Pages:
Author

Topic: Klondike - Adapters and Mounting Systems - page 4. (Read 7736 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I'll have a FORM1 in a month or so.. not sure if its resin holds up to heat better or worse than ABS
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
I am interested in a cabling-kit for K16s. Like, chaining them and cabling for powering several of them with one PCIe-connector.
Europe here, by the way.

I bet if your prices are reasonable, you could easily create the "standart solution", with 3 out of 4 Klondikes using it.

Ente
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Great efforts, loving the DIY progress, and hacks!
Activity: 269
Thank you for sharing.

I do wonder how these would hold up with all the heat when printed with ABS ? PLA of course, is definitely a no-no as it will tend to get "soft".

[edited for accuracy]

I print ABS at 230 degrees Celsius and it's solid below 105 Celsius.   It will soften above 90 celsius (194 degrees fahrenheit)

-j
legendary
Activity: 876
Merit: 1000
Etherscan.io
Thank you for sharing.

I do wonder how these would hold up with all the heat when printed with ABS ? PLA of course, is definitely a no-no as it will tend to get "soft".
Thanks.  I Looove tinkercad.  How else could a person accurately design this in 30 minutes? Wink

By request, a 5.25" Bay adapter for two K16's:

202 x 146.05 mm  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 876
Etherscan.io
Ah.. Tinkercad...Nice renderings. I was planning to do something like that once I get my boards Grin
Finished a dual K16 adapter for 3.5" drive bays.  It's 202mm in length and can be mounted in 6 different positions.

With a heatsink support:

This is only a proof of concept - the actual adapter in the picture (red) would not be as tall.  The K16 board would not only be held in place with two screws, but also the PCB edge can sit on the adapter to support the weight.
And if you want to see it populated with K16 boards and 20mm heatsinks...

Here's how 16x Klondike 16 boards could mount into a standard PC case in place of a Micro-ATX (9.6" x 9.6") motherboard.

I used the existing 'hanging' adapters I had on hand (red) but if I was really going to do this, I would make slimmer, less beefy adapters, and space them slightly further apart.  I believe it would end up with at least 30mm of space for each K16, which is good.

As for mounting K64 boards, it will be simple to use the same Micro-ATX plate and add horizontal mount points for 1, 2, 3(+?) K64 boards.  More than one K64 would only require the appropriate spacers.
Activity: 529
Merit: 500
Beautiful!
I now have an idea for mounting K64's, and also a new idea for K16's that could be really neat.  Smiley
Will you make adapters for 5.25" bays?

Sure thing.  Consider it done. Smiley
Activity: 771
Merit: 258
Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!
Great work. Will be interested in full kit!
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Will you make adapters for 5.25" bays?
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
nice work dude. looking great
Activity: 924
Elegant solution... show your brackets with a heat sink and mock up the cables so we can see how it all goes together. Drop me an email our COOP might be interested in working with you for bulk orders. [email protected]

In terms of a K64 or K256 bracket mount maybe you can look at 1U servers or blades designs for dropping these boards into existing server casings.
Activity: 308
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
At 20x20cm, I don't know how a K64 could fit into any standard case.
I was thinking about trying to mount it to the opening panel of a case by drilling a few holes, but I see what you mean...

Will be watching either way
Pages:
Jump to: