereum.  Sure they did some tests and research using the platform, but I don't think they found it as something they would use.  R3 apparently hired Peter Todd as a consultant.  Please listen to the interview posted a couple of posts above.  He basically bashed Ethereum and Solidity specifically.

Thanks man, laying next to the misses on the mobile so I can't play any sound ATM, but I will take a listen to this over my morning cup Smiley

legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
I noticed the R3 consortium is going with its own proprietary block chain now. Was this the case before the DAO debacle, or is this a result?

I don't think R3 commited in using Ethereum.  Sure they did some tests and research using the platform, but I don't think they found it as something they would use.  R3 apparently hired Peter Todd as a consultant.  Please listen to the interview posted a couple of posts above.  He basically bashed Ethereum and Solidity specifically.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
Activity: 123
Merit: 100
If anyone wants to see new and upcoming ICO's check out my site: http://icocountdown.com

You can also see all my due dillgence conducted at the top of the site or here:

https://medium.com/@icocountdown/

Thanks for the info, really good consolidated resource for an ICO newb like myself. Prior to this I was just on Smith&Crown.
Keep up the due diligence. I am tuned in!
legendary
Peter Todd comments on Ethereum in an interview.  It's not good.  Sad

Source

Cliff notes:

- Solidity has bizarre constructs

- Having that kind of flaw (in Solidity) causing the DAO bug seems bizarre

- Discourages clients to use Ethereum due to fundamental issues

- Ethereum environment difficult to write applications that will scale

- Dapps will have performance issues as the number of transactions go up

- Needs to move to a different model to scale up
Activity: 1008
Merit: 500
If anyone wants to see new and upcoming ICO's check out my site: http://icocountdown.com

You can also see all my due dillgence conducted at the top of the site or here:

https://medium.com/@icocountdown/
legendary

I will look into that once it gets listed in an exchange.  I usually give new projects and platforms the benefit of the doubt, but it would be a big factor if it can maintain a decent amount of daily trading volume.
Activity: 432
Merit: 250
Bitrated user: Foex.
legendary
A week in review.

DigixDAO:  Will a hardfork affect Digix?

Source

Ethereum:  Security Alert – DoS Vulnerability in the Soft Fork

Source

Lisk:  Early Adopter Bounties Distribution — June 26, 2016

Source

Stellar:  Making Blockchain Technology Real: Why We’re Giving Away Lumens

Source

Storj:  What is Storj? (Part 1)

Source

From what I gathered, there are still no signs of light from what I see on the Ethereum platform fiasco.  There was even a comment from someone that "This fiasco was engineered right from the beginning."  I guess there's no choice but a hard fork aka a roll back is needed then?  What do you guys think?   
legendary
Risk is always a factor in trading.  It's nothing new, and it won't really make sense if your trading decision changes because of it.  I mean isn't that what we trade for?  To take calculated risks...?

Awright, then: too risky for my blood. Smiley

On another note, let's say Ethereum does the hard fork.  Will that stop people from attacking the network again?  The DAO hack was just a precedent.  Expect people to try these attacks again and again.  And if discovered and proven that the fundamental flaw is in Solidity itself, expect the worst.

I honestly don't know if the hard fork will stop any attacks: the soft-fork vulnerability was recently discovered. Hacking Distributed is prolly your best source on the subject.

http://hackingdistributed.com/

They're the guys who found the soft-fork vulnerability, so they're the best source to check.
legendary
Possible short opportunity on ETH coming.  

Relevant link: "Ethereum's DAO Wars Soft Fork is a Potential DoS Vector"

But that noted, an ETH short is a risky bet because community sentiment seems to be solidifying in favour of a hardfork. To be frank, I don't know what's going to happen to ETH: the riskiness on both sides has gotten me leery. Undecided But then again, I'm not much of a trader. Smiley

Risk is always a factor in trading.  It's nothing new, and it won't really make sense if your trading decision changes because of it.  I mean isn't that what we trade for?  To take calculated risks...?

On another note, let's say Ethereum does the hard fork.  Will that stop people from attacking the network again?  The DAO hack was just a precedent.  Expect people to try these attacks again and again.  And if discovered and proven that the fundamental flaw is in Solidity itself, expect the worst.
legendary
Possible short opportunity on ETH coming.  

Relevant link: "Ethereum's DAO Wars Soft Fork is a Potential DoS Vector"

But that noted, an ETH short is a risky bet because community sentiment seems to be solidifying in favour of a hardfork. To be frank, I don't know what's going to happen to ETH: the riskiness on both sides has gotten me leery. Undecided But then again, I'm not much of a trader. Smiley
legendary
Possible short opportunity on ETH coming.  Weakening price action + lower than usual volume are early signs that it's starting to go down.  As we have seen, it was really supposed to go down as a lot of holders dumped their ETH tokens and are not touching this at the moment.  But I speculate the price has surged artificially by the insiders in order to save the platform.  And rightly so, they have to protect their entire investment.  

The question is how long would it last though.  We still haven't heard from the attacker in days and he could still be there lurking and waiting for the right moment to strike.

ETH Chart

legendary
A little update on BTS.  Although there's little volume, the price has started to move again.  This could be a start of a breakout.

There's no news about BTS as of now.

BTS Chart

Volume is low, but decent.  Majority of the volume comes from BTS/CNY at BTC38 and Poloniex.  Could this be another speculative trade by Chinese traders?

legendary
Nxt announces: ‘ARDOR’

Source

The Nxt core dev team is letting anyone get into the blockchain space with a new child chain platform, ARDOR, which will incorporate the technologies proven for years by the Nxt 1.0 cryptocurrency and blockchain. Soon, anyone will be able to create their own solutions using the blockchain technology with the Ardor child chains.

How to get Ardor

You’ll be able to participate in Ardor right away. As Ardor continues testing and development, Nxt 1.9 will be released. With Nxt 1.9, you’ll get your first chance to own a piece of Ardor. All those who hold an amount of NXT will also get a piece of Ardor. Snapshots will start be taken on an hourly basis, starting on July 14th to October 12th. Then, your total NXT will be averaged, and you’ll receive that amount in Ardor tokens on October 12th, which will be freely tradeable up until the Ardor system launches.

Looks like there's early interest in NXT's new platform as it showed in the current breakout of NXT.  But then again, it could be traders taking advantage of the recent news as most of the volume is from NXT/CNY at BTC38.  And in my experience, the Chinese love to pump it real good given the opportunity.  But I wish the NXT team good luck with Ardor nevertheless.

Either way, the price more than doubled in a span of a week or so and I wish I got in the trade.  Sad

NXT Chart

legendary
Stellar:  Deloitte Partners with Stellar for Affordable Payments, Extensive Reach

Source

Deloitte, one of the largest purveyors of professional services in the world, has integrated with the Stellar network to build a revolutionary cross-border payments application.

Launched at the Consensus conference in New York in May 2016, the Deloitte Digital Bank is now available to power instant payments across borders.

As mentioned couple of days ago, XLM (still labeled STR in Polo) was breaking out and could start to trend.  Well today there was a spike in volume coupled with an increase in price in which the signs are pointing that there is indeed a possibility of a trend coming.  The volume isn't really that huge.  But it's good enough.

XLM (or STR in Polo) Chart

Also...  What's up with NEM?  That chart looks solid!  Props to the people who are holding since the beginning.  Congrats!

XEM Chart

legendary
Hey guys, just recently been adding more links under each platform.  Specifically a community link which goes to their reddit page and a github link which goes to their github.

One good habit of getting into before deciding to buy a coin/token is to visit their community and see how active it is.  An active and vibrant community is usually a good sign that there's a lot of support for the platform.  And that's a good thing for grass roots, organic growth.

Another thing you should do is check out their github.  See if their devs are actively working on the project.  If you see the project has not been active for over a year (or a few months), then it's better to stay away and do further research and find out why it's inactive.

And finally of course, know the team!  Knowing the people behind the project is a must.  You should know their background and what their past projects/work are, be it crypto related or not.  A good team is as much as good as the platform or company itself.  If you have a team full of B and C players, then you could be producing a mediocre product.

With all that said, you should also be looking at the charts.  A downtrending chart should be avoided and also avoid predicting the bottom.  You're only exposing yourself to unnecessary risks by doing so.  Another thing is volume and liquidity.  The higher the better as it makes trading in and out easier.

legendary
The Ethereum Foundation Releases The Soft Fork Update

Source

Geth (the reference Ethereum implementation) reached version 1.4.8, the update will give the users the option to support a temporary freeze of the funds linked to The DAO accounts (this includes the address of the hacker). This will affect the users who made legitimate DAO splits, Szilágyi said:

As such – if the community votes to enact the soft-fork – we propose a follow up patch to the soft-fork that will whitelist all DAOs split according to the intent upheld by the enacted soft-fork.

It's very wise of them to let the community 'decide'.  That way, the people really responsible for this fiasco are eased of any more problems that was caused by the attack after the fork.

And of course, their community would decide to support the soft fork (that will lead eventually to a hard fork) in order to protect their invesments.  They are royally screwed either way, might as well go to the option where there is a 'fix'.

Edit:

On a side note.  Stellar Lumens is breaking out, albeit with small volume but still could be 'safely tradable' by placing a smaller position.

legendary
Hello guys.  Another weekly update straight from the blogs of their respective platforms/projects.  

It's really sad seeing what happened with Ethereum.  But in the long run, as far as the whole world of cryptocurrencies is concerned, it's a good thing.  Hacks and exposing security issues must happen now and it's better that way.  The earlier these issues are known, the earlier the devs can find a fix and everyone to learn from them.

Thinking About Smart Contract Security

Source

Republishing the Security Audit Report for DigixDAO contracts

Source

DHS S&T Awards $199K to Austin Based Factom Inc. for Internet of Things Systems Security

Source

Early Adopter Bounties and First Day Rewards DistributionEarly Adopter Bounties and First Day Rewards Distribution

Source

Seven Leading Banks Join Ripple’s Global Network

Source

Important: You can no longer split from the DAO, you will lose ALL of your tokens!

Source

Among the projects listed there's two that caught my eye and might make profitable trades.  BTS and XRP.  They look to go on a trend reversal as the volatility of both are starting to increase at the same time the prices are going up.  That means there's interest in these two again.  Smiley

But the interest is more pronounced in XRP because the volume increase is huge across the board on Polo and the Ripple gateways.  That plus the news of 7 banks join Ripple and 90 more coming.

Here are some charts.  Encircled are the possible points of trend reversals.

BTS

XRP

On a final note, these are not recommendations to buy but are just my thoughts for fun and discussion purposes only.  Thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: