Pages:
Author

Topic: Just remove signatures already. As in delete, disable, gone. - page 20. (Read 44829 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!
disabling ad campaigns is disabling freedom :> let us have our signature campaigns and just ban bumpers etc easiest way imo.
If every signature campaign only count & pay high quality post.
It already reduce spammer in this forum

I totally agree with both of you. Low quality posters will always be around, even with no signature ads allowed. The end results will be to ONLY lose those tiny tips signature ads give us.

Just my 2 satoshi.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
disabling ad campaigns is disabling freedom :> let us have our signature campaigns and just ban bumpers etc easiest way imo.

Why is it disabling freedom? Facebook doesn't have signatures and I've never seen anyone complain about it. Neither does Twitter, or commenting platforms such as Disqus.
But every bbforum does have them and it's part of the freedom. It would be really pointless on FB and on twitter so these are stupid examples for real.

Removing your signature doesn't impact your freedom. The only freedom you have here that I can think of is freedom of speech.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Why is it disabling freedom? Facebook doesn't have signatures and I've never seen anyone complain about it. Neither does Twitter, or commenting platforms such as Disqus.
But every bbforum does have them and it's part of the freedom. It would be really pointless on FB and on twitter so these are stupid examples for real.

Sorry, but most people nowadays use Facebook and Twitter. BB forums are a thing from the early Internet, and although they're still useful, truth is few people actually use them compared to the whole.

Why would it be pointless on Facebook but required on a BB forum?
legendary
Activity: 966

legendary
Activity: 1050
 I know I'm wearing a signature,but I agree with him. It should be removed, the forum is filled with spammers and unnecessary posts. Signatures shouldn't be removed, signature campaigns should be banned. There are a lot of people who use signatures for their own ventures and I fully support them. If you want signatures removed I would like to suggest an idea and have it be a hero/legendary member privilege.

To those who want to know why I am wearing a signature is because I have no use for it,so why not maximize my profits.

My 2 sats

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
If every signature campaign only count & pay high quality post.
It already reduce spammer in this forum
Activity: 700
Activity: 209
Merit: 100
Yes, delete all sigs... This forum is becoming really trashy with all the members promoting scams in sigs and how it encourages shill accounts or pointless posts.
Yes it does, however the mods/admins do fight aggressively against spam like posts and when accounts start to make too many pointless posts they will ban them (along with other accounts that are owned by the same person).

Paid signatures do however also give people incentives to participate in our community, which will lead to a greater adoption of bitcoin as well as give people a way a earn their first small amounts of bitcoin which will hopefully lead them to later buy larger amounts
Activity: 672
http://fuk.io - check it out!
sigs should stay, jsut sig ads should be paid so if somebody wants to make others incentive - he has to pay.
I didn't realize there was a thread already (I created a new one in the New Forum Software section), but yeah, I support removing the signatures.
Merit: 501
Yes, delete all sigs... This forum is becoming really trashy with all the members promoting scams in sigs and how it encourages shill accounts or pointless posts.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010
Ad maiora!
Well, obviously I am making money from a sig campaign, even though my sig is advertising a dud product. Don't ask me how or why, but they give me btc despite the fact I may or may not be almost unanimously ignored and/or derided as a known fool.

I do not agree that this forum has become totally saturated with junk posts, not entirely.
The more technical areas are still good, and some of the more philosophical discussions still hold value for me.
Economics are discussed at length and I for one have learned from these discussions.
Also, I wholly support a moritorium  on sig campaigns. I mean it when I say IDGAF, not just Internet but to your face.
You can bitch about quality or purity or motive, but in the end it is what YOU bring to the table that makes the difference.

"There are no jokes in Islam" Ayhatohlah Khomeni
"Every joke is a tiny revolution" George Orwell
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049
┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴
The best thing that can be done is to encourage signature campaigns to raise their standards for posting requirements in order to qualify to receive payment at the end of each payment cycle. People exhibiting mindless posting consistently should be barred from the signature campaign. The difficult part is getting the signature campaigns to accept partial liability for the constant spam around the forum. I don't think it will ever be changed because for one it increases the sites traffic and activity, and secondly the majority of signature campaigns will never agree to raise their posting standards because it would limit the amount of exposure for their business/advertisements.

This is actually the thing I strive to do. At the dawn of each monthly payment in the BIT-X.com signature campaign, I look for users who mindlessly post and disqualify those posts. It can become an issue when the campaign develops into a large advertising spree, a bit like PrimeDice was when over 150 users (most likely) were posting non stop. In that case, Stunna had no other choice than to let some pointless posts get paid.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
Removing signatures wouldn't necessarily stop paid advertising campaigns anyway.  The irony is, much like Bitcoin itself, there's nothing you can actually do to ban it outright.  If you disable signatures, which have set limits on the BB code that can be used, people would just start pasting the relevant advertising code directly into their posts, where there's no restriction on the BB code that can be used.  You'd have brand new accounts posting in giant 72px fonts in a various array of colours.  How about some flashing animated gifs for good measure?  Any semblance of legibility in threads would be decimated.  Be careful what you wish for, regulation and banning doesn't work anymore, this is Bitcoin we're talking about.   Grin

Secondary point, have you looked at comments on a youtube video lately?  People don't have to be paid to post stupid shit on the internet.  They spew it freely and in large quantities.

Signature content outside of the signature area is already not allowed. If it doesn't fit in the signature area, then it's not an appropriate signature.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Removing signatures wouldn't necessarily stop paid advertising campaigns anyway.  The irony is, much like Bitcoin itself, there's nothing you can actually do to ban it outright.  If you disable signatures, which have set limits on the BB code that can be used, people would just start pasting the relevant advertising code directly into their posts, where there's no restriction on the BB code that can be used.  You'd have brand new accounts posting in giant 72px fonts in a various array of colours.  How about some flashing animated gifs for good measure?  Any semblance of legibility in threads would be decimated.  Be careful what you wish for, regulation and banning doesn't work anymore, this is Bitcoin we're talking about.   Grin

Secondary point, have you looked at comments on a youtube video lately?  People don't have to be paid to post stupid shit on the internet.  They spew it freely and in large quantities.

Advertising in posts is banned. If the worry is about spam signups, that is easily avoided by Newbie jail.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.
Since PD has stopped their campaign I have noticed quite a reduction in spam since most of the current ones pay for a set amount.

It has increased now with the payments based on posts campaigns.

The activity and signature limit worked well to curb this for a few months. Its time Theymos did another scaling or adding new restrictions. Personally, I would prefer activity based on powers of 2, like in bit/byte/kB etc. Its a Bitcoin forum, so makes sense to count in bits.

Power's of 2 rankings would be cute.  But fwiw, most people count bitcoins in decimal.
legendary
Activity: 1022
The best thing that can be done is to encourage signature campaigns to raise their standards for posting requirements in order to qualify to receive payment at the end of each payment cycle. People exhibiting mindless posting consistently should be barred from the signature campaign. The difficult part is getting the signature campaigns to accept partial liability for the constant spam around the forum. I don't think it will ever be changed because for one it increases the sites traffic and activity, and secondly the majority of signature campaigns will never agree to raise their posting standards because it would limit the amount of exposure for their business/advertisements.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1248
What about the free market then? The ways to advertise are really limited in the bitcoin world, so people are using signatures to promote.
"Gambling is bad so don't allow gambling signatures" and I say: don't like it - don't click it! You can always hide signatures in your settings.

Signatures work like faucets and allow people to get some coins. Ask some newbies if they would like the signatures to be removed. Don't be selfish, not all of you are old members who could mine BTC on PC's.

maybe be best if the users were able to pickup on a larger choice of advertisements,  but I think is that is doesn't specific to the question right now.
Pages:
Jump to: