Pages:
Author

Topic: Looking for someone to create/modify software for this forum [5500+ BTC] - page 7. (Read 165567 times)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10
You could try mybb, its opensource, themeable, customizeable, has alot of the features your looking for.
http://www.mybb.com/features
https://github.com/mybb/mybb
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

Wow, I'm really digging this one.  I didn't like it at first because there were no categories (not like the ones we have here), but it's actually a lot more streamlined and simplified.

Not to mention, I spend most of my time here staring at the bottom of the site to see who's posting what anyway Tongue

Big +1 for this one!
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
How about I just make one, and if you like it, I sell it too you?

Seems about the easiest way to do this.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
Hell, we have enough money that we could hire their whole freaking team full-time for at least a few months.

Now you just need to convince theymos to spend it on something which doesn't have the features he wants and we'll be all set Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Hell, we have enough money that we could hire their whole freaking team full-time for at least a few months.
That would probably be of great benefit to both projects.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
Their are looking for beta communities, they will worry about everything for 2 years... This board might be a perfect candidate...

While bitcoin may be in beta, this community is not.   Too much real world business goes through here to be any kind of a testing ground for new forum software.
And business people hate us for that. Most of them stay as far away from here as they can and only post when they have to. I think that it'd be an improvement to switch to Discourse, especially if we're asked. Hell, we have enough money that we could hire their whole freaking team full-time for at least a few months.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Their are looking for beta communities, they will worry about everything for 2 years... This board might be a perfect candidate...

While bitcoin may be in beta, this community is not.   Too much real world business goes through here to be any kind of a testing ground for new forum software.
Good point, but its anyway hard to do worse than a 10 years old script Smiley
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Activity: 700
Merit: 500

+1
Just tried their demo and it looks really awesome. Would love to see the bitcointalk community on a discourse forum.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Ron Gross

I was wondering when someone will offer this one.
A huge +1 from me, Jeff Atwood is great and while I haven't tested Discourse myself I'm sure it rocks.
I wonder if it can work with a site in this scale ... worth getting in touch with them and finding out.
Activity: 720
Merit: 525
Activity: 140
Troll of the Fourth Reich.
Yes they could

My bid is 2000BTC. The first payment would be 25% and again this is only after I have provided a working product.

Shocked

At this point they could buy an IPB license, with more features than you could ever program, for 5btc.  And then spend maybe 100btc more to customize it.  They just don't want to do anything.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
My bid is 2000BTC. The first payment would be 25% and again this is only after I have provided a working product.

Shocked

At this point they could buy an IPB license, with more features than you could ever program, for 5btc.  And then spend maybe 100btc more to customize it.  They just don't want to do anything.
Activity: 140
Troll of the Fourth Reich.
For 35 btc Ill add a chatbox/shoutbox, And a box saying the current btc price and statistics.  Also I will change the forum engine to a more secure engine.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
bitcoin hundred-aire
16 months and no progress.  I wonder why this forum is still trying to do things this way when it clearly doesn't work.
Activity: 742
Not going to suggest another forum board software (some people can't get the hint it seems), but i would like to recommend a company. I've freelanced with these guys and worked with them in other capacities (they did the website for both the hospital i worked at and one of the charities i volunteer for). Very technical and creative, easy to talk to, huge on anything involving online commerce, and extremely hard working. they handle enterprise level projects all the time. Give them a shout.

http://bigeyecreative.com/
Activity: 574
It doesn't look like anyone has made a solid commitment to delivering what you want
There are private bids, too...
Activity: 168
Why not just use a heavily modified version of vbulletin? It has a solid foundation and is easily modifiable and can be greatly expanded upon by someone who knows what they're doing. Hasn't like $70,000 been donated or something? You could use a fraction of that and have a fantastic piece of forum software produced...Hell even this software could function if someone worked to optimize it. Your requirements don't really even correlate to what you need done.

I have a lot of experience with forums/vbulletin/other software and modifying it for specific purposes. I have even more experience and connections for creating small groups of developers to accomplish goals like this. Give me a vbulletin license and funds to assemble a team and pay them as the project hits benchmarks and I would take this on. It wouldn't cost you nearly the amount you're bidding in the thread title by the end and you'd not only get what you want but insure completion by offering benchmark based payments for incentive/allowing you/us to modify the expected work/payment at any given time based on needs/desires.

Anyway if you're interested shoot me a PM and we can discuss some details and I will contact my men to start work on a feature list and production/payment schedule.

I assure you there is no reason or need for you to spend 10s of thousands of dollars on creating a ground up forum software for a community of this size and with the needs you list. Much much larger and demanding communities are run off of heavily modified vbulletin software.

It doesn't look like anyone has made a solid commitment to delivering what you want and I am 100% confident that I can, along with assistance from my team, fulfill any desires you have regarding functionality, ease of modifying, and features.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
As it has now been several months since this was posted and nobody had made a successful bid, I believe now is as good a time as any to take a new approach.

I feel this project would be better suited to an open source collaborative model of development instead of a winner takes all bidding war.

I have registered bitcointalk as an organization on github and will build a basic framework for a forum.

From there features that theymos and users want can be added.

The first step of this process is of course coming up with a core framework, but to do this will require some organization of the features people want that would be well... core.

Toward this end I have started to organize information necessary to build the core.

I would appreciate feedback from both developers and users. (Please post feedback here).

http://178.33.22.45/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://178.33.22.45/mediawiki/index.php/Database

(note that the wiki is not editable at this time)
Pages:
Jump to: