Pages:
Author

Topic: Merit & new rank requirements - page 4. (Read 166477 times)

legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1555
May 18, 2023, 06:25:55 PM
Okay, so Merit is just like a Thumbs up reaction/Feedback to someone if their post is helpful,interesting or they do agree to somebody.

In a sense - yes, but you have a limited number of merit points you can send (for every 2 merits you get, you earn 1 merit you can send to someone else), which makes it much different, i.e. people tend to merit posts that they find helpful or valuable rather than throwing merits around at every post they agree with.

Is there like an A.I. that can Determine if a post is worth to be merited or not? If there is no such thing like that then you guys do it Manually?

Nope, it's entirely subjective and done manually. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1908
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
May 18, 2023, 01:14:15 PM
Is there like an A.I. that can Determine if a post is worth to be merited or not? If there is no such thing like that then you guys do it Manually?
It's a manual process. There's no need to determine with AI whether a post deserves merit or not. Every one is free to share merit to anyone if they think the post deserves merit. It's not something like others have to agree. If I find a post merit worthy in my opinion, I can share as long as I have available smerit. Smerits are sendable merits, for every 2 merits you receive, you will have 1 smerit to send.
There are merit sources who can generate a certain amount of smerits every month.
Activity: 42
Merit: 2
Up up and away!!!
May 18, 2023, 12:49:59 PM
Okay, so Merit is just like a Thumbs up reaction/Feedback to someone if their post is helpful,interesting or they do agree to somebody.

Activity: 756
Merit: 179
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
May 18, 2023, 12:38:55 PM
The bit I like most about the meriting system is that it comes mostly when one isn't really expecting it. Like the last time I was merited. 
I felt I gave my best in delivering my thoughts on a topic, and just went ahead to other things. Only for me to see my count increased. 
Merits simply shows appreciation for good input. No reason to add a de-merit, as the concept will become flawed and rather exhausting for newbies and junior ranking members.
Activity: 686
Merit: 520
May 17, 2023, 06:53:19 AM
Unless the forum will give it to me as a function to send merits to random people who makes posts that can be said to be good to the general forum and not to their individual self.

The forum cannot admit that everyone should be given the entitlement of receiving merits as they post, that's why it has to be what the beholder feels about your post before giving you merit or not, they wouldn't want the members to turn it to their right to get merits to move up when they wre contributing less to the forum, there are user's account profile you will go through and hardly find a single post to merit because of what they post are of low quality standard, some are full of bounties threads, reports and the likes thatay not require you giving them merit, work for your merit and be happy you earn it.
legendary
Merit: 2124
May 16, 2023, 10:34:12 AM
Unless the forum will give it to me as a function to send merits to random people who makes posts that can be said to be good to the general forum and not to their individual self.
What do you mean by this that forum gives you function? There are some members who might not completely agree to some posts but still give them merit because they helped or on a general basis it was good so it's upto you how you deliver merits.We all have different approach and criteria while spending our smerits as there's no fixed criteria for it.

But I would say we should not drag this topic too long and remain on topic as we can't discuss on these topics that how we should send merits because the system was implemented to reduce the spammers from ranking up not how you should send them.
Activity: 308
Merit: 274
May 16, 2023, 08:54:50 AM
I wouldn't also support that because it will make the entire system not working as expected because soe will take an abuse of it, once they dislike your post they will go ahead to demerit you from the past merits giving, also that will equally make some loose their rank through that process.

This could be not only a demotion, but also an occasion for blackmail, since this is starting to be taken so seriously. Someone will begin to be afraid to say something for fear that his words will cause someone's rejection and lead to similar negative actions, and someone else may be encouraged to say something or vice versa not to say the same under such threats. This will only create a negative atmosphere on the forum.

It seems to me that all this should be taken easier. If you like the post, and there is something to give merit for, so be it, and then you don’t need to return to this and worry a lot!
Activity: 686
Merit: 520
May 16, 2023, 08:14:12 AM
To send merit In the first place, I must have scrutinize and have found something reasonable in the content before hitting the merit button , either it answered my question or suggestions, or good advice

No one will know what it takes to earn merits and wouldn't value the merit by giving to a post deserving of it, that is why one has to earn it in other to know the value and not to give any post that does not qualify for merit, though it's an individual discretion but we must ensure to identify a quality post to give merit to.

however, make no sense again to think about adjusting the system already in place trying demerit a user because I have come back to find out that the post no longer what to merit, rather I should be cautious when next I'm meriting another user in the future to avoid such thing repeating itself..

I wouldn't also support that because it will make the entire system not working as expected because some will take an abuse of it, once they dislike your post they will go ahead to demerit you from the past merits given, also that will equally make some loose their rank through that process.
Activity: 784
Merit: 542
May 15, 2023, 02:27:34 PM
If I send merit to someone and later discovered that the post does not worth it...Huh
The chances of this are very rare because you merit a post after you have read about it and you liked or it has something useful according to you so the post automatically becomes worthy according to you.
See this example to show that a post that is merit worthy to me today, may not be merit worthy tomorrow. I can change my mind when I have more knowledge.

Mr A is a newbie in bitcoin and he asked a question about why bitcoin is unique.
Mr B answered that bitcoin is unique because it is a centralized network which allows people to take charge  of their money and be their own bank. Due to its volatility, it increases in price and give people profits and it can be used by anyone in any country.

Mr A after reading, sends merit to Mr B but after sometimes, Mr A read some articles and responses of other users and discovered that the centralized used by Mr A had messed everything up.
Mr. A wouldn't want the merit to be there because leaving the merit on top of the misleading post means you support the idea even after getting the right info.

To send merit In the first place, I must have scrutinize and have found something reasonable in the content before hitting the merit button , either it answered my question or suggestions, or good advice etc. however, make no sense again to think about adjusting the system already in place trying demerit a user because I have come back to find out that the post no longer what to merit, rather I should be cautious when next I'm meriting another user in the future to avoid such thing repeating itself..
Activity: 420
Merit: 252
My post made philipma1957 wear signature
April 28, 2023, 11:42:54 AM
Mr A after reading, sends merit to Mr B but after sometimes, Mr A read some articles and responses of other users and discovered that the centralized used by Mr A had messed everything up.
Mr. A wouldn't want the merit to be there because leaving the merit on top of the misleading post means you support the idea even after getting the right info.
Well, mind you that sending a merit to a post does not necessarily mean you agree to the post completely, sending merits is subjective, thus only the sender knows the actual reason why they sent someone some merits.

I send merit because the post has helped me to answer a question or give me directions on what to do to achieve a result and it means I agree with such a post. I don't think that I cam send merit to a post I do not agree with. Unless the forum will give it to me as a function to send merits to random people who makes posts that can be said to be good to the general forum and not to their individual self.
legendary
April 27, 2023, 10:34:03 AM
This thread is more than helpful, giving merit based on post will go a long way to help strengthen the forum activities and at thesame time help newbie have a clue of what it is to engage in helpful post or reply. I got merited recently which was a surprise to me cause , I was not even thinking I could be merited. Thanks to God even if it 1 merit for now, I know hard work does not kill but makes one prosperous, I believe I will recieve more. I also commend those who have suggested that , merit should be based on post and not popularity.
When you start contributing at your levels making some useful posts and sharing knowledge or learning from others you will be rewarded with merits from other users.As mentioned above your first page with 20 posts are entirely different from the rest of posts which are bounty reports on which you haven't earned any merit for all these years.But now when you have made some posts you got what you were not expecting and see additional 2 merits also now.So if you keep working the same way soon you will see more incoming but also keep sending them to other posts you find helpful.
Activity: 798
Merit: 723
April 26, 2023, 01:58:38 PM
See this example to show that a post that is merit worthy to me today, may not be merit worthy tomorrow. I can change my mind when I have more knowledge.
Because this forum is so important, it has rules and regulations in place to govern and control its activities.
Sending out your smerit is a decision, and once made, it cannot be reversed, unlike social media, where you can like and dislike posts whenever you want.

The forum merit system is used to determine a forum member's forum ranks; therefore, demeriting a user indicates that there will be a problem because forum ranks will not be stable because a user has the right to bring someone back simply because he merited the user previously.

This thread is more than helpful, giving merit based on post will go a long way to help strengthen the forum activities and at thesame time help newbie have a clue of what it is to engage in helpful post or reply.
Merits are awarded based on post quality, regardless of whether the poster is a newbie or a legendary member; thus, newbies with good knowledge of Bitcoin who are willing to share their knowledge and interact with other forum members do receive merit.

I got merited recently which was a surprise to me cause , I was not even thinking I could be merited. Thanks to God even if it 1 merit for now, I know hard work does not kill but makes one prosperous, I believe I will recieve more. I also commend those who have suggested that , merit should be based on post and not popularity.
Perhaps you didn't expect any merit because your account was primarily used for bounties; however, as soon as you can contribute useful and high-quality content to the forum, you will undoubtedly receive merit.

Activity: 334
Merit: 27
April 25, 2023, 11:40:49 PM
This thread is more than helpful, giving merit based on post will go a long way to help strengthen the forum activities and at thesame time help newbie have a clue of what it is to engage in helpful post or reply. I got merited recently which was a surprise to me cause , I was not even thinking I could be merited. Thanks to God even if it 1 merit for now, I know hard work does not kill but makes one prosperous, I believe I will recieve more. I also commend those who have suggested that , merit should be based on post and not popularity.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 268
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
April 25, 2023, 07:26:56 PM
If I upvote a post on reddit and later change by mind, tapping the upvote button again will remove the vote.
In same manner if I like a post on facebook and change my mind about it, I can unlike.
If I send merit to someone and later discovered that the post does not worth it...Huh

This forum platform is not like Facebook where you can get back your like by disliking it or unfollowing the one you clicked to follow. That's why this platform is different from other platform forums.

Apparently, most of what is actually being discussed here makes sense, and this forum is being realized by the community members here on how to appreciate the merit they will get and how to use it correctly and above all how to post here makes sense too. So the use of smerit depends on the understanding of each member if it will be given to those who really deserve it because there is nothing to take back once it has been sent or given.
legendary
April 25, 2023, 07:54:05 AM
Merits should be dependent on the post and not the user who made the post. A quality post judged on your subjective standard. Your suggestion would limit newbies from getting merited cause they are new and not yet famous or trustworthy.
Right the merits are given to posts made by users not dependent on their rank and it should always be the same.The newbies who are making good efforts and contributing well to the forum should be recognised in the form of merits giveaway while famous members are already getting attention.So whosoever posts you find useful you can give them merits as there's no justification about it but it should be given to deserving posts not to someone you know if they haven't made that quality post.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1224
'Life's but a walking shadow'!
April 24, 2023, 01:09:14 PM
Well, mind you that sending a merit to a post does not necessarily mean you agree to the post completely, sending merits is subjective, thus only the sender knows the actual reason why they sent someone some merits.

Having said that, this scenario of yours is a non-issue, if you merit a post without actually reading it properly, to later find out that the post is incorrect, you either just move on, or correct the users erroneous info through posting in the thread. This would happen rarely anyway, especially if the merit sender scrutinizes posts before sending merits. The option of users taking back their merits after sending it should never be an option, there are multiple ways in which it can be abused.
Activity: 308
Merit: 274
April 24, 2023, 06:52:22 AM

Mr A is a newbie in bitcoin and he asked a question about why bitcoin is unique.
Mr B answered that bitcoin is unique because it is a centralized network which allows people to take charge  of their money and be their own bank. Due to its volatility, it increases in price and give people profits and it can be used by anyone in any country.

They can always quote the message to which they sent the merit, and express their new thoughts, correct the idea of the author of the message. And I think it will be even better than just taking off merit, so they can expand the communication with new ideas, give the next readers of the topic new ideas to think about.

We're on the forum. If it's really important, it's better to put it into words.
Activity: 728
Merit: 512
April 23, 2023, 03:14:34 PM
Since we are talking about merit regrets I would like to talk about a personal instance I have on it.
If anyone of you are not sure if you are giving your merits to people who you think they deserve them, just move onto give them to people which is very famous, trust worthy or helpful on developing tools for all of us in the forum. That should be enough to incentivize those people who are new around here to be also helpful and worth of trust as they grow their accounts.
If the community decides to follow your suggestion then it will all be a rigid journey for all newbies more like a herculean task instead of the journey  to be partly fun, and if such measure were to be taken before now then some members wouldn't have gotten to the ranks they currently find themselves. For just as the word implies "merit", if it's to be giving to members based on popularity and not for meritorious reason then the purpose for the merit system is already defeated somehow.

Furthermore, the idea of a popular member can be subjective, as who in your perspective is deemed popular in the forum may not be to my own view or to the next member. And by this we then start acting sentimental in ditching out merits even to quality posts rather than being rational with it.
Activity: 420
Merit: 252
My post made philipma1957 wear signature
April 23, 2023, 01:27:49 PM
The chances of this are very rare because you merit a post after you have read about it and you liked or it has something useful according to you so the post automatically becomes worthy according to you.

Activity: 644
Merit: 661
- Leo -
April 22, 2023, 03:51:16 PM
If anyone of you are not sure if you are giving your merits to people who you think they deserve them, just move onto give them to people which is very famous, trust worthy or helpful on developing tools for all of us in the forum.
Merits should be dependent on the post and not the user who made the post. A quality post judged on your subjective standard. Your suggestion would limit newbies from getting merited cause they are new and not yet famous or trustworthy.

It has happened to me in the past and I wanted to give a few merits to newbies, only to realize that they had been banned in a few months.
A banned member can have created a very helpful topic while they could post on the forum, being banned does not make the post any less useful than it is. The merits could also guide other readers to what replies in a thread are useful.

- Jay -
Pages:
Jump to: