Author

Topic: Incoming Avalon News 8/9/2013 - page 103. (Read 186691 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
August 08, 2013, 11:15:23 AM
Im watching... umm already page 9

*edit: what kind of news it going to be?
Activity: 202
Merit: 100
August 08, 2013, 11:06:58 AM
My prediction:

The 200 mil $ investor only would invest the 200 mil if the rest of the chips now available would be sold/shipped to him.

So the investor now has all the chips, Yifu is going to refund all chip purchaces, and that's that.

Why to hell anyone needs obsolete technology Huh
Price for chips should be lowered 5x to be good investment.

The problem with the chips is that its not a ready to run miner. One has to pay more than the double on top to have a miner, psu, housing and so on to have a miner. A bit lower chip price is not the same like when Yifu would lower the price for one of his miners for the same percent.

I agree, but can anyone even guess real price per chip from factory? I bet it is not more than 0.03btc
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
August 08, 2013, 11:06:22 AM
So are we going to get news tomorrow, as in 8/9 or today? The thread was started at 12:32 AM in my timezone, which could have been 8/7 in another timezone.
Activity: 420
August 08, 2013, 11:05:21 AM
PLEASE EVERYONE !!!!
BACK ON TOPIC.

Yifu is landed Smiley
And he is alive.

Now we could hear the story how was it in another galaxy... Smiley

Random rumor - Yifu is going to let us know he is retiring and to thank us for our hospitality since the community had a more violent reaction to BFL screwing up than to Avalon screwing up. Cheesy
Activity: 195
August 08, 2013, 11:02:12 AM
My prediction:

The 200 mil $ investor only would invest the 200 mil if the rest of the chips now available would be sold/shipped to him.

So the investor now has all the chips, Yifu is going to refund all chip purchaces, and that's that.

I agree

It will be interesting what the 200 mil will be used for. If for the development cost and the devices will be sold to public, or they will mine themselves
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1099
August 08, 2013, 11:01:35 AM
watching

Next time, try clicking the "watch" link.  There is no need to respond to a thread, just to watch it.  (look at Watchlist link in the upper left)

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1083
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:00:26 AM
My prediction:

The problem with the chips is that its not a ready to run miner. One has to pay more than the double on top to have a miner, psu, housing and so on to have a miner. A bit lower chip price is not the same like when Yifu would lower the price for one of his miners for the same percent.
August 08, 2013, 10:56:38 AM
PLEASE EVERYONE !!!!
BACK ON TOPIC.

Yifu is landed Smiley
And he is alive.

Now we could hear the story how was it in another galaxy... Smiley
Activity: 143
So sexy, it hurts.
August 08, 2013, 10:55:41 AM
This thread is totally off-track, but to add to this bitcoin/currency thing.

BitCoin is both a currency and a currency/security.  

If it can be used to purchase physical and/or digital goods => currency.

If it can be traded against other securities, much like USD, JPY, etc. => currency/security (think Forex).

So it plays by all the same rules.  The "fuzzy" area is where value comes from.  For example, the IRS published a document saying that mining can be considered income for taxable reasons, but the what if's are bigger than the answers.  If I mine and don't move it beyond my BTC wallet, what have I earned?  If I am going to be taxed, is it only on BTC I have exchanged for fiat?  If I am going to be taxed, what is the value for taxation (Gox, BTC-E, BitStamp, etc.)?  

No gov't body has clear answers until the point you move BTC to fiat or exchange it for goods that have a defined value, then it has a definite "value".  If I exchange 50BTC at $10 each, I can be taxed on $500.  If I exchange 50BTC at $1000 each, first up I'm very happy, but second I can be taxed on $50,000.  

This thread finally got interesting.
I find this type of discussion legit and has more bearing on us than miners/chips/unicorns.
Is there a thread we can discuss this?
Or create a new one?
For real.
August 08, 2013, 10:54:58 AM
My prediction:

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
August 08, 2013, 10:52:00 AM

If it can be traded against other securities, much like USD, JPY, etc. => currency/security (think Forex).

So it plays by all the same rules.  The "fuzzy" area is where value comes from.  For example, the IRS published a document saying that mining can be considered income for taxable reasons, but the what if's are bigger than the answers.  If I mine and don't move it beyond my BTC wallet, what have I earned?  If I am going to be taxed, is it only on BTC I have exchanged for fiat?  If I am going to be taxed, what is the value for taxation (Gox, BTC-E, BitStamp, etc.)?  

No gov't body has clear answers until the point you move BTC to fiat or exchange it for goods that have a defined value, then it has a definite "value".  If I exchange 50BTC at $10 each, I can be taxed on $500.  If I exchange 50BTC at $1000 each, first up I'm very happy, but second I can be taxed on $50,000.  

However Germany has set a solid stance on how BTC investments should be taxed.
Activity: 574
Merit: 501
August 08, 2013, 10:51:04 AM
The "$200 million investment" has been debunked as a hoax.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
August 08, 2013, 10:47:45 AM
My prediction:

Activity: 238
August 08, 2013, 10:46:59 AM
Umm this is a submitted court record from a US Gov site where it states and explain what in 'investment contract' is, why Bitcoin IS a currency, and what defines a 'common enterprise'. I cut out the bit about the definition of a security, that was the line before and irrelevant to this.
Yes, your're right.  I read it very quickly the other night, and, to my discredit, was looking just make sure the motion to dismiss was denied. 

While this is, itself, not a definitive ruling on the "money" nature of bitcoin, the fact that at least this district holds the way they do is good news for people who have contracts which are/were exchanges of bitcoins (=money) for good or promises of goods.

Good correction; thanks.
Activity: 420
August 08, 2013, 10:41:35 AM

Activity: 26
Merit: 0
August 08, 2013, 10:38:44 AM
Avalon were a "victim of their own success."
Activity: 532
August 08, 2013, 10:29:52 AM
Just for the record, as of yesterday, Bitcoin according to US law is now officially recognised as money, and all associated crimes financial...

http://gigaom.com/2013/08/07/bitcoin-is-money-judge-says-sec-can-target-ponzi-schemer/
Actually, B, if you read the court document, it doesn't say bitcoin is a currency.  What it says is that the shares of Pirate were securities under the US Federal Securities Act (the '33 Act, IIRC).

This was in response to a motion by Pirate's lawyers' that the SEC lacked jurisdiction because Pirate's ponzi wasn't a security.

I'm in a rush right now, but I can get a link to the original in a while.  But don't listen to what these "journalists" and bloggers say.  We learned that the other day, right?

Umm this is a submitted court record from a US Gov site where it states and explain what in 'investment contract' is, why Bitcoin IS a currency, and what defines a 'common enterprise'. I cut out the bit about the definition of a security, that was the line before and irrelevant to this.

Here's the link to the entire doc;

http://ia800904.us.archive.org/35/items/gov.uscourts.txed.146063/gov.uscourts.txed.146063.23.0.pdf

It's pretty damn specific! I just don't know have any knowledge of state/federal.

Still let's just wait and hear what has to be said...

August 08, 2013, 10:25:04 AM
Just for the record, as of yesterday, Bitcoin according to US law is now officially recognised as money, and all associated crimes financial...

http://gigaom.com/2013/08/07/bitcoin-is-money-judge-says-sec-can-target-ponzi-schemer/
Actually, B, if you read the court document, it doesn't say bitcoin is a currency.  What it says is that the shares of Pirate were securities under the US Federal Securities Act (the '33 Act, IIRC).

This was in response to a motion by Pirate's lawyers' that the SEC lacked jurisdiction because Pirate's ponzi wasn't a security.

I'm in a rush right now, but I can get a link to the original in a while.  But don't listen to what these "journalists" and bloggers say.  We learned that the other day, right?
Activity: 532
August 08, 2013, 10:10:32 AM

To be fair, that is one Federal court in the Eastern District of Texas.  It was not a SCOTUS ruling so it is not the law of the land.
Ya, but I would assume any federal court would see it the same way ?

Possibly, but it is far from certain.  There are almost 100 federal district courts.  Those are the bottom of the totem pole.  Then there are 13 appellate courts.  And then there is the Supreme Court.  They exist because the lower courts don't always agree.  Arguments can be made both ways.  I agree it is a currency, but I think Bitcoinorama's post was misleading because it is not a universal law in this country (yet).

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the US system and I just got pinged by email as the alert triggered. I'm in the UK. Tech Crunch has a piece;

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/07/bitcoin-clampdown-continues-as-federal-judge-says-its-a-currency/
August 08, 2013, 10:07:44 AM

To be fair, that is one Federal court in the Eastern District of Texas.  It was not a SCOTUS ruling so it is not the law of the land.
Ya, but I would assume any federal court would see it the same way ?

Possibly, but it is far from certain.  There are almost 100 federal district courts.  Those are the bottom of the totem pole.  Then there are 13 appellate courts.  And then there is the Supreme Court.  They exist because the lower courts don't always agree.  Arguments can be made both ways.  I agree it is a currency, but I think Bitcoinorama's post was misleading because it is not a universal law in this country (yet).
Jump to: