Pages:
Author

Topic: Is stealing Bitcoin illegal? - page 3. (Read 39479 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
BULL RUN until 2030
October 23, 2016, 06:53:26 AM
Let's say I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else. Is it legal to just take it? I understand those odds are very low, no need to lecture me, I'm just interested.
Yeah that is illegal becouse there is must be someone own that bitcoin. You should not take it. You have to generate another adress to save your ouwn bitcoin. Dont act like criminal it is doesnt good.
i agree with you that its illegal to steal bitcoin from other person and we can not use other people bitcoin and i also think that if someone steal other bitcoin they will be criminal and i think they can be punish after happen it.

Well in everything that you are going to steal that is against the law and if you don't want to be punished by law then don't steal. But bitcoin doesn't have law at all so I would say it is going to make the stealers or hackers to steal more bitcoins because no law is able to punish them. I think the international organization for bitcoin must create sort of this law.

Even  if you suggest  to make  a law   regarding  on this   stolen  bitcoins   then  i would say  it  still useless  to implement because  on the  anonymity of bitcoin itself   they would really  have a hard time   to track those  bitcoins  and  anyone  could  use mixing of their coins  which is  more  a hard thing  for them.
There's no law that is going to happen or be created, we are living in a anonymous world and that is the nature of bitcoin, it is either the government will ban the use of bitcoin or we will be successful in using this forever. If someone loses his bitcoins, normal reasons are because of negligence.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1018
Cashback 15%
October 23, 2016, 03:05:47 AM
Let's say I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else. Is it legal to just take it? I understand those odds are very low, no need to lecture me, I'm just interested.
Yeah that is illegal becouse there is must be someone own that bitcoin. You should not take it. You have to generate another adress to save your ouwn bitcoin. Dont act like criminal it is doesnt good.
i agree with you that its illegal to steal bitcoin from other person and we can not use other people bitcoin and i also think that if someone steal other bitcoin they will be criminal and i think they can be punish after happen it.

Well in everything that you are going to steal that is against the law and if you don't want to be punished by law then don't steal. But bitcoin doesn't have law at all so I would say it is going to make the stealers or hackers to steal more bitcoins because no law is able to punish them. I think the international organization for bitcoin must create sort of this law.

Even  if you suggest  to make  a law   regarding  on this   stolen  bitcoins   then  i would say  it  still useless  to implement because  on the  anonymity of bitcoin itself   they would really  have a hard time   to track those  bitcoins  and  anyone  could  use mixing of their coins  which is  more  a hard thing  for them.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1009
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK
October 22, 2016, 08:13:11 PM
It is a very evil things to do, we already have many thieves around us that want to tax us at 90%....

Let's stop the robbery, and focus our efforts to make bitcoin the nr.1 currency on the planet.
Activity: 896
Merit: 514
October 22, 2016, 05:52:19 PM
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
October 22, 2016, 01:42:55 PM
It's so funny I thought this place would be filled with smart people. You guys cannot even understand the context in a thread.

I was asking if somebody generated a BTC address, checked the BTC network, saw it already had BTC in it, then took it, if that is illegal. I am pretty certain it isn't. If you say it is and a BTC developer heard you I'm sure he'd give you a great big slap.

First of all, what are you talking about here is not possible. You can't just generate an address that already has a Bitcoin in it, because you can't generate the same address twice.
If you say it is and a BTC developer heard you I'm sure he'd give you a great big slap.

Are you serious right now? Your knowledge of Bitcoin is obviously very small. It's is 100% possible two people can get generate the same address but it is really really REALLY unlikely. Please don't talk about things you know nothing about to begin with.

So if something like that happens suppose you create an address and it automatically has bitcoins in it then that wont be considered stealing as they came to you mistakenly or because of a bug, the concept of stealing is probably taking something from somewhere willingly, so basically you are wrong by considering it stealing.
Bro isn't that kind of a weird thing to imagine of. If you created an already existing address it means you duplicated it. The Bitcoin that the address will be receiving won't be doubled as the both of you will only have one account. It is also like stealing as you prevented the real person who will receive it to have that btc in his own privacy. Of course you are only imagining things that are out of the possibility.

Its nothing about imagination, its about logic, it does not have any logic that you create a wallet willingly duplicating it to a wallet which already has bitcoins, but if that happens it is just a mistake in the system or a bug so that cannot be considered stealing, stealing would be if you do that yourself but that is not possible.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026
October 22, 2016, 12:59:44 PM
The common sense would tell us that stealing is illegal. It does not matter what somebody steals.

What if someone steals your 'idea' - is that illegal according to your dumb analysis.  What about 'time', what if someone steals your time?  is that illegal?  According to your rule, it is.  But according to the real law time is not tangible so stealing someone's time is not illegal. 

Bitcoin is also intangible.  Therefore, you can steal it all day long and you are just manipulating bit patterns on a crazy continuous list of similar bit patterns.  It is not illegal to put some bit patterns on the blockchain.  If that has the effect of 'stealing bitcoin' - it is just tough shit for the guy who lost them - but it is not illegal.

Activity: 396
Merit: 104
October 22, 2016, 12:10:48 PM
actully yes it is kind of illigal but here nobody will actully gonna punish you as it is not in power of any government but if someone really finds a scammer then yes they can take appropriate action like arresting them

that's the point , it would never be considered as illegal as long as government didn't a law about it . in our way of thinking yes it would be illegal but of course the government will only mind those things that they have the control at . and even at any angle we look at it , stealing is still wrong there would be no change on it .

The common sense would tell us that stealing is illegal. It does not matter what somebody steals.
Activity: 2744
Merit: 541
Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man
October 22, 2016, 12:06:53 PM
actully yes it is kind of illigal but here nobody will actully gonna punish you as it is not in power of any government but if someone really finds a scammer then yes they can take appropriate action like arresting them

that's the point , it would never be considered as illegal as long as government didn't a law about it . in our way of thinking yes it would be illegal but of course the government will only mind those things that they have the control at . and even at any angle we look at it , stealing is still wrong there would be no change on it .
legendary
Activity: 3276
Merit: 2442
October 22, 2016, 11:33:23 AM
As the others mentioned it... Who are you going to report to if your coins get stolen? The police simply won't give damn about your losses. To me, stealing anything is illegal but those who stole bitcoins can simply get away with it most of the time.

Since bitcoins is consider as digital money, its better go to a division of police that mainly deals with cyber crime. they will help you but since bitcoins is still new to their ears, it will be a 1 in a million chance to get a positive outcome

It seems you can't have anonymity and safety both at the same time. If you need the police to solve your problems, that means you need safety not anonymity. If you don't need police to solve your problems, then feel free to use bitcoin.

Hard to choose.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 514
October 22, 2016, 11:28:33 AM
As the others mentioned it... Who are you going to report to if your coins get stolen? The police simply won't give damn about your losses. To me, stealing anything is illegal but those who stole bitcoins can simply get away with it most of the time.

Since bitcoins is consider as digital money, its better go to a division of police that mainly deals with cyber crime. they will help you but since bitcoins is still new to their ears, it will be a 1 in a million chance to get a positive outcome
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
October 22, 2016, 09:41:39 AM
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1037
฿ → ∞
October 22, 2016, 09:14:58 AM
This thread is so full of shit, one can barely breathe.

Rico
Activity: 161
Merit: 100
October 22, 2016, 08:48:59 AM

It does not make it illegal, maybe morally wrong yes. Can you honestly say if you generated an address with 100 BTC in it you wouldn't spend it or send it to another address?
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
October 22, 2016, 07:36:14 AM
Activity: 1806
Merit: 671
October 22, 2016, 05:44:25 AM
It's so funny I thought this place would be filled with smart people. You guys cannot even understand the context in a thread.

I was asking if somebody generated a BTC address, checked the BTC network, saw it already had BTC in it, then took it, if that is illegal. I am pretty certain it isn't. If you say it is and a BTC developer heard you I'm sure he'd give you a great big slap.

First of all, what are you talking about here is not possible. You can't just generate an address that already has a Bitcoin in it, because you can't generate the same address twice.
If you say it is and a BTC developer heard you I'm sure he'd give you a great big slap.

Are you serious right now? Your knowledge of Bitcoin is obviously very small. It's is 100% possible two people can get generate the same address but it is really really REALLY unlikely. Please don't talk about things you know nothing about to begin with.

So if something like that happens suppose you create an address and it automatically has bitcoins in it then that wont be considered stealing as they came to you mistakenly or because of a bug, the concept of stealing is probably taking something from somewhere willingly, so basically you are wrong by considering it stealing.
Bro isn't that kind of a weird thing to imagine of. If you created an already existing address it means you duplicated it. The Bitcoin that the address will be receiving won't be doubled as the both of you will only have one account. It is also like stealing as you prevented the real person who will receive it to have that btc in his own privacy. Of course you are only imagining things that are out of the possibility.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
October 22, 2016, 05:20:35 AM

Activity: 378
BULL RUN until 2030
October 22, 2016, 04:52:42 AM

The problem is your analogy is no different then waking up one morning, opening a new account at a bank, and another person mistakenly depositing into your account. There have been several cases where a individual spent the money and was unable to repay once the bank discovered / corrected the issue. Those individuals are prosecuted with Felonys as at least in the US, robbing a bank is robbing the federal government as they are FDIC insured.

And that does not apply in bitcoin because bank are controlled by the government while bitcoin is not, we are living in a decentralized world and that makes us love bitcoin and if we have a chance to steal for sure people will do as there is no legal obligation for us if caught.

The world "stealing" says it all, if it's not your property and you take it, don't matter how, of course it ilegal...
If you catch a bill on the floor, it will be stealing or, to be more accurate: theft
That actually depends on the situation and on how you will justify your act, simply stealing is illegal and not right but with bitcoin I am not quite sure as it is a little complicated, the question is, how would you classify bitcoin?
Activity: 364
October 22, 2016, 02:50:37 AM

The problem is your analogy is no different then waking up one morning, opening a new account at a bank, and another person mistakenly depositing into your account. There have been several cases where a individual spent the money and was unable to repay once the bank discovered / corrected the issue. Those individuals are prosecuted with Felonys as at least in the US, robbing a bank is robbing the federal government as they are FDIC insured.

And that does not apply in bitcoin because bank are controlled by the government while bitcoin is not, we are living in a decentralized world and that makes us love bitcoin and if we have a chance to steal for sure people will do as there is no legal obligation for us if caught.

The world "stealing" says it all, if it's not your property and you take it, don't matter how, of course it ilegal...
If you catch a bill on the floor, it will be stealing or, to be more accurate: theft
legendary
Activity: 3150
Merit: 1148
October 22, 2016, 02:29:23 AM

Activity: 501
Merit: 340
Bye Felisha!
October 22, 2016, 12:38:54 AM

Pages:
Jump to: