Pages:
Author

Topic: Klondike - Adapters and Mounting Systems - page 2. (Read 7736 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
The issue I have with the K64 bracket is the hole spacing depends (and will probably vary) on the manufacturer.   So unless I can come up with an adjustable mounting system, we have to wait until a k64 has been made and someone measures it.

In that case, I hope you gets yours before I get mine  Grin
Activity: 269
The issue I have with the K64 bracket is the hole spacing depends (and will probably vary) on the manufacturer.   So unless I can come up with an adjustable mounting system, we have to wait until a k64 has been made and someone measures it.
Now in black...

Activity: 479
https://streamies.io/
I have 2 64s coming also and would love to get 2 brackets.  Worst case I'll have to get some sheet alum and make my own tray to mount the boards and mount that inside my case.
got my order today, thanks!

highly recommended to anyone thinking about using these to mount their klondikes, great work.  I will definitely order again

if only my klondikes would get here that quickly  Wink

EDIT: will be watching for those k64 atx plates, since no word from TH on changing my order to k16s I will probably need one

You're welcome. Smiley

Haven't worked on the K64 plate in awhile, but I will have to at some point since I too have K64's on order Smiley
got my order today, thanks!

highly recommended to anyone thinking about using these to mount their klondikes, great work.  I will definitely order again

if only my klondikes would get here that quickly  Wink

EDIT: will be watching for those k64 atx plates, since no word from TH on changing my order to k16s I will probably need one
so how would the K64's be mounted in this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816228062

So far, like this:

This image is almost to scale -- 19" 4-post rack, 200x200x43mm K64's.
Activity: 232
Merit: 100
so how would the K64's be mounted in this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816228062
12?? damn... you're givin me somethin to think about now  Smiley 

my problem is that I will probably have both k16s and k64s... I was thinking of either using long bolts to secure the 4u hangers to the top of the case, like a blowhole fan, or bending some aluminum rails to make lower supports that your brackets could rest on.  the case I am looking at is 20.574cm wide, a 4u is 17.78cm giving me 2.794cm more space than a 4u.  in the long term when it's full I would like to have 3x k64 and 8-12x k16.

Is there some reason you say the support has to be at the top? Or could I potentially rig up something like I described to hold the weight of the boards from below?

No reason. I was just thinking that a K64 mounted only at the bottom would tend to be wobbly and not secure.  Kind of like dogie just mentioned about K16's in PCIE slot.  Obviously a K16 is four times less mass, at half the height so I think K16 is fine to bottom mount with just two holes.
Rethink the PCI-E based brackets, you'll either snap the extrude as soon as you move the case, or damage the slot. Really need it to screw into the I/O panels.

I tried it and it works great.  It's no different than inserting a PCI-E card.  Also very strong - unless a K16 weighs over a couple pounds, I think it's fine Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Rethink the PCI-E based brackets, you'll either snap the extrude as soon as you move the case, or damage the slot. Really need it to screw into the I/O panels.
12?? damn... you're givin me somethin to think about now  Smiley 

my problem is that I will probably have both k16s and k64s... I was thinking of either using long bolts to secure the 4u hangers to the top of the case, like a blowhole fan, or bending some aluminum rails to make lower supports that your brackets could rest on.  the case I am looking at is 20.574cm wide, a 4u is 17.78cm giving me 2.794cm more space than a 4u.  in the long term when it's full I would like to have 3x k64 and 8-12x k16.

Is there some reason you say the support has to be at the top? Or could I potentially rig up something like I described to hold the weight of the boards from below?
Oh this is better than I thought.   Four K64's will fit in 1U or 2U no problem.  At least 12 would fit in that $150 case on newegg with room to spare...
Hmmm...this gave me an idea for an adapter that directly mounts Klondike 64's into the standard 19" rack/cabinet mounting form factor. 
For anyone who was hesitant to order due to the SSL warning, I purchased an SSL certificate that won't display warning.

Klondike Adapters:
https://cp.virtualvm.com/cart.php
Three K64's should fit into a 4U case using standoffs (depending on heatsink dimensions).

Do you think that setup would work in a normal tower case, or will it need some other support besides standoffs?  Does it have to be set down horizontal?

Yep, it will work in a tower case.  I'm sure two K64's would stack, three or more will depend on the width of the case.  If a tower case is at least ~25cm wide, you could fit a lot more K64's inside, without stacking.  The K64's mounted vertically would need an upper support of some kind attached to the lid of the case.

Perhaps a 6U case would be easier, like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816228062

-jon
Three K64's should fit into a 4U case using standoffs (depending on heatsink dimensions).

Do you think that setup would work in a normal tower case, or will it need some other support besides standoffs?  Does it have to be set down horizontal?
All orders up to today have now been shipped.

I now have a stock of 3.5" and 5.25" adapters.  These adapters will ship immediately.

Just received a big small box (400 pieces) of steel hardware from McMaster.  Smiley
What's your production capacity?

For an example, the 3.5" adapters (no logo) print at two sets per hour.  Most of the other adapters take longer.  I should be able to keep up, especially if I print stock ahead of time.

There are also plenty of other 3D printers to spread the load if needed.

Pages:
Jump to: