Pages:
Author

Topic: Let There Be Dark! Bitcoin Dark Wallet - page 8. (Read 50217 times)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
November 04, 2013, 05:12:23 PM
Will this wallet include support for Mac OS 10.9?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002
Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx
November 04, 2013, 04:20:54 PM
Just a project to grab some coins together...thats it. Like he said above me, there is no significant plan and also not really a point. BUT, i will be the first who gives his excuse when it comes to a great project.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
November 04, 2013, 11:45:15 AM
I still feel that this project lacks a concrete plan. However, I strongly share similar views and have decided to support the project.
As everyone else has stated, please don't disappoint the community. Don't let this turn into another Bitcoinica.
A donation from The 4ner is coming your way.
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003
VIS ET LIBERTAS
November 04, 2013, 06:14:04 AM
We are providing an alternative. With 1% of the BF resources, we will do 10x more development and continue serving the community. Free market ftw.
Yes! You guys are extremely efficient ..
LOL, are you serious  Roll Eyes
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
November 04, 2013, 06:09:00 AM
Can someone explain to me what the fear is here? That he would disclose some information to the public?

Read his description of what happened with Bitcoinica that he linked to earlier in this thread. It doesn't seem like he realizes what a huge mistake he made with the security breach, and he doesn't seem to really own up to it. It's more like "oops, oh well.. moving on...". People who take security seriously tend to have a certain mindset (listen to some interviews with the guy who created Armory), and from what I've seen that mindset is lacking in Amir.

Btw, it looks like this is the thread where Amir notified everyone of the breach (or a similar one, hard to tell because I think Bitcoinica was hacked 3 times): https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoinica-mtgox-account-compromised-93074

It doesn't explain why someone with such a mindset you describe shouldn't be allowed on that list.
Activity: 187
Merit: 162
November 04, 2013, 06:06:38 AM
Can someone explain to me what the fear is here? That he would disclose some information to the public?

Read his description of what happened with Bitcoinica that he linked to earlier in this thread. It doesn't seem like he realizes what a huge mistake he made with the security breach, and he doesn't seem to really own up to it. It's more like "oops, oh well.. moving on...". People who take security seriously tend to have a certain mindset (listen to some interviews with the guy who created Armory), and from what I've seen that mindset is lacking in Amir.

Btw, it looks like this is the thread where Amir notified everyone of the breach (or a similar one, hard to tell because I think Bitcoinica was hacked 3 times): https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoinica-mtgox-account-compromised-93074
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003
VIS ET LIBERTAS
November 04, 2013, 05:09:52 AM
RE: bitcoin-security mailing list:  bottom line is I don't trust you. I think you have made irresponsible decisions in the past, and I don't trust that you would handle sensitive security issues responsibly.  Happily there have been approximately zero cross-implementation security issues in the last six months, so it is more of a theoretical issue that you're not on the list....
 I don't trust Amir Taaki either! We all know him as a shady guy, and I dont want to invest my money in vaporware.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
November 04, 2013, 04:40:26 AM
BIP 70 should be about trustless mixing instead of using certificates and trying to move away from Bitcoin.
The popularity of Dark Wallet and how well the donation go prove that!

@Bitcoin Foundation : WRONG PRIORITIES!

Activity: 815
November 04, 2013, 04:11:02 AM
BIP 70 should be about trustless mixing instead of using certificates and trying to move away from Bitcoin.
donator
November 04, 2013, 03:58:37 AM
RE: bitcoin-security mailing list:  bottom line is I don't trust you. I think you have made irresponsible decisions in the past, and I don't trust that you would handle sensitive security issues responsibly.  Happily there have been approximately zero cross-implementation security issues in the last six months, so it is more of a theoretical issue that you're not on the list....

donator
November 04, 2013, 03:51:30 AM
We are providing an alternative. With 1% of the BF resources, we will do 10x more development and continue serving the community. Free market ftw.

Yes! You guys are extremely efficient and I know you pay a high cost in your personal lives for it. I thank you for that. Donations are the least one can do to support you.

On the other hand you have to recognize that the goal of BF is not (only) development. So calling them inefficient might not be accurate.
donator
November 04, 2013, 03:47:47 AM
50k won't go far if we pay salaries. we have to be smart with the money and invest in common permanent infrastructure. we should find better ways to pay for ongoing costs by creating sustainable businesses.

Exactly right, in my humble opinion.

Me too. I run a small software company. I would consider offering this (coding, infrastructure setup and maintenance for a year, customer support for a year) for €200,000 high risk for my company.

I suspect you're going to have a hard time figuring out how to arrange yourselves without becoming a Corporation of some State and still have a business model that sustains sufficient quality assurance and customer support to make Dark Wallet a success.

PS: I'm really happy to see other implementations happening!  Diversity is great!

PPS: y'all should give the Foundation at least a LITTLE bit of credit for funding CoinPunk...

Firstly, I salute you and the others like Mike Hearn for reacting to this "attack" and the insults in such a calm way and maintaining communication.

I think Mike Gogulski insulting you guys is inappropriate and doesn't help anyones cause. If you know him, it seems a bit less harsh, though... he has this provocative troublemaker personality and he says what he thinks without much regard for anything. I actually like this about him, but I guess I would feel differently if I was the target.

In general, there seem to be very strong emotions involved among many individuals here. I know: lots of money was lost, people screwed up bigtime (not only the people visible) and behaved in inappropriate ways.

This is not surprising given that we're all human, there's money invovled and we're all up to something really, really huge together... truly a world-changer for a freer, more prosperous world. I think most can agree with this. Let's not fuck this up over our egos or money.

The extent to which dark wallet marketing attacks the bitcoin foundation might be just that: human emotions and marketing. Of course strong idealism cannot be denied and I think it's good (I share it to a large extent)

In the end, I don't think the "Bitcoin Divide" is so great. We all have very similar motivations and ideologies. Diversity is good, as Gavin thankfully recognizes (and probably most here).

Everyone here knows there's an approach to solving problems called "divide and conquer". It is also used in conflicts of any kind, tptb use it all over the place, and I think we should be very watchful of it being used against the Bitcoin movement.

My monetary support flows to the Dark Wallet Project, the Bitcoin Foundation, many other projects and also to that guy attempting to raise a bitcoin flag on the south pole.

These endeavours are all important to me and I fail to see how one can really harm the other as long as the protocol and blockchain are not harmed in the process.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.
November 03, 2013, 06:57:31 PM
some people worship profit: https://darkwallet.unsystem.net/bitcoinica.html
bitcoin attracts the worst types of lying sociopaths.

wow, thanks for writing this

Agreed, very interesting. Thank you Amir.

Roger, Zhou, Tihan, Peter are fully named in your story.

Nefario
Donald
Patrick
Gavin
Erik
Charlie

Are not. Care to help newbies understand the founding legends by adding their full name, please?

donator
November 03, 2013, 06:42:16 PM

wow, thanks for writing this
legendary
November 03, 2013, 11:17:49 AM
NSoogleA

That aggregation didn't really work.
Lol I know, but could not find something else!

But the idea behind and the question is real good...

America is out of controle!
Mike is a star on his own - he needs no Google light to shine, that's all...
Activity: 330
Merit: 252
NEIN, ICH BIN DER BITCOIN!
November 03, 2013, 11:12:15 AM
NSoogleA

But the idea behind and the question is real good...

America is out of controle!
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
November 03, 2013, 11:07:57 AM
legendary
November 03, 2013, 10:20:46 AM
NSoogleA

Activity: 153
Merit: 100
November 03, 2013, 10:18:24 AM
NSoogleA

legendary
November 03, 2013, 09:43:14 AM
Now, I don't mean to say that the two of you go around crushing kittens or such, but look:

- You two CONSTANTLY harp on Amir's fuckup with Bitcoinica. Amir DID fuck up there, bigtime.

Actually I think it's the first time I've ever mentioned it, and only because it came up in this thread - Amir was asking Gavin why he wasn't allowed on the security list and his prior treatment of sensitive data was quoted as a reason. Our community grew a lot since then, so some people aren't familiar with that incident.

Can you please point to examples of me or Gavin "constantly harping on" about it? I don't even like to bring it up, it's ancient history when measured in Bitcoin-time, but it's also a relevant answer to the question posed.

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
Being a majority protects people from assaults.

(...because that worked so well in Warsaw, Godwinbergheimgrad, etc.)

A more relevant analogy would be PayPal in the USA, which came under severe governmental assault and eventually survived because they managed to build up (via eBay) a large enough userbase that they became difficult to mess with, politically. Too many ordinary citizens were enjoying auctions on eBay and would have made a huge stink if something had happened to them.

I suggest reading this page, it's very interesting:

http://www.screw-paypal.com/history.html

PayPal actually started out as being very much in line with Bitcoin's vision. But they weren't able to sustain it in the centralised model and were nearly wiped out. Hopefully Bitcoin will do better, but the reason there's such a focus on regulatory issues in the USA is because the USA is an incredibly hostile environment in which to do business. Ultimately the only way to avoid shut down and jail there is a combination of finding ways to work within the rules and building up a large enough userbase, quickly enough, to give political cover.

I would be more impressed by Mike's position if he found a way to go back to the USA, then set up an ran an unlicensed, anonymous exchange for a decent length of time. He knows perfectly well that isn't possible though.
So why are you staying in US and work for the NSoogleA?
Seriously...
Pages:
Jump to: