Pages:
Author

Topic: Looking for someone to create/modify software for this forum [5500+ BTC] - page 3. (Read 165567 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....
You guys been talking about this on your site for quite some time now and it finally happened. Using old, out dated software and that's "free" should be  a NO to begin with with, All the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars this place to update the software and never did only shows your procrastination and your youth and some greed in there. When BTC was rising over into thw 200+ ranges I bet a software change would never have been though of then. Now that some information has been compromised, it really is in your best interest to get this updated. When I see this place is still running SMF 1.1 and the chauffeurs are full of money just make me think of greed.

Amd if you don't come out with something custom and secure, then another group will just do it better and make it more secure. This was bound to happen and talking about it  for a few months just wasn't the best approach . I use to read those posts months and months back on how you should make the forum better and all I heard was who can hold onto the funds securely since BTC is rising. Immature mistake kids would make.

Good luck, but I'll never post private info on here and personal information and pretty much take most content at a grain of salt.
riX
Activity: 326
Merit: 252
Maybe now is a good time to make this a priority...
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
1. open source
2. bounty system
3. votes for features among trusted bitcointalk's users
4. votes for winners for one or another features

votes - bad.

Scenario:

One feature discussed, and voted like a TOP, most wanted, developers gathered around, source of forum is open, every who interesting, open their demo.

Period of time for votes.

Sold! Hammer's bump.

Feature is appear. One of developers get bounty.

All of features may stay in some queue and voting in parallel at the same time.
Thereafter this will become in to great building yard. And source of "bitcointalk's forum framework" risky to become a greatest one in the Internet history.

votes - bad.

Anyway, this thread become in to swamp. Seems like we never see new forum. (:
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
I'm not here for the 5500 BTC, but I would like you to see http://dbtng.com/faq and our try for building the better forum for Bitcoin talk.

Key points:
1) Users gain trust by using the forum and behaving - helps in administration
2) One-page infinite scrolling
3) Quick and efficient
4) Modern, very much a work in progress (see http://github.com/discourse/discourse)
5) Safe and secure (see http://github.com/discourse/discourse)
6) Great UX, simple UI

Register and try for yourselves. All development ideas are welcome in General category.

Cheers

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
One of our teams is working right now to try and fulfill this bounty, assuming it's still up for grabs.

The project can be seen here (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/pre-releaseforum-software-olympus-discussion-bounty-entree-276512), where any suggestions or feedback are more than welcome.

Thank you,
Syphor Software
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
Can you seriously not have found someone capable of this by now?  It's been months.

I could do this in my sleep (as a matter of fact I do).   

What may I ask, what is the big problem?Huh Why hasn't this contract began yet?

I'm not ecstatic about any of the bids, and I'm not in a hurry.

That's obvious as this post was made more than 18 months ago and the original is from 2011 and we have seen no major changes to the forum in these two years.  Rather than wait another two years, if anyone here is serious about building a new forum please come join us here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/seeking-a-team-to-develop-bitcointalk-20-forums-apply-within-244678
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Looks like Theymos picked himself up quite a bit of pocket change here.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

There is no will at all to improve the current platform, the admin showed that refusing any serious offer.

Thats true, theymos is paranoid about security,he doesn't even wants to test forum software that are available now nor he wants to reply pm's about this job.

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007
well, you are wrong. I also know javascript very well, a bit of ruby and python. the point is, make something that everyone can contribute. Not to mention, that theymos want to modify the software also, himself, and he is confortable with php, java, etc, so PHP would be a good fit. Besides, this won't be a complex app dude, is just a forum! no need for admin clicky clicky interface.

My proposal for the app, is to make something cool, that will help the community, not to start comp languages flame wars. Are you willing to contribute?

I'm 100% with you. Through my years of learning... I've come up with one thing that's proven pretty steady: most languages are going to have similar results if you know how to use them properly. People often put down one language as being "worse" because they don't understand the proper usage of it and so for them it is worse.

I hate the JS vs PHP vs (insert whatever you want here) debates. Use what you know and you're going to do a much better job.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
How is the most pathetic thread of the whole forum going?
Hey! Hello troll! Welcome! Grin
Did you read the whole thread before calling me troll? Because I did.
There is no will at all to improve the current platform, the admin showed that refusing any serious offer.
hi,

apologize for calling you a troll. Honestly, i had read the first pages, than i jumped to the last, since the thread was open and the job wasn't done, i assumed that it was some financial problem going on there, so i decided to throw the open source idea in the pot, since this forum is used by all of us, and it is not a subscription forum, anyone can use it.

I have to agree now, the thread must be closed, I could read that the admin doesn't want any more changes, for now.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Did you read the whole thread before calling me troll? Because I did.
legendary
Activity: 1498
I vote for an open source software on github, but with node.js...really fast...I'm willing to contribute for free

node.js wouldn't be able to handle all this traffic, as well as node.js isn't a good programming tool. Plus theymos wants it in php.

I don't know about node.js, but javascript in general is a really fast JIT language. Far faster than PHP, for certain.

nodejs uses V8 so I think that makes it probably just as fast. For this forum it wouldn't make sense cause you have one server and you can get better performance in php from tweaking the server and php.ini. Nodejs just uses a basic server instance, so you have no chance, of trying to make it work. Plus nodejs really excels when you have multiple servers all on one database, and I think that is what theymos is trying to stay away from.
I vote for an open source software on github, but with node.js...really fast...I'm willing to contribute for free

node.js wouldn't be able to handle all this traffic, as well as node.js isn't a good programming tool. Plus theymos wants it in php.

I don't know about node.js, but javascript in general is a really fast JIT language. Far faster than PHP, for certain.

hi dree12,
indeed node.js is much faster than php. not because js is faster, but because of the new VM google created, v8, which is really fast. node uses v8 under the hood, plus it uses async native capabilities of javascript. What it does, is event driven programming, there's only 1 thread.

I just didn't want to answer to gweedo, cause in the end of the day, i think php is a best fit, not only because theymos  is confortable with the language, but also because it's a language (programming style, not async) that is more well known, so more people can contribute.

I say "javascript in general" because just about every modern tool that runs JS has a lightning-fast JIT. TraceMonkey, Chakra, and Carakan are all as fast as V8.

I do most of my programming in JS nowadays not because I like prototyping or asynchronous event models, but because it's so fast.

This code:
Code:
            "use strict";
            var now = Date.now();
            for (let i = 0; i < 10000000; i++) {
                let k = Math.sin(i);
            }
            console.log((Date.now()-now)/1000);
executed in 4.9 s (TraceMonkey) on my ages-old computer. The equivalent Python code takes 6.6 seconds (using int instead of float, so it should actually be slower), and the equivalent Java code 7.3 seconds (using double instead of int).
anyway, I would still stick with PHP. php-fpm + nginx should do the  job, perhaps Varnish in front of...
From what I've seen, people who say "I would stick with PHP" after proven wrong (about speed) tend to not know any other languages.  Cheesy

Correct me if I'm wrong.
well, you are wrong. I also know javascript very well, a bit of ruby and python. the point is, make something that everyone can contribute. Not to mention, that theymos want to modify the software also, himself, and he is confortable with php, java, etc, so PHP would be a good fit. Besides, this won't be a complex app dude, is just a forum! no need for admin clicky clicky interface.

My proposal for the app, is to make something cool, that will help the community, not to start comp languages flame wars. Are you willing to contribute?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
legendary
Activity: 1498

Activity: 854

hi dree12,
indeed node.js is much faster than php. not because js is faster, but because of the new VM google created, v8, which is really fast. node uses v8 under the hood, plus it uses async native capabilities of javascript. What it does, is event driven programming, there's only 1 thread.

I just didn't want to answer to gweedo, cause in the end of the day, i think php is a best fit, not only because theymos  is confortable with the language, but also because it's a language (programming style, not async) that is more well known, so more people can contribute.

I say "javascript in general" because just about every modern tool that runs JS has a lightning-fast JIT. TraceMonkey, Chakra, and Carakan are all as fast as V8.

I do most of my programming in JS nowadays not because I like prototyping or asynchronous event models, but because it's so fast.

This code:
Code:
            "use strict";
            var now = Date.now();
                let k = Math.sin(i);
            }
executed in 4.9 s (TraceMonkey) on my ages-old computer. The equivalent Python code takes 6.6 seconds (using int instead of float, so it should actually be slower), and the equivalent Java code 7.3 seconds (using double instead of int).
anyway, I would still stick with PHP. php-fpm + nginx should do the  job, perhaps Varnish in front of...
From what I've seen, people who say "I would stick with PHP" after proven wrong (about speed) tend to not know any other languages.  Cheesy

Correct me if I'm wrong.

hi dree12,

This code:
Code:
            "use strict";
            var now = Date.now();
                let k = Math.sin(i);
            }
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076

hi dree12,

This code:
Code:
            "use strict";
            var now = Date.now();
                let k = Math.sin(i);
            }

hi dree12,

Pages:
Jump to: