Pages:
Author

Topic: Keystone 3 HW coming soon! - page 4. (Read 1526 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 4
November 06, 2023, 07:10:14 AM
I need to sign a message to prove ownership of a receiving address on my new Keystone 3 Pro.
I did that before with Electrum and a BitBox02. But Electrum can't seem to sign messages using an airgapped wallet.
Any idea how to sign a message with Keystone 3 Pro?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
October 21, 2023, 08:54:32 AM
But I am not sure whether Keystone 3 will be completely open source like Trezor Safe 3 and Bitbox02, and be reproducible.
Or just wait a few months for more informations?
(Note: I cancelled my previous keystone 3 pro order)
The only thing I know is this piece of information:

Activity: 57
October 21, 2023, 06:10:07 AM
For those who are interested in getting one of these HWs, there's a 20% discount for its pre-sale that ends in 4 days!

I want 3 different brands of open source hardware wallets to store altcoins and spread risk.
I currently use Trezor One and placed an order of BitBox02, and need a third one of different brand.
I have noticed that Keystone 3 pro used an embedded system, not the previous Android OS.
But I am not sure whether Keystone 3 will be completely open source like Trezor Safe 3 and Bitbox02, and be reproducible.
Or just wait a few months for more informations?
(Note: I cancelled my previous keystone 3 pro order)
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
October 21, 2023, 05:10:32 AM
Important thing he notices about open source claims, Keystone said they will enable it later in November, that is next month so let's see what happens.
Looking forward to reading more about their embedded system [it looks quite laggy on a new device in 2023 (not sure if it's poorly optimized or the internal components aren't good enough)].

For those who are interested in getting one of these HWs, there's a 20% discount for its pre-sale that ends in 4 days!
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
October 21, 2023, 03:39:04 AM
and btw what's up with manufacturers naming hardware wallets with boring number 3, first it was Keystone, than Trezor, who is next Bitbox or Passport? Wink
Based on the information I found, Keystone used to have the Keystone Essential and the Keystone Pro. But the latter is just a better version of the former, so it's basically Keystone 1. Their Keystone 3 and Keystone 3 Pro versions should then be Keystone 2. Again we are looking at almost the same type of device. So I don't follow the logic of naming it Keystone 3. It would make more sense to call it Keystone 2 or Keystone 3 and 4.

It makes more sense for Trezor to do it. Trezor One is #1, Trezor T is #2, and Trezor Safe 3 is #3.

Important thing he notices about open source claims, Keystone said they will enable it later in November, that is next month so let's see what happens.
They call the wallet open-source software and hardware-wise all over their website and shop. Making it open-source in November doesn't change the fact that it wasn't like that in the past, and if the code wasn't verifiable, it could have done anything during that timeframe. 
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
October 20, 2023, 03:39:00 PM
Finally I managed to saw one video review for new Keystone 3 hardware wallet, and btw what's up with manufacturers naming hardware wallets with boring number 3, first it was Keystone, than Trezor, who is next Bitbox or Passport? Wink

Anyway, here is Keystone 3 video review made by Crypto Guide, I suggest everyone to watch it if you can, it's around 20 minutes long.
As of now Keystone 3 is still NOT open source device (yet).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyi-YznynSk
Activity: 57
September 30, 2023, 05:12:13 AM
I never said they are cheap or cheapest wallet in the world, but they are certainly airgapped open source devices with fair price.

Keystone is not open source, and I have been considering writing a blog posts that dives into their claims.

Here's their 5 GB+ Android OS that does not have source code available:

https://github.com/KeystoneHQ/Keystone-system

Due to copyright, some vendors’ code cannot be made public, and we have removed some of the code from the source code. Therefore this open source code cannot be compiled. However, we can share this part of code under an NDA if you want to fully verify the code and reproduce it. Please send an email to [email protected]. Since the size of a single repo on github cannot exceed 5G, we put the code on AWS. You can access the code through this link: keystone-system

What about their secure element firmware? Looks like that code can only be compiled with proprietary ARM software called Keil. https://github.com/KeystoneHQ/keystone-se-firmware

Additionally, there is no information as to who even makes their secure element. It's some kind of white labeled processor. https://github.com/KeystoneHQ/Keystone-developer-hub/blob/main/hardware/Keystone_V1.02_BOM.xls

Furthermore, their hardware schematic is not all-inclusive and omits the self-destruct mechanism.

Hopefully Keystone 3 will actually be open source, but I am growing tired of hardware wallet companies hiding behind false claims of open source. It really damages the definition and I consider it attack on the FOSS movement.

I didn't notice your remarks earlier, but I have already placed an order for a Keystone 3 Pro. Although I am a Chinese, but don't have much trust in Chinese products. There are very few well-known hardware wallets that support altcoins, which is quite unfortunate and leaves limited options.
I'm trying to contact Keystone for a refund. Alternatively, buying a Bitbox would be more reassuring.
legendary
August 25, 2023, 11:32:32 AM
Except secure element part.
In that case one can't say that the hardware structure of Foundation Passport is open-source. A great deal of it is, probably more than with other manufacturers. But you are still dealing with an essential close-source chip that is the Secure Element and probably NDAs just like with other brands. I remember that I read somewhere that they have an open-source hardware license. Not sure how one can acquire that unless each component qualifies as open-source. Anyways, this is the wrong topic for such discussions.   
legendary
Cashback 15%
August 25, 2023, 07:38:08 AM
Foundation Passport that claims that all its software and hardware is open-source.
Except secure element part.
ATECC608A and ATECC608B chips are probably better and more open then other secure elements used in hardware wallets, but they are still not open source.
Kestone is including this same secure element in new Keystone3, but they have additional secure element(s) from different manufacturers.

All Keystone 3 has been sold out!
You can now only order pre-sale Keystone with 20% discount, for around $103 + shipping.
They expect send batch to arrive in November.
legendary
August 13, 2023, 09:04:37 AM
The Trezor One and Ledger nano S were released in 2014 and 2016, respectively, and continue to receive updates to this day.
Regarding Ledger Nano S, it continues to receive some updates but not all. The crypto apps are the same for all three Ledger devices. So, when an app gets updated, users of all three models can update it on their end. The only thing the developers need to pay attention to is the limited memory on the old Nano S.

The firmware is a different question, though. The latest version of the Nano S firmware came out in late 2021. No updates since then.
At the same time, the Nano X's latest firmware version was released in July 2023.
The Nano S Plus' newest firmware dates back to February 2023.

Based on this, it's clear that the Nano S doesn't have priority for the Ledger team. 

I don't think there is any open source secure elements yet, so that means that all hardware wallets have weak spot here.
Me neither, but at the same time we have Foundation Passport that claims that all its software and hardware is open-source.
legendary
Cashback 15%
August 11, 2023, 05:51:50 PM
Keystone is not open source, and I have been considering writing a blog posts that dives into their claims.
I would be interested to read that blog post, and I know WalletScrutiny could not verify source code for older version but that was one year ago.
This is not the first time I saw companies from China doing modification on source codes like this.

What about their secure element firmware? Looks like that code can only be compiled with proprietary ARM software called Keil. https://github.com/KeystoneHQ/keystone-se-firmware
I don't think there is any open source secure elements yet, so that means that all hardware wallets have weak spot here.
Not that I am comparing this with Keystone example.

Additionally, there is no information as to who even makes their secure element. It's some kind of white labeled processor. https://github.com/KeystoneHQ/Keystone-developer-hub/blob/main/hardware/Keystone_V1.02_BOM.xls
This is for older device, I am not sure they released code for new devices yet.
They changed it now and they released in public name of all secure elements, one of them is the same chip like Passport is using.
ATECC608B + Maxim DS28S60 (+ Maxim MAX32520 that is used only for Keystone 3 Pro version)

Hopefully Keystone 3 will actually be open source, but I am growing tired of hardware wallet companies hiding behind false claims of open source. It really damages the definition and I consider it attack on the FOSS movement.
I agree with this.
When I asked Keystone CEO all this questions he refused to tell me more information, I think becasue they have signed some NDA crap.  Tongue

Yes. there are other differences. For example Keystone 3 doesn't support multiple private keys at the same time as the Pro version. Also not supporting upgrade using the USB cable.
Maybe this is not such a bad thing, since I don't consider Keystone 3 Pro to be true airgapped device anymore.
Activity: 51
Merit: 76
August 10, 2023, 02:46:05 PM
Do you know if there will be any other difference between Keystone 3 Pro and regular version, except the lack of biometric fingerprint scanner and third secure element?
Yes. there are other differences. For example Keystone 3 doesn't support multiple private keys at the same time as the Pro version. Also not supporting upgrade using the USB cable.
You can see a comparation between both versions here: https://thebitcoinhole.com/wallets/keystone-3-vs-keystone-3-pro
Activity: 58
Merit: 104
August 09, 2023, 09:10:21 PM
I never said they are cheap or cheapest wallet in the world, but they are certainly airgapped open source devices with fair price.

Here's their 5 GB+ Android OS that does not have source code available:

https://github.com/KeystoneHQ/Keystone-system

Due to copyright, some vendors’ code cannot be made public, and we have removed some of the code from the source code. Therefore this open source code cannot be compiled. However, we can share this part of code under an NDA if you want to fully verify the code and reproduce it. Please send an email to [email protected]. Since the size of a single repo on github cannot exceed 5G, we put the code on AWS. You can access the code through this link: keystone-system

Furthermore, their hardware schematic is not all-inclusive and omits the self-destruct mechanism.

legendary
Cashback 15%
August 09, 2023, 06:08:50 PM
I do not dispute the fact that the Ledger nano S has been discontinued, which is absolutely natural since they are replaced by the nano s plus model, but they still receive firmware updates.
So does Keystone previous version.
It is more likely that ledger will soon stop updating ledger S, because they announced it themselves.
But if you like using ledgers old closed source junk, go ahead and do it, your choice.

You also write about the low price of the Keystone, but I bought my Keystone Pro for $169 and pretty soon I'll have to throw it in the dustbin. I also want to remind you that they previously released one of the most expensive wallets in the world Cobo vault worth $479, which someone probably bought and already threw in the trash.
Keystone always had a lot of discounts and promotions.
Activity: 21
Merit: 7
August 08, 2023, 10:36:41 PM
This is bunch or crap and incorrect information, and ledger has the worst hardware wallets in the world.
Ledger model S stopped manufacturing, ledger X uses worst batteries ever, they have a bunch of old models that ended up in graveyard, not to mention all the leaks, closed source code, recent disaster with Rec0very crap, etc.

I do not dispute the fact that the Ledger nano S has been discontinued, which is absolutely natural since they are replaced by the nano s plus model, but they still receive firmware updates.

You also write about the low price of the Keystone, but I bought my Keystone Pro for $169 and pretty soon I'll have to throw it in the dustbin. I also want to remind you that they previously released one of the most expensive wallets in the world Cobo vault worth $479, which someone probably bought and already threw in the trash.

But if you like to throw away wallets a few years after purchase and then buy new ones, then I will not argue with that, that's your right.

legendary
Cashback 15%
August 08, 2023, 05:27:16 PM
Has anyone passed the Keystone vote?
I don't think it really matters because they already made a decision, and this was just a way to get more attention from people.
Like whitelisting was not only for people who applied on twitter, it is for everyone in next 6-7 days...

In my opinion, they give too short a life for their relatively expensive wallets.
And where is the guarantee that in a couple of years they will again not offer everyone to switch to Keystone 4?
Expensive?!
Price was always around $100, much cheaper that Trezor T, ledgers, and most other hardware wallets offered today.

Anyway...website redesign is now complete, but Keystone also released yet again new Keystone logo, and they are officially releasing Kestone 3 Pro version for discount price of $90 (plus shipping).
This is currently one of the best deals for hardware wallets and price is fair in my opinion, but I more interested in Bitcoin only version or one with removable battery (they are thinking of releasing this in future).
I listened latest interview with Keystone CEO and if I understood correctly this new bitcoin-only wallet will have totally different name and branding.

https://keyst.one/

The Trezor One and Ledger nano S were released in 2014 and 2016, respectively, and continue to receive updates to this day. Keystone is ending support for two generations of its wallets (3 Cobo models and 2 Keystone models) in a fairly short period of time. Personally, I no longer trust their products.
This is bunch or crap and incorrect information, and ledger has the worst hardware wallets in the world.
Ledger model S stopped manufacturing, ledger X uses worst batteries ever, they have a bunch of old models that ended up in graveyard, not to mention all the leaks, closed source code, recent disaster with Rec0very crap, etc.
Activity: 21
Merit: 7
August 08, 2023, 01:12:49 PM
In general, in any case, after 18 months, regular Keystone wallets (gen.2) will not receive updates.

The Trezor One and Ledger nano S were released in 2014 and 2016, respectively, and continue to receive updates to this day. Keystone is ending support for two generations of its wallets (3 Cobo models and 2 Keystone models) in a fairly short period of time. Personally, I no longer trust their products.
Activity: 341
Merit: 165
August 07, 2023, 01:43:10 PM
Has anyone passed the Keystone vote?

Hey Keystone users, the time has come! Vote to help us decide our focus for the next 18 months! 

Option A: Keystone to maintain the Gen2 firmware for another 18 months, with continued feature additions & bug fixes. However, this will slow the development of Keystone 3 significantly due to the tech-structure difference between Gen2 & Gen3 devices 

Option B: Keystone to maintain the Gen2 firmware for another 18 months and focus primarily on bug fixes only. This would allow us to concentrate more on rapidly improving, growing and scaling Keystone 3

In general, in any case, after 18 months, regular Keystone wallets (gen.2) will not receive updates.
And now let's remember the story: first they release COBO wallets, then, due to internal disagreements, they stop supporting them and offer users to buy the same thing again but under the Keystone brand.
Now they are again offering to switch to the new Keystone 3 wallet, which does not differ significantly from the old models.
In my opinion, they give too short a life for their relatively expensive wallets.
And where is the guarantee that in a couple of years they will again not offer everyone to switch to Keystone 4?

legendary
Cashback 15%
August 03, 2023, 04:47:09 PM
We had the chance to receive a prototype of the new Keystone 3 Pro.
Nice gesture from Keystone team.
Do you know if there will be any other difference between Keystone 3 Pro and regular version, except the lack of biometric fingerprint scanner and third secure element?
I know older version difference was tampering detection and I was wondering if that was the same in new version.
Biometrics are not my thing, especially for hardware wallets and saving $30 is also nice.

Looks like Keystone 3  will miss EU market as European Parliament mandates  removable batteries in smartphone and all consumer electronics.
Maybe they will introduce additional model with removable battery soon, but even now you are purchasing all smartphones with non-removable batteries in EU.
Activity: 714
Merit: 1298
Cashback 15%
August 02, 2023, 10:10:42 AM

❌ Missing removable battery. This is something will miss compared with the previous generation.

Looks like Keystone 3  will miss EU market as European Parliament mandates  removable batteries in smartphone and all consumer electronics.

According to https://wallets.thebitcoinhole.com/ Keystone wallets are produced by China company (the headquarter is in Hong Kong) and, AFAIK, the companies from this country are tradiitionally oriented on EU market, so the decision to make battery irremovable in this particular model seems to be very strange.
Pages:
Jump to: