Pages:
Author

Topic: Lets play a game of Chess - page 75. (Read 160665 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
September 19, 2015, 05:54:45 PM
Some of you guys also follow the World Chess Cup?

There are some very nice games already be played an there will also be a lot of nice games. I follow the games by Chessbomb.

I am watching it. OP is playing in it! We don't know who he is but he has provided a few clues

ow nice. And who do you think it is? OP still playing at the last 16?

Your guess is as good as mine. These are the clues I have seen so far

1. He is not Magnus Carlsen:
I am not Ed Trice.

3. He is not Bruzón Batista (impossible per #4)

It also looks like our esteemed opponent does not wish to confirm or deny that he is Bruzón Batista. I figured I was right.

I prefer not to confirm or deny every guess or I may reveal myself quickly.   However I can deny in this case since I already provided a clue that eliminated him as a possibility (based on current ratings):

4. Rated over 2700
OP, are you a GM, IM, ranked on 2700chess, etc?
Yes I am a GM and ranked on that list.

5. He won round 1 in Baku
Quote from: letsplayagame link=topic=1148538.msg12409552#msg12409552
Another small hint regarding my identity. I won my round 1 match in Baku:
[url
http://www.bakuworldcup2015.com/[/url]

I don't plan to announce my results from my round 2 match because that would significantly narrow down the number of people I could be.

We don't know how he did in round 2 or 3 but most (maybe all?) people rated over 2700 were paired down in round 2 implying he had a >50% chance of advancing past round 2.

6. He is not Viswanathan Anand because he decided not to play in Baku

7. He is not Gata Kampsky (upset in round 1) but his current rating is below 2700 anyway (impossible per #4). From the top of my head I am not aware of any more major upsets of people in round 1 or people over 2700 who did not show up (aside from Carlsen and Anand already mentioned).

8. He is not satoshi (we don't know if Satoshi is a chess player or not but it would be funny if letsplayagame and satoshi played each other and were unaware of each others identities):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3lj2t9/long_term_goal_promoting_bitcoin_usage_for/cv757pc
Activity: 770
Merit: 284
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
September 19, 2015, 03:36:30 PM
Some of you guys also follow the World Chess Cup?

There are some very nice games already be played an there will also be a lot of nice games. I follow the games by Chessbomb.

I am watching it. OP is playing in it! We don't know who he is but he has provided a few clues

ow nice. And who do you think it is? OP still playing at the last 16?
Activity: 308
September 19, 2015, 03:25:24 PM
COIP (chess over IP) doesn't work with money involved. it's impossible to prevent cheating.

I agree. It is an issue organizers are dealing with at major live tournaments:

http://www.chess.com/news/unprecedented-anti-cheating-measures-at-baku-world-cup-9609?page=4

Cheating online is extremely trivial and the incentive to do so would increase exponentially when btc is at stake
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053
Please do not PM me loan requests!
September 19, 2015, 01:26:21 PM
I vote 14. a5

Also, I recreated the vote chart in Powerpoint:

This is the current standing, not the final vote.
When I get back to my PC, I will go back to the old design.
Activity: 618
Merit: 500
a clockwork miner
September 19, 2015, 12:22:52 PM
My vote is for a5.
Let's force the Black to the only two allowed moves to save his Queen (as languagehasmeaning wrote: Qc6 or Qa7).

The threat on the f2 diagonal is a bit scaring, but I think we should have the time and the options to react when the alarm bell rings (i.e. Black moves the c-pawn).
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 2219
💲🏎️💨🚓
September 19, 2015, 11:11:53 AM
a4 takes b5 please.
Activity: 442
September 19, 2015, 10:51:17 AM
Great topic!!
Looks like a5 will be, but I would go with pawn to e4.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029
September 19, 2015, 10:02:19 AM
COIP (chess over IP) doesn't work with money involved. it's impossible to prevent cheating.
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Crypto.games
September 19, 2015, 09:58:37 AM
ah ok my bad, ill post my own thread with the chess board cakir had posted sorry for the inconvenience...

No worries. Feel free to stick around and join the existing game if you wish.

Yep, I was going to post the same thing. Why don't you join us if you like to play chess?
OP — the Anonymous Grand Master — said he hopes to see more members involved as the game goes on.  Wink

BTW, I'm a bit surprised that only 5 or 6 (edit: rather 7 or 8 ) of us, among the bct community, are playing this epic battle against a real chess GM.

My goal is to promote bitcoin among the chess community. Eventually I will reveal myself.  If you want to help attract more attention, follow me here:
https://twitter.com/ChessBTC

No need to draw any conclusions about who I am or am not following. I just selected "chess" as an interest and followed many of the recommended accounts. I registered with an IP address different from my home country.

hi.. if you want to promote btc to chess players around the world.
why dont you try to make a website that game board chess... but running by bitcoins as chips.
i think a lot of chess players will be interested on it. actually me my self looking for site like that.
and same for other chess players i know in my country. unfortunately still dont have it.
legendary
Activity: 4494
Merit: 3178
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
September 19, 2015, 08:55:40 AM
I say just Rf2
Don't you mean Rf1? That's not the best solution. I vote for e4. It defends f2 and provides an escape for the knight, and limits Black's central control. It can be followed by Be3 if necessary for added support on that diagonal.
legendary
September 19, 2015, 08:38:53 AM
difficult to find a good move to be honest. ...b4 is coming and looks unpleasant. the knight has nowhere good to go. manoeuvring the knight around to d4 seems like an option. eventually establishing a stronghold on e5 with either a pawn or a piece. how long until we have to decide?
legendary
Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163
Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos
September 19, 2015, 07:13:37 AM
Fun thread!

I vote a5 for our next move. Blacks position seems increasingly threatening but sometimes attack is the best defense, right? Smiley

Activity: 667
Merit: 500
September 19, 2015, 06:59:50 AM
White has a number of serious problems coming soon, I'm having a hard time thinking of where to start fixing the situstion. There's going to be threats based on the weakness of f2 caused by the white rook doing nothing where it is, as when black finally advances the c-pawn, there is potential discovery along that diagonal and the black 7th rank knight becomes alive.

I say just Rf2 and eat crow prophylactically, because we can't have black just improving position against the pivot of tactical threats all willy nilly.
Activity: 336
September 19, 2015, 04:31:54 AM
i vote a5.

how is consensus reached? do gavin and mike talk to various mining pools/exchanges?

I also like a5 now for 2 reasons:

1. I don't think trading on b5 or rooks afterwards on the a file will help us
2. If we wait a move by playing h3 for example (preparing Be3) then black can play Bc6. Then if we play a5 later black can respond with Qb7 which I think is a better square for the queen than c6 or a7 where he will have to move if we play a5 right away.

About consensus, hashing power is calculated with 1 vote per miner/player.  Strong chess players are not given ASICs type hashing advantages over beginners.

With 1 vote per player the power of persuasion (and showing up to the polls) is probably most important
legendary
September 19, 2015, 04:15:17 AM
i vote a5.

how is consensus reached? do gavin and mike talk to various mining pools/exchanges?
September 19, 2015, 01:13:08 AM
Time for a show of hands!

Rac1 - Foxpopup, jjacob,
a4 - languagehasmeaning, Taras, abacus
I never voted for Rac1. I said it was a possible alternative to my preferred a4. The votes are four for a4 (abacus, languagehasmeaning, Taras, and myself), one for d4 (Timelord2067), and one for Rac1 (jjacob).

Oops! My bad. I guess I am bad at keeping score.  Grin
Looks like a4 has the support it needs.

Your move bitcointalk. You have the white pieces

The current position is updated below:

1. Nf3     d5
2. c4      e6
3. g3      Nf6
4. Bg2    dxc4
5. Qa4+  Nbd7
6. Qxc4   c5
7. 0-0     a6
8. d3      b5
9. Qc2    Bb7
10.Nc3    Be7
11.Bf4     0-0
12.Rfd1   Qb6
13.a4      Rfd8

legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1026
★Nitrogensports.eu★
September 18, 2015, 11:52:39 PM

Rac1 - Foxpopup, jjacob,
I never voted for Rac1. I said it was a possible alternative to my preferred a4. The votes are four for a4 (abacus, languagehasmeaning, Taras, and myself), one for d4 (Timelord2067), and one for Rac1 (jjacob).

Oops! My bad. I guess I am bad at keeping score.  Grin
Looks like a4 has the support it needs.
legendary
Activity: 4494
Merit: 3178
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
September 18, 2015, 11:40:10 PM

Rac1 - Foxpopup, jjacob,
September 18, 2015, 10:21:01 PM
ah ok my bad, ill post my own thread with the chess board cakir had posted sorry for the inconvenience...

No worries. Feel free to stick around and join the existing game if you wish.

Yep, I was going to post the same thing. Why don't you join us if you like to play chess?
OP — the Anonymous Grand Master — said he hopes to see more members involved as the game goes on.  Wink

BTW, I'm a bit surprised that only 5 or 6 (edit: rather 7 or 8 ) of us, among the bct community, are playing this epic battle against a real chess GM.

My goal is to promote bitcoin among the chess community. Eventually I will reveal myself.  If you want to help attract more attention, follow me here:
https://twitter.com/ChessBTC

No need to draw any conclusions about who I am or am not following. I just selected "chess" as an interest and followed many of the recommended accounts. I registered with an IP address different from my home country.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1026
★Nitrogensports.eu★
September 18, 2015, 10:14:59 PM

Rac1 - Foxpopup, jjacob,
Pages:
Jump to: