Pages:
Author

Topic: Mt.Gox SCAM? $38million disappeared. Large sums affected. - page 10. (Read 38105 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 107
Watch out INTERPOLs red notice list on Monday evening or Tuesday morning.
Requests (>1) are from the USA.

Was leaked by an well respected french IT security consultant in an private hacking-related chatroom.

pastebin? reminds me of the JA case. interpol = USpol.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Watch out INTERPOLs red notice list on Monday evening or Tuesday morning.
Requests (>1) are from the USA.

Was leaked by an well respected french IT security consultant in an private hacking-related chatroom.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

Wow that's exact what Max Keiser has been saying about the exchanges. They simply don't care, Max believes the exchanges needs to change before bitcoin has the slightest change of becoming more stable.

Great story I recommend everyone read it. And if anything if you have bitcoins in MtGox I would take out of them, even if they are in cold storage. There are other places and other technology to put your bitcoins into cold storage.

It is indeed pretty easy to set up a cold wallet with armory.  Smiley
Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Wow that's exact what Max Keiser has been saying about the exchanges. They simply don't care, Max believes the exchanges needs to change before bitcoin has the slightest change of becoming more stable.

Great story I recommend everyone read it. And if anything if you have bitcoins in MtGox I would take out of them, even if they are in cold storage. There are other places and other technology to put your bitcoins into cold storage.

Activity: 808
Merit: 1011
A short video showing daserpent1 in front of his PC right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwN5so86VNI

For everyone who wants to sell - watch this video and calm down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTjyRu88PRE
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
This is why exchanges needs to stop running in hobby mode and get serious. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the price of bitcoin fall to a new low and that people who are on MtGox move away from MtGox all together and start using some of the other exchanges instead.

I am surprised there isn't a stick on exchanges and their overall rating on this form, so that it gives people an alternative look to where they can do their trading if they don't like the exchange they are using, such as MtGox who is fracked everyone over 38 million in bitcoin trading. If a normal exchange did this the securities commission would come down on them hard!

Bitcoin needs to become less as a hobby and more like a serious currency.

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
I live in Japan so I though mtgox was the most convenient exchange to use. Well, it took them 2 months to verify my account, that`s how swamped and understaffed they were. That made me too suspicious to wire them any money.

Hmm... they verified my account in 2 days, and I live outside Asia. Why your verification took so long?
Activity: 62
Merit: 0
I live in Japan so I though mtgox was the most convenient exchange to use. Well, it took them 2 months to verify my account, that`s how swamped and understaffed they were. That made me too suspicious to wire them any money.

Seems like they`ve just gotten way too big for the systems they had in place and don`t know what the fuck to do.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
I highly, highly, doubt Gox is going belly up. They handle an enormous volume both in trade and deposit/withdrawals. Obviously there is some sort of issue that needs to get solved. Maybe there is some sort of issue that only crops up with very large withdrawal volume. Either way, chill out. :-)

but this for fiat has been join of for 6 months now.

I'm sure they are near full fractional reserve now which is a polite way of saying not fiat no btc,which means no pro its tom trading either because taking 0.2% from fake fiat or fake BTC = 0 profit
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Cypress Hill ~ When The Ship Goes Down ^.^
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
If we can finally get rid of The Gox Issue once for all, that will pave the way to a solid, sustainable growth in the following months.

As far as I'm concerned they had lost my trust and I stopped using them on that famous day of April 2013 Wink
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Activity: 149
Merit: 100
In the bigger picture, I don't understand why people are surprised. There have been warning signs for years.

First, they were a playing cards exchange that jumped ship to get into this later as an after thought because it was more profitable for them.

Second, lets go back to 2011, when an auditor's account was hacked and 2000 BTC were stolen.

Third, openly manipulating the market by simply shutting down their exchange for a "cooldown" period. TWICE!

Fourth, this is not new. They have been having problems since mid 2013. Such as being sued for $75 million dollars by CoinLab and US Feds seizing $5 million in assets because they were not registered in the US as money transmitters back in May, suspending USD withdrawals in June, USD withdrawals not working when they resumed in July, a claim of massive losses in August from crediting deposits before they actually cleared. The buffer they had ran out, and now we're at where we're at.

Fifth is that their exchange rate has always been so much higher than that of all the other exchanges which more or less tracked around the same level. Now, yes, there can be variance in exchange rates dependent on local currency value and exchange volume and other such factors, but it never really did make sense that their exchange alone consistently was 20%+ better than everyone else. It always smelled of price manipulation, but most users never bothered to care because it worked in their favor, or so they thought. There is a saying: "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is!"

So whats happening now? USD withdrawals were never fixed, only got worse and effecting other fiat's too. Insolvent with millions of dollars missing. Their CEO has disappeared as of yesterday. And now BTC withdrawals are suspended. Technical issues? Yeah right. BTC was the only thing of value MtGox possessed, and that was quickly going away as everyone started buying/withdrawing coins since they couldn't get their fiat out, so of course they shut that off.

I'm sorry that a lot of people got and will get screwed. But the writing has been on the wall for a while. They are an inexperienced and shady exchange and always have been. But too many people were (and some still are, I think) in denial of this.
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067
Banks are the enemy right? Imagine if you walked into a bank and they said "sorry no withdraws our system is down until who knows when". And then it started happening at a lot of banks, and certain banks would just vanish after you deposited your money would you still have faith in the banking system? Its a big deal.

Your money does vanish when you deposit it into a bank, everyone just try and withdraw your Money on the same day  Roll Eyes

A guy who banked with HSBC recently tried to withdraw £7000 from his account to give to his mother - was told he needed a written signed letter confirming it from said mother.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
I highly, highly, doubt Gox is going belly up. They handle an enormous volume both in trade and deposit/withdrawals. Obviously there is some sort of issue that needs to get solved. Maybe there is some sort of issue that only crops up with very large withdrawal volume. Either way, chill out. :-)

Their death is long overdue though.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
This is a great time to be alive  Smiley

mah bum hurts.

that chart from earlier and that channel... time will tell

My guess is massive support 150-180 if it's there's enough 'bad' news at once.

People are overly scared so the market will go up instead....LOL.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting
mah bum hurts.

that chart from earlier and that channel... time will tell

My guess is massive support 150-180 if it's there's enough 'bad' news at once.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
BTC is going below $650... I am concerned.  Angry
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
Gox was my entry portal to btc in march. i tried to withdraw some $ in august and waited 8 weeks. nothing happened so i reconverted to BTC and promptly sent to wallet, left $2 usd there as a placeholder. All the warning signs were there that  the place was in disarray. there's a commandment laying around that i paraphrase: "If you do not answer a question properly, with good manners and in due time, you flunk."

I've lost some coin in this and other ventures but never twice, or a significant amount because i'm alert at the response time of the person/corporation i'm dealing with...

A while back i read the interview of the Gox guy... He gave the interview sitting on a bounce ball... Obviously a person totally out of his depth, perhaps semi autistic... this will delay the coming of age of the whole criptocoin ecology. Suits me fine. Gives me time to enter at cheaper prices.
Pages:
Jump to: