Pages:
Author

Topic: My wife is a hero: mom shoots intruder 5 times, saves kids - page 4. (Read 9440 times)

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
Here is a video of an attempted armed robbery in a restaurant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsVCHE7ayPE

Somebody picked the wrong diner.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
And damned expensive, hard to get in the US, and not very concealable.
1.  don't be cheap with home security (you can get for $1500), most people complain about the ammo prices though (and I say "don't waste too many bullets then".   That being said, I do not care that it took $15 worth of ammo to save my kids life and an AR15 could have done it for $7.....
2.  not hard at all.  only for a few months when people jacked AR prices up to $1800 because of the panic over regulation which never happened.
3.  better not to conceal what you are about to kill someone with that is threatening your life.   Not your "out and about on the town" type of defense.

The P90 is hard to get, because it requires a Class III weapons license, due to the fact that it's manufactured with a 12" barrel.  Perhaps you intended the PS90?

And it's very expensive compared to a 38 special handgun or a 22 rifle, both of which would serve quite well with practice.  And the price difference can pay for a lot of ammo for practice.  I personally carry a Sig Sauger Mosquito, a compact semi-auto chambered in 22lr.  The ammo is cheap and I can hit the target quite quickly, and I don't have to worry about a red mark on my forehead from recoil.

And it's better to conceal a weapon if you're leaving your house, because one doesn't really want to either alarm the liberals in a crowd or to alert the criminal to your defensive capacities.  Or do you think that defense of one's family only applies inside the home?
I have a question for you. This is unrelated to the topic of P90/weapon choice (upon which I agree with you), but a question on gun related theory in general. First, I want to say that I am not in FAVOR of gun control, but I also DON'T despise it. So, my question is, would like a society in which everyone carries a gun? Or at least, every adult male? I mean sure, I understand that you believe it is important to protect your family, but do you not think that if every man in, say, a restaurant had a gun, and every one of them was inclined to use it if a break-in happened, do you not think it would increase the chance of stray shot(s) killing people rather than the chance that the robber actually has the intention to kill someone if they just cooperate?

A number of adult females already carry guns, and I would prefer every sane woman carry and train with a couple, exclusively of what men do. If the extremely rare criminal with no self-preservation instinct decides to commit armed robbery in a society where everyone except children are armed, then they will be doing so to not only commit suicide, but hope that a crossfire happens. It is up to every sane adult to follow the firearm safety rule on "know what's beyond your target", not get tunnel vision, and avoid crossfire (and if anyone notices a crossfire potential, to shout "watch your crossfire!" repeatedly until trajectories are made safe).

Plus, in the case of a restaurant, typically most will be sitting down, and the rest will either be 1) in line 2) waiters, cooks, bartenders, etc 3) people paying and going to the bathroom, all standing up. The typical robbery is committed with very shallow penetration into the building, so those standing at the front will either take or give fire first, before anyone else can react. If it gets past the front, those seated will have an up-angle shot at the robber, and should have a clear sight picture, able to avoid hitting other seated people.
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
Armscor has a new 1911 with 22 TCM ammo. Very nice. Google it for details. I don't know for sure but it may perform like the FiveSeven.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
1.  don't be cheap with home security (you can get for $1500), most people complain about the ammo prices though (and I say "don't waste too many bullets then".   That being said, I do not care that it took $15 worth of ammo to save my kids life and an AR15 could have done it for $7.....
2.  not hard at all.  only for a few months when people jacked AR prices up to $1800 because of the panic over regulation which never happened.
3.  better not to conceal what you are about to kill someone with that is threatening your life.   Not your "out and about on the town" type of defense.

The P90 is hard to get, because it requires a Class III weapons license, due to the fact that it's manufactured with a 12" barrel.  Perhaps you intended the PS90?

And it's very expensive compared to a 38 special handgun or a 22 rifle, both of which would serve quite well with practice.  And the price difference can pay for a lot of ammo for practice.  I personally carry a Sig Sauger Mosquito, a compact semi-auto chambered in 22lr.  The ammo is cheap and I can hit the target quite quickly, and I don't have to worry about a red mark on my forehead from recoil.

And it's better to conceal a weapon if you're leaving your house, because one doesn't really want to either alarm the liberals in a crowd or to alert the criminal to your defensive capacities.  Or do you think that defense of one's family only applies inside the home?
I have a question for you. This is unrelated to the topic of P90/weapon choice (upon which I agree with you), but a question on gun related theory in general. First, I want to say that I am not in FAVOR of gun control, but I also DON'T despise it. So, my question is, would like a society in which everyone carries a gun? Or at least, every adult male? I mean sure, I understand that you believe it is important to protect your family, but do you not think that if every man in, say, a restaurant had a gun, and every one of them was inclined to use it if a break-in happened, do you not think it would increase the chance of stray shot(s) killing people rather than the chance that the robber actually has the intention to kill someone if they just cooperate?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000
the reason why we don't need guns in Europe is that we are smart enough to leave the house through the backyard.
legendary
Activity: 4494
Merit: 3178
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
5 Headshots and still no kill.... Huh
I tought I get unlucky in Battlefield 3....
Now you know why I laugh when people call these games "realistic". The brain (which is what you're trying to hit) is relatively small compared to the rest of the head, and is well-protected by the skull, which has an annoying tendency to harmlessly deflect bullets which strike at an angle. A headshot has to be delivered very precisely to result in an instant kill. Many suicide attempters find that out the hard way.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010

And it's very expensive compared to a 38 special handgun or a 22 rifle, both of which would serve quite well with practice.  And the price difference can pay for a lot of ammo for practice.  I personally carry a Sig Sauger Mosquito, a compact semi-auto chambered in 22lr.  The ammo is cheap and I can hit the target quite quickly, and I don't have to worry about a red mark on my forehead from recoil.

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
1.  don't be cheap with home security (you can get for $1500), most people complain about the ammo prices though (and I say "don't waste too many bullets then".   That being said, I do not care that it took $15 worth of ammo to save my kids life and an AR15 could have done it for $7.....
2.  not hard at all.  only for a few months when people jacked AR prices up to $1800 because of the panic over regulation which never happened.
3.  better not to conceal what you are about to kill someone with that is threatening your life.   Not your "out and about on the town" type of defense.
legendary
>fired six bullets at the suspect, five of which hit alleged suspect Paul Ali Slater in the face and neck area.
>He was taken to a nearby hospital and is expected to survive.

Guy must be made of steel

Too bad the Amber Lamps got there in time.   Cheesy

Mom needs a bigger gun!  Bet she gets a .45 or 12 gauge ASAP.

She doesn't need a bigger gun.  She obviously knows how to use that one quite well.  To be able to put all five rounds loaded in a 38 special and hit a target the size of a melon from across a room, particularly while hyped up on adrenaline, is the halmark of a sharpshooter.  Furthermore, the most effective (not most deadly) handgun calibers, statisticly speaking, are the .380 automatic followed by the 22LR.  In every defensive case, your goal is to get the attacker to stop, not necessarily to kill them.  With that in mind, the above small calibers are well known for accuracy as well as their ability for follow-up shots.  The most important factor in a defensive handgun caliber is your personal ability to hit what you are shooting at, everything else is a secondary consideration.  Also, statisicly, the 45 is a terrible choice for a defensive handgun, because the recoil is so harsh that nearly everyone under 6' 2" and 240 lbs has trouble bringing the sights back onto target for a follow-up shot in any speedy fashion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr14xVetXM
P90 is the greatest home defense weapon for woman and kids and they have 50 rounds in case they miss.   Light weight, no kick to speak of, great for lefties and not intimidating to learn. 

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
>fired six bullets at the suspect, five of which hit alleged suspect Paul Ali Slater in the face and neck area.

She doesn't need a bigger gun.  She obviously knows how to use that one quite well.  To be able to put all five rounds loaded in a 38 special and hit a target the size of a melon from across a room, particularly while hyped up on adrenaline, is the halmark of a sharpshooter.  Furthermore, the most effective (not most deadly) handgun calibers, statisticly speaking, are the .380 automatic followed by the 22LR.  In every defensive case, your goal is to get the attacker to stop, not necessarily to kill them.  With that in mind, the above small calibers are well known for accuracy as well as their ability for follow-up shots.  The most important factor in a defensive handgun caliber is your personal ability to hit what you are shooting at, everything else is a secondary consideration.  Also, statisicly, the 45 is a terrible choice for a defensive handgun, because the recoil is so harsh that nearly everyone under 6' 2" and 240 lbs has trouble bringing the sights back onto target for a follow-up shot in any speedy fashion.
P90 is the greatest home defense weapon for woman and kids and they have 50 rounds in case they miss.   Light weight, no kick to speak of, great for lefties and not intimidating to learn. 
legendary
Well, cops don't like to deal with living witnesses that could afford lawyers knowing the department will shoulder all the legal expenses.

People just want to protect their families. However, if it's justified to begin with, I'll keep shooting until the threat has stopped; unfortunately for the bad guy, that might mean more than is needed cuz he still looks like he's a threat.

This study, by it's design, excludes any shooting that the police themselves can claim is justified.  So this only includes cases of homicide by police, that even the police weren't willing to sweep under the rug.  Intuitively, the real odds of being killed by a police officer are higher if one were to also include on the job shootings.  Since CCW license holders don't have an on-the-job justifiable shooting catagory, such a comparison wouldn't really be valid.
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
5 Headshots and still no kill.... Huh
I tought I get unlucky in Battlefield 3....
Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Yes, I totally agree. You do NOT need a big gun for self defense, you need one you can shoot ACCURATELY.
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
Well, cops don't like to deal with living witnesses that could afford lawyers knowing the department will shoulder all the legal expenses.

People just want to protect their families. However, if it's justified to begin with, I'll keep shooting until the threat has stopped; unfortunately for the bad guy, that might mean more than is needed cuz he still looks like he's a threat.
legendary
Notablely, I stumbled upon this article...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/10/dean-weingarten/cops-more-likely-to-murder%e2%80%a8/

That attempts to compare the murder rate of sworn police officers against the murder rate of licensed concelled carry permit holders.  The not very official rate of police officers that committed unjustifiable homicides, while working or otherwise, is around 1.5 per 100,000.  Which if they were a nation amongst themselves, would make them safer and more trustworthy than Germans.  One would expect such a law & order group to be upstanding.  But here's the unexpected part, the rate of concelled carry permit holders that commit homicides (with a firearm or otherwise) is just over 0.5 per 100,000; making the self-selecting lot of those who pursue such a permit the most trustworthy group in the world.

EDIT: In the interests of disclosures of biases, I am among that self-selecting group.

EDIT: It appears that those above numbers were for domestic homicides, not all homicides; but the trend remains true.
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
Ok. Not reading it all. I'm just cheering for the mother! Woot! Go mom!
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
Gasp, a government manipulating statistics to make its subjects believe it's perfectly fine to prohibit the right to effective self-defense!? That doesn't happen every day...
legendary
 No mention of kidnapping, is that not a crime in Germany?
I'm not sure what's included in the category "Straftaten gegen die persönliche Freiheit" (crimes against personal freedom).
That's 211643 victims there. That's a lot of victims.
(edit: that includes kidnapping, trafficking, stalking, threatening and "Nötigung"(coercion?))

A better question, is would "crimes against personal freedom" be considered a violent crime?  If it is not in Germany, that's enough to move the numbers to nearly even, since kidnapping is certainly counted as a violent crime.  I'm pretty sure that any of those "crimes against personal freedom" would be a catagory of violent crime here.  Definitions matter a great deal in the context of statistics.  How can we even compare countries that report the same crime as entirely different classes of crimes?

Wait, brandishing a firearm isn't a crime?  Undoubtedly that number is too low to be relevent, but what else isn't part of German crime stats?  If you pull out a weapon to threaten another person here, that's already assualt even if the threat is hollow.
That's at least "offence against the weapon act". Probably "threatening".

Okay, would those be considered violent crimes?  They are here.  I'm gaining new insight into why it is that European nations appear so safe statisticly, while the US appears so violent.  It seems to be, in part, because your governments don't regard some common types of social crimes to be violent in nature, while ours generally do.  If someone called you on the phone and threatened you with bodily harm, would the threat alone be a violent crime in Germany?  It would in Kentucky, and I'm pretty sure that's generally true in the United States.  I know it's also true in California, Ohio, Indiana & Tennessee at least.  It's likely to be true in every state that my Kentucky State Deadly Weapons Permit is honored, which today is well over half of all of the states last I checked.
Activity: 675
Merit: 514
 No mention of kidnapping, is that not a crime in Germany?
I'm not sure what's included in the category "Straftaten gegen die persönliche Freiheit" (crimes against personal freedom).
That's 211643 victims there. That's a lot of victims.
(edit: that includes kidnapping, trafficking, stalking, threatening and "Nötigung"(coercion?))

Wait, brandishing a firearm isn't a crime?  Undoubtedly that number is too low to be relevent, but what else isn't part of German crime stats?  If you pull out a weapon to threaten another person here, that's already assualt even if the threat is hollow.
That's at least "offence against the weapon act". Probably "threatening".
legendary
http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/pdf/cik_2012.pdf

Here is the link to the comparable document for Kentucky.  Interestingly, they don't produce a crime rate, only an absolute number of offences.  For all of Kentucky during 2012, the total number of crimes that are considered violent (i.e. Assault, Homicide, Kidnapping, Robbery, and Rape) is 36,965.  According to Wikipedia, Kentucky's population was 4,380,415 on July 1, 2012.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky#Demographics)

36,965 /4,380,415 = 0.0084386981598775 or 843.9 per 100K.  Did I do that right?

According to page 2 of your submitted document, total violent crime in Germany was 195,143 in 2012. This includes, as stated, Murder & Manslaughter, Rape & violent sexual crimes, Robberies, and Dangerous Bodiliy Injury (which I will assume is comparable to assault here).  No mention of kidnapping, is that not a crime in Germany?

According to Wikipedia again, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Germany) Germany had a population of 80,219,695 during the official census of 2011.  Which seems the most current numbers available, so we'll run with that.

195,143 / 80,219,695 = 0.0024326071047765 or 243.3 per 100K.

Assuming we have good numbers, and there is no reason that I can see to assume we do not, and assuming I did that correctly, (I'm sure that if I did not, someone will mention it) we would have to assume that a German is about a quarter as likely to be a victim of a violent crime, randomly speaking, than a Kentuckian.  I must say, I did not expect that outcome.

EDIT::  Wait, brandishing a firearm isn't a crime?  Undoubtedly that number is too low to be relevent, but what else isn't part of German crime stats?  If you pull out a weapon to threaten another person here, that's already assualt even if the threat is hollow.  If you threaten someone bodily harm over the phone, it's terroristic threatening, which is a violent crime here also, filed under the catargory of assault.

EDIT2: Wow, I didn't know there was such an epidemic of kidnappings in Kentucky.  Another damn good reason to own a handgun.  Not enough to alter the overall outcome even if Germany's kidnapping rate was as bad, though.  I also noticed that both violations of gun possession regulations (i.e. getting caught with a handgun in public without a permit to carry) or getting caught with a gun in your possession while committing a federal drug violation (i.e. caught growing pot in the woods, and there is a shotgun in your truck) is almost always (I say almost, because I'm sure it's not a perfect corrolation) an automatic charge of assualt of a police officer.  There are certainly enough drugs and guns in Kentucky to make that combonation into a data changer, but I have no way of filtering out the real crimes here from the charges that police stack up on a perp.  These stats are not convictions, so the charges alone would contribute to the "crime rate".
Pages:
Jump to: