Pages:
Author

Topic: Lightning Network Observer - page 40. (Read 13540 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 16328
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
July 15, 2021, 12:09:59 PM

a better metric to follow is the average capacity per channel

I guess you were looking for something like this:

https://bitcoinvisuals.com/ln-capacity-per-channel

So capacity has actually been pretty much stable during this last year.

But again, we don't know how many payments and liquidity flowed through those channels.
Activity: 154
Merit: 177
July 15, 2021, 12:03:48 PM

Network growth has been impressive so far.
this is beautiful - reminds me of the pictures comparing the internet in the beginning and how it looks now
legendary
July 15, 2021, 10:06:02 AM
Another tool for visualising Network Growth:

https://twitter.com/DocumentingBTC/status/1415660912804048896

Lightning Network 4 years ago
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
July 15, 2021, 05:47:38 AM
total capacity is meaningless, much like bitcoins market cap is meaningless
as it doesnt show actual utility

EG. i have no intent on spending anything for next 6 months. but i could. if i wanted to bloat up the total capacity by multiples of current total capacity. by just locking alot of my coin to LN and doing absolutely nothing with it

a better metric to follow is the average capacity per channel
because then you can see the potential liquidity amount of what payment routes could achieve
(EG the success rate of payments)
50% of network only has $200 liquidity per channel
(success rate is low for weekly rent/grocery payments but ok for coffee and gum)

in short
it doesnt matter if the network say its has 1 million bitcoin.... because payments are only a regular success for chewing cum amounts
legendary
July 14, 2021, 07:45:24 PM
Coindesk reports on LN growth:

Nodes on Bitcoin’s Lightning Network Double in 3 Months

The Lightning Network recorded its quickest 100 bitcoin (BTC, +0.47%) capacity growth ever at only five days. This month alone, the network capacity has increased 20% to 1,821.29 BTC locked in across more than 56,000 channels.

legendary
July 08, 2021, 12:27:02 PM
Also I invite people who want to discover the Bitcoin Lightning network to my topic. I am not an expert about it but you can find some topics, articles there.

Absolutely.
My intention on this thread is not to provide a technical reference, or a reference directory. Rather I would like this to become a nontechnical, casual talk thread where to discuss LN and his development.

I am adding your thread, together with some other, in the OP.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 4085
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
July 08, 2021, 12:14:17 PM
You can get some more data from
Also I invite people who want to discover the Bitcoin Lightning network to my topic. I am not an expert about it but you can find some topics, articles there.
legendary
July 08, 2021, 07:15:05 AM
I have recently stumbled in a few tweets regarding the Lightning Network.

I am always been a LN fan, and I have a long history of reporting on various metrics, and I would like to start again.

First, an overview of the network so far:

The brown has been exponential, considering also that BTC has increased in value.

Looking at the LN capacity we see that much of the grow has been registered on the last few weeks. Growth has gone parabolic:

If we look at the following graph we have a detail on the balances added during the last months:

Of course, adding 250 BTC of capacity when BTC is at 30k is totally a different story than adding 300 BTC capacity when BTCUSD trades at 8,000 as in March 2019.

So, pretty a neat increase in capacity. Just wondering if the real usage of such capacity is gaining traction. I guess the “low” fees in the main chain are not pushing adoption, but it’s important to invest in this invisible assets.

I will try do add news, reports and commentaries about LN to this thread as soon as they are available or worth mentioning.
Glad if you help!

Resources on Lighting Network:

Bitcointalks Threads:

Dashboards:

External Resources:
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org