Pages:
Author

Topic: Mt Gox thinks it's the Fed. Freezes acc based on "tainted" coins. (unlocked now) - page 2. (Read 17894 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
Bitcoin is so doomed long term. Oh well, there goes my time and money investment.
Why would Bitcoin be doomed? You forgot this is a free market? You forgot you can choose any exchange of your liking?

People are acting like MtGox is some kind of central bank while they themselves choose to use it, and then they bitch about it and proclaim the end of Bitcoin instead of boycotting it.

The fuck is wrong with you?

Have you seen his other posts? As a fellow frothing retard, I don't typically judge people on their other claims in other threads, but Jesus. I'd be surprised to see that he thought Bitcoin was useful at all.
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin is so doomed long term. Oh well, there goes my time and money investment.
Why would Bitcoin be doomed? You forgot this is a free market? You forgot you can choose any exchange of your liking?

People are acting like MtGox is some kind of central bank while they themselves choose to use it, and then they bitch about it and proclaim the end of Bitcoin instead of boycotting it.

I don't do any business with MtGox. However, the future of bitcoin doesn't depend exclusively on me.

It's not a matter of individual decisions. As a means of exchange it depends on group dynamics, and the truth of the matter is that MtGox has a stronghold powerful enough to steer practices and usage. And they're doing it.

Ever heard of the Tragedy of the Commons?

This is looking pretty bad IMO. Just my personal judgement in the matter. Looks like enough people just can't properly value the importance of fungibility. Enough for the whole project to implode by the looks of it.
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

Bitcoin isn't doomed if it's used only as a debt settlement utility.

Think about it like this: You still use Paypal, but when it comes time to cash out, instead of getting money into your bank account, you withdraw it as Bitcoins. That's the ultimate direction of Bitcoin as I see it.

Right now people have the misconception that it should be used a large-scale micropayments solution across the world and that's it's highly scalable.  Roll Eyes
donator
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
Hey MPOE-PR, wanna found the first Bitcoin Fire Department?

I think I'm going to save myself for the First Bitcoin Wahmbulance Center.
Well, call it the Bitcoin Fire Department then, its exactly equally as good a name.

Hey MPOE-PR, wanna found the first Bitcoin Fire Department?
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Well, call it the Bitcoin Fire Department then, its exactly equally as good a name.
I like that name actually! Grin Maybe you should contact SomeoneWeird and tell him. Tongue
rjk
1ngldh
The consensus is that there is not, never will be and never could be any "Bitcoin Police" and also that the hicks who think in these terms but aren't self-aware enough of their mental issues to stick with fiat currency only should be ostracised.
The "bitcoin police" idea isn't law enforcement, and can't bring anyone to justice. What they do is provide a service to LE and to businesses like mtgox, offloading the responsibility of tracking stolen property to them as a third party, and providing a service to the LE that are too incompetent to do themselves, although this might change eventually. It is a win for all involved parties, and I don't understand your extreme reaction.

The name is somewhat inaccurate, but that could be changed.
The consensus is that there is not, never will be and never could be any "Bitcoin Police" and also that the hicks who think in these terms but aren't self-aware enough of their mental issues to stick with fiat currency only should be ostracised.
Activity: 950
Merit: 1001
a future where MtGox isn't the Bitcoin Police and the community comes to a consensus as how we police ourselves - before someone else does.

There already is such a consensus. Bitcoins should be as interchangeable as gold coins. If anything, we need more/better anonymity services, so that even an exchange performing due dilligence can't trace them. Today it's AML, tomorrow who knows.
Activity: 532
a future where MtGox isn't the Bitcoin Police and the community comes to a consensus as how we police ourselves - before someone else does.
There is no "Bitcoin Police". Jesus.

Are you people from like, the future?
donator
any attempt to second class some will fail

It depends on what do you consider fail. They've managed to scam a bunch of coins this way, so it's being profitable thus far.

How much this whole policy will damage their business... we will see. So far, it looks like most people don't care.
agreed (and you'll notice above, it was not my original term, it was borrowed from a post above)
Activity: 560
Ad astra.
We are trying to have the law enforcement agencies contacting us working with the "Bitcoin Police"
This is possibly the most retarded thing I read on this forum. And just for the record, there is a lot of retarded shit here.

Well, which is more retarded, the community going to, and expecting MtGox to police coins, or MtGox going to the community for policing and telling law enforcement they must do the same?

Seems a no brainer to me.

If i ran Mt.Gox, I'd rather wash my hands of the whole notion. Who in their right mind wants to get any more involved with money laundering investigations than necessary? FFS, the BANKS are the ones who fight those regulations the most. Money laundering is a new (and victimless) crime. Why should an exchange have to be the money cops? That is the retarded shit

Though I don't think the use of the term "retarded shit" lends veritability to your argument, I concur with your thesis.

Not only should MtGox not be responsible for this; they shouldn't attempt to do it either. This is essentially akin to the Eligius scandal when LukeJr killed off an alt-chain. (which I still maintain he should have been banned for) Self-appointed "justiciars" are naught more than somewhat conceited people who, through luck, skill, or otherwise, managed to attain more power than they can deal with. Now, MagicalTux has in general been reasonably responsive and never shown any indication of malevolent intent. Tux and Gox, please, for yourselves and the community, give this ill-fated attempt up now. Climb out of the pit before the hole fills in. There are many other ways to ensure legal compliance than attempting to play law enforcement.

I verily hope you will turn around before the road gets too steep, but if you do not, the community will just find another exchange. Remember back to high school biology - natural selection stills applies. This is not a tolerant climate for mistakes. Like it or not, c'est la vie.
We are trying to have the law enforcement agencies contacting us working with the "Bitcoin Police"
This is possibly the most retarded thing I read on this forum. And just for the record, there is a lot of retarded shit here.

Well, which is more retarded, the community going to, and expecting MtGox to police coins, or MtGox going to the community for policing and telling law enforcement they must do the same?

Seems a no brainer to me.

If i ran Mt.Gox, I'd rather wash my hands of the whole notion. Who in their right mind wants to get any more involved with money laundering investigations than necessary? FFS, the BANKS are the ones who fight those regulations the most. Money laundering is a new (and victimless) crime. Why should an exchange have to be the money cops? That is the retarded shit
rjk
1ngldh

Actually, offloading accountability to a third party sounds pretty good to me.
Activity: 597
Pages:
Jump to: