Pages:
Author

Topic: Mt Gox thinks it's the Fed. Freezes acc based on "tainted" coins. (unlocked now) - page 8. (Read 17894 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
By the way, they were fine with me selling off my "tainted" BTC on their market, so they get their commission. My account only got frozen after I exchanged the coins for USD and tried to withdrawal so good luck to whoever bought my coins!

Mt Gox sells tainted coins then locks your account for having them.

If I don't verify the acc how much do you think bitcoinica will get of those funds? I mean that's why they're doing this right? Like my jokes? I'll be here all night.
Activity: 597
Merit: 500
This is turning insane. MtGox is shooting his foot because everybody who has accepted some payment in March can have tainted coins in a low percent. So the more topics starting with "MTGox has frozen my account", the less people will use that changer.

Dear MtGox workers:

- How many "tainted" coins make my address open to freeze? Is it a percentage or more than a number of coins?

- Are you going to increase the crimes that involve Bitcoins in order to taint them? Please, take a look at the next transaction:

http://blockexplorer.com/tx/9d170708462dbeac1d4fedc849c1fa91f0da52e6f2d2dae1baf2d797cc9a12d6#i4791420

I think this transaction proves that "Lupus" payed some coins for a sexual service from a user called "TrAnnY", so please taint them too.
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
MS stole your tainted money?
I don't have either tainted money or MS, but if you'd stop beating your wife for five minutes you'd notice MS also uses their customer's resources to promote their boneheaded take on politics.
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
I'm only dealing with Intersango now, though I'd like to know of their stance about this to be honest.

MtGox can go fuck themselves.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Psi laju, karavani prolaze.
This is ridiculous. MtGox is turning into Microsoft.

MS stole your tainted money?
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
This is ridiculous. MtGox is turning into Microsoft.
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
I'm pretty sure they are looking to get everyone verified at any cost, thus the constant stream of AML docs required for petty things like this. Although I find it useful that they are bothering to even look into where the coins came from, it could be as simple as locking the account and asking the user that deposited them and then unlocking it again, no AML bs needed.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
They may or may not be able to do that legally however it will take a lawsuit to find out.  So far any seizures they have done haven't been worth the effort for anyone to contest them.  The fact that they are in Japan and most of their customers are not in Japan hasn't helped.

Eventually I would suspect they will be sued and if found in violation hopefully get slammed with some massive punitive damages on top of actual damages. 

I can't see how even the most forced reading of KYC or AML laws requires them to track tainted coins and if they did what is "tainted"?  Did Bitcoinica file a police report?  If not then based on what due process are they even considering the coins stolen?  Because an anonymous person (no offense Zou) on an anonymous message board said their anonymous funds were stolen.

Mt Gox.  I had 783901237129037289312701389 coins stolen 9 seconds ago.  I will send you some addresses please comply with "the law" and block all the tainted coinz and stuff.

Complying with the law is one thing, being the Bitcoin Police is another.  Someday I expect a lawsuit but it likely won't happen until they fuck over the wrong person (someone with both the means and opportunity to strike back).
Activity: 252
Most recent update, they unlocked the account. Thanks for the support.

Hello,

We have had the AML requirement lifted from your account as Bitcoinica no longer wishes to pursue this case. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

Original post follows.

Yesterday I got my mt gox acc locked. I thought it was strange since I barely use the service and put a few hundred a month through it. I wasn't passing any limits or moving any amount of money that matters. Well today I got a reply to my support ticket, here it is.

Hello Name,

Thank you for your inquiry. Due to the incident of stolen coins from Bitcoinica a couple of weeks ago, the accounts that are suspected to have been receiving the tainted coins were flagged for AML. If you believe that this was done in error, please submit your official ID and proof of residence so that the AML team may verify your account. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your kind cooperation in this matter.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

This is the first time BTC has entered my acc since the linode hacks. It was less than $150 and it was payments from customers all over the world. So of course there might be some tainted coins in there but I suspect the percent of them would be very low. I also bet any of you that have accepted payments in the last few weeks will have the same small percent of taint. Of course Mt gox sees this is a great opportunity to shit on the community when it's down, and steal from us. It's obvious they are using this as an excuse to lock accounts based on the chance they won't verify, then profit. Nice business practices there.

Are they even allowed to do this? I'm sure their EULA says they can, right after they sacrifice your firstborn and empty your bank account because of a typo, but legally? They think they can say what coins are good or bad? How could merchants accept payments if this is the case? It's the same as a charge back just through different means.

Pages:
Jump to: