Pages:
Author

Topic: Know when to stop a HODL/HOLD - page 42. (Read 41099 times)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0
August 22, 2018, 02:15:35 AM
Holding is risky, that's true. But selling at >80% total loss of portfolio is just plain dumb in my opinion. I would rather see my portfolio go to zero, and learn some things along the way, than to sell now, lose hundreds of dollars and see the markets turn to green in a couple of months again. Just remember, crypto is a risky business, your investment can go from 1000 to 10 bucks in a matter of weeks. But something that most people don't realize, especially in a bear market, is that you investment of 10 bucks could also go to 1000 bucks in a matter of weeks if you play it right. Gambling is always risky, and that's exactly what investing in crypto is.
Activity: 1344
Merit: 502
August 22, 2018, 02:13:54 AM
The main distinction here is between traders and investors

Traders will generally seek to take profits where possible whereas investors new or not will tend to hold for a longer period of time to gain a return on their investment

Newbies do get swayed easily by hype, FUD and market volatility so it's best for them to make a proper analysis before reacting to anything like that
Activity: 1400
Merit: 283
August 21, 2018, 01:28:40 PM
Newbies can easily be influenced from what they hear from speculations.. I've read several times people tend to advice to hold long term. because its easy for them to say JUST HOLD cause theyre not the one losing! For me its not all about holding, its being smart about your own invesment know when to stop and cut the losses.  

What are your thoughts?
I think holding should be based on what you are investing in, for example bitcoin is one hundred percent worth holding and also holding it for a long time won't hurt because its value always keeps on going up, altcoins are a hit and miss because their value is always changing so if you are planing on holding them than you need to look at the charts and know exactly when they change and how they change.
Activity: 26
August 21, 2018, 01:12:39 PM
Newbies can easily be influenced from what they hear from speculations.. I've read several times people tend to advice to hold long term. because its easy for them to say JUST HOLD cause theyre not the one losing! For me its not all about holding, its being smart about your own invesment know when to stop and cut the losses.  

What are your thoughts?

Yes you're right,  not all the time you had to rely on the speculation because after all it is just only speculation which can be a true or not. Your own decision is most important not them.
Activity: 840
Merit: 266
August 21, 2018, 01:12:03 PM
You know what just a couple of days ago I decided to cut my losses and move my holdings on certain Token to Ethereum and guess what! This token for the first time in weeks started to move up! My point is, it is not really an easy thing to know when to stop loss and move one sometimes you are holding a really good token but it has a bad time in the market and you keep talk yourself in holding and when you finally  decide to cut your losses things start to move and you can not help it but feel the regret because of selling that token. I think make a decision based on study and stick with it is the best thing to do and unless nothing hardcore change in the token/coin you hold then there is no reason to change your decision.
Activity: 364
Merit: 10
August 21, 2018, 01:10:04 PM

What are your thoughts?

i am also a victim of hodl till death and nothing happens. i think it is better know the timing when to hodl and when to let go. cutloss is very important in trading set aside your emotions and do the right thing and not be swayed by forever hodlers
Activity: 45
August 21, 2018, 01:08:40 PM
Always be smart with your investment and know when to withdraw, I think that sometimes we let ourselves be influenced by greed and we do not measure that if we retire at this specific moment we would be making huge profits, we always believe that we can get more, but often not, there are many currencies that reach their ATH and then what they do is normalize, so when we see that the price rises so exponentially we have to analyze the situation well and see if historically there is any chance of a repeat or a further rise.
Activity: 353
Merit: 4
August 21, 2018, 01:08:08 PM
I think for now the price has dropped too far, and I prefer to hold it for longer, because it's better to save me from losses.
Activity: 210
August 21, 2018, 01:07:25 PM
Yes, you are right. it takes a good time to hold and buy back if the market conditions are not good. if you are smart and good at choosing the time to buy then you will get a profit.
Activity: 588
Merit: 100
August 21, 2018, 01:03:58 PM
I totally agree to you. The purpose of holding is for the user to know when to sell so that he/she can minimize lost or even maximize profit. Some users tend to overdo holding until they hit a spot where they cannot sell their coin because it losses all of its value. Holding is a sense of smart selling where you should sell where you benefit best.
Activity: 644
Merit: 101
📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP
August 21, 2018, 01:02:24 PM

What are your thoughts?

just don't become greedy set a profit mark up on your investments and then place the sell order and if the price of the coin is declining then sell your alts with the 5% of loss of your purchse.
Activity: 700
August 21, 2018, 12:52:42 PM
I have no information about when you will end this huge red panic, whether it is worth waiting for the prices to return to their values in March 2018. I think most people agree with me, that it is necessary to wait until there is green light.
Activity: 1302
Merit: 25
August 21, 2018, 12:50:27 PM

What are your thoughts?

You are quite right in your view. Holding should not mean to become foolish while your coin is fast disappearing  Tongue. No, it means knowing the appropriate time to sell. For instance, if you have an insider information that the altcoin you have isn't going anywhere, the best to do is let it go.
Activity: 188
Merit: 10
DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO
August 21, 2018, 12:47:45 PM
I always sell when I'm profitable. I will not hold it too long and wait for the peak to reach. That's a lot of risk. Investors have a lot of money they will hold for a long time.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169
August 21, 2018, 12:44:29 PM
Well you got a point in some point on hodling, But I think to keep on hodling is the best answer to everything, But I think to keep a portion of the hodl is the best way to do it, You would sell some and the half value you will then hodl it, I guess this is the right thing to do, You just need a portion to still keep you in the game of hodling, you will get the portion of profiting and a portion to keep you on the game.
Activity: 644
August 21, 2018, 12:39:34 PM
Can my experience to say stupid Khold is not quite right during the growth fix,sell,and during the correction, to buy and hold,and not not sold during growth,and all went down,and some of you will be in minus sell,evopro why then did it all minus to work?
Activity: 2632
Merit: 833
August 21, 2018, 12:38:00 PM

What are your thoughts?

HOLDing is a smart strategy as well.

Others can't stomach seeing their investment going down, so they trade but obviously is difficult as it may sound. That's why its better for newbies to just HODL specially at the current market situations. Or its better to buy in this dip and look at your investment for the long haul. No stress whatever from the newbies end.
Activity: 630
Merit: 256
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
August 21, 2018, 12:37:37 PM
Off course and that is the strategy behind the holding mate. If someone is suggesting you to hold then it doesnt just mean holding but acting upon your investment time to time basis. You should be doing this by either selling whenever the held coin(s) are in the profits and when you get those profits in your account then just try to reinvest the whole thing by doing the compounding and thus continue to hold. This will multiply your profits heavily and I guess it is the smart way of doing the HODL.  Smiley
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1
Base.protocol
August 21, 2018, 12:37:03 PM
I think people are more informed than last year, some newbie take decisions that depends on their previous experience. In my opinion just be smart, take profit and reinvest
Activity: 752
Merit: 500
Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform
August 21, 2018, 12:36:40 PM

What are your thoughts?
Because the newbie will not know when to buy and when to sell. And they buy at high prices, so the advice for them is to hold and wait for the market to return. It is a way of helping the newbie do not panic and sell cheap away the cryptocurrency they have bought
Pages:
Jump to: