Pages:
Author

Topic: My second ZEC + XMR+ ETH thread builds info links thoughts and photos. - page 97. (Read 147923 times)

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I just bought all the pieces in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfE_QidD75M.

I'm sure there are other instructions, but I found these the other day.  I used 3/4" aluminum and wood, instead of 1", to help control costs (Yes, I'm cheap like that).  I'll let everyone know how it goes, if there is interest.

Yes I want to see the build you do.
Activity: 615
Merit: 500
I just bought all the pieces in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfE_QidD75M.

I'm sure there are other instructions, but I found these the other day.  I used 3/4" aluminum and wood, instead of 1", to help control costs (Yes, I'm cheap like that).  I'll let everyone know how it goes, if there is interest.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
I am in the process of reworking my rig setup in prep for the fall.

Shout out to HerbPean  he found a good deal for me.  an arosck 81 board with ram cpu and cooler.

someone pulled some strings!!!

oups  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Grin

Yeah they are sold out now.

Biostar has a mobo out that does 6 gpus if you wanna look into that if you need more

I'm all good thanks, I bought the same deal. I never build a GPU rig, that's my first one. I bought 6 Rx470 4g.  I couldn't buy all of the same manufacturer tho. I wanted to pay BTC and i used Newegg which is limiting 1 or 2 GPU per manufacturer

I just need riser now (I need to read on that part of the rig) and I go grab some aluminium pieces for the rig. I want to find an alternative to the wood part to sit the mobo on. wood scares me for fire.
Activity: 672

Shout out to HerbPean  he found a good deal for me.  an arosck 81 board with ram cpu and cooler.

oups  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Grin

Biostar has a mobo out that does 6 gpus if you wanna look into that if you need more
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

Shout out to HerbPean  he found a good deal for me.  an arosck 81 board with ram cpu and cooler.

oups  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Grin

legendary

this will let me drop to six rigs

total of 24 cards

legendary

Shout out to HerbPean  he found a good deal for me.  an asrock 81 board with ram cpu and cooler.

No, your word if fine. I just didn't want a guess. I wanted an actual measurement.

Thanks!
Can anyone share their 'idle' power, as measured from a kill-a-watt?  All cards plugged in, just not hashing. I get 110 to 120w, and that seems high to me.

mine is actually higher sitting in the 120-135 range idle with 6 cards
can post a pic if you really want one
Can anyone share their 'idle' power, as measured from a kill-a-watt?  All cards plugged in, just not hashing. I get 110 to 120w, and that seems high to me.
@phil i have 470s modded bioses that will run 27mhs at a 5.8/mhs draw
if you want to take a look into that.
temps running in the low to high 60s

legendary
yeah  I know i need to work on linux skills.  but just not enough time.

last night a solar array miner crashed I need to drive to the array to check out why.

my s9 gear is starting to run really unreliably.

Driving the 3 miles and climbing a ladder into a hot loft  1 or 2 times a month is fine.

But doing it 2 or 3 times a week is not so fine.

I am heat capped at my house with the gpu setup.  

I sold two 2 card mobos  each has gpu ram m2 sd cooler and just needs a pair of cards.

I purchased this mobo as a replacement
it has 3 full slots and 2 riser slots
it would allow for a 3-5 card build.
  I want four since it would replace the two 2 card mobos.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157672

I really like that Mobo a lot Phil.  In fact, that was on my short list had I ended up with an 1151 socket CPU for my initial build. But, I thought that when I asked it about around a week ago, the feedback was that Z170 MoBo's would not support any more than 5 CPUs, which kind of knocked it down on my list since I want to try for 5.  Will be very interesting to see if you can get 5 GPU's running on this thing. If you do, I will likely pick one up for my 2nd build and dedicate it solely to ETH mining. I'm leaning towards exclusive XMR mining on my first rig with the i7-6800K as I have read posts from you and others indicating it's not the best idea to dual mine on the same rig. Looking forward to see what you can do with that ASRock Z170 Extreme3!

Late and a long long long day.

This board runs three cards with ease.  Two rx 470 and a rx 480.

I do not have the fourth card it comes tomorrow. Will soon see if I can do four
Activity: 600
Merit: 261

last night a solar array miner crashed I need to drive to the array to check out why.

Driving the 3 miles and climbing a ladder into a hot loft  1 or 2 times a month is fine.

I sold two 2 card mobos  each has gpu ram m2 sd cooler and just needs a pair of cards.

I really like that Mobo a lot Phil.  In fact, that was on my short list had I ended up with an 1151 socket CPU for my initial build. But, I thought that when I asked it about around a week ago, the feedback was that Z170 MoBo's would not support any more than 5 CPUs, which kind of knocked it down on my list since I want to try for 5.  Will be very interesting to see if you can get 5 GPU's running on this thing. If you do, I will likely pick one up for my 2nd build and dedicate it solely to ETH mining. I'm leaning towards exclusive XMR mining on my first rig with the i7-6800K as I have read posts from you and others indicating it's not the best idea to dual mine on the same rig. Looking forward to see what you can do with that ASRock Z170 Extreme3!
legendary
Thanks, Phil. Your explanation makes sense.

What kind of enclosure are you going to use for a mixed approach? 

I may build a wood/aluminum open air frame. I saw a video on YouTube on how to build one

All wood  I have a wooden breakfast tray.

I will post photos
Thanks, Phil. Your explanation makes sense.

What kind of enclosure are you going to use for a mixed approach? 

I may build a wood/aluminum open air frame. I saw a video on YouTube on how to build one
legendary

So there is enough clearance under the slotted cards to fit the riser cables? I've been wondering this myself. Please confirm.

board is due to arrive today.

I will take the cards from the other setups and see if I can get 4 or 5 cards to fire up.

based on my biostar z170 I think one riser will allow a fit see below
one with blank arrow would be a maybe
last one would not work thus no arrow

So there is enough clearance under the slotted cards to fit the riser cables? I've been wondering this myself. Please confirm.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
The one major problem with "cloning" under LINUX is the xorg.conf file - if the cards don't end up on the same pci-E addresses, it messes up.

Oddly enough, they do NOT have to be the same model card, or even all that close, as long as the card at each address can use the same driver - so any AMD card HD7750 and up if you're using recent enough drivers can replace any other in that group, and pretty much any NVidia GTX-series card (though if you're using drivers recent enough to support the 10xx series you ARE somewhat limited in HOW OLD you can go) form a group.

Autostart is a lot easier to set up if you use the XFCE desktop instead of the Ubuntu-default "Trinity" thing - XFCE makes "autostart AFTER X has started up" a very easy thing to set up, which is critical for some software that needs the X drivers running before *IT* starts.

good pointers QuintLeo.... like Philip, I am a newbie in Linux but learning something new everyday.

I could get the auto start to work - I tried to edit the local rc file but that didnt get me any where.
legendary

Pages:
Jump to: