Pages:
Author

Topic: IF the NSA wanted to take control over Bitcoin, how would they do it? - page 8. (Read 5943 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
America isn't able to take control of anything. As soon as an entity becomes significant in the world, the managers/owners move it offshore. Look at Google, Apple, Big Pharma etc.

The internet is global. No such thing as "offshore" when dealing online. Look what they did to KimDotCom. Full US swat team landed on his property in new Zealand as if it were some slum village in Vietnam.

They took all of his property, froze all of his assets and told him to f** off. The only reason he isn't in jail right now is because he is still able to pay for a credible group of legal advisors

Google, apple, "big pharma" are all huge lobbyists and donate hundereds of millions toward 'their own' political causes in the united states. So you're right. America "isn't able to take control" of these guys, because it is these corporations that control America

If the nsa felt the urge to infiltrate bitcoin, they will have already done this even back when bitcoin was nothing but a seedling of an idea.

Look what they did with the silk road. They didn't wait till it was some rogue rival to GlaxoSmithKline, they penetrated very early and after robbing enough btc over a period of 'years', they brought the entire thing down and made themselves look like the heroes.

Also, the nsa might not want to destroy bitcoin at all.

Bitcoin is actually the wet dream of an agency like the nsa
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 2444
https://JetCash.com
America isn't able to take control of anything. As soon as an entity becomes significant in the world, the managers/owners move it offshore. Look at Google, Apple, Big Pharma etc.
Activity: 70
Craig White said he was "forced" to speak out. Question is, by whom?

People throw around these three letter abbreviations flippantly, they forget that these agencies, especially the nsa spend 24 hours each and every day monitoring all pockets of activity that occur on the web

If they wanted to infiltrate then, rest assured, they already have
AGD
legendary
Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164
Keeper of the Private Key
Since I am no terrorist and I have nothing to hide ... go along. I know you are protecting me.
So, in contrast to terrorists law abiding citizens and entities have nothing to hide?!
NSA have a lot to hide... Are they terrorists?

I should have put this sentence in quotes for a better understanding.
legendary
Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233
But normally such agencies have a lot to hide and it's OK.
Really? Is it really OK? But why for all of us is NOT OK if we hide something? Why are such animals (aka agencies) more equal than others? Are we living in a Democratic Republic or in Orwellian Animal Farm?

If they are special agency then I'm special person... Where can I apply for a special person status, so that I can have the right to hide something?
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
And actually I feel that Bitcoin is safe from NSA intrusion since they don't have much to gain from it and the costs could be big.
They don't have much to gain but they have much to lose. Their budget is in dollars not in bitcoins. What will happen if dollar value plummets?

Then they will ask the government to print more money and give them more. That's the "beauty" of printed money and governments (and their agencies).

fk me...........
no offense personally
but you must be from the states, and dont know how the rest of the world looks at the states

NSA have a lot to hide. The army has a lot to hide. Some of those things are legit. Some may be not. The not legit part is a problem.
But normally such agencies have a lot to hide and it's OK.
I am not from US, but still, while I am (very) far from thinking NSA are saints, I am also sure that Hollywood movies about NSA are... fiction.
Activity: 98
fk me...........
no offense personally
but you must be from the states, and dont know how the rest of the world looks at the states
legendary
And actually I feel that Bitcoin is safe from NSA intrusion since they don't have much to gain from it and the costs could be big.
They don't have much to gain but they have much to lose. Their budget is in dollars not in bitcoins. What will happen if dollar value plummets?
legendary
Many people would even agree to it, when they read, that Al-Baghdadi is using Bitcoins to transfer money to his international fight club and there is a need to change some parts of the code, that is EXCLUSIVELY being used to hunt terrorists. Since I am no terrorist and I have nothing to hide ... go along. I know you are protecting me.

For now I suspect quite a lot of people have used Bitcoin to hide big funds (simplest case would be tax evasion). They are not terrorists.
NSA would have, however, only small additions to have to Bitcoin, since the transfers are already somehow traceable.
Blocking addresses would not do much harm since I am certain that for main transfers the terrorists can just learn easily to always use different addresses.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Shit, did I leave the stove on?
I think the only way to control Bitcoin is to control the developers in charge of developing Bitcoin and if they want to disrupt the Bitcoin network they would need to do a 51% attack but that would need a lot of hash power. But what would the NSA achieve by stopping Bitcoin it's not like they are going to take all our coins and sell them on the market for profit anyway.
legendary
Since I am no terrorist and I have nothing to hide ... go along. I know you are protecting me.
So, in contrast to terrorists law abiding citizens and entities have nothing to hide?!
AGD
legendary
Are core devs discussing this possiblility of a large scale infiltration and how to avoid?

Actually the best way to take over Bitcoin, imho, would be to get a few agents become core devs, respected (and influential!) members of the community.
Then they can take whatever decisions they want, from blacklisting you to putting your IP into the transaction or whatever surveillance ideas they could have.

Many people would even agree to it, when they read, that Al-Baghdadi is using Bitcoins to transfer money to his international fight club and there is a need to change some parts of the code, that is EXCLUSIVELY being used to hunt terrorists. Since I am no terrorist and I have nothing to hide ... go along. I know you are protecting me.
legendary
Are core devs discussing this possiblility of a large scale infiltration and how to avoid?

Actually the best way to take over Bitcoin, imho, would be to get a few agents become core devs, respected (and influential!) members of the community.
Then they can take whatever decisions they want, from blacklisting you to putting your IP into the transaction or whatever surveillance ideas they could have.
AGD
legendary
Bitcoin reached a point where it can't be stopped anymore so I don't think there is anything to do to kill it or even control it . I mean they can try ... but I don't think they will achieve their goal . (unless the Bitcoin community goes retard and don't care about decentralization and privacy etc... anymore).

I see your point and I also would like to see Bitcoin succeed and still keep being decentralized, but there are some bottlenecks, like the group of core developers and a few respected members of the community, which could be slowly become infiltrated, deceived, discredited and/or replaced. I think Andreas A. made the right move by not going to this meeting in London, esp. when he thinks that "everybody can be fooled by a smart con artist". He should have asked me (AGD: Andreas, tell Craig to sign a message with his key from 2008 or to GTFO)
staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
Bitcoin reached a point where it can't be stopped anymore so I don't think there is anything to do to kill it or even control it . I mean they can try ... but I don't think they will achieve their goal . (unless the Bitcoin community goes retard and don't care about decentralization and privacy etc... anymore).
AGD
legendary
Some ideas on how it could work:

- Read through the connection data (phone,email etc) from key figures of the Bitcoin community to gain insider knowledge
- Infiltrate core development and replace Bitcoin key figures with NSA staff
- Discredit respected members of the community
- Kill people, if they don't corporate.

I think they would start by buying a bitcointalk member account (at least hero level) and making a post asking for ideas... something like "How could NSA take control over Bitcoin?"  Smiley

Blast! My evil plan is foiled.
Activity: 186
Merit: 100

- Read through the connection data (phone,email etc) from key figures of the Bitcoin community to gain insider knowledge

I think they would start by buying a bitcointalk member account (at least hero level) and making a post asking for ideas... something like "How could NSA take control over Bitcoin?"  Smiley

lmao this
legendary
Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005
..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
If they really feel like they want to take control over Bitcoin they will do whatever is necessary to achieve that goal.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1032
They will need more hash power than the whole world mining today to do a 51% attack, which is probably nit gonna happen. There is no other way to block bitcoins.

If they block the Chinese, then they only need like 20% of the hash power.

Exactly Chinese owns 51% of total hashing power but it is not so true because some largest pools are located in china and they are public pools which means that anyone can mine bitcoin from anywhere .

BTW , If NSA found that bitcoin is beating USD then they will take control , They will do whatever they found necessary to stop bitcoin (block bitcoin).

And my guess is NSA is already involved there teams in Bitcoins . So they can take over anytime .
Pages:
Jump to: