Pages:
Author

Topic: Merits Tree 2021 - Who gives merits to whom - page 2. (Read 956 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1024
Goodnight, o_e_l_e_o 🌹

Well, if someone is a merit source and after a whole month they haven't found even four posts that are "worthy" of merits, then the question remains: "Are @theymos' choices for merit sources really that good that they can't find even *four posts* so they don't have to dump fifty posts on *just* three posts in a month?"  That's one post per ten days (thereabouts) - just how active are these merit sources?"
No matter the standard the merit source(s) set for issuing merits, there is no way a dedicated merit source cannot find atleast 10 merit worthy posts to distribute his smerits.
Saying about @Theymos choices of merit sources, it seems that some merits sources did not apply to be one. Maybe it was just handed to them by @Theymos.
You know the zeal to accomplish a task you applied for is different from the one used to accomish a task imposed on you.
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 2219
💲🏎️💨🚓
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 4687
**In BTC since 2013**
As with any statistics, I'm wondering how you've placed the merit senders in the order you've chosen?

As I indicated at the beginning of the topic, I'm using the Top-200 from @Coin-1 as a base:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/top-200-the-most-generous-users-giving-merits-4523027

This top is from the beginning of merits. And analyze that I present is only the data from 2021, hence there are these differences in classification.

It was just a way of choosing users to present. I didn't happen to remember using BPIP.org.

Either as a side thread, or as a part of this thread, it'd be worth seeing if the second tier (i.e. first recipients of your TOP 50 list) actually do the hard yards and dispense the merits they have received, or, the merits bounce around at the top leaving many below languishing.

I find this idea interesting. I can try to make this presentation below. Thanks for the tip!

I've sent over a thousand merits in the last 120 days as an appropriate merit source, now tell me. How generosity does it need to be in a first position?!  Tongue (jk I know you haven't finished)

Here is friend:  Wink

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇
► pooya87 (222)
legendary
💲🏎️💨🚓

Quote from: Theymos
If they complain about amounts, tell them to complain to me. It's best if sources try to exhaust their source allocations, even if it means giving posts higher amounts than is typical. If you have 150 source merit and you only see 3 merit-worthy posts in a month, then I'd rather you over-give each of them 50 merit than let the merit expire.  That way there are more people capable of sending merit, and the "merit economy" is less top-down

Well, if someone is a merit source and after a whole month they haven't found even four posts that are "worthy" of merits, then the question remains: "Are @theymos' choices for merit sources really that good that they can't find even *four posts* so they don't have to dump fifty posts on *just* three posts in a month?"  That's one post per ten days (thereabouts) - just how active are these merit sources?"

Quote from: Theymos
That way there are more people capable of sending merit, and the "merit economy" is less top-down

But they're not being passed down.  Not really.
Activity: 854
Merit: 743
this is very interesting . quite clearly shows who is the benefactor giving or sending merit.
but out of that as a beginner, of course I have to be the one who gives good and interesting posts so that there are benefactors who want to give me awards according to their standards. and this award is very useful for newbies like me
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1024
Goodnight, o_e_l_e_o 🌹
What really bugs me is users receiving many merits and not sending enough.
As a merit source, I often question myself about this.
It is really a bug not only to you but also to the forum at large. But I have this to say about it.
If the merit hoarder is not a merit source, I think there is no much problem even if he hoards forever.
However, if the hoarder is a merit source, it is a problem to the community. A merit source has a duty of distributing merits to quality posts. If some merit sources refuse to carry out this function, it will tell on the other merit sources who work their ass out in other to cover their laggings.
In order to check this, @Theymos can decide to increase the amount of merit sources, this time around paying much attention to the availability of the merit sources.
He can also consider if it is time to implement what he said
a person with Legendary rank has no advantages in receiving merits, as much as in spending them to incremental the pool of reliable users (with high rank)
Though I have seen a Legendary user telling lower ranking members not to merit him that he has no need for the merits, rather the merits should be used to help others rank up.
No matter how good this sounds, I still believe legendary users deserve merits, because there might be changes or addition of ranks anytime.
Psychological this might give rise to an unsaid two methods of issuing merits.
  • Post based meriting: Meriting a post by blinding your eyes against the user you are sending to. Meriting strictly based on the quality of the post.
  • User based meriting: Meriting or not meriting a post based on the user that made the post
No matter how fictional the above may sound, it systematically plays out in some cases. That is why it is good to appreciate a good post with a merits and also the merit sender be appreciated for noticing a good post. To be frank, this space is to big.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
I've sent over a thousand merits in the last 120 days as an appropriate merit source, now tell me. How generosity does it need to be in a first position?!  Tongue (jk I know you haven't finished)

Seriously now, I'm glad to be in the second position once and in the third 6 times. Being the third most-chosen user of @o_e_l_e_o and the second of @pooya87 is nice, but having your account merited by @DannyHamilton makes you feel especially outstanding. He's cheap.

I definitely have the above three in my three-fav list. Bpip agrees.
legendary
💲🏎️💨🚓
As with any statistics, I'm wondering how you've placed the merit senders in the order you've chosen?

By comparison, comparing to BPIP.org information, those users you name fall well down the scale of ranks when the "merit circle" as opposed to those they favour are taken into consideration.

For example:

1st (10) (10 shown)

suchmoon - merit circle - 1st / 2920
LoyceV - merit circle - 2nd / 2732
dbshck - merit circle - 18th / 1139
El duderino_ - merit circle - 37th / 692
Ratimov - merit circle - 7th / 1863
JayJuanGee - merit circle - 10th / 1701
fillippone - merit circle - 21st / 1052
ETFbitcoin - merit circle - 5th / 1922
Foxpup - merit circle - 43rd / 647 (Must be that merit closed circle holding them back)  Roll Eyes
DdmrDdmr - merit circle - 8th / 1785

2nd ( 11 - 30 ) (16 shown)

xandry - merit circle - 9th / 1740
vapourminer - merit circle - 4th / 2179
hugeblack - merit circle - 12th / 1516
Welsh - merit circle - 25th / 946
LFC_Bitcoin - merit circle - 15th / 1201
Halab - merit circle - 13th / 1277
theymos - merit circle - 11th / 1574
qwk - merit circle - 41st / 654 - (Satoshi 300)
The Pharmacist - merit circle - 14th / 1206
DarkStar_ - merit circle - 19th / 1074
EFS - merit circle - 45th / 642
OgNasty - merit circle - 3rd / 2540 (Satoshi 350)
frodocooper - merit circle - 68th / 492
o_e_l_e_o - merit circle - 6th / 1881
1miau - merit circle - 38th / 686
paxmao  - merit circle - 17th / 1150

3rd ( 31 - 50 ) (18 shown)

Vispilio - merit circle - 64th / 528
klarki - merit circle - 19th / 1074
Vlad2Vlad - merit circle - 464th / 130 - hornetsnest (390) - a full third of all their merits earned.
krogothmanhattan - merit circle - 58th / 573
nutildah - merit circle - 16th / 1163
Vod - merit circle - 27th / 934
malevolent - merit circle - 34th / 735
BobLawblaw - merit circle - 108th / 338
bitmover - merit circle - 24th / 971
CryptopreneurBrainboss - merit circle - 23rd / 1014
tyz - merit circle - 56th / 578
Royse777 - merit circle - 48th / 619
Jet Cash - merit circle - 31st / 782
cabalism13 - merit circle - 52nd / 592
OmegaStarScream - merit circle - 32nd / 775
COOLCRYPTOVATOR - merit circle - 30th / 804
Buchi-88 - merit circle - 129th / 318
SyGambler - merit circle - 152nd / 287

Just for context:

Timelord2067 - merit circle - 80th / 446 - (ranked above four of the users who's scores are shown in red above)

As a side note, I've been consistently hovering between 78th and 80th on the merit circle ranking.  With more merits, I believe I can keep this position, or even improve on it considerably. (cue the DT Trolls who are about to say "if your posts had merit..." all the while distrusting me...)

The trickle down of merits that theymos was wanting just isn't happening with many at the top going on the record time and again that they'd rather dump up to fifty merits in one go to a single user rather than actively searching out those whose posts actually deserve merit.

OP:

Either as a side thread, or as a part of this thread, it'd be worth seeing if the second tier (i.e. first recipients of your TOP 50 list) actually do the hard yards and dispense the merits they have received, or, the merits bounce around at the top leaving many below languishing.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1225
Once a man, twice a child!
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1270
Life's but a walking shadow!
I still find there are many users holding merit for no reason, which I think might be laziness or something else (vanity or some feeling of superiority trying to meet high standards?)
I don't really know if I can attribute it to laziness, cause if one is an active user on the forum, and as such posts frequently you must come across good posts frequently, I mean before you post, you must first of all have read at least the OP of the thread you want to comment on, so laziness could prolly not be an excuse, except the user is altogether not really an active one.

Having said that, the case of high standard could come into play, and it's something that's somewhat subjective, in my opinion, I think the users that i could understand if they prolly keep a really high meriting standard is users that aren't merit sources, they could have the mindset that they just have a couple of smerits (sometimes one or two), and they'll want to save it for the very best; but merit sources on the other hand should be more lenient when awarding merits, I know they also run out of it, but they get replenished, and more often than not they have more smerits to give out than an average non-merit source user.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
I admit, I'm lazy Tongue I don't just search for posts to Merit (unless I'm checking someone's post history), so I need to find them from my normal forum reading. I wouldn't mind dumping 30 times 50 Merit on very good posts, but I don't want to spend days looking for them.
Since I became a merit source, I haven't really changed much in the way I send merits except that instead of 1, I can now afford to give 2-3 or more merits for the same type of post because I have a source allocation now. When we are talking about difficulties in finding merit-worthy posts, I am not struggling on that front either. As I read through the threads I find interesting and might reply to, I just merit those posts that I like and that's it.
legendary
Selecting posts to give merit is not trivial. As a merit source I spend many hours per week meriting posts, and it is an endless job. I have now more than 1000 smerits to spend. If I just sit here for more 30 minutes looking for good posts to merit I will find a LOT.

I still find there are many users holding merit for no reason, which I think might be laziness or something else (vanity or some feeling of superiority trying to meet high standards?)
I admit, I'm lazy Tongue I don't just search for posts to Merit (unless I'm checking someone's post history), so I need to find them from my normal forum reading. I wouldn't mind dumping 30 times 50 Merit on very good posts, but I don't want to spend days looking for them.
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
~~

~~

OK! You are right! I forgot to mention another reason for merit: "Topic/post well elaborated/constructed!"  Cool

Nothing escapes you both! That's why they are sources of merits!  Roll Eyes

legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 6089
bitcoindata.science
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
Top 1-10
Top 11-30
Top 31-50 (Some users may not appear, for not having given merits in 2021.)
Top 51-75

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇
► ZekiBeyy (48 )
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
I look to merit as a way of saying, "I agree with you!~"
I can't agree with that Tongue I Merit a post if I think it's worth reading. It's not an endorsement, and it doesn't (necessarily) mean I agree with the post. I sometimes Merit opposing posts in a topic, because they all make valid points.

Correct!(how this couldn't be..)
This is what merits are meant to be:
While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.
legendary
I look to merit as a way of saying, "I agree with you!~"
I can't agree with that Tongue I Merit a post if I think it's worth reading. It's not an endorsement, and it doesn't (necessarily) mean I agree with the post. I sometimes Merit opposing posts in a topic, because they all make valid points.
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
<…> It might also be a nice addition to website like ddmrddmr merit dashboard, or <…>
Rather than tree-like structures, I’d favour more node graphs with vectors between nodes indicating the amount of sMerits sent to and fro (if applicable). The sMerit Network was partly what I wanted to see (although there was no weight on the vertex, and I has to separate Sent and Received charts for ease of use), and Piggy’s gephi based solution was very nice, despite not being able to see the weights of the vertex on the graphs (which is important).

Some time ago, I tried a chord Diagram on flourish:

Clicking on the image you get to the original, clickable, chart.
I also made a similar one for the WO thread...
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org