Author

Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet - page 105. (Read 586242 times)

Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
February 12, 2014, 02:25:52 AM
Here's a question. My Mycellium wallet received some of these Enjoy/Sochi spam/dust transactions for 1 satoshi each that have been going around. However, not enough fees were included in these transactions so they will likely never confirm.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xin5m/suspicious_lots_of_bitcoin_wallets_just_received/

If I now send an outgoing transaction from my wallet, is Mycellium smart enough to not use inputs from these unconfirmed transactions? If not then we have a denial-of-service problem because I will have generated a transaction that will be stuck and also unconfirmed.

This is exactly the behavior I saw happen in my Electrum wallet today as well (which did try to spend the input from these spam/unconfirmed transactions) and it sounds like their developers will be fixing it.

I'm about 90% certain that it tries to spend confirmed transactions first. In any case, I have been able to send bitcoins 3 times today, despite having five of those dust things in my wallet still unconfirmed.
Attending the Berlin conference... I sent quite a few too many transactions yesterday at Room77 (with my 2 unconfirmed spam transactions), the beer was good though  Wink
Mycelium never spends unconfirmed transactions sent from a foreign address.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
February 12, 2014, 12:36:27 AM
Here's a question. My Mycellium wallet received some of these Enjoy/Sochi spam/dust transactions for 1 satoshi each that have been going around. However, not enough fees were included in these transactions so they will likely never confirm.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xin5m/suspicious_lots_of_bitcoin_wallets_just_received/

If I now send an outgoing transaction from my wallet, is Mycellium smart enough to not use inputs from these unconfirmed transactions? If not then we have a denial-of-service problem because I will have generated a transaction that will be stuck and also unconfirmed.

This is exactly the behavior I saw happen in my Electrum wallet today as well (which did try to spend the input from these spam/unconfirmed transactions) and it sounds like their developers will be fixing it.

I'm about 90% certain that it tries to spend confirmed transactions first. In any case, I have been able to send bitcoins 3 times today, despite having five of those dust things in my wallet still unconfirmed.
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Thank you! Thank you! ...
February 11, 2014, 11:03:02 PM

Activity: 854
Merit: 658
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
February 11, 2014, 09:19:08 PM
Quick question, does Mycelium periodically refresh the balance when the app is left open? If it's not, that would be a nice thing.
It isn't. The balance automatically refreshes when the main screens are opened (showing the tabs Keys, Balance, Tx history, Address book). But, automatic refresh would be nice, and even better real-time notifications... working,  working, working on improvements  Smiley
No need to overwork yourself Wink It seems to me like implementing automatic refresh every minute while it is the top app open would be simple enough, notifications, not so much lol.
Jan
legendary
February 11, 2014, 09:05:09 PM
Quick question, does Mycelium periodically refresh the balance when the app is left open? If it's not, that would be a nice thing.
It isn't. The balance automatically refreshes when the main screens are opened (showing the tabs Keys, Balance, Tx history, Address book). But, automatic refresh would be nice, and even better real-time notifications... working,  working, working on improvements  Smiley
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
February 11, 2014, 09:01:39 PM
Jan
legendary
February 11, 2014, 08:46:41 PM
I just saw a Mycelium wallet misbehave heavily: a transaction was shown as sending only the fee, not the rest. However, on the block chain, it was sent. Mycelium balance was then out of sync with the block chain.

Didn't happen on my device, so I don't have more details right now. But naturally I'm suspecting mutated transactions to be involved.

Erm, somewhat bad timing with this whole bitcoin-wide attack thing. The guys may be on their way to Berlin as we speak, so probably won't get a chance to look at things till later. I asked them for feedback on whether Mycelium is affected by this thing. Will let you know soon as I hear back.
While the malleability 'attack' is raging all wallets (including bitcoin-qt) are affected, but in a minimal way.

This gets a bit technical: When you send a transaction you (most of the time) send change back to one of your own addresses. This is pretty normal and happens all the time. Because wallets may choose to spend this change (especially if the wallet is running low) a new transaction (created before your previous transaction confirmed), may reference outputs that are not valid because of the malleability attach. Gah... this is hard to explain in few words...

In other words: If you are sending transactions in rapid succession before your previous transactions confirm you risk that a second transaction gets invalid, as in "will never confirm". This will continue to be an issue until the malleability 'attack' subsides or the Bitcoin protocol disallows malleable transactions.

Jan
legendary
February 11, 2014, 08:35:06 PM
I just saw a Mycelium wallet misbehave heavily: a transaction was shown as sending only the fee, not the rest. However, on the block chain, it was sent. Mycelium balance was then out of sync with the block chain.

Didn't happen on my device, so I don't have more details right now. But naturally I'm suspecting mutated transactions to be involved.
When you see sending/receiving in the main balance view Mycelium reports how your balance is currently affected positive/negative. If you are sending to your self your balance will be affected negatively by the amount you send and positively by the amount you receive. The remainder is the fee. If you only see the fee I guess that you are sending coins to yourself. If you want to know for sure what is happening you can go into the tx history, click a transaction, and "Show Details". There you will see which addresses send and receives coins.
legendary
February 11, 2014, 05:32:48 PM

Erm, somewhat bad timing with this whole bitcoin-wide attack thing. The guys may be on their way to Berlin as we speak, so probably won't get a chance to look at things till later. I asked them for feedback on whether Mycelium is affected by this thing. Will let you know soon as I hear back.
legendary
Activity: 1036
February 11, 2014, 05:12:18 PM

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
February 08, 2014, 10:48:26 PM

This is linked to a project that I am the escrow agent. Sadly I don't have an android phone, but to make the case for message signing is very important.

Message signing is an important aspect of the bitcoin protocol, it is something that you will either use everyday of your life, like me. Or you may never use due to the nature of the business you do. Anytime you have a disconnect from users and the transactions, or a lot of transactions on one address it is important to utilize address signing. It gives you an identity that is cross those disconnects. Just like pgp keys allow a user to prove ones identity or that they have release software, message signing allows you to prove you have moved funds. As you can see in the link proved we can now link bitcointalk users to the amount of shares of a crowdfunding project they have while also have the authority to get a refund address, while knowing what funds belong to them.

Message signing is a simple yet very powerful feature that should be in every client that can provide it. I highly suggest you can add it your client, as this will help you move into an area that will attract power users like myself.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
February 09, 2014, 09:50:18 AM
I implemented message signing for mycelium. It is very very likely that it is part of the next feature release.
We also use signing for other stuff internally
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
February 08, 2014, 09:39:30 PM
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
February 08, 2014, 04:18:08 PM
Thanks for letting us know what you think is missing out. We will increase message signing priority.
The thing is that we are all using Bitcoin for different things. I have actually only had to sign a message once, so I kinda thought that this was the norm.
Please continue to tell us what you think is the most important focus area.
Thanks for being great devs <3
Jan
legendary
February 08, 2014, 04:04:24 PM
Thanks for letting us know what you think is missing out. We will increase message signing priority.
The thing is that we are all using Bitcoin for different things. I have actually only had to sign a message once, so I kinda thought that this was the norm.
Please continue to tell us what you think is the most important focus area.
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
February 08, 2014, 03:52:10 PM
I noticed some discussion about message signing in the beginning of this thread; any progress on that?  It's the only way to prove you own your address without spending from it.  I'd rather not have to import the private key to another client just to sign the message, but have required on at least two different occasions to prove my ownership of my Mycelium address and couldn't, so had to use one on my client and wait until I returned home to conduct my transaction.  Very inconvenient.

This, I had to send coins from a blockchain.info address because I couldn't sign messages from my phone. Pretty annoying.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
February 08, 2014, 08:39:34 AM
I noticed some discussion about message signing in the beginning of this thread; any progress on that?  It's the only way to prove you own your address without spending from it.  I'd rather not have to import the private key to another client just to sign the message, but have required on at least two different occasions to prove my ownership of my Mycelium address and couldn't, so had to use one on my client and wait until I returned home to conduct my transaction.  Very inconvenient.

legendary
February 08, 2014, 01:38:03 AM
Hi everybody! I'm going to start doing weekly posts, showcasing one Mycelium feature I find interesting, and updating on what's going on with our team and development. We have tons of awesome stuff being worked on!

So, without further ado, this is the feature that first got me into Mycelium (and impressed the heck out of me at the San Jose conference):

Spending from cold/paper wallet

1. Take out printout of private key
2. In Mycelium, go to the Menu is the top right corner (three vertical dots)
3. Select Cold Storage
4. Press QR Code, and scan the private key of your paper wallet.

This loads the private key into your phone's secure memory, but does not save it to your storage.

5. Proceed to spend as normal, entering the Bitcoin address from either the QR code or clipboard, and entering the amount. Note - Mycelium will retrieve the balance of your paper wallet and will show that once you click the Enter Amount keyboard button (I asked the guys if they could make the balance a bit more prominent).
6. Hit send, and Mycelium Wallet will broadcast your transaction, send all the remaining change back to the paper wallet, and wipe the private key from your phone's memory.

This is a pretty great way to spend money from secure cold storage, without relying on a separate computer (as in Armory/Electrum) or a hardware wallet device (Trezzor). It's not as secure as offline signing, but it's much better than a wallet kept on your computer. When Jan first demoed this for me, he whipped out a private key on a folded business card stored in his pocket, spent money from it, and stuck it back into his pocket, with his phone posing no risk to his bitcoins.

In the news, the Mycelium team is traveling to the Inside Bitcoins conference in Berlin (but I won't be). While there, they will be unveiling a rather exciting and important new service that will be built right into the Mycelium Wallet. I regret not being able to go, because this new thing of theirs is really awesome, is related to a bunch of recent news, is very important for bitcoin's ecosystem and may help speed up adoption immensely, and I would have been promoting the hell out of it even if I wasn't a part of the team. So if you are going to the conference, make sure to find the Mycelium guys and pester them with questions! (I won't be paid unless you pin them against a wall and ask them all about it Cry)
And if you can't make it to the conference (It's €445!!!), don't fret. I'll still fill you in on the whole thing right here. I can't wait!
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
February 04, 2014, 06:51:41 AM
(Personally, I love the satisfying coin jingling sound of the other wallet every time I get money Cheesy)

Exactly!  Smiley Thanks!
Jump to: