Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining , still worth it? - page 16. (Read 7308 times)

Activity: 644
Merit: 24
March 22, 2018, 08:00:38 PM
It's still worth it but in terms of buying new hardware right now it may be best to wait. It depends really on how much spare funds you can invest, another important aspect is if it will work out better just buying coins at the moment when the prices are relatively low.

It depends on what you are mining as well. There are some coins, not on whattomine, that are still 2-4 times more profitable that what is listed and known for a given GPU.

It is illusion. There no such profitable coins. In real life profitability will be worse for sure then  on  top  of whattomine for example.  I tried it not once.

Not for daily profit.
copper member
Activity: 166
Merit: 84
March 22, 2018, 07:43:31 PM
Several people in the community (myself included) are working on open-platform FPGA miners (stock FPGA cards widely available + publicly released bitstreams with 2% fee).  The ROI right now is 15 to 90 days based on the card and the algorithm.  In my mind open platform FPGA mining will soon replace GPU's for altcoins, and the FPGA's are almost immune to forking.

Activity: 251
Merit: 6
March 22, 2018, 06:53:49 PM
IDK whether waiting for next gen nvidia is a great plan.  They will likely sell out instantly.

But I don't think buying gpus now is a good plan either.

Right now, prob should just buy coins, which is a discussion for another thread.
Activity: 112
Merit: 0
March 22, 2018, 02:54:07 PM
Prices for graphics cards have decreased, good time to buy, or ideally wait for new cards from nvidia.

Bad time  to buy still.  They decreased a bit but not enough. Prices are at hipe level still.
March 22, 2018, 02:51:32 PM
It's still worth it but in terms of buying new hardware right now it may be best to wait. It depends really on how much spare funds you can invest, another important aspect is if it will work out better just buying coins at the moment when the prices are relatively low.

It depends on what you are mining as well. There are some coins, not on whattomine, that are still 2-4 times more profitable that what is listed and known for a given GPU.

It is illusion. There no such profitable coins. In real life profitability will be worse for sure then  on  top  of whattomine for example.  I tried it not once.
March 22, 2018, 02:48:50 PM
There are a couple of scenarios where mining is still worth it.

1. You have the hardware lying around doing nothing and all you need to do is buy GPUs. Even that is going to be hard cause ROI on just GPU is close to 1 year now.
2. Electricity for you is either free or close to really really cheap. I am talking 0.07 kWh or less. In that case no matter what happens to the market you will still be there mining and getting something back.
3. You love tinkering with hardware/software and are techy. Passion beats everything, and if that is the case ROI or anything else does not really matter.

Biggest problem is that ROI right now for a new rig is around 12 months whatever you mine. 12 months in crypto is an eternity and no one knows what will happen. We might get some good months but most people say that only worse times are coming from now on. Difficulty will keep increasing and new players in the crypto to bring new cash in will be less and less.

ROI (better  to say CR) of naked GPU is 2 years now, not 1 year. Of course if your electricity is free.
Activity: 210
March 22, 2018, 02:42:33 PM
Yes, they are called shitcoins, for a reason Cheesy

Yes, in theory you could make more money mining shitcoin, but

- lot of those pools steal
- by the time your blocks mature, price has dropped and profit is much much smaller
- no volume on exchange to sell
- no decent exchanges for most of the shitcoins

Shitcoin profit looks good only on paper.
Activity: 794
Merit: 272
March 22, 2018, 01:22:19 PM

Activity: 236
Merit: 101
March 22, 2018, 10:56:41 AM
Activity: 420
Merit: 252
March 21, 2018, 07:53:58 PM
Prices for graphics cards have decreased, good time to buy, or ideally wait for new cards from nvidia.
But profit is still low, better option is to wait for new series of nVidia cards. I hope they gonna be more powerful.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
March 21, 2018, 07:30:27 PM
I had some hope for GTC, but right now it's looking like another month or two past that for an announcement on the first consumer 2xxx series cards - and a LOT of conflicting rumours about them.

About the only consistency is the "they will be the 20xx series", even though it would make more sense for them to be called the "11xx" series.

Activity: 644
Merit: 24
March 20, 2018, 04:20:08 PM

Personally I'd just wait another week and see if Nvidia makes any announcements at the GTC next week.
Activity: 60
March 20, 2018, 04:04:21 PM
I'd like to wait for lower prices )
coz they are x1.5 at least
Activity: 686
Merit: 10
March 20, 2018, 04:03:00 PM
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
March 20, 2018, 03:34:54 PM
No. Go away now  Grin
Look, with the ASIC keep coming, your GPU will be crushed like hell.
Sure, you say that XMR will change the algo to V7, are you sure in their base all Bitmain and Bikal engineer not to start to crack that V7 shit and start mining in their base for 5 months or so? And 3 weeks before the announcement of V8 algo change they ship their badass miner to public???

It takes a LOT MORE than one month to redesign an ASIC and get it into actual production.
The Monero Core group can get the algorithm changed a LOT faster than Bitmain or Baikal can change their ASIC.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
March 20, 2018, 07:50:35 AM
Ofcourse it is profitable...I am mining ethereum and verge in dual...
It should stay profitable for some time now...well at least I hope Smiley
Activity: 312
Merit: 104
March 20, 2018, 07:45:33 AM
When ASICs become available in the store like gpu`s, i will buy them. For now, this all ASIC market is shady. And i am not giving thousands of dollars to some chink half of the world away.
Activity: 168
Merit: 2
March 20, 2018, 07:31:20 AM
No. Go away now  Grin
Look, with the ASIC keep coming, your GPU will be crushed like hell.
Sure, you say that XMR will change the algo to V7, are you sure in their base all Bitmain and Bikal engineer not to start to crack that V7 shit and start mining in their base for 5 months or so? And 3 weeks before the announcement of V8 algo change they ship their badass miner to public???
Activity: 243
Merit: 108
Innosilicon ASIC official representative
March 20, 2018, 07:27:34 AM
1.23G/ 1500W, the most powerful LTC miner A6 LTCMaster is on sale now. Click Cybtc Evaluation http://www.cybtc.org/article-106-1.html to learn more information about A6.
Only 3 days!

Activity: 140
Merit: 10
Merit me or don't.
March 20, 2018, 07:21:36 AM
Of course it is still worth it.

Look at the last 3 or 4 years and tell me it isn't.

Even if today it is not profitable for your coins they will be soon enough.

It is days like this when you wish you paid for you bills and the end of the year rather than monthly.
Pages:
Jump to: