Pages:
Author

Topic: Membergroups; or: Why do some users get colored coins under their names? - page 14. (Read 22992 times)

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
Well I am him... Give me a cookie Tongue
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
p.s. write in the first post what theymos said Wink
Thanks for the suggestion; I've added a few notes relating to that to the first post.

So you may be wondering whether you should trust someone based on those fancy coins under their name, or perhaps their post count. The short answer is: Do not use these rankings to determine trust!
This post is intended to show you as a future trader how easy it is to get a rank, so that you can be wiser when conducting a trade. As a side note, I always recommend using escrow when possible, especially when you have not previously traded with someone. Always read their posts in their profile to help determine whether they are contributing positively and to attempt to determine trust. Search the forums for more detail and read the other stickies relating to trading discussions and trust.

Basically, escrow means that you agree with your trading partner who to deposit coins with for safe keeping. Once you have decided on an existing known user that has provided such services in the past, negotiate with him for rates (some do it for free), and then the buyer deposits the coins with the escrow provider. Once he has confirmed the deposit, he will notify the seller to ship the item. Once the item arrives and is to your satisfaction, notify the escrow provider and he will release the coins (minus a fee, if any) to the seller.
rjk
1ngldh
Very nice job, rjk!

Do you also work on the bitcoin.it wiki?
No. The last time I posted to the wiki, I got into a few edit wars with Luke-Jr and decided it wasn't worth wasting my time.

I only occasionally visit this section when I am bored, otherwise it remains blocked in my preferences.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Very nice job, rjk!

Do you also work on the bitcoin.it wiki?
rjk
1ngldh
OP edited to add the following information:

In addition to the colors, Donators and VIPs get other perks:
They have access to a secret subforum dedicated to them, and they can change their usernames whenever they want from within their profiles.
Activity: 209
Merit: 100
Right now I have more gold coins than BTC!
donator
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010
Parental Advisory Explicit Content
Nice job  Cheesy

Handy feature for Newbies.

Greetz
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
nicely set out rjk
good work Smiley
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
i was wondering why some people had different number/color of coin under the nick.. thanks for the info.

p.s. write in the first post what theymos said Wink
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
From this info, you should see that the post-based rankings are fairly easy to get and should not be relied on when considering someone's trustworthiness.
rjk
1ngldh
Mod edit: The information about ranks is outdated and no longer accurate, see this thread for up to date information

So you may be wondering whether you should trust someone based on those fancy coins under their name, or perhaps their post count. The short answer is: Do not use these rankings to determine trust!
This post is intended to show you as a future trader how easy it is to get a rank, so that you can be wiser when conducting a trade. As a side note, I always recommend using escrow when possible, especially when you have not previously traded with someone. Always read their posts in their profile to help determine whether they are contributing positively and to attempt to determine trust. Search the forums for more detail and read the other stickies relating to trading discussions and trust.

All the main ranks that can be handed out to normal users are: Brand New, Newbie, Jr. Member, Full Member, Sr. Member, and Hero Member.
Special notes for Newbie status: If a user has been whitelisted manually by forum administration, they will retain Newbie status regardless of their post count, until they have fulfilled a minimum of 4 hours logged in.

In addition to the main rankings, there are also sub-rankings that can be applied, and those are: SCAMMER, Donator, and VIP. Besides the colors, Donators and VIPs get other perks such as access to a secret subforum dedicated to them, and the ability change their usernames whenever they want from within their profiles. SCAMMERs have several restrictions, but are still allowed to post unless they are banned for another reason. SCAMMERs cannot change their profile (including signature, avatar, etc), cannot edit their posts later, and other things.

Finally, staff sub-rankings are as follows: Staff, Moderator, Global Moderator, Administrator, and Founder. Staff members have access to a special "Staff" board where forum moderation is discussed, as well as to the Donator board. Any staff member can whitelist a newbie, just ask!

Rank
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org