Pages:
Author

Topic: LoyceV's Bitcoin Fork claiming guide (and service) - page 2. (Read 29690 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Trezor also delisted BSV. They say it was causing potential security risk.
Ledger claims they support BSV, but when you search their list of supported coins, then no BSV there. Probably also delisted.
They're right: don't trust them Smiley
Activity: 42
Merit: 66
Trezor also delisted BSV. They say it was causing potential security risk.
Ledger claims they support BSV, but when you search their list of supported coins, then no BSV there. Probably also delisted.
legendary
And I discovered an interesting fact: cheap forks (but still sellable) may sometimes show very strong growth for a short time. For example, some old cheap forks were showing enorm growth in May last year though for a very short time, then they returned to their ordinary supercheap price.
Pump and dump happens to many low-value coins. As always, it's meant to make the people behind the pump richer.

It would be perfect to get all forks, every single claimable fork. And hold them in a hardware wallet, may be just for such situation.
Most Forkcoins aren't supported by hardware wallets. They're simply not worth it. You could keep them on a simple legacy Bitcoin paper wallet, and installl whatever (shitty) software wallet they use (at the risk of installing malware). But there's another problem: many of them aren't traded on decent exchanges. And some of them look as if they have a high value on CoinMarketCap.com, but the trading volume is close to zero. So you can't sell them, because nobody is buying them.

Unfortunately, it is probably not very real to have such huge work done (claim every single fork). If I understand things correct, some forks are much more difficult to claim than others.
That's why I only claim 5 Forkcoins now. Even if you owned a substantial number of Bitcoins, the other Forks aren't worth the effort/time/troubles.

And I checked also many hardware wallets, and discovered that they support just few forks. Some of them support 2 forks, some 5 forks...like this.
I didn't find even a software wallet which would support all forks. Not coinomi, not guarda....
There are tens of thousands of altcoins and about a hundred known Bitcoin Forks. Anyone can create their own Fork, it's impossible for any wallet to support them all.
Coinomi delisted BSV (because it's crap).
I tried to check all forks that it was possible to claim.
And I discovered an interesting fact: cheap forks (but still sellable) may sometimes show very strong growth for a short time. For example, some old cheap forks were showing enorm growth in May last year though for a very short time, then they returned to their ordinary supercheap price.
It would be perfect to get all forks, every single claimable fork. And hold them in a hardware wallet, may be just for such situation.
Unfortunately, it is probably not very real to have such huge work done (claim every single fork). If I understand things correct, some forks are much more difficult to claim than others.
And I checked also many hardware wallets, and discovered that they support just few forks. Some of them support 2 forks, some 5 forks...like this.
I didn't find even a software wallet which would support all forks. Not coinomi, not guarda....
legendary
If you keep altcoins in hardware wallet, how dependent you are from the model of hardware wallet?
To stay on-topic, I'll answer this for Forkcoins (but it applies to altcoins too). You can use your seed words to restore all private keys. The easiest way to do it is using Ian Coleman's Mnemonic Code Converter. DO NOT use this online! You should use it offline, air-gapped, on a system without storage space that runs from a Live Linux DVD with the curtains closed. Even then, you should probably consider your seed words compromised, just in case.

Btw, I also wonder how it works technically, when the same seed "remembers" and "keeps" many altcoins while every altcoin has its own blockchain? Every altcoin then should have its own seed. But somehow all of them are stored in the wallet with only 1 seed. How? :-)
The key word is Derivation Paths, which convert your seed words into private keys. You don't need a blockchain to do this.
If you keep altcoins in hardware wallet, how dependent you are from the model of hardware wallet?

Say your hardware wallet got broken and you need to get and set up a new one.

Do I understand correct that there are 2 options:

Option 1. You choose a new hardware wallet which supports all of your altcoins.
After setting it up with the old seed and old passphrase all altcoins will be available to use.
Option 2. You choose a hardware wallet that doesn't support some of your altcoins.
After setting it up with old seed and old passphrase it will not show non-supported altcoins and they will not be available to use.
However, you will not loose them and they will not disappear as your assets, you can get them available later if you transfer your seed (say after several years) to a wallet which support those altcoins.

Is that correct?

Is it correct that other options don't exist when switching between hardware wallets by  using seed/passphrase?

Btw, I also wonder how it works technically, when the same seed "remembers" and "keeps" many altcoins while every altcoin has its own blockchain? Every altcoin then should have its own seed. But somehow all of them are stored in the wallet with only 1 seed. How? :-)
legendary
How do you determine which forks are worth to claim and which ones are worthless?
I look at the value and how difficult it is to claim. That leaves those 5 Forks, but obviously it depends on how many coins you owned.

But the ones that have zero or next to zero rate, they may probably raise in their value in future, can't they?
Some of them may get a temporary pump, but I doubt they'll have long-term value. Either way, just keep your private keys in case it's worth it at some point.

How many btc forks (number)  you think are worth to claim

and how many you think aren't?
There's no point counting Tongue
LoyceV,

Could you please tell,
How do you determine which forks are worth to claim and which ones are worthless?
Well, everything is clear with the ones which have good exchange rate at the moment of claiming, they are definitely worth to claim. But the ones that have zero or next to zero rate, they may probably raise in their value in future, can't they?
How many btc forks (number)  you think are worth to claim, and how many you think aren't?
LoyceV,

I posted a topic about forks in another category (it fits also another category though it is about forks too).
Later I found this topic and realized that my post may be fits here better but as duplicate posts are not allowed on this forum, could you please have a look:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/if-btc-are-in-hardware-wallet-then-how-to-claim-forks-5415608
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2177
Crypto Swap Exchange
@dragonvslinux: it dropped quite a lot, but you'll need to multiply the BCD value by 10.

Ah yes my bad, I thought you were going by May 2021 prices when BCD it was around $2 rather than 2022. I misread the date on the quote  Undecided

Nice guide anyway.
legendary
@dragonvslinux: it dropped quite a lot, but you'll need to multiply the BCD value by 10.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2177
Crypto Swap Exchange
Bump: Fork Claiming Service available!

At current prices, per Bitcoin you owned when the Forks were created, you're looking at about:
$214 $117 BCH
$53 BSV
$45 eCash (XEC)
$19 BTG
$2 $0.17 BCD

Contact me for my Fork Claiming Services Smiley
Bump!
Bump!
Bump!
Bump  Smiley

legendary
I guess you already figured it out, but no, you can't do that. Any Fork with some value has replay protection against Bitcoin, so the Forkcoins don't move when the Bitcoin moves.
legendary
I've added this to my toolbox for my Fork Claiming Service: a space laptop with 2 Linux distributions installed in dual boot. The first is to work on, the second doesn't have internet and now has 5 partition images:
1. A fresh installation with VPN
2. A fresh installation with VPN and BCH full client, synced up to 2010, and set to prune. And BCH's Electrum Fork.
3. A fresh installation with VPN and BTG full client, synced up to 2010, and set to prune. And BTG's Electrum Fork (using wine).
4. A fresh installation with VPN and BCD full client, synced up to 2010, and set to prune. And BCD's Electrum Fork.
5. A fresh installation with VPN and eCash full client, synced up to 2010, and set to prune. And eCash'es Electrum Fork.
The laptop doesn't have enough disk space to keep all full clients.

This setup makes it much easier to handle Forkcoins: I restore the partition I need, boot into it, import the address/pubkey, and let it sync. When done, I take it offline, enter the private key, and create a raw transaction to transfer funds. After that, I boot into the second Linux distribution to overwrite the first partition. This makes offline signing relatively easy without ever risking the private key to untrusted software.
legendary
I haven't figured out yet how to do this with BSV.
I have the answer Cheesy
BSV's lack of replay protection was once again the solution to my problem Cheesy
This is how I recovered BSV that was sent to pubkey (many years ago):
  • First, move BCH and eCash to a new address
  • Install a fresh spare laptop (with VPN of course)
  • Download the full BCH client (the one Forked from Bitcoin Core) (note: I do not trust this software, but used CoinMarketCap.com to find the "official" website)
  • Import the pubkey, let it synchronize the first few years (until the coins show up, but before they are sent out (after all, you should have moved your BCH out of this address already))
  • Take it offline
  • Import the private key
  • Create a raw transaction to a new address (this transaction won't be valid on the BCH chain, but will work on the BSV chain). Just in case, I used a legacy address
  • Copy the transaction to a USB stick
  • Check it (I used BCH's Electrum Fork for this, in a VM), and broadcast it online on the BSV network
  • Use another device to broadcast the transaction on the BSV network. I used https://whatsonchain.com/broadcast (on Tor)
  • Wipe the laptop (don't let it go online again after you entered the private key!)
legendary
I learned something new in the past week: back in the early days of Bitcoin, coins were sent to pubkeys instead of addresses. This makes it impossible to sign offline using an SPV wallet.

After some fiddling, and after dusting the addresses to enforce replay protection, this procedure worked to extract BCH, eCash, BTG and BCD that was sent to pubkey:
  • Install a fresh spare laptop (with VPN of course)
  • Download the full client (the one Forked from Bitcoin Core) (note: I do not trust this software, but used CoinMarketCap.com to find the "official" website)
  • Import the pubkey, let it synchronize
  • Take it offline
  • Import the private key
  • Create a raw transaction to a new address (on the correct chain!)
  • Copy the transaction to a USB stick
  • Broadcast the transaction from another device
  • Wipe the laptop (don't let it go online again after you entered the private key!)
I haven't figured out yet how to do this with BSV. Talking about this shitcoin: Coinomi is delisting is on May 1! If you have any funds left there, get rid of it Tongue

Instructions for my Fork claiming service.
Note that the prices at the start of this topic is very outdated.

First, there's this:
General note: never give your private key or word seed phrase to anybody! If you're not the sole owner of your private keys, you're not the owner at all!
If you want me to claim your forked coins for you, you're going to have to give me your private key(s). Now, read the sentence above this again. Are you confused yet? That was intentional to make you realize what you're about to do!

I can't claim all Forks, only the ones that are worth it. I can extract these Forks:
BCH: $480
BSV: $180
BCH-A now called eCash: $14
BTG: $25
BCD: $9
Those values are current estimates per Bitcoin (or Forkcoin for Forks of Forks) you owned when the Fork was created.

I can claim your Forkcoins for you, but for that, I'm going to need your private keys. Before sending them, make sure your Bitcoin is moved to another wallet, and confirmed (don't risk your Bitcoin for Forkcoins). After sending your private keys, you should consider them compromised and never use the same wallet again (but keep a backup anyway).
I charge 10% for doing this (negotiable for large amounts: make me an offer). It's probably not worth my time to do this for very small amounts.

Don't send private keys from a standard email that doesn't encrypt messages.
The easiest way to send private keys (or seed words, depending on your wallet) is if you create a Protonmail account. My email:
Code:
This way, the email has end-to-end encryption and should be secure. There's of course always the risk of your (or my) computer being compromised.
Alternatively, you can send half of each private key to my Protonmail email, and the other half by Bitcointalk PM. This way the parts don't end up on the same email account.

If you can't get the private keys, I'm going to need your wallet.dat. In that case I suggest setting a new password, emailing the wallet, then sending the password by PM. Please discuss possible other wallet formats before sending files.

Together with your private keys, please send addresses where you want your Forkcoins to be send to.
BCH, BTG and BCD can be traded (without KYC up to 2 Bitcoin per day, but DYOR) on Binance. I haven't found a trusted site for BSV and BCH-A yet. You're free to try an instance exchange at BestChange.com for BSV (but at your own risk if they disappear with your money).
Note that some sites mix up the names for BCH (higher value at the moment) and BCH-A (lower value). Be careful to use the correct chain!
For BCH-A, I have no idea, where to securely exchange them.
Since the value isn't that high, you can store BSV on for instance Coinomi on Android and create a legacy paper wallet from bitaddress.org where you store the BCH-A. Just write "BCH-A Shitfork" on it in case it ever gains any value (unlikely).

If you send me different deposit addresses for each Forkcoin, make sure you have the right chain! If you have them send to the wrong chain at an exchange, your coins are most likely lost.
Activity: 1708
Merit: 185
This is what I'm being told by someone else.  

They said I download electrum SV and just enter my electrum seed and that is it.  

They also said,

A coin having no replay protection is only an issue if you've sent a transaction to another wallet which can be re-used to another blockchain without replay protection.
So, if you'll just send the balance to your own wallet, there's little to no issue.

Plus since BitcoinSV doesn't have replay protection, the transaction you already did in Bitcoin Cash chain can be reused to BitcoinSV chain as a form of attack.
If someone broadcast it to BSV chain and the output address isn't yours, that'll be an issue, that's why the replies in the first page of your thread suggest to claim BSV first.

Sweeping isn't needed if you'll restore the whole wallet from seed;
Sweeping is involved if you want to directly send the balance of the address derived from the private key to the wallet where you initiated the sweep.
Restoring the seed will restore the whole wallet just like restoring it to your Electrum.

My concern is after I download electrum sv on my separate windows pc... then enter my electrum seed in it, then it would ask me to sweep or do something and then I would be stuck not knowing what to do and then I'm stuck.  There really isn't any instructions or video on this?  The only reason I want to claim the forks now is I just want to claim them and be done with them.  Thus just claim it and send it to exchange and sell it etc.  I don't mind storing it in a wallet as long as its safe.
Why would it ask you to sweep or something? Have you restored your seed to Electrum or Electron before?
It's basically the same as what you did when you claimed your Bitcoin Cash.

legendary
If you claimed BCH from electroncash, then moved it to a hardware wallet.  But you did this after the bitcoin SV fork date.
As I wrote in your other topic:
Where should I begin?
Find which addresses hold coins, get some Fork dust on BCH/BSV/BCH-A to enforce replay protection, move your funds, shred the drive
BSV "Electrum" clone is weird, I prefer Coinomi. And I definitely don't trust the software.
If you claimed BCH from electroncash, then moved it to a hardware wallet.  But you did this after the bitcoin SV fork date.

Do you need to do anything at the moment with your BCH assuming its in a hardware wallet?

I no longer have electrum/electroncash installed on my pc anymore.  But would these need to be installed before I download electrum sv to it?  I keep hearing mention of replay protection but needing to sweep the BCH address etc.
What stopped me from claiming these coins?  Well when these forks happened in the beginning, all I heard was people getting scammed because I downloaded fake wallets etc.  I didn't even do the bitcoin cash fork until much later etc.  That was the only fork that seemed simple, download electroncash and input your electrum seed phrase and your bitcoin cash was there.  Then you send it to another wallet.

Well assuming you moved any btc from your main wallet, then claiming all these coins is still risky doing it on VM or new computer?  My thought would be once you claim one coin, you send that coin to a wallet or exchange and then download the next wallet etc.  So if you download a fake wallet or malware, well any coin you claimed previously would have been sent to another address already?

But as of now, how many total bitcoin forks can you actually claim?  I know you mentioned BCH, BSV, BTG and Bitcoin diamond and private as the most important ones and those are the ones you would claim.  But there seem to be lots of other coins as well.  The big issue besides claiming it... would be could you even sell it to an exchange?  Because I figure anyone that would claim all these forked coins, you claim it, send to exchange and sell it for btc or usdt and not deal with it anymore.
Pages:
Jump to: