Pages:
Author

Topic: [MRY] Murraycoin ▪ The Only Currency Worthy of Bill Murray ▪ Now Scrypt-2048 - page 53. (Read 117998 times)

Activity: 209
Merit: 100
Don't be silent, there are people talking on IRC that it would be cool to launch an altcoin with charity idea. MRY already alive, let's make it kicking before a couple of scamcoins will destroy confidence.

If anything was going to ruin Murraycoin it would have been TakeiCoin going down.  I cannot believe people are dumping this so low.  Everytime I go to Cryptorush or Xnigma it seems like I can get cheaper and cheaper shares of Murray.  95% of people in the alt coin game have zero patience.  They want new coins, long term plans they day they are launched, multiple exchanges the day they are launched and multiple posts by a dev regardless of their are updates or not.  The coins that will thrive in the long run are ones where the devs and community had patience and ride out the storms and the good times. 

Though the Murraycoin community is small, it's strong. If we can get it voted on to Cryptsy or Poloniex it will just add awareness.  If you read some of the discussion you would think MRY has been around for years and is struggling when in reality, it hasn't even been 2 months since it's launch.  Go look through other coins threads, how many of the devs are actively posting and updating 2 months into a launch of a coin who has yet to find a major exchange?  You won't find many.  For those of you who have followed, the golf tournament and the follow weeks after that is what we have been waiting for.

Community! Wear your Murraycoin shirts proudly!  Prices are cheap enough that anyone who believes in the coin can pick up cheap shares left and right at both exchanges.  Let's keep on voting MRY where we can.  People will only know about the coin, the charity and the community if we let them know!

https://www.mintpal.com/voting - Sitting around ~1950 votes, you need to be registered then can vote up to 5 times per hour.  A lot of coins ahead due to coins paying multiple BTC to buy votes, but let's push it up!

https://www.cryptsy.com/coinvotes/ - Sitting around 1350 votes.  You can only vote once per user, then all votes are bought after that.  Getting on here would be a huge bump for the coin. 

Eat, drink and be Murray!!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Don't be silent, there are people talking on IRC that it would be cool to launch an altcoin with charity idea. MRY already alive, let's make it kicking before a couple of scamcoins will destroy confidence.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
+1  Smiley

Also, it's been written, but I wonder if it gets glossed over because I don't see it come up outside this thread - Murraycoin is sponsoring a hole at the Murray Bros. golf tournament!

That's been set up for a while. The Murraycoin team isn't just showing up at the tournament out of the blue, they already have a relationship with the Murray Bros. foundation.

Activity: 656
Merit: 251
www.fintropy.io
Sooo... no carrots then? This may not be the coin for me.

+1 to your thought that merchandise is a pretty clear sign about legal things.

Shirts look awesome, too.

+1 to the +1 on my +1

Its a clear a sign as any these days. Not being sold at some back alley-market. Will be sold online and worn in front of Bill.
Cant hold every ones hand down the path. People have to work out whats put in front of them without general consensus.

Activity: 24
Sooo... no carrots then? This may not be the coin for me.

+1 to your thought that merchandise is a pretty clear sign about legal things.

Shirts look awesome, too.
Activity: 656
Merit: 251
www.fintropy.io
The coin having a similar fate to others (harshly undervalued) shortly after being listed is no surprise, and is exactly how I saw it going. The fact that there was 8mn ish coins mined before being listed anywhere public meant at least a portion would want to dump.

Anything copyright related or with possible legal issues (even though MRY doesn't, unless you dig through this thread you wouldn't know that) is avoided like the plague. There will not be decent buy support until this is widely and commonly known.

I personally love these times of panic and FUD. Its the best time to mine or buy. The longer the better.

+1 well said
If people can't read going to the Golf Tournament with merchandise as a green light no legal issues with Bill going to be there then they don't deserve to be rich.
People need announcements because thats what they are told they need. If it was said from the beginning we are waiting on an announcement and a bag of carrots. Half of the geniuses would still be waiting
for a bag of carrots after the announcement.
This coin was a green light go for buy and mine a long time ago.
(Also to the 50% carrots are not needed for progress....it was just an example.)
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
The coin having a similar fate to others (harshly undervalued) shortly after being listed is no surprise, and is exactly how I saw it going. The fact that there was 8mn ish coins mined before being listed anywhere public meant at least a portion would want to dump.

Anything copyright related or with possible legal issues (even though MRY doesn't, unless you dig through this thread you wouldn't know that) is avoided like the plague. There will not be decent buy support until this is widely and commonly known.

I personally love these times of panic and FUD. Its the best time to mine or buy. The longer the better.
Activity: 209
Murray Bros Charity tournament just a little more than 2 weeks away!  Murray liftoff is on its way!
Activity: 41
Just found this coin on Xnigma. Looks cool. Love me some Bill Murray! I bought a few earlier. How many do I need before I can impress murraygirl?  Cool
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer
Also, I have been receiving numerous PMs (sorry I cannot respond to you all individually at this time) and many are from people concerned about the current value of MRY. I would like to take a moment to address that topic (and more):

Let me start by saying that, as of this post, Murraycoin would be #1 if it was listed on CoinWarz. That means that even at these deflated values, it continues to lead the pack in ROI. Which brings me to my second point: obviously, altcoins in general are down. Bitcoin is still recovering, the market is saturated with GPUs that were bought when mining profitability was off the charts, and everything is being approached with caution due to recent events surrounding crypto-currency. It will take a while, but confidence will be rebuilt and people will begin jumping back into the insane world of alts.

Another issue is that Murraycoin launched nearly 2 months ago and there has still been no official public announcement from Bill Murray or the Murray Bros. Foundation. Again, we don't expect the partnership to be finalized until after the Caddyshack Charity Golf Tournament later this month. Their time is limited due to continued planning for their biggest event of the year and, while conversations have all remained positive, it's important we respect their time frame. In the end, it may prove to be a blessing in disguise that progress has been slower than anticipated because most experts are expecting a major Bitcoin rebound around that same time period.

Finally, the elephant in the room: Murraycoin still isn't listed on any high-volume exchanges. This means we don't have visibility catching the eye of general day traders - people coming to the beta exchanges we are currently listed on are typically coming there because they already have Murraycoins and they are looking to sell. One disadvantage of being the most profitable coin to mine is that we're going to attract the attention of people looking to just mine and dump to maximize their BTC profit. Earlier this week, an impatient Murraycoin miner that had been mining since launch dumped on every open buy order at Xnigma and wiped out the entire buy order book. Because Xnigma volume is so low and there are a number of technical issues still being worked out as well, it's difficult to stabilize value without an exchange with higher volume. CryptoRush seems to be even more of a dumping ground and there are so many coins there with such low traffic that it's difficult for Murraycoin to be noticed. We are working on improving this situation as well by getting Murraycoin listed on more exchanges - currently, we are waiting on some paperwork that should make the process less complicated.

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary. We're in a bear market, we have limited visibility, we are not currently traded on any high-volume exchanges, and there is a lull in news this month. This will all change soon enough. We're the only celebrity coin currently out there that actually has a future and we intend to be the first endorsed celebrity coin. The potential here remains very high and things are going well - this is the calm before the storm. There is very little innovation right now in the altcoin world - the new string of premine scams, pump-and-dump scams, etc - we have something unique - something 100% positive - and when everything finally comes together, the world will notice Murraycoin.
The first batch of 24 Murraycoin T-shirts was delivered today:

All of these have already been claimed but we have a bigger batch coming in soon and they will be available to order at murraycoin.org next week (accepting payment via PayPal or, of course, MRY.) Murraycoin will kick into high gear in April and we have a wide variety of MURRAYchandise in the pipeline.
Murraycoin (finally) added for voting on Cryptsy. Not sure why it took as long as it did, but it looks like we will have to jump through the voting hoop to get listed there.

https://www.cryptsy.com/coinvotes
Activity: 75
Hello people,

I created a MRY-Faucet here: http://murraycoin.altcoinfaucet.net/

Please donate some coins if you want  to support the faucet: MDxgiTVFrxH6hy37VLw2jpwe3nLdzE6Z5r

Enjoy and thanks in advance,
Altcoinfaucet.net
Activity: 79
So we're all just quietly mining and awaiting the word on the Murray Bros.? Sweet. Cheesy

It seems *very* risky to have any talk about any plans for BM to be involved, let alone fantasies about him mentioning this on Letterman.  Have you ever heard any celebrity endorsing products on Letterman?? Any celebrity endorsing an altcoin?  They are very risk adverse, with hucksters approaching them every day. They are turned off by it, like with Takeicoin and many other examples.

A low key key fan- and charity based approach is the best bet.  Keep the Twitter humming along supporting his charity. If it raises enough money for the Charity and finally gets through to him he may mention it or make a joke about it.   If you can eventually get a reasonable payment provider on board, you might ultimately get them to have it as a payment option.  This should be the blue sky goal, not endorsement on Letterman!

First of all, we have been in contact with Bill Murray's foundation for some time and Bill looks to the foundation to research and manage fundraising opportunities. We are well beyond the point of Takeicoin which was released 2 weeks after Murraycoin - Murraycoin was released over 1 1/2 months ago. This has always been about the foundation. Celebrities endorse and promote products all the time - especially on talk shows. Again, it was simply an idea being thrown out.

Second, I was responding to a question regarding possible ways the foundation could continue to raise donations after the initial sum - perhaps you misunderstood my post. I responded with a few ideas we have already discussed with the foundation (one of them being Bill offering to promote Murraycoin at various milestones to encourage donations.)
Activity: 160
It seems *very* risky to have any talk about any plans for BM to be involved, let alone fantasies about him mentioning this on Letterman.  Have you ever heard any celebrity endorsing products on Letterman?? Any celebrity endorsing an altcoin?  They are very risk adverse, with hucksters approaching them every day. They are turned off by it, like with Takeicoin and many other examples.

A low key key fan- and charity based approach is the best bet.  Keep the Twitter humming along supporting his charity. If it raises enough money for the Charity and finally gets through to him he may mention it or make a joke about it.   If you can eventually get a reasonable payment provider on board, you might ultimately get them to have it as a payment option.  This should be the blue sky goal, not endorsement on Letterman!

That is very true, but the idea behind the coin is sound no matter what.  The charity alone is a big positive.

However, if anyone was going to endorse a coin(jokingly, or not), it would be Bill Murray.  Especially if that coin is named after him, and is donating to his charity.

Of course, you shouldn't hold your breath about that one.  Just keep mining, and feel good about doing something positive.  If it works out in the end, then great.
Activity: 20

i personally like to open up the discussion if murraycoin is planning to become a full on charity coin or also a way for merchants to pay with coin?
R ight now 250k murrays are in the pot, however once this is paid out? What will be next?
How do we keep adding to the charity pot? How do we keep investors interested in not only investing but also adding to the charity. How do we stop people from dumping on murray once it does go popular,
and when do u decide to pay out those 250k. What is your target for selling thse coins and how will u sell them? U might have mentioned this before....

First of all, we expect Murraycoin to be like any other coin as far as ways it will be used...with the added focus on charity and, hopefully, the ultimate promotional power of Bill Murray getting on board. We have plans for an online store, fundraisers, auctions, etc but we need to secure Bill Murray's full endorsement in order to really make this coin special.

One way we will continue to raise donations for the charity is through the mining pools. Almost all of the Murraycoin pools are donating a percentage to the fund. (For example, FusionHash has guaranteed a minimum of 0.5% for life.) Beyond that, the sky is the limit. We have had discussions with the Murray Bros. Foundation regarding your same question and it didn't take long to get their wheels spinning as well. One idea I mentioned was that Bill could promise to bring up Murraycoin while on The Late Show With David Letterman, for example, if certain donation milestones are reached before the show. Obviously every time something like this occurred, it would increase Murraycoin exposure and likely directly increase the value - this gives double incentive for people to donate. The most successful fundraisers are the ones where the donators get something back out of it. Another idea one of our team members had was that Bill could create a Vine account (or something along that line) and release a hilarious video mentioning Murraycoin every time we hit certain donation milestones. These milestones could even move around depending on whatever he feels like. Of course we could also sell autographed merchandise at murraycoin.org for Murraycoins which would all go into the charity fund. When you stop to think about it, this could literally be one of the most powerful fundraising tools in history. I'm telling you guys - it's only a matter of time before celebrities and philanthropists in general begin to adopt this technology. It's so easy to send funds to/from anywhere in the world and it's also a great way to attract new people to cryptocurrency. Having a spokesperson people love is key to helping the general public understand crypto and all of the great aspects of it that they've never even heard about - right now, the media is still in the fear/negative stage. The news loves to report negative stories in general because for some reason that's what people prefer. Negative stories bring in ratings and attract more attention - people are drawn to negative stories like a moth to a flame and it's so much easier to reject a new idea than to be open to it. We heard the same garbage about the Internet and Email at one point too - now it's bitcoin. If this all plays out like I think it will, the Murraycoin Project will start knocking down walls and change the world of both cryptocurrency and fundraising forever. Think about it: if Bill Murray popped in on a single episode of The Late Show next week and publicly endorsed Murraycoin, the value would skyrocket overnight - they would probably be looking at over $250,000 worth of Murraycoins in their fund within 48 hours of the appearance. The strategy of making Murraycoin promotion and incentive to donate is powerful because the foundation receives more donations and the following promotion helps raise the value of said donations. This is an unprecedented opportunity for everybody involved. Imagine how many "$500/plate dinners" and "50/50 ticket sales" it would take to raise what this could do in hours - Bill Murray thinks outside the box when it comes to fundraising and that's just one more reason why he's the perfect celebrity to lead the pack on this.

The foundation can do whatever they want with the Murraycoins - if they want to go dump them all on an exchange at some point that's their right to do so. However, based on our conversations thus far, they would prefer to have us assist them on decision-making here. The initial plan was that they would sell the Murraycoins on their own website via paper wallets for ~$1/MRY initially. This way, it would be easy for anybody to go purchase the paper wallets without first needing other currencies to exchange. We will cross that bridge when we get there but, regardless, the coins are theirs and they make all of the decisions regarding their use. On that same note, we can't prevent anybody from dumping their Murraycoins...but who cares? Murraycoin has potential like nothing else before it and there's nothing that indicates a dump would do much damage if we have Bill Murray on board.

At the end of the day, it's all speculation. One step at a time. Yes, the potential is huge. Yes, we are likely making history here. Yes, there will certainly be people that dump at some point. Yes, this is the closest anybody has come to having a celebrity-endorsed cryptocurrency. The bottom line is that without Bill Murray promoting this thing, we will certainly need to restructure the business model and expectations will have to be lowered. While I don't think this is likely, we cannot rule out that possibility. However, we are really confident we will pull this off and, the second we do, the world will begin to realize just how awesome Murraycoin is. It's so much more than a coin.

Hang in there guys - I'm not going to let you down.
Activity: 20
I like this coin.

It seems like the best avenue for success is to focus on a distinctly professional charity component.  Transparency and reliable updates and payments are key.  If the Murray Bros see substantial and regular donations they will be hard pressed not to accept this as a potentially valuable partner. Good work.
linux src on github is missing src/checkpointsync.cpp unable to compile

We chose to pull checkpoint syncing before launch due to negative reactions pre-launch on IRC (reliance on a centralized server for a new coin concerned a number of people.) Instead, we are just using standard checkpoints. We did develop a way to work around the checkpoint syncing in case the server(s) drop offline...but we likely won't be implementing that until down the road.

I will glimpse at the code and see where it is snagging - likely just a reference to the file somewhere. Strange that this is the first time this issue has been reported - thank you for bringing it to my attention.

What's up with mry.fusionhash.com?   Time change bork it?
Sigh it's my luck, I just started mining there so it's not working.Smiley

Received multiple reports - want to preface this by saying everybody has now been paid for their shares and everything is rolling along business-as-usual at FusionHash.

I believe "OctoCoin" was the culprit. FusionHash was a launch pool for OctoCoin and due to a massive spike in signups, hash power, and DDoS attacks within seconds of OctoCoin launching, they had to fire up an OctoCoin stratum server on the same machine that is hosting the Murraycoin stratum server (they assured me Murraycoin was only utilizing about 5% of the machine's resources so I reluctantly signed off on it - their pool and they can do what they want, of course.)

After things calmed down a bit, I asked them to move Murraycoin back to a dedicated machine - we heavily rely on the stability of FusionHash's Murraycoin pool since the majority of the Murraycoin network hash is in there. The issue popped up during this move so I suppose, in a way, it sounds like you can blame me for the delayed payouts/stats! Here is the response I received from FusionHash a few hours ago:

While moving the live database to new dedicated hardware as you requested, there was a < 1 second delay between the mirrored MRY databases. We pointed everything at the new database, made it the master, and switched the old database into slave mode. Upon inspection, a block had been found and inserted into the slave database that did not sync over to the new database in time. Unfortunate timing but there was a an ~1% chance this could happen due to the lag and of course it did. Moving around live databases is tricky but we did it this way to ensure there would be zero downtime on the pool. After forcing the payout script, we tripped the "double payout" warning and the cronjobs were locked. As it was the weekend, we were short staffed and already had our hands full with OctoCoin so we did not notice that all of the cronjobs were temporarily disabled. All shares were being accounted for and there were no issues with mining it was simply things like statistics and payouts that were appearing to be frozen. We have corrected the minor database discrepancy, reactivated the cronjobs, and all statics and payouts are being processed as I type this message. Thank you for your patience and pass our appreciation along to the Murraycoin community. We promise we will be more involved in the community as soon as we are settled in our new offices.

Sincerely,

(name removed)
FusionHash, LLC

If you still believe you weren't properly compensated for your shares, please contact FusionHash at:

[email protected]

They have assured me everything has been taken care of but they will certainly investigate any claims. FusionHash has been a big supporter of the Murraycoin Project and they have some cool stuff they are working on exclusively for Murraycoin.

Just a final note: I took the weekend off but I'm back in the saddle and we have a big week ahead. As usual, I'm not looking to create false hype or false hope but we are working toward the #1 goal: securing Bill Murray's endorsement. Once we have that, everything else will start to fall into place. I've been receiving a lot of requests for games, merchandise, raffles, etc...but we can't lose focus on what really matters at this stage. Network speed is remaining steady, price is holding relatively well on the small exchanges trading Murraycoin, and the road ahead looks clear regarding endorsement talks. Nothing new to report as of right now but we will continue to remain transparent throughout every step of this process. I have a strong feeling that, in hindsight a few weeks from now, this will have been the calm before the storm.
Pages:
Jump to: