Pages:
Author

Topic: Is renting an inevitable waste of money? - page 8. (Read 2609 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 540
The point of your teacher is that if you purchase a house, invest it in business or build one, and if your business is successful, you can use the profit from it to buy a house. Though others have no preference on buying a house as they cannot afford it, that is why they stay renting even if they know that it is really draining their money. They don't have a choice, so unless someone will give them a house they can live in, that would be good for them.

I have seen businessmen in my country never buy or build there own houses rather they prefer investing that money in some business to get profit. That's how there cycle moves on since they consider buying a house like locking your money for an indefinite period of time. For businessmen living in rented house is first preference. Secondly if you don't have money then question of buying new house is ruled out.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 629

Is renting an inevitable waste of money?

Renting is never a waste of money; it is a survival trait and an important factor of life for every individual in every aspect of the entire world. There are several purposes to renting.

• Home rents for a personal abode and roof to sleep every day
  • Business purposes e.g studio, hall, mart etc and more

And both purposes are pivotal and unavoidable if you are a business owner or an individual because irrespective of class, you need a roof above your head. Meanwhile there is a scenario where renting becomes a waste of money; and this is when you rent a home above your means of livelihood.

For example, if you are renting, your job must be able to pay your rents comfortably every month without you struggling. If you struggle to pay rents; then you are wasting money and not renting.
When you don't decide timely that this will be a big drain on your saving. Then this will be surly waste of money
Once my finance teacher said - never purchase a house - live your life on the rental. But I didn't like his suggestion and I would like to have my own space be it small or big. But its a treat being a house owner.

The point of your teacher is that if you purchase a house, invest it in business or build one, and if your business is successful, you can use the profit from it to buy a house. Though others have no preference on buying a house as they cannot afford it, that is why they stay renting even if they know that it is really draining their money. They don't have a choice, so unless someone will give them a house they can live in, that would be good for them.
I agree. If you need to choose between buying a house and starting your own business, I will choose the latter first because it's a way of having a passive income. It's not wise to buy house then you don't have source of income or the location is far from where jobs are indemand.

Anyway, renting will only be a waste if you chose to rent even you're capable to buy your own house and won't struggle after doing so. We have our own reasoning and as long as it is valid on why you opted to rent instead of buying your own, then it's your choice.
EFS
staff
Activity: 3696
Merit: 2065
Crypto Swap Exchange
This is one of the most discussed topics of the last years. It actually depends on the economic situation in the country. Sometimes rents are low relative to inflation and salaries. Sometimes the house prices are so high that it's unreasonable to put all the money to a house. The situation is different in developed countries naturally, but in countries with fragile economies the situation may change depending on the conjuncture.
I agree that it's important to own a house, but if house prices and loan rates are very high you can live in rent instead of making such a long-term investment.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1131
On top of that, finding the ideal house as a renter is almost impossible; there's a lack of housing, and rents are extremely expensive and unreasonable at the same time. We had a difficult time finding a house recently, and it's far from ideal. There is now a new government-funded loan program that is about to start, funding up to 75% of the loan interest-free while the rest is funded by private banks and is subject to a relatively low interest rate. This led me to think about taking a loan and purchasing an average two-bedroom apartment, but I have the concerns that I voiced earlier.

I don't know what country you live in, but this is a great government-funded loan program and I think you should definitely take advantage of it. A very low credit government support program was announced in my country a few months ago for first-time home buyers. However, I must state that the 75% interest-free loan is indisputably a much more advantageous opportunity.

If you buy your own house; you will avoid paying rent, your house will gain value as house prices increase every year due to inflation, you have the freedom to make changes in your house as you wish, you can leave your house as a legacy to your children. I think owning a home has more advantages than being a renter.
Activity: 2352
Merit: 593

Renting is never a waste of money; it is a survival trait and an important factor of life for every individual in every aspect of the entire world. There are several purposes to renting.

And both purposes are pivotal and unavoidable if you are a business owner or an individual because irrespective of class, you need a roof above your head. Meanwhile there is a scenario where renting becomes a waste of money; and this is when you rent a home above your means of livelihood.

For example, if you are renting, your job must be able to pay your rents comfortably every month without you struggling. If you struggle to pay rents; then you are wasting money and not renting.
When you don't decide timely that this will be a big drain on your saving. Then this will be surly waste of money
Once my finance teacher said - never purchase a house - live your life on the rental. But I didn't like his suggestion and I would like to have my own space be it small or big. But its a treat being a house owner.

Activity: 952
Merit: 108
1xBit recovered their reputation
It is not necessarily a waste as long as it brings benefits and convenience to your work and life. Nowadays, owning a house is extremely difficult for young people, so renting is a good solution when starting a business because we may have to move a lot to get a better job. That is not wasted.
Activity: 714
Merit: 277
Building a new house costs a lot of money, even someone with a monthly passive income still chooses a bank loan to build a house instead of saving for several years, the basic items for building a house are increasing every year, but it is recommended that you keep saving for the purpose of building a house because we have to setting limits on rents for less than 2 years, Op has lived 4 years and spent $25k in rent which is equivalent to the cost of a new house for a minimalist size.
one should know that builidng house from scratch also require time, you couldn't immediately live in the house you should wait until it gets built first then you could live in that house afterwards, but where are you gonna live in the meantime? of course you'd be renting house for about 1 year and that's already massive waste of money.
having second hand house is fine if it's relatively cheap enough and good enough, meanwhile you're collecting money for building your dream house, having temporary second hand house could also save you from the costs of renting since I think the price of the house rarely deprecating.

-     I'll just add to what you said mate, for me, if I were the only one to follow, I would prefer to buy a house and land that is secondhand or foreclosed because I can save more in this method.

Also, if you apply for the housing loan under the government, there are too many requirements that will be asked before you can qualify for this program, unlike the surplus houses, the approach is more practical for me.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 401

It seems that your finance guru isn't a very good teacher and maybe he just can't afford a house yet to give you and others such advice. In my opinion, this is very strange because how can humans live comfortably if every month or year they always have to pay off their house rent? Even though he himself knows that all humans in this world need a home for a comfortable place to live and shelter when they want to rest in peaceful conditions.

But I couldn't stop thinking when he advised other people not to buy a house but instead ordered other people to rent a house, it felt really strange. In fact I laughed when I read the suggestion you made, is he not smart enough to be a finance guru who starts to think illogically for that kind of thing. That is sometimes not all suggestions can be good to use and one of them is a suggestion like what your teacher said.
Home is the most valuable asset in life and everyone wants to be able to own it.
what you say is true, we don't know what will happen in the future with the health or finances we have and the house is the most important thing when we have nothing left.
the suggestion that it is better to rent a house than to buy is from those who do not have enough money to buy it, that is heresy. lol

there are some things that are better rented than bought, for the purpose of being economical, namely things or goods that are not always used / only needed at certain times.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 252

It seems that your finance guru isn't a very good teacher and maybe he just can't afford a house yet to give you and others such advice. In my opinion, this is very strange because how can humans live comfortably if every month or year they always have to pay off their house rent? Even though he himself knows that all humans in this world need a home for a comfortable place to live and shelter when they want to rest in peaceful conditions.

But I couldn't stop thinking when he advised other people not to buy a house but instead ordered other people to rent a house, it felt really strange. In fact I laughed when I read the suggestion you made, is he not smart enough to be a finance guru who starts to think illogically for that kind of thing. That is sometimes not all suggestions can be good to use and one of them is a suggestion like what your teacher said.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 110

Activity: 1778
Merit: 295

Activity: 1722
Merit: 589
I think renting has its place in the demographic, specifically for people who are frequently moving out and staying in, as well as people who aren't that well-off to buy their own properties. I don't see rent as an utter waste of money, cos at the end of the day you could still live in it and unless you're paying humongous fees for a leaky rundown apartment/flat, it's not much of a waste. Are there better ways for you to look for a house? Yes, living with your parents is a pretty common situation nowadays, and you can pay them rent for less than what you would normally pay other people for (I guess), but it's a worthy spend for me, I don't see it as a waste of money because at the end of the day, you still get something out of it. Not everything has to be an investment especially if you're already living as frugal as you can be.
Activity: 546
Merit: 583
People take loan for houses, live rest of their lives paying for it. Renting is wiser choice imo. But, if you have means do get a house — you'll have roof to sleep under.
In this situation, a long-term rental of a house is the worst option. You will simply lose money on rent, instead of saving it to buy your own home. The middle option between buying a home and its arena is a home loan. Although we spend our money in a larger amount than the cost of the housing itself, in the end we become the owners of a house or apartment. That is how, in my opinion, it is necessary to regard this situation. But the fact is that when choosing them, it is necessary to take into account dozens of other living conditions in which we find ourselves. And here, without taking them into account, it is impossible to give any specific advice.
Correct. there are many things to consider in this matter. such as our income and expenditure levels each month. and we also need to look at the level of balance of our economy in a certain period of time. and if we see that we can set aside enough money each month to pay the mortgage and we have a job for the long term. then it would be wiser for someone to apply for a loan at the bank. and after getting a large loan from the bank, we can buy this money into a house in cash without credit. so that we only need to pay bills every month to the bank for borrowing money. and we are already in a position to own a home. but this condition can be done if we really believe if we have a job and income in the long term. at least until we can repay the loan to the bank. if we are not sure about the long term of our job then we should not take this risk.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 110
People take loan for houses, live rest of their lives paying for it. Renting is wiser choice imo. But, if you have means do get a house — you'll have roof to sleep under.
In this situation, a long-term rental of a house is the worst option. You will simply lose money on rent, instead of saving it to buy your own home. The middle option between buying a home and its arena is a home loan. Although we spend our money in a larger amount than the cost of the housing itself, in the end we become the owners of a house or apartment. That is how, in my opinion, it is necessary to regard this situation. But the fact is that when choosing them, it is necessary to take into account dozens of other living conditions in which we find ourselves. And here, without taking them into account, it is impossible to give any specific advice.
Renting is not the waste of money if you you dont have your home. But when you have creative mind and a bit of resources then having a custom built home is always a good idea.
People are renovating vans and buses and are living a very good life. I would go for that option rather than paying rent.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 109
I think it is a good idea to have your tiny space which you can call it your own. Rather than wasting money on rent.
I realise it during COVID - when I lost my job and I realized that not always you have hefty amount in pocket to payoff the rent.
Activity: 2044
Merit: 180
Chainjoes.com
Activity: 1484
Merit: 101
Currently there are many services and conveniences for rating money, only with an identity card capital so we can get a loan without collateral with a repayment period of up to 2 years, and of course, easy loans have risks, namely very high interest of up to 100% in a year.
Activity: 476
Merit: 16
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
If you're young and haven't inherited a property from your ancestors, chances are that you're forced to rent. Personally, I've been renting for over 6 years and have been living with my girlfriend for the last 4, sharing rent and utilities. Overall, we've both spent over €25,000 together, and after spending all this money, you're practically left with nothing and may be subject to looking for a new house at any moment.

The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment is between €300 and €400 at best; thus, I was thinking that taking a loan is as costly as paying rent per month, but after 15-20 years, you end up with a house. My main concerns are the following: First, if you're in a long-term relationship like myself, you can never be 100% sure that you'll be with that person in 20 or 30 years from now, which might prevent you from opting for a loan. Secondly, you need to be certain that the location or city of the property to be bought is convenient for future job offers and so on. Thirdly, because a loan is a many-year commitment, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to afford the monthly payment 15 years from now.

On top of that, finding the ideal house as a renter is almost impossible; there's a lack of housing, and rents are extremely expensive and unreasonable at the same time. We had a difficult time finding a house recently, and it's far from ideal. There is now a new government-funded loan program that is about to start, funding up to 75% of the loan interest-free while the rest is funded by private banks and is subject to a relatively low interest rate. This led me to think about taking a loan and purchasing an average two-bedroom apartment, but I have the concerns that I voiced earlier.

I feel what you mean in this topic that you did because,  I am also one of the house renters here in the local community where I am located and the monthly income I pay is around 60$ every month for 5 years.

That's why this time I'm saving up to buy even a simple house but it can be said that it's mine and named after me. Because I'm just wasting what I pay for the house that doesn't belong to me because I'm just a tenant of the landlord. So it's still really nice to have your own house.
Activity: 1526
Merit: 737
Building a new house costs a lot of money, even someone with a monthly passive income still chooses a bank loan to build a house instead of saving for several years, the basic items for building a house are increasing every year, but it is recommended that you keep saving for the purpose of building a house because we have to setting limits on rents for less than 2 years, Op has lived 4 years and spent $25k in rent which is equivalent to the cost of a new house for a minimalist size.
one should know that builidng house from scratch also require time, you couldn't immediately live in the house you should wait until it gets built first then you could live in that house afterwards, but where are you gonna live in the meantime? of course you'd be renting house for about 1 year and that's already massive waste of money.
having second hand house is fine if it's relatively cheap enough and good enough, meanwhile you're collecting money for building your dream house, having temporary second hand house could also save you from the costs of renting since I think the price of the house rarely deprecating.
There are also prefabricated houses that are built in significantly less time than conventional ones. They're usually cheaper too, and they offer great characteristics for their price. However, why would someone build a house from scratch when you can purchase an apartment for significantly less and be ready to move at any moment? In the worst-case scenario, you'll renovate it or make a few repairs. Personally, I've seen older houses with two bedrooms that are quite cheap to purchase, especially if they're not situated in the city center. With a renovation of the kitchen, bathroom, and windows and doors, you should be good to go.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 109
Building a new house costs a lot of money,

The biggest premium would be the service of the workers who do the building, their skill and experience combined with land value and the transformation of clear or unused land into a working home can cost alot.   If someone acquires or can learn the skills to build a house, they only then need to solve the last part a way to get land cheaply before it becomes popular like a city builds up premium way over basic materials.    
    Most parts of the world you can not just build anywhere you like or own, there are all sorts of rules and drawbacks to consider but a few select places you have freedom it really does just come down to skill and time to stack bricks on solid unused land.   Building can be gigantically profitable and also highly in demand by society that often lacks good housing so its a sector which in theory should do well.

Final point would be that housing is possibly one of the most subsidized and government influenced sectors in the world.  I think only finance and debt is as overshadowed by the influence of government, also military hardware must be but these three are really political imo
there are many ways people are saving money are saving money. They are doing most of the work by themselves - renovating the old furniture - DIY stuff
Making their own cabins to cut costs and save some extra money.
Pages:
Jump to: