Pages:
Author

Topic: Mining VS Rendering - page 2. (Read 6905 times)

copper member
Activity: 199
Merit: 3
Vincoin Cash - Private Digital Currency
September 12, 2018, 05:29:26 AM
I have GPUs lot more powerful than 1060s..but less then 100,maybe you have different minimum requirements for different graphic cards?

Thank you for the question.

"100 GPU minimum requirement is based on our internal tests with 1060s that allows stable and quality rendering service.
We will most probably finetune minimum requirements based on specific models a bit later when we run more tests and get more reliable data."

Best,
LT
Activity: 217
Merit: 10
September 11, 2018, 08:46:25 PM
Will there be enough work or guaranteed work to cover 7/24 instead of mining?

No, They explained it earlier, They will use mining as a backup, So when there won't be any jobs running, The software will mine for you. Expect most of the time being spent on mining. An Average commercial would take a mere hour or two to render with 100 GPUs. As I said in my previous post Unless they land every single Animation studio out there, there isn't much stuff to render.

That is precisely one of my concerns about the performance of this project, if your GPUs are not powerful enough for a certain project, almost all the time they will be doing mining not rendering, and if there are too many powerful GPU farms running the competition among them the price of the rendering will decrease. Regards.
Activity: 154
Merit: 0
September 11, 2018, 03:50:26 PM
Will this be a fresh breeze for miners? maybe this will also be the reason why GPUs will still be needed than ASIC. But wait, can ASIC be used for rendering? Somehow I hope not.
Waiting to bring back to life my D3... Cheesy
It has always been interesting why the major well-known companies are going to cooperate with still dubious projects ?! After all, in fact, GigaWatt takes on the main burden, in this situation. Their equipment and capacity is used.      

Even established companies need to maintain their reputation, must reflect the progress ahead of the times. To do this, new projects are needed and you need to take risks. Agree, the opportunity to become the best in rendering is a good incentive).
Activity: 238
Merit: 1
September 11, 2018, 10:10:54 AM
This is the first time i came across the word rendering. So what is Rendering actually?
If I understand correctly in simple words rendering is the process of creating photorealistic images from 2D or 3D models. Today rendering is used in animation, film production, construction and architecture, surgery and dentistry, etc. But is it really so far, if it is so in demand, that there are no worthy companies rendering rendering? What is the advantage of Leonardo?

Basically none right now! They are just another ICO trying to grab money. Unless they manage to land every single AAA animation studio out there to use their "Revolutionary" app for rendering. Most of the GPUs listed on the software will be sitting idle. Plus it doesn't make any sense to me why Any AAA Animation studio would use them in the first place. If they are going to pay $11,000 for an hour of rendering. Imagine the Scene of "Frozen (Castle Scene) " which took 72 hours to render will cost them $792,000. Also, keep in mind There are some effects which only CPUs can compute. So this "rendering" will be only effective for scenes which take advantage of GPUs mostly.

Plus they have failed to respond to my previous question, which makes me believe they are here to just grab the money.

I was already a little interested in this issue. Other rendering companies exist but they usually have a narrow specialization, for example, provide rendering on cartographic design. Leonardo does not put before us limitations in the complexity of the order. This is a big plus. In addition, at this stage, no one is risking their contributions. Even if the necessary amount of money is not collected, then all returns to investors ..... at least so to say ...
Activity: 751
Merit: 517
Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.
September 10, 2018, 01:45:18 AM
Interesting thread. Me and my 70 x GTX 1060s will be keeping a close watch on Leonardo.
Activity: 326
Merit: 250
September 09, 2018, 07:08:47 PM
Any estimate when will the version for AMD be available?
Some of my friends have big AMD farms with several thousands GPUs.
Activity: 308
September 09, 2018, 02:50:52 PM
i think this i pretty interesting, is there available sites to start rendering. mining isn't bad either it has end me so much but it's time to consider Rendering too.
Activity: 406
September 09, 2018, 12:33:50 PM
This is the first time i came across the word rendering. So what is Rendering actually?
If I understand correctly in simple words rendering is the process of creating photorealistic images from 2D or 3D models. Today rendering is used in animation, film production, construction and architecture, surgery and dentistry, etc. But is it really so far, if it is so in demand, that there are no worthy companies rendering rendering? What is the advantage of Leonardo?

You got it right. If you have used or checked rendering task are done you will find it very fascinating. It's like applying a coat to the bare particular. The advanatage of using Leonardo it takes seconds to render a single image, and mere minutes to render one second of animation. Not only does Leonardo provide the fastest cloud-based rendering process on the planet, but it also provides the most flexibility - users will be able to select the amount of GPU’s employed in the completion of their render. The more GPU’s selected, the faster the render will complete.

"The fastest cloud-based rendering process on the planet" .... sounds very self-confident. Technical power is certainly a big advantage but people will do the rendering work themselves. So there is one more difficult task - to pick up professional staff.
Activity: 1
September 08, 2018, 12:47:16 PM
We have 130+ ASUS P104 -4GB mining card. We have fiber optic internet , we are from Hungary.
Activity: 434
September 08, 2018, 02:21:37 AM
Hello everyone, We are happy to announce that our Beta Version of the Leonardo Render software is on the way. Many improvements and stability tests have been made. The Beta version will be accessible via free download and the rendering service will be available for free for the duration of the Beta-Stage. Stay Tuned for more info.

Best,
LT

It's a good news. The team moved noticeably and the interest of the public began to grow in parallel with doubts. I hope soon we will be able to evaluate everything in practice. On access to the beta version, there will be no restrictions?
I think there will be restrictions as it's the beta version and there gonna be many bugs that are yet to be discovered. Upon checking their roadmap i found that they have delivered the Beta version One Month in advance than was mentioned. I don't think they will allow mining currently or else peoples will jump for the free service haha.
I do not think that the beta version provides for any payment. Rather, it is necessary for users to be able to test the future application and evaluate its value and for developers - to identify and fix the shortcomings.
Activity: 140
Merit: 2
September 07, 2018, 10:54:11 PM
Is 25 1070s + 25 1070 ti's sufficient to participate?
Activity: 728
Merit: 252
Healing Galing
September 07, 2018, 01:16:34 PM
i didn't see any discussion on this, wouldn't the 20 series cards be better for rendering?
Nope. The card designed for 3D rendering available in the market now is the Nvidia Volta architecture. Those cards are expensive ranging from thousands of dollars. NVIDIA Quadro is much more efficient because both Turing and Pascal is designed to be for games. The addition of Raytracing in 20 series have no impact in rendering environment.
Activity: 11
September 06, 2018, 11:31:54 PM
i didn't see any discussion on this, wouldn't the 20 series cards be better for rendering?
Activity: 728
Merit: 252
Healing Galing
September 06, 2018, 07:35:47 PM
I hope someone put up the idea of the pool. I also ready somewhere that one project that has been posted on reddit is renting out GPU's for AI compute capability. Can't remember the name of that project.
Activity: 686
Merit: 100
September 06, 2018, 02:56:23 PM
Going through the thread now, I'm on the West coast of the US, got 100 gpu's (mix of 1060's, 570/580s) and a dozen fpga's.
I hope you have got at least 50 nvidia gpus. It is not available for amd cards at the moment.
Activity: 6
September 06, 2018, 01:57:32 PM
Going through the thread now, I'm on the West coast of the US, got 100 gpu's (mix of 1060's, 570/580s) and a dozen fpga's.
Activity: 109
September 06, 2018, 01:46:45 PM
Link to rendering software please

also we want to try

Thanks for your interest to the project.

Pls, notice text below)

We currently have minimum requirements for the miners - 100 GPUs. The reason is that the rendering should be made within one large enough GPU cluster to provide fast rendering services and avoid latency.

If you qualify, please specify your location, the number of GPUs and preffered method of contact. Our team will be in touch.

Best,
L

I am completely understand this project at all. Hope after the conference has been held may get the clarification like how this work for us.

I own the 30 cards totally including me and my friend. I am from Sri lanka and I have Rx 470 cards rig in India as well.
Please confirm the profit I can make from this software and project.
Judging by the description, Leonardo will provide a good opportunity to implement people with skills in the field of rendering. Do I understand correctly that the work can be done from home, sitting at my computer?
Yes, that's the point mate! If we had to go out, purchase a brand new GPU and then start rendering, waiting for long hours for a single frame to render then there won't be no necessity for LEOS. We can use their GPU's to do the rendering part relaxing back at home. The more GPU’s selected, the faster the render will complete.
And all this will become possible for a little money. If the calculations are accurate and the price does not exceed 0.50 dollars for GPU per hour then Leonardo will become a serious competitor in this market.      
Activity: 406
September 05, 2018, 03:41:08 PM
Interesting project to say the least. Looks like Golem has a competitor. From what I have studied and tested GeePeeU PCI bandwidth isn't an issue for rendering as compared to AI training. I got the following results.

Vray Benchmark:
https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/gpu/details?hw=Intel%28R%29+Core%28TM%29+i5-2300+CPU+%40+2.80GHz+x4%2C+GeForce+GTX+1070+8192MB+x4&id=16244

System Specs: i5 2300
Ram: 10 GB
GPUs: 4 x 1070s

The difference is of +/- 2 seconds. Keep in mind I used a PCI-express 4x Splitter and these results are from a single PCI-lane.

Here is another result from octane bench:

I saw a 10% performance loss while using the "splitter". Still isn't that much IMO.

What I am more interested in is why they are worried about the latency issues and how golem will tackle it. From what I have researched there are plugins already available for connecting up multiple machines for rendering in a LAN environment. Are you guys using one of these? That's the only logical explanation for me to not accept people with less than 100 GPUs. Cause their "software" isn't made to do rendering on the global scale i.e is to split up the task and send it around the globe to an average user/miner.

Also, what will happen with GPUs who will stand idle for most cases? Are you going to support mining as a backup for them? I can't imagine these GPUs are being used 24/7 unless you have managed to land every single Animation studio on the planet to use your service, which I highly doubt at this stage.

A very informative post and a detailed study are described. You did a lot of work and analyzed it. Apparently, the project really hooked you)
Activity: 686
September 05, 2018, 02:59:40 PM
Hi, Is it Possible to join with 8 GPUs ?

I'm afraid that this is not enough (for a qualitative rendering you need a certain capacity of at least 100 GPU. Perhaps you should find a company and merge for a common goal)      
As far as I remember you need at least 50 gpus now to being accepted to project
Activity: 40
September 05, 2018, 01:59:54 PM
Hi, Is it Possible to join with 8 GPUs ?

I'm afraid that this is not enough (for a qualitative rendering you need a certain capacity of at least 100 GPU. Perhaps you should find a company and merge for a common goal)      
Pages:
Jump to: