Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 212. (Read 908613 times)

legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
January 10, 2014, 11:50:45 PM

... Of course it is possible to avoid making money by staying away from certain exchanges, and I really don't understand why some people seem to be vigorously opposed to making a profit.  (I must admit to staying completely away from BTC-E myself, but that's mostly because I don't trust my money, and especially not bitcoin, to people hiding their identity.)

Last I remember Bitstamp was also in the same basic category.  It kept me away from both (as did the stunt of locking up peoples' BTC after posting a 'warning' on Facebook.)

Have things changed?  Is there now an actual name behind Bitstamp (and/or whatever the U.K. based shell company thingy is?)

The main thing which would give me some confidence that it is within realistic expectation that the Bitstamp crew could be hunted down is that Coinbase apparently uses them.  They've probably got enough muscle to get at least their own asses made whole if Bitstamp choose to make the 'run like hell' play.

legendary
Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002
https://bitmynt.no
January 10, 2014, 07:16:31 PM
Glad to see your still here fighting hard for gox Smiley
Never tired of fighting FUD spreading.

And congratulations on your profits.
Thanks.  I think everyone who follow this thread understand the situation by now, so why don't you go ahead and profit from it instead of complaining?  It doesn't require a genius to understand how, and it is almost free of any risk.  You don't need a Japanese bank account or the possibility of making fiat withdrawals.  It is so easy you could do it by hand, and when you get tired of that, you will write a bot to do the tedious work.  It is more accurate as well.  Of course it is possible to avoid making money by staying away from certain exchanges, and I really don't understand why some people seem to be vigorously opposed to making a profit.  (I must admit to staying completely away from BTC-E myself, but that's mostly because I don't trust my money, and especially not bitcoin, to people hiding their identity.)

The bot I wrote in two hours makes much more money than I do in my normal day job, so I am quitting my day job next month.  I have ideas for a few more advanced bots using some of the same algorithms in other ways, but mostly I will try to make a living out of my exchange operations.  That would require more time than I have when working full time in a normal job.
Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
January 10, 2014, 05:05:25 PM
And don't expect them to "return to glory" if they ever solved their "USD issues" (which they won't). mtgox fees are 2x what the rest of the exchanges offer. my guess is that the only reason people still use them is that they have their fiat hostage there and still don't want to take the hit when exiting.
Funny you mention fees.  The volume on both BTC-E and Bitstamp grew just after MtGox announced reduced fees.

I've mentioned the advantages of MtGox many times.  Those advantages have made it possible for me to turn 400 NOK into millions in less than two years.  It couldn't have been done on any other exchange due to missing features.  Don't forget Bitstamp and BTC-E are mostly gaining from panicing USSAnians.  There have been multiple panics at Bitstamp and BTC-E calmed by arbitraging bots kicking off and making the price bounce when the difference got interesting.  The panics and bounces add to their volume of course.

There are 39 million USD worth of bids at MtGox now.  When you started calling them a clowncar exchange there were 12 millions in bids.  Not a sign of a dying exchange, is it?  Every business day about 1.1 million USD worth of fiat currencies leaves MtGox via bank transfers.  MtGox would have been empty long ago unless people deposited even more.

Glad to see your still here fighting hard for gox Smiley

And congratulations on your profits.
legendary
January 10, 2014, 05:03:24 PM
And don't expect them to "return to glory" if they ever solved their "USD issues" (which they won't). mtgox fees are 2x what the rest of the exchanges offer. my guess is that the only reason people still use them is that they have their fiat hostage there and still don't want to take the hit when exiting.
Funny you mention fees.  The volume on both BTC-E and Bitstamp grew just after MtGox announced reduced fees.

I've mentioned the advantages of MtGox many times.  Those advantages have made it possible for me to turn 400 NOK into millions in less than two years.  It couldn't have been done on any other exchange due to missing features.  Don't forget Bitstamp and BTC-E are mostly gaining from panicing USSAnians.  There have been multiple panics at Bitstamp and BTC-E calmed by arbitraging bots kicking off and making the price bounce when the difference got interesting.  The panics and bounces add to their volume of course.

There are 39 million USD worth of bids at MtGox now.  When you started calling them a clowncar exchange there were 12 millions in bids.  Not a sign of a dying exchange, is it?  Every business day about 1.1 million USD worth of fiat currencies leaves MtGox via bank transfers.  MtGox would have been empty long ago unless people deposited even more.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
January 10, 2014, 04:40:39 PM
Still selling dedicated API feeds and delays in your "engine"?
legendary
January 10, 2014, 03:55:58 PM
it certainly is not 0 risk with MtGox. They have already had funds sized multiple times, don't think for a second it can't happen again!
That was in LOListan.  Land of the constantly watched.  Where MtGox is considered a serious threat to homeland security.  For now MtGox only operate in civilized parts of the world.  You may get your own funds seized if you are in the USSA, of course.  They have laws there, but that's not something the government take seriously.

Japan is completely subjugated.  When we say 'jump', they say 'how high?' (and say it in English.)  We can station marines anywhere we like and they can go off-base and rape 12 year old girls an the Japanese can do nothing about it.  Mt. Gox could be shut down, Mark sent to Gitmo, and all of their assets seized if we wished it so.  Would take a matter of hours.  Of course it would cost some political capital so it would have to be worth doing.  But it's certainly possible that it would be worth doing in times of economic crisis.

legendary
January 10, 2014, 03:39:05 PM
it certainly is not 0 risk with MtGox. They have already had funds sized multiple times, don't think for a second it can't happen again!
That was in LOListan.  Land of the constantly watched.  Where MtGox is considered a serious threat to homeland security.  For now MtGox only operate in civilized parts of the world.  You may get your own funds seized if you are in the USSA, of course.  They have laws there, but that's not something the government take seriously.
Activity: 882
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
January 10, 2014, 02:37:26 PM
legendary
January 10, 2014, 10:14:55 AM
It is obvious that when he mentioned people selling coins "Cheap" he has the mindset that MTGOX is the center of the Bitcoin universe and everything else including other exchanges' prices should revolve around MTGOX's prices.
Coins have been cheap on MtGox as well on several occations, which means I have been able to buy cheaper on MtGox than on other exchanges.  Cheap means at a much lower price than I am able to sell for.  This is by no means a MtGox centric view of anyting.  If I can buy coins cheap at MtGox, and sell at a profit on other exchanges, then MtGox users are selling the cheap coins.
legendary
January 10, 2014, 10:07:12 AM
LOL your justification of how MTGOX is "legit" as one might put it based on your obviously biased view of the business practices of GOX is quite humorous.

We all know why the price of Bitcion on MTGOX is higher. It has a lot to do with that word LIQUIDITY.

"And it operates legally..."....lol is that why MTGOX's dwolla account was siezed and frozen? Please don't make me laugh.
Make YOU laugh?  Cheesy

Mutum Sigillum's account was closed because the DHS in the USSA decided it was a threat against the country's homeland security!  Yes, it makes me laugh, but for a completely different reason than you.  MtGox operates legally in Japan, where it is located, and in the civilized parts of the world.

Do you folks have a public charting of the average time it takes users to get their money into their bank account from the time the wire is initiated to the time it posts into their accounts?
A charting service like this would be useless.  If you had been reading this thread, you would know the time depends on a whole lot of factors.  Expected transfer times are detailed on MtGox's support pages under deposits and withdrawals.  The average time is probably very short due to the speed of Japanese domestic transfer.
Activity: 697
January 10, 2014, 09:54:30 AM
When Gox does sort out its sh&%, if it ever does, we will know it quickly because the price gap between it and the other exchanges will quickly disappear.  When and if the withdrawal time lines move in line with other exchanges, how long do you think it will take the price to follow?
I give it a day or two a most before the spread disappears.

Reading some of the other posts on this page makes me wish I lived in Japan and had a Japanese bank account so I could try and take advantage of this arbitrage opportunity.
Living outside of Japan I wouldn't touch this exchange with a 10 foot pole.
legendary
January 10, 2014, 09:48:24 AM
There are a lot of good reasons to use MtGox.  Arbitrage for instance.  Buy on one exchange, sell on MtGox at 10% more, withdraw, repeat.  Domestic JPY withdrawals work smootly.  EUR as well, just quite slow.  No reason to be shocked about that.  People selling their coins for cheap at other exchanges is more shocking to me.
Arbitrage? Sure, lots of people must be doing this since there is a 12% price difference between functioning exchanges and your clowncar mtgox. Sure.
Yep, finally a good opportunity for EUR users again.  Japanese banks have been closed for a whole week for the Japanese New Year celebrations.  I expect the difference to decrease quite fast during next week, since it has become possible to move JPY again.

12% may sound attractive.. but then you deduct fees and consider that it takes one month or more to get EUR out of mtgox. 8-10%/month in "arbitrage" is, to me, not worth the risk of using that joke of an exchange.
The delay is 3-4 weeks, not one month or more.  And arbitrage is 0 risk by definition.  If you manage to make it risky, you are doing it wrong.  The delay limits how often you can get your 10% or more profit, of course.  You can easily make 3000 EUR or more on arbitrage every month using normal SEPA transfer, which means you can make a living just by doing arbitrage.  Japanese users can make a fortune.  Don't quit your job yet, however.  When Moneypolo withdrawals are enabled, I expect the prices to become more in sync again.

We are not selling coins "cheap" at other exchanges, we sell them at market price. By market price I mean the price you can sell for and actually get your funds within a day or two. mtgoxEUR and mtgoxUSD worth less than real EUR and USD. As blitz said, it's been like this since June 2013.
When I can buy from you 12% cheaper than I sell for on MtGox, you are selling cheap.  The situation has been opposite on several occations since June 2013.  It has taken a while, sometimes more than 12 hours, for other exchanges to get back in line after large dumps on MtGox.  For arbitragers with fiat reserves on MtGox, this means you can arbitrage in the opposite direction and hold to do another round when MtGox bounces back.

The only exchange where I can sell my BTC and get my money within a day is my own, btw.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
January 10, 2014, 04:40:52 AM
There are a lot of good reasons to use MtGox.  Arbitrage for instance.  Buy on one exchange, sell on MtGox at 10% more, withdraw, repeat.  Domestic JPY withdrawals work smootly.  EUR as well, just quite slow.  No reason to be shocked about that.  People selling their coins for cheap at other exchanges is more shocking to me.

Arbitrage? Sure, lots of people must be doing this since there is a 12% price difference between functioning exchanges and your clowncar mtgox. Sure.

12% may sound attractive.. but then you deduct fees and consider that it takes one month or more to get EUR out of mtgox. 8-10%/month in "arbitrage" is, to me, not worth the risk of using that joke of an exchange.

We are not selling coins "cheap" at other exchanges, we sell them at market price. By market price I mean the price you can sell for and actually get your funds within a day or two. mtgoxEUR and mtgoxUSD worth less than real EUR and USD. As blitz said, it's been like this since June 2013.

It is obvious that when he mentioned people selling coins "Cheap" he has the mindset that MTGOX is the center of the Bitcoin universe and everything else including other exchanges' prices should revolve around MTGOX's prices.

This is the where the kool-aid drinking is very apparent.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
January 10, 2014, 04:37:07 AM
I am shocked at how many people still use MTGOX for their buying and selling of Bitcoin. It appears to me as if it is one giant server of funny munny sloshing around. May as well be a MT4 trial account.
There are a lot of good reasons to use MtGox.  Arbitrage for instance.  Buy on one exchange, sell on MtGox at 10% more, withdraw, repeat.  Domestic JPY withdrawals work smootly.  EUR as well, just quite slow.  No reason to be shocked about that.  People selling their coins for cheap at other exchanges is more shocking to me.  And there is day trading on MtGox, of course.  And multi-currency trading which enables you to profit even at times when BTC/USD is dead stable.  And multiple choices of APIs for bots.  And the owner and location is known.  Its not like handing over your money to some anonymous person on the street, like with some other exchanges.  And it operates legally, so you don't risk immediate closure.  Etc, but all this has been covered before.  There is no reason to be shocked.

LOL your justification of how MTGOX is "legit" as one might put it based on your obviously biased view of the business practices of GOX is quite humorous.

We all know why the price of Bitcion on MTGOX is higher. It has a lot to do with that word LIQUIDITY.

"And it operates legally..."....lol is that why MTGOX's dwolla account was siezed and frozen? Please don't make me laugh.

Do you folks have a public charting of the average time it takes users to get their money into their bank account from the time the wire is initiated to the time it posts into their accounts?

This would be very helpful data. But of course transparency with GOX is its strong point right?
legendary
January 10, 2014, 12:47:28 AM
There are a lot of good reasons to use MtGox.  Arbitrage for instance.  Buy on one exchange, sell on MtGox at 10% more, withdraw, repeat.  Domestic JPY withdrawals work smootly.  EUR as well, just quite slow.  No reason to be shocked about that.  People selling their coins for cheap at other exchanges is more shocking to me.

I'd be really surprised if everyone paid the 'emergency fee' to get service in a timely manner.

I'll bet a dollar to a donut that certain people get decent service and a heads-up about upcoming events such that they can operate a very lucrative set of operations.  Sturle would be high on my list of suspects since it would explain his activity here.

If it is actually true that there is a limit to the amount of fiat that Mt. Gox can egress then Mt. Gox is certainly screwing people deep in the queue.  Like me.  If not, they are screwing us even worse.

Anyway it's just the free market at work so I have no real complaints...and I'm not even a Libertarian!  That's what we all want after all, right?  If an opportunity to extract some revenge comes along and I've got nothing better to do, I'll certainly jump on it.  Particularly if I can make a dime doing so.  Fair is fair.

Activity: 183
Merit: 100
January 09, 2014, 06:35:32 PM
Question: I'm now verified but my BTC withdrawal limit is still 0? is this normal?
I have no idea if it is normal or not, but you usually have to ask support for limit increases.  Both fiat and BTC.  This was written in the email I got when I verified.  Didn't you get one?

I have kept my own daily BTC withdrawal limit intentionally low in case someone try to rob me.  They may get my password and my Yubikey, but their outcome will still be limited by my daily limit.

I too am only verified. Same reason. I have ben waiting for 5-6 weeks for my withdrawal in NOK. The answer is that they have registered it, but they are still processing the withdrawals. Think they do it manually these days.
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
January 09, 2014, 03:02:45 PM
139 pages and 9 months later, Emptygox is continuing its slow, slow death.

It is now, including all of its non-USD currencies, the third largest Bitcoin exchange (excluding Huobi): http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list?currency=ALL&span=7d

Either they give people their money back or they will eventually have to close up shop.
legendary
January 09, 2014, 12:57:37 PM
Question: I'm now verified but my BTC withdrawal limit is still 0? is this normal?
I have no idea if it is normal or not, but you usually have to ask support for limit increases.  Both fiat and BTC.  This was written in the email I got when I verified.  Didn't you get one?

I have kept my own daily BTC withdrawal limit intentionally low in case someone try to rob me.  They may get my password and my Yubikey, but their outcome will still be limited by my daily limit.
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
January 09, 2014, 11:26:48 AM
So my account has finally been verified...took almost 2 months.

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
January 09, 2014, 09:25:59 AM
Requested SEPA withdraw today. Will report back when its been received.

good luck
Jump to: