Pages:
Author

Topic: IF the NSA wanted to take control over Bitcoin, how would they do it? - page 4. (Read 5943 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
A huge lumbering bureaucracy?    How about-- take over the Bitcoin Foundation and then find themselves surprised when it doesn't control Bitcoin.

Ya, they so dum they tried to buy me out for one billion dollars. You no wat I tolded them? I sez 2 them no, keep your filthy fiat toilet paper!

Nobody ever seems to be fond of the idea that the NSA could of course very well have invented the Bitcoin project in the first place. Really why not?

Most arguments are about "why should they invent an open source project, that could interrupt the banking system?", which is understandable. Shouldn't they protect their system including national banks?

Bitcoin would threaten the banking system if:
1. More than a fraction of one percent of the population used it.
2. That fraction of one percent was otherwise productive members of society, not child-like criminals stealing from each other.
3. IRL adults considered Bitcoin to be more sound, as a store of value, than Beanie Babies (which are the REAL threat to the banking system, with NSA spending billions in taxpayer money to discredit Beanie Babies and suppress beanie trade).

Oddly enough, those parameters aren't met, so bitscoin is used as a honeypot, corralling the world's most inept criminals into an ecosystem where their shenanigans are monitored on the blogchain and this forum. On computer screens, by a couple of chubby agents who are otherwise useless, too weak and fat to actually be useful in the field, dealin with smart IRL criminals.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
Well considering that they can't technically do anything against it, they would start passing laws about banning the traffic from all nodes to difficult running the network, they would also try to screw up all exchanges, scary population with big jailtime, a lot of negative propaganda in the news, and have a false satoshi to mold Bitcoin they way they want it to be.
AGD
legendary
Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164
Keeper of the Private Key
Nobody ever seems to be fond of the idea that the NSA could of course very well have invented the Bitcoin project in the first place. Really why not?

Most arguments are about "why should they invent an open source project, that could interrupt the banking system?", which is understandable. Shouldn't they protect their system including national banks?

I also find it unlikely, but still possible, that Bitcoin was invented by any of the known agencies. In-Q-Tel seems to like Bitcoin for some reason for example.
Activity: 280
Merit: 100
AGD
legendary
A huge lumbering bureaucracy?    How about-- take over the Bitcoin Foundation and then find themselves surprised when it doesn't control Bitcoin.

That's just one part of the game. Are you guys from core team discussing this infiltration topic and how to deal with it?
AGD
legendary
Bitcoin reached a point where it can't be stopped anymore so I don't think there is anything to do to kill it or even control it . I mean they can try ... but I don't think they will achieve their goal . (unless the Bitcoin community goes retard and don't care about decentralization and privacy etc... anymore).

Look at this https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/deleted-1465013 The difficulty will kill Bitcoins.

Anyway that is off topic. NSA can not take control over BTC since mining takes place in China....by a few companies that runs the entire system.

If I would try to control Bitcoin, I would try to get a majority here: https://bitcoincore.org/en/team, instead of trying some multi billion dollar 51% attack.

Once more:

staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
A huge lumbering bureaucracy?    How about-- take over the Bitcoin Foundation and then find themselves surprised when it doesn't control Bitcoin.
AGD
legendary
Some ideas on how it could work:

- Read through the connection data (phone,email etc) from key figures of the Bitcoin community to gain insider knowledge
- Infiltrate core development and replace Bitcoin key figures with NSA staff
- Discredit respected members of the community
- Kill people, if they don't corporate.

Are core devs discussing this possiblility of a large scale infiltration and how to avoid?

What if that infiltration has already happened?

Definitely more than just possible and my question still remains:

Are core devs discussing this possiblility of a large scale infiltration and how to avoid? (The answer is not related to any 51% theory or "destroying" Bitcoin, but to take control over Bitcoin development, edit: though the long time goal can indeed be to destroy Bitcoin "from inside".)
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Some ideas on how it could work:

- Read through the connection data (phone,email etc) from key figures of the Bitcoin community to gain insider knowledge
- Infiltrate core development and replace Bitcoin key figures with NSA staff
- Discredit respected members of the community
- Kill people, if they don't corporate.

Are core devs discussing this possiblility of a large scale infiltration and how to avoid?

What if that infiltration has already happened?
Activity: 196
I think that this is impossible. After all, then we need to monitor the entire Internet on the planet! As well as purchase all Bitcoins. Or create an attack 51% and it needs a lot of money.
It is worth considering that different countries have different attitudes to Bitcoin, and I think they will have to take into account the views of all these countries so as not to incur the political scandal.
P.S
There the crazy theory that Bitcoin has created NSA.
 Satoshi Nakamoto - an anagram "Ma, I took NSA oath". Grin
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
If they want to do it, they have to control all of the network on the internet. Or they can do it with the other way, by owning >50% of all the Bitcoin which likely not possible.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
I think they can't do it..many of sites websites they can't handle. Then it will happen it thry will add more peoples who will focus on monitoring bitcoins.also they will need more advancr technology to do it .
Activity: 654
They will need more hash power than the whole world mining today to do a 51% attack, which is probably nit gonna happen. There is no other way to block bitcoins.

Your posting reminds me on this:

Right one is the right method to do it in a right way  Grin

Cheapest and durable.
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
Flood the network with a large number of transactions to saturate the 1 MB blocksize limit or what ever effective 3.2 MB blocksize limit is implemented. Keep the attack going until people just give up. 

In theory sure, but how could they really get away with it, unless resorting to evil tactics, probably illegal. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Flood the network with a large number of transactions to saturate the 1 MB blocksize limit or what ever effective 3.2 MB blocksize limit is implemented. Keep the attack going until people just give up. 
Activity: 152
fork it with Classic...
It is plausible and intelligent. Just like the NSA.

Go, go, classic!  Cheesy
Activity: 596
the story of burtW is f*** sick
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1002
Wow, sorry for your loss bro Sad
Thanks.  I am still mad about it as you can imagine.

They actually did that to you? It's pretty harsh.

If they let you go, why did they charge you? Ive never heard of anything of the sort. Did you do anything or trade with anyone sketchy?
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
Wow, sorry for your loss bro Sad
Thanks.  I am still mad about it as you can imagine.
Pages:
Jump to: