Pages:
Author

Topic: Lauda/TMAN/minifrij/IronMarvel2/owlcatz extortion attempt - page 16. (Read 48752 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
In fact it's safe to say they have alt accounts high up in the DT system
It's only safe to say such if you have evidence to back it up.

Don't forget Lauda was once a moderator in the Croatian section
They also moderated the Speculation section, which is why they were a Staff member. I don't understand what this has to do with anything however.

You want to play stupid?
Lauda is Croatian I am 90% sure on this, you do not get modded for a countries section if you're not fluent in that language (Or even show any interest to mod a section if you didn't speak that language, Lauda showed interest in the Croatian section, I wonder why), by the way they typed and worded things I can tell 100% they are totally fluent in writing and speaking Croatian

Why are you always defending Lauda? in all topics I see
Are you an alt?
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1267
In Memory of Zepher
In fact it's safe to say they have alt accounts high up in the DT system
It's only safe to say such if you have evidence to back it up.

Don't forget Lauda was once a moderator in the Croatian section
They also moderated the Speculation section, which is why they were a Staff member. I don't understand what this has to do with anything however.
And what's mind boggling is that Lauda still has green trust, In fact it's safe to say they have alt accounts high up in the DT system
Don't forget Lauda was once a moderator in the Croatian section https://web.archive.org/web/20161231143757/https://bitcointalk.org/
copper member
Activity: 2926
Merit: 2348
I want to publicly say that I strongly disagree with the removal of negative ratings against Lauda/TMAN.

In the case of Lauda, this is not the first time that he has been accused of extorting someone, and AFAICT, the claims that zeroaxl was evading taxes/engaging in illegal activity were baseless. What could be reasonably confirmed however was that zeroaxl has/had a large amount of BTC, and had the resources to pay an extortion payment in order to prevent an invasive police investigation.

The first "extortion attempt" didn't seem legitimate to me.

This thread is disturbing but I would have liked to see an actual transaction as more solid proof that Lauda wasn't just bluffing to bring a scammer out into the open. If it was a bluff for entrapment, it is not extortion, even though I don't agree with the behavior. For me it seems like speculation as to what would or could have happened and just having speculation doesn't make it easy marking a person negative for extortion who appears to put a good amount of time and effort into helping the community and people in general.

I agree with the Staff removal and would be fine leaving a negative feedback if I had better evidence of actual extortion but I don't see it.
Sorry for the severely delayed response.

It looks like you agreed that Lauda did in fact extort zeroaxl below, however I would point out that findlaw.com describes extortion as "[...]gaining of [...]money[...] by [...] threat of [...] harm to reputation, or 4) unfavorable government action[...]" and also "[...]threat to expose the details of someone's private lives to the public unless money is exchanged[...]"

I would say that it is clear that Lauda's and TMAN's action meet the above criteria.

In regards to this potentially being a "bluff for entrapment" I would strongly disagree that is the case. I would point out that paying an extortion payment is not an admission of guilt. For example, if Lauda were to tell you that you needed to send him 2 BTC or he will tell your wife that you recently cheated on her, the fact that you (hypothetically) paid this extortion payment does not necessarily mean that you recently cheated on your wife. I presume that most people would not want their significant other receiving this kind of message -- the chances of you paying might be higher if you had cheated on her many years ago that she found out about (possibly in a similar manor), but remain loyal since then, or if your wife has trust issues, or if you are having marital problems, but remain loyal to her.

I also remember a few years ago that Roger Ver posted a video of him receiving a skype call in which someone threatened to "SWAT" his mother if he did not sent 20 BTC to a specific address. I suspect that there was no reason for a SWAT team to visit Ver's mother's house, however Ver might have paid if he didn't want his mother getting 'swated' -- IIRC Ver actually ended up offering a 20 BTC bounty for the guy's arrest.

This is not a case of extortion strictly speaking, rather it is a case of attempted extortion, which is just as much of a crime, and is just as bad.

In regards to your comments about my motives, I would say that I have a history of not being friendly to extortionists. I would refer you to my public interactions regarding puzzle.me and and candystripes/thoughtful to see my long history of my strong negative opinions regarding attempted extortion.
Just here for a friendly bump
Activity: 756
Merit: 510
Dear me, I think I'm becoming a god
Ridiculous how Lauda can make extortion attempts and not get negative trust for it, the trust system is being monopolized guys, the forum is going to shit
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 2219
💲🏎️💨🚓
A friendly bump to keep this near the top

quickseller -499: -9 / +13 called me an idiot, so I pooed in my pants...
A friendly bump to keep this near the top
Activity: 196
Merit: 101
Archived for future reference: http://archive.is/QtagX#selection-2397.0-2419.41

Just a small bump to keep this at the top

That definitely proves you're an alt of the alt known as quickseller bumping their thread no less.  Forget which alt you've logged in with eh?

I can't really remember who I'm an alt of. Put me down as a QS alt I suppose.
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.

That definitely proves you're an alt of the alt known as quickseller bumping their thread no less.  Forget which alt you've logged in with eh?
Do you have other proof of this or just this bump?
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 2219
💲🏎️💨🚓

legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.
The raw facts that QS posted seemed accurate but I just didn't have the same interpretations or draw the same conclusions.
No, they are most certainly not facts. Whilst I am not going to waste my time debunking the whole thread, especially not considering the time passed since the event, here's one example:
Immidiately prior to sending this 'extortion message' Lauda (and upon information and belief, others) was (were) badgering zeroaxl about his alleged criminal activity.
This is a blatant lie. If my memory serves me correctly, I had sent zero messages to Zeroxal prior to the 'string message' itself (at least not within that month; e.g. we had a trade a long time ago).
I don't really see the example you listed as a fact but more hearsay or opinion because I did not see anything solid to really back that particular statement up. I'm primarily referring to the links and archive information that had been posted as being the closest set of factual data that could be explored (I explored more than this, but that data was I guess what I would call my starting point), I certainly try to comprehend these opinions and take them into account but I don't normally accept them as fact unless I find or see adequate proof. Not that this statement would have altered my conclusions anyway...

As for wasting your time, IMO time itself should not make this go away or be any less relevant, the facts should do that. I realize I'm late on this thread, for various reasons, but felt the need to respond with an explanation of why I didn't feel right leaving a negative rating.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1193
I don't believe in denial.
I did?!? What are you talking about??? What did I do...  Huh
Corrected the wording of my post

Thank you. And yes, if things went down as - pretty much - described; it was pretty "wrong". But in Lauda's case it was "mistake" wrong (and he was punished [lost his staff status] for it) and not "evil" wrong (which should lead to a "guilty conscience"). There is a significant difference...
I did?!? What are you talking about??? What did I do...  Huh

Corrected the wording of my post
legendary
Your logic is flawed [...]
Right, but that still makes the thing that you did wrong.

I did?!? What are you talking about??? What did I do...  Huh
Your logic is flawed; one can do something stupid, learn from ones mistakes and - with a clear conscience - try to never do it again. Or one can do something immoral, leading to a guilty conscience (in a healthy individual). One does not exclude the other but certainly also not imply each other...

Right, but that still makes the thing that the person did wrong.
legendary
If you didn't do anything wrong and have a clear conscience then logistically you should have no problem doing it again, right? If you did nothing wrong then why not do it again?

Your logic is flawed; one can do something stupid, learn from ones mistakes and - with a clear conscience - try to never do it again. Or one can do something immoral, leading to a guilty conscience (in a healthy individual). One does not exclude the other but certainly also not imply each other...
copper member
Activity: 2926
Merit: 2348
If you didn't do anything wrong and have a clear conscience then logistically you should have no problem doing it again, right? If you did nothing wrong then why not do it again?
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
The raw facts that QS posted seemed accurate but I just didn't have the same interpretations or draw the same conclusions.
No, they are most certainly not facts. Whilst I am not going to waste my time debunking the whole thread, especially not considering the time passed since the event, here's one example:
My conscious is pretty clear,
So, in the same circumstances, you would be comfortable doing the same thing again?
No. I have stated this long ago. If not publicly, then privately.
Pages:
Jump to: