Pages:
Author

Topic: If you are waiting for the "despair phase" to buy like in 2011 consider this - page 4. (Read 10237 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
^^^^^

You two didn't get the point of the thread.
Too bad.

LMFAO,  Cheesy "There was a point" lol
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
yeah I don't think tulips solved the byzantine generals problem or could be configures easily as a trustless distributed network. But hey that's just me.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
This is still not as bad as the crash from $30 to $2.
This is the reason Jews are often better investors. The strong history and intergenerational sense of group identity makes them better able to invest multigenerationally and weather business cycles.

Contrast to Keynes' famous: "In the long run, we're all dead."
Activity: 675

Example:

The internet was an amazing invention that changed the world.
The dotcom bubble was just that, a bubble.

Unless you consider google or amazon, but then bitcoin is not a company, bitcoin is the innovation. Another such technology based speculative boom would be railway or telecommunication, but honestly, bitcoin has the potential to add more value to the global economy than railroads or cellphones when the full extent of the inefficency of fiat is considered. Not to mention lost opportunities due to politically motivated embargoes that benefit only a few elite who happen to bankroll some influential governments...

Bitcoin's potential might be huge, but right now what is noticeable is the huge losses staring at us.  Cry

Example:

Unless you consider google or amazon, but then bitcoin is not a company, bitcoin is the innovation. Another such technology based speculative boom would be railway or telecommunication, but honestly, bitcoin has the potential to add more value to the global economy than railroads or cellphones when the full extent of the inefficency of fiat is considered. Not to mention lost opportunities due to politically motivated embargoes that benefit only a few elite who happen to bankroll some influential governments...

[3] - that this year's drop in valuation represents the cost of a "rights of passage" phase. Bitcoin has been chewed up by the media, kicked in the groins by MtGox, goaded by rumour such as the 'malliability episode', taken a hammering in the markets and yet come out of all of this without a scratch technically. The fact that it's still "alive" at all and still floating well above most of 2013's all time high is not going to go unnoticed in years to come. This year's experience gives Bitcoin massive stock value in terms of trust because no other coin has gone through this experiment and taken the hammering that Bitcoin has. They only way that could happen is if Bitcoin went to zero and we started all over again with a new 'leader'. Whatever the markets say, that still looks extremely unlikely to happen right now

Good point. As many have observed, all bitcoin really has to do to thrive is not die.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

Sorry, didn't see your first post....

When studying the anatomy of a bubble, a linear chart tells you a lot more than a log one

Maybe you didn't read my post properly but I said that a logarithmic chart displays proportional changes consistently in a way that a linear one doesn't. That's the whole point of a logarithmic scale - to study relative growth.

In the case of BTC, the "previous bubbles" like the 2011 one was done when market cap and price were RIDICULOUSLY lower and all it took to pump it was a little injection of fiat (aka, one or two deep pocket entities simply buying in).
What happened in 2011 is basically noise in the grand scheme of things.

That selective view happens to suit your argument. You could apply it just as selectively to any growth stage in an asset. In relative terms (as you've also pointed out later in your post) the stage we're at now is also one of 'pocket entities' relative to any major traded stock, The trend still holds.

"Massive amount" in venture capital? Less than a billion is not a massive amount, and venture capital is by definition something that can all fail miserably, like the insanely high number of bitcoin related start-ups that already failed. I am sure I don't need to show you a list of that...

"Infrastructure" in the bitcoin space is mostly smokescreen, and "adoption" is basically merchants accepting USD from a bitcoin dump through Bitpay (from people that probably ALREADY OWN BTC) and people wanting to gamble with the speculation aspect of bitcoin.

More than a year of bear market and being down more than 70% from the ATH and still being there with no signs of recovery is not a "healthy correction" in a "healthy market".
Especially considering that today a lot more people are aware of BTC (compared to 2011 when pretty much nobody was even aware of its existence, BIG DIFFERENCE).

I can probably agree with a lot of that observation but don't draw the same conclusions.

For a start, most people "are aware of BTC" through its infamy, not its qualities. So any growth is probably in spite of that promotion, not because of it. Secondly, although "less than a billion" is small in terms of VC amounts, it's downright huge when you consider the 'long shot' nature of the proposition and it's 5 times what it was last year.

People had been trying to do this for about a quarter of a century before 2009. Bitcoin was nowhere near the first but it was the one that worked. How it pans out ultimately remains to be seen and god knows how many times it's demise has been declared "final", but if it doesn't go to zero in the next couple of months then all bets are off because the longer this list gets with said event not happening, the more dug in it's going to get.

P.S. Here's another one that can be added to the list....you might enjoy his commentary more than mine  Wink

http://blogs.reuters.com/edward-hadas/2014/01/08/an-early-obituary-for-bitcoin/
Activity: 378
Merit: 254

Bitcoin has attracted a lulzy menagerie of self-important attention whores

Sure has  Wink

Yup.  And major scumbags, and petty criminals.  With vice-chairman of Bitcoin Foundation doing time for money laundering, and an ex-con for Bitcoin Jesus, you expected favorable press coverage?  Top kek Wink
legendary

Bitcoin has attracted a lulzy menagerie of self-important attention whores

Sure has  Wink

legendary

The "blockchain technology" (the concept of a distributed ledger) has potential, sure, but:

1. Being forced to adopt a currency full of limitations and problems just because of the ledger is not gonna work.
2. the bitcoin blockchain is just an example of a distributed ledger, other protocols already exists today (and will of course exist in the future) that don't have the ridiculous limitations of bitcoin the currency and the bitcoin blockchain (and I don't want to go through that again, already discussed to death).

At least thats a bit more reasonably argued than the dismissive slamming that's characterised your posts of the last couple of months.

I don't doubt there will be diversity and more successful technologies in the space. But we're talking about money here - there have already been a flotilla of far more advanced 'coins' going up against Bitcoin and they haven't even made a dent in its marketcap. They're more advanced in almost every respect - speed of confirmation, anonymity, mining algo, non-mining algo, trading bells & whistle's like assets.

The reason they haven't made a dent is because bitcoin is currently seen in the role of a kind of crypto reserve through which the rest of the economy is valued. It doesn't need 'high tech' for that, it just needs to exist. 20 minute confirmations are fine. Banks take up to a couple of days to move money around.

None of us know the future, so I accept your point that this may not be the case in 10 years time or even 2. But a picture is emerging of alternative blockchains for practical use and Bitcoin as the reserve (demonstrated by the simple fact that the price of every alt coin is measured in Bitcoin, even the USD value is calculated by factoring through Bitcoin because it's the only one with a USD gateway to speak of). If that picture continues to consolidate then there's a good chance that it will be here in 10 years time regardless of what technology we use to buy our cornflakes.
legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006
I will probably get bored and sell all my Bitcoins in Dec 2016. That is when everyone should buy.

I will let you all know if it happens sooner.
Activity: 378
Merit: 254
[1] - the overbought condition in December 2013 given the state of the infrastructure development at the time. This was driven largely by the month long panic buy in China

[2] - the massive amount of VC capital and infrastructure development that's gone on in 2014 which is all "uphill work" that won't start to bear fruit till later this year. While that's all going on, most of the trading in Bitcoin is speculative - both the rises AND the falls. They don't remotely represent an actual reduction in adoption, technology development, service evolution, security consolidation or any other real world aspects on which a classic commercial valuation would be based

[3] - that this year's drop in valuation represents the cost of a "rights of passage" phase. Bitcoin has been chewed up by the media, kicked in the groins by MtGox, goaded by rumour such as the 'malliability episode', taken a hammering in the markets and yet come out of all of this without a scratch technically. The fact that it's still "alive" at all and still floating well above most of 2013's all time high is not going to go unnoticed in years to come. This year's experience gives Bitcoin massive stock value in terms of trust because no other coin has gone through this experiment and taken the hammering that Bitcoin has. They only way that could happen is if Bitcoin went to zero and we started all over again with a new 'leader'. Whatever the markets say, that still looks extremely unlikely to happen right now

[1] Don't remember hearing anything about "overbought condition" at the time the bubble was forming.  I was told Bitcoin's hyperexponential price rise was a mathematical certainty.  Irrefutably confirmed by science in universities.
But you're telling me I was duped? Sad

[2] So "most of the trading in Bitcoin is speculative"?  Now you tell me.  I was told something about great fundamentals, didn't understand any of it but it sounded very sophisticated and technical.  More bullshit, huh? Sad

[3] Bitcoin's "rights of passage" phase?  Isn't that when a boy's buddies buy him a shit hooker and an eightball of shittier blow?
The reason  for shit press last year is because Bitcoin has attracted a lulzy menagerie of self-important attention whores, major scumbags, and petty criminals.  

Re. "superficial dismissal of what is a very important analytical perspective":  Hahahahaha Cheesy
Activity: 462
Merit: 107
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
Also, answer to your previous post:

So maybe delusional bulls will finally see the truth and stop losing money on a shitty investment thinking that the market will finally turn around during the "despair" phase?

What's the alternative? That I want to manipulate the market in order to buy cheap coins?
Sure, whatever. I just can't wait.

These arguments are superfluous. Clearly, both points of view apply in some respect.

12 months ago, Bitcoin was overvalued as an investment but undervalued as a technology.

As an investment it lost value this year. But as a technology there isn't much disagreement - even amongst the most hardened media trolls - that it is the future and it isn't hard to see why.

Up till now it's been impossible to create a monetary token that is electronic without being reproducible. It's simply the nature of electronic media that "copy & paste" rules and that has made it a huge challenge to create any kind of token that could be considered as tradable in such a way that it could not be counterfeited. The so called "electronic money" we use on a day to day basis isn't money. it's just a counterparty held balance that changes according to the instructions of other authoritative counterparties ("banks" to me & you).

With the invention of blockchain technology, the counterparty is no longer needed in the loop. This solves two problems that "tulips" never had a hope in hell of solving:

[1] - it provides the basis for an unbacked, unlevered electronic monetary base which, given that most of the worlds markets have moved from a physical to an electronic platform over the last century, is an inevitable consequence of modern technology

[2] - in principle, it makes the counterparty system redundant (I say in 'principle' because email didn't make the post office redundant, it just created a whole new medium where the post office was non existent)

Make no mistake. A technology which solves both those problems at once is of immense value - both practical and financial. Just look at the pain and anguish that was the common currency known as the Euro. And yet a couple of decades later we have a common currency that is self managing, doesn't require agonising years of debate between states and that is not enforced on anybody yet freely available to everybody.

Whether you think Bitcoin is "IT" or not, the technology is out of the bag and here to stay. As it happens, I think Bitcoin is now far enough down the line that it isn't now going to ever go away. The current valuation is fine - it's 300% to 400% what it was 18 months ago but what most people don't see if huge amount of infrastructure development that's gone on this year which will start to bear fruit now. It may not be some huge explosion - email wasn't, it just crept up on everyone until we were all using it.

To compare Bitcoin with tulips is a bit like comparing a modern aeroplane wing with a plank of wood. Yes - in some respects the comparison holds, but the only people who cite it as being significant are those with no clue of what makes one fly and the other not.

Cryptocurrencies will fly because they solve a huge problem - one that most people don't even realise they have yet because they've lived with it for so long. It  requires the supporting infrastructure to be advanced enough for mass adoption to take place, but take place it will.

The "blockchain technology" (the concept of a distributed ledger) has potential, sure, but:

1. Being forced to adopt a currency full of limitations and problems just because of the ledger is not gonna work.
2. the bitcoin blockchain is just an example of a distributed ledger, other protocols already exists today (and will of course exist in the future) that don't have the ridiculous limitations of bitcoin the currency and the bitcoin blockchain (and I don't want to go through that again, already discussed to death).

That's pretty much it.

Example:

Also, the chart you posted is the same I posted, only in log scale. Same thing. Sorry but I don't have a tulip bubble log scale for the comparison. And frankly, it doesn't even matter.

Actually, "frankly", it does matter - quite a lot because the log scale is concerned with correctly representing proportional changes which the linear scale does not.

The reason you are so dismissive of is it because it doesn't happen to suit your little tirade in trying to convince people that they are wasting their time with Bitcoin. Despite that, the log scale is wholly appropriate when making an appraisal of the long term growth of an asset as opposed to short term trading of that asset.

What the analysis posted by poncho shows is that this year's trend is nothing like as alarming as you've been desperately trying to paint it. That applies in particular when you take three things into account:

[1] - the overbought condition in December 2013 given the state of the infrastructure development at the time. This was driven largely by the month long panic buy in China

[2] - the massive amount of VC capital and infrastructure development that's gone on in 2014 which is all "uphill work" that won't start to bear fruit till later this year. While that's all going on, most of the trading in Bitcoin is speculative - both the rises AND the falls. They don't remotely represent an actual reduction in adoption, technology development, service evolution, security consolidation or any other real world aspects on which a classic commercial valuation would be based

So all in all, your superficial dismissal of what is a very important analytical perspective on this whole game just about sums up the depth of your commentary. I don't really know if you have a clue what your talking about or if your just trolling because your nose is out of joint but either way you're a broken record that's in need of changing.

When studying the anatomy of a bubble, a linear chart tells you a lot more than a log one. In the case of BTC, the "previous bubbles" like the 2011 one was done when market cap and price were RIDICULOUSLY lower and all it took to pump it was a little injection of fiat (aka, one or two deep pocket entities simply buying in).
What happened in 2011 is basically noise in the grand scheme of things.

"Massive amount" in venture capital? Less than a billion is not a massive amount, and venture capital is by definition something that can all fail miserably, like the insanely high number of bitcoin related start-ups that already failed. I am sure I don't need to show you a list of that...

"Infrastructure" in the bitcoin space is mostly smokescreen, and "adoption" is basically merchants accepting USD from a bitcoin dump through Bitpay (from people that probably ALREADY OWN BTC) and people wanting to gamble with the speculation aspect of bitcoin.

More than a year of bear market and being down more than 70% from the ATH and still being there with no signs of recovery is not a "healthy correction" in a "healthy market".
Especially considering that today a lot more people are aware of BTC (compared to 2011 when pretty much nobody was even aware of its existence, BIG DIFFERENCE).
legendary

Also, the chart you posted is the same I posted, only in log scale. Same thing. Sorry but I don't have a tulip bubble log scale for the comparison. And frankly, it doesn't even matter.

Actually, "frankly", it does matter - quite a lot because the log scale is concerned with correctly representing proportional changes which the linear scale does not.

The reason you are so dismissive of is it because it doesn't happen to suit your little tirade in trying to convince people that they are wasting their time with Bitcoin. Despite that, the log scale is wholly appropriate when making an appraisal of the long term growth of an asset as opposed to short term trading of that asset.

What the analysis posted by poncho shows is that this year's trend is nothing like as alarming as you've been desperately trying to paint it. That applies in particular when you take three things into account:

So all in all, your superficial dismissal of what is a very important analytical perspective on this whole game just about sums up the depth of your commentary. I don't really know if you have a clue what your talking about or if your just trolling because your nose is out of joint but either way you're a broken record that's in need of changing.

First transaction ever was a Pizza for 10,000 BTC.  If we assume it was $20 then Bitcoin has appreciated 9 Million Percent on any price over about $180

So if it crashes to $1 it's still a win right?
Please, go on.

Activity: 560
First transaction ever was a Pizza for 10,000 BTC.  If we assume it was $20 then Bitcoin has appreciated 9 Million Percent on any price over about $180

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

Quick!  Dump all your coins!  Bitcoin is only up 9 Million Percent since 5 years ago  Cheesy

#bitcoin #pizza

A 5 year chart showing bitcoin's price in pizzas might stop people despairing.
Activity: 560

Quick!  Dump all your coins!  Bitcoin is only up 9 Million Percent since 5 years ago  Cheesy

#bitcoin #pizza
Pages:
Jump to: