Author

Topic: IOTA - page 253. (Read 1473233 times)

Activity: 271
Merit: 250
August 08, 2017, 10:11:01 AM
I've seen this discussed in a /r/cryptocurrency thread and I'm curious if it's true or not: do IOTA and Byteball truly have concurrent transactions?

concurrency = can it have a transaction in China getting confirmed in the same time as one in France, without them having anything to do with one another?
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
August 08, 2017, 10:08:00 AM
I tried it but had no luck.

Maybe check if you have the latest Java.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
August 08, 2017, 08:51:44 AM
I tried it but had no luck.
August 08, 2017, 08:01:48 AM
Since I downloaded the light wallet (windows 8.1) I'm not able to "attach to tangle". When it says "attaching to tangle" it just hangs forever.
I set the correct nodes.
I found an entry on github, too. So it seems that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Try to change a server host IP address. Maybe the host is too busy.
August 08, 2017, 06:43:38 AM
I have no Surface Book.

Intel Core -Ivy Bridge- i7-3770
Board: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
legendary
Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000
August 08, 2017, 06:21:11 AM
Since I downloaded the light wallet (windows 8.1) I'm not able to "attach to tangle". When it says "attaching to tangle" it just hangs forever.
I set the correct nodes.

I found an entry on github, too. So it seems that I'm not the only one with this issue.

What hardware do you use? Some guys reported problems with Surface Books. Updating the Intel GPU drivers helped.
August 08, 2017, 06:05:00 AM
I set the correct nodes.

Activity: 10
August 08, 2017, 05:10:08 AM
you guys know why i can't see my orders history at bitfinex?

looks like after "x" time, they are erased or so?  i was trying to see the exact price i bought in, but i can't without the order history. it appears empty

ar the bottom there is a link that say reports open it and you have custom reports popping up, gives you all the mumbojambo in utmost details.
Activity: 596
August 08, 2017, 03:55:59 AM
Are you sure users need to do something with their account? I don't understand why. And in that case this is problematic because it's obvious some dude will forget/not be informed/whatever and will miss the action.

my guess is users just need to update the IRI and that's all.
August 08, 2017, 12:48:23 AM
is snapshoting, like form a of centralization?

No. Snapshotting is like blockchain pruning in Bitcoin. It is a way to reduce database (the distributed ledger) size. In the future, the snapshotting will be locally and automatically done and some nodes with capacity can still store the whole history of transactions.
Activity: 3
August 08, 2017, 12:08:06 AM
is snapshoting, like form a of centralization?
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
August 07, 2017, 11:07:42 PM
Ok, Thanks Cool
Activity: 386
August 07, 2017, 10:49:55 PM
In this case, the snapshot is being done to support the release of a new client and IRI, which will contain a number of fixes and optimizations. These reference a new database structure. Although the devs have not said yet, this new client will likely not be backward compatible. But the snapshot preserves all of the current balances and addresses.

You do not need to be logged in. In fact, you will need to download the new version of the wallet and IRI, which means you will have to log out anyway.
Activity: 67
August 07, 2017, 10:40:04 PM
There will be a snapshot tomorrow: https://blog.iota.org/upgrades-updates-d12145e381eb

Looks like good news Smiley

But what is the snapshot for?  Huh
Does anyone know? the article doesnt say

a snapshot is basically a "picture" of the current status of the wallets,
overall, they delete old history of all the movements a wallet did, and just remember the current status of the wallet,

its like a bank account, the bank remove all your movements but remembers your actual balance, thats all it cares about,

this way the integrity of the network is preserved and the database is Waay smaller than blockchain based ones,

still some nodes, preserve the full history just in case anyone need access to this (usually) useless data.

thx for the answer.
I knew what a snapshot is though, I just thought there was a special occasion or reason. I guess this is a regular thing then?

yes will be done periodically once the network is automated as far as i know, now its done manually,

Do you need your wallet running for the snapshot, or does it matter?
Activity: 262
August 07, 2017, 10:33:42 PM
There will be a snapshot tomorrow: https://blog.iota.org/upgrades-updates-d12145e381eb

overall, they delete old history of all the movements a wallet did, and just remember the current status of the wallet,

its like a bank account, the bank remove all your movements but remembers your actual balance, thats all it cares about,

this way the integrity of the network is preserved and the database is Waay smaller than blockchain based ones,

still some nodes, preserve the full history just in case anyone need access to this (usually) useless data.

thx for the answer.
I knew what a snapshot is though, I just thought there was a special occasion or reason. I guess this is a regular thing then?

yes will be done periodically once the network is automated as far as i know, now its done manually,
Activity: 108
August 07, 2017, 05:56:01 PM

thx for the answer.
Activity: 262
August 07, 2017, 04:11:53 PM

Activity: 714
August 07, 2017, 03:51:54 PM

Snapshot is for the client update.
Activity: 108
August 07, 2017, 03:47:06 PM

Jump to: