Pages:
Author

Topic: Let There Be Dark! Bitcoin Dark Wallet - page 10. (Read 50217 times)

Activity: 330
Merit: 252
NEIN, ICH BIN DER BITCOIN!
November 02, 2013, 02:15:19 AM
Anyway, i donated 0.5 btc earlier that day. It's an interesting tool.... Letz see what happens next! Cool
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2222
Chief Scientist
November 01, 2013, 10:50:37 PM
https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=204 - the projects there were incomplete implementations and mostly recent.

You're right, I apologize. I just added libbitcoin to that list.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.
November 01, 2013, 10:00:31 PM
I think you have made irresponsible decisions in the past, and I don't trust that you would handle sensitive security issues responsibly.
Care to share some links to back this up, for us newbies, please?
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
November 01, 2013, 09:18:37 PM
Gavin, anyway it's good you support other implementations. Thanks for the positive words.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
November 01, 2013, 09:03:43 PM
Donated.

Get coding fellas and good luck.
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
November 01, 2013, 08:49:44 PM
RE: bitcoin-security mailing list:  bottom line is I don't trust you.
Is there someone (even just one) on the darkwallet "team" that you trust more and enough than genjix ?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
November 01, 2013, 08:43:30 PM
the idea is pretty stupid if you ask me.
legendary
November 01, 2013, 08:34:43 PM
https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=204 - the projects there were incomplete implementations and mostly recent.

Truth is that there are development decisions happening behind closed doors that me, other developers and the community are not privy to. And this places the class of developers (not your friends) at a disadvantage due to institutionalised structures imposed on bitcoin development. This is why I believe in a diversified software ecosystem with no single party having power over development decisions - it is a process that can be corrupted by personal preference and favoritism.

Also about libbitcoin's quality: http://libbitcoin.dyne.org/doc/ - any objective developer is open to review the fundamentals.
legendary
Chief Scientist
November 01, 2013, 07:30:29 PM
RE: bitcoin-security mailing list:  bottom line is I don't trust you. I think you have made irresponsible decisions in the past, and I don't trust that you would handle sensitive security issues responsibly.  Happily there have been approximately zero cross-implementation security issues in the last six months, so it is more of a theoretical issue that you're not on the list....

RE: foundation phone call:  I personally agree that fundraising for a vaporware wallet is less newsworthy than a 9 million dollar reputable VC investment.

RE: libbitcoin: when there is significant software using it and it has been "battle tested" a bit I'd be happy to mention it. But last I heard even Intersango was not using it because it was too slow/immature.
legendary
November 01, 2013, 07:25:16 PM
We are providing an alternative. With 1% of the BF resources, we will do 10x more development and continue serving the community. Free market ftw.
legendary
November 01, 2013, 07:09:09 PM
Gavin can you explain this email from a journalist friend that he sent me:

"Just got a call from the bitcoin foundation. They wouldn't go on the record to comment on the article but just kept telling me "off the record" that you lot have no credibility and that a much better story is some venture capitalist yesterday investing $9m in bitcoin..."

and are you going to put me back on the security mailing list after you took me off. And you should stop telling people I'm not a Bitcoin developer. And also list libbitcoin on your blog post. Also you can stop ignoring my emails, and invite me into the protocol discussions. Thanks. The door is open, the choice is yours.

It's been 3+ years and I think the treatment from you, Mike, .et al has been downright cuntish at times.
legendary
Chief Scientist
November 01, 2013, 05:24:32 PM
50k won't go far if we pay salaries. we have to be smart with the money and invest in common permanent infrastructure. we should find better ways to pay for ongoing costs by creating sustainable businesses.

Exactly right, in my humble opinion.

I suspect you're going to have a hard time figuring out how to arrange yourselves without becoming a Corporation of some State and still have a business model that sustains sufficient quality assurance and customer support to make Dark Wallet a success.

PS: I'm really happy to see other implementations happening!  Diversity is great!

PPS: y'all should give the Foundation at least a LITTLE bit of credit for funding CoinPunk...
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
November 01, 2013, 04:50:54 PM
I wonder if this was a competition of Dark Wallet vs reference client's (insert controversial feature here), who would raise more funds.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106
November 01, 2013, 04:45:07 PM
https://darkwallet.unsystem.net/whydw.html

50k won't go far if we pay salaries. we have to be smart with the money and invest in common permanent infrastructure. we should find better ways to pay for ongoing costs by creating sustainable businesses.

genjix, your work rocks. thank you and the team for your vision. you bring street cred to bitcoin. congrats to fundraising success.

awesome style.

and the video... wow.

Activity: 103
Merit: 10
November 01, 2013, 01:14:10 PM
I'm shocked at how many donations were given overnight. Just yesterday they were only at about 1,000$
Now I see they received 20+ thousand dollars in donations! WTF!
Activity: 378
Merit: 325
hivewallet.com
November 01, 2013, 01:00:05 PM

Developers building a "browser plugin with coin mixing" could easily blow through $50K after many rounds of integration, design and testing. Perhaps the free software world is not accustomed such concepts, but anyone who does this for a living can surely attest that this is correct.

It may or may not be obvious that part of any experimental development process is exploration through prototyping. The end result may be significantly different than what is being suggested in the indiegogo project, but there is little doubt on this side that it will achieve the same result and more. If you don't concur or find the project's scope somehow disagreeable, don't donate.

Finally, let us clearly state that Hive is not on the receiving end of money from this project, nor are we officially affiliated with it. There have been some discussions about involvement, but that's as far as it has gone.
legendary
November 01, 2013, 12:39:52 PM
https://darkwallet.unsystem.net/whydw.html

legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
November 01, 2013, 12:09:50 PM
Dark Wallet needs $50k to finish its development and testing
Why do they need $50k for that? are they hiring a software firm? Are they using the money to compensate themselves for the work they put in?

Their "dark wallet" is a browser plugin, so it's probably connecting to a third party server. Unless the plugin directly connects to the bitcoin network, it's far less secure and anonymous than the satoshi client.

A quick skim of their indiegogo page shows more idealism and buzzwords than any actual planning. This is mirrored by the massive gap between what they want for bitcoin (anonymity, resistance to censorship, anti corporation/goverment), and what they've done (browser plugin wallet).

tl;dr: a group with more ideals than work wants money

More ideals than work? That's unfair. Amir and his team have borne quite a bit of impressive fruit over the years. Here is a small sampling of it:

libbitcoin: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30646.0;all
sx wallet: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/sx-wallet-command-line-wallet-experimental-291576
coinjoin: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3016952
what you have planned: browser plugin wallet with coin mixing.

What you have on your indegogo page:
If you use your imagination I'm sure you can see that these components not only lead credibility to the project, but paint a clear picture of where it actually begins. Still, the unfortunately reality is that software development takes time -- a lot of time. If the developer(s) in question are not independently wealthy and wish to focus on the work without distraction, that time costs money. $50K seems conservative to us for such an ambitious project.
In other words, you're using the indegogo/bitcoin funds to pay yourselves.
Activity: 378
Merit: 325
hivewallet.com
November 01, 2013, 10:37:30 AM
Why do they need $50k for that? are they hiring a software firm? Are they using the money to compensate themselves for the work they put in?

Their "dark wallet" is a browser plugin, so it's probably connecting to a third party server. Unless the plugin directly connects to the bitcoin network, it's far less secure and anonymous than the satoshi client.

A quick skim of their indiegogo page shows more idealism and buzzwords than any actual planning. This is mirrored by the massive gap between what they want for bitcoin (anonymity, resistance to censorship, anti corporation/goverment), and what they've done (browser plugin wallet).

More ideals than work? That's unfair. Amir and his team have borne quite a bit of impressive fruit over the years. Here is a small sampling of it:

libbitcoin: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30646.0;all
sx wallet: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/sx-wallet-command-line-wallet-experimental-291576
coinjoin: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3016952

If you use your imagination I'm sure you can see that these components not only lead credibility to the project, but paint a clear picture of where it actually begins. Still, the unfortunately reality is that software development takes time -- a lot of time. If the developer(s) in question are not independently wealthy and wish to focus on the work without distraction, that time costs money. $50K seems conservative to us for such an ambitious project.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
November 01, 2013, 09:31:50 AM

My thoughts exactly!
Pages:
Jump to: