Author

Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet - page 103. (Read 586242 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
February 23, 2014, 12:50:11 AM
Time for another *cough-semi-cough* weekly Mycelium feature demo, as well as update on what's going on behind the scenes!

Setting up a Watch-Only address in Mycelium:

First, make sure that you have enabled Expert Mode in Mycelium by going to Settings in the drop-down menu from the main screen, scrolling down to ADVANCED SETTINGS, and turning on the check box next to "Expert Mode."

This will enable key management in the section to the left of the main screen. To get to it, swipe left-to-right. You can set up a watch-only address in one of two ways.

If the address is not in your wallet yet:

After swiping to the KEYS section of the wallet, find and click the Add Key icon at the top right of the screen

If you have a paper wallet, hit "Scan" and scan only the public key. Or if you can copy/paste the key from your phone, select Clipboard to import it. This will import only the public key, creating a watch-only address. You can tell which addresses in your wallet have private (spendable) keys and which do not by the key icon next to the address. As you can see, the key imported in this example does not have that icon, and thus no bitcoins can be spent from it.

Whether you have Aggregated View enabled or not (more on that next time), simply highlighting the address in the list selects it as the default address, allowing you to receive payments to it (note the "Send" button is now missing).

If you already have a bitcoin address in your wallet, and want to make it a Watch-Only address:

(MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF THE PRIVATE KEY SOMEWHERE BEFORE PROCEEDING)

In the list of keys, find the address you wish to make Watch-Only, and highlight it. The bar at the top will change to blue, adding options such as Label and Archive. This also changes the functionality of the dropdown menu (the three vertical dots). Click the dropdown menu, and select Delete

In the menu that pops up, asking if you wish to delete the private key, turn on the checkbox for "Keep as read-only..."

Once you click Yes, and confirm, the address's private key will be deleted, and you will be left with only a watch-only address, which you can select as the default receiving address in the same way as in instructions above.

This option allows you to add addresses you wish to keep an eye on to keep track of balances, carry secure addresses to receive payments on that you don't want to get stolen, or even do things like allowing waiters and sales staff to accept payments from customers on multiple devices, without worrying about any of them having direct access to the received funds (yes, we're discussing about future POS options too).

Now, for the Things We're Working On Now updates:

The next release will include pricing sources from Bitstamp, BTC-E, Kraken, BTC China, Coinbase, and Bitpay. These have been added to the beta version, and are undergoing testing. Note, MtGox is now gone (apologies to those who will miss it). For now, we believe having it there will only confuse newbies.
Message signing has been added and is undergoing testing as well.
We've added Hebrew, French, and Korean translations.
Finally, exchange rates will be MUCH faster at showing up and refreshing, thanks to an upgrade to our servers on the back end.

Progress on Local Trader is also progressing nicely, with Jan and Andreas working diligently on it, and we still expect to have the beta version out some time within a week. HD Wallets (BIP32) is another major feature that has been heavily requested (not just in Mycelium), and last week Jan and Andreas spent most of one of the Berlin Conference days discussing how to implement and standardize it with the head developers of other major wallets. So, there is definite progress on this, though the most we can promise at this point is that it will be implemented "at some time." Hopefully soon.

As usual, if you want to see any features added, or have any concerns or questions, please let us know!

(This message added to Reddit as well. Please help by upvoting)
legendary
February 22, 2014, 11:49:14 PM
Mycelium needs its own sub-forum!
Agreed, but thermos gonna be thermos.

I am holding 700 of Thermos's BTC for him...  Tongue
Activity: 854
Merit: 658
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
February 22, 2014, 07:03:50 PM
Agreed, but thermos gonna be thermos.
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571
February 22, 2014, 03:41:00 PM
legendary
February 21, 2014, 10:25:43 PM
Do you plan on supporting BIP 70-73, and when?

Planning eventually, since everyone will be using it eventually, but not any time soon. First we have to finish LocalTrader, then we need to add BIP32 HD wallets, then we can focus of 70-73.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
February 21, 2014, 09:16:12 PM
Next release will feature Coinbase, BitPay and Kraken as exchange sources (in addition to Bitstamp, BTC China and BTC-E). MtGox however is going out.
Would you be upset if MtGox is no longer available?

Nope. Permaban, as they've had so many strikes, they should be out of bitcoindom until the heat death of the universe.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
February 21, 2014, 05:47:08 PM

I personally wouldn't miss it, and I definitely think it should not be included when calculating the averages, but until it has truly tanked, some of your customers may want it in their option list.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
February 21, 2014, 03:58:02 PM

Absolutely not!

+1
Activity: 854
Merit: 658
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
February 21, 2014, 02:51:59 PM
Do you plan on supporting BIP 70-73, and when?
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
February 21, 2014, 11:23:13 AM

Absolutely not!
Activity: 475
Merit: 255
February 21, 2014, 11:20:05 AM
Next release will feature Coinbase, BitPay and Kraken as exchange sources (in addition to Bitstamp, BTC China and BTC-E). MtGox however is going out.

I would not miss it.
Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
February 21, 2014, 11:15:49 AM

Activity: 668
Merit: 501
February 20, 2014, 11:11:10 AM
as requested, we now have message signing.

live on testnet and github. if YOU (our testers) give us the feedback, we can start to roll that out soon.

https://plus.google.com/107839384289577985803/posts/PTQ9kgWnqBK

https://github.com/mycelium-com/wallet/releases/tag/v1.1.7

if possible, test message signing with bitcoin-qt in testnet and with other clients that have testnet support.
February 19, 2014, 11:22:12 AM
This was suggested before... and rejected as they do not want to be dependent on a third party.

Oh, didn't know or remember. Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
February 19, 2014, 11:12:53 AM
Please consider adding BitcoinAverage as a price source, and possibly as the default one - that would automatically resolve any temporary issue with any exchange site.

This was suggested before... and rejected as they do not want to be dependent on a third party.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
February 19, 2014, 05:06:56 AM
"Lets talk bitcoin" said this was already active but I can not find the “Transaction Confidence” graph and no update in google play app?
no it is not active yet. we will publish testnet versions soon™
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
February 19, 2014, 01:32:08 AM
"Lets talk bitcoin" said this was already active but I can not find the “Transaction Confidence” graph and no update in google play app?
February 18, 2014, 02:20:44 PM
Please consider adding BitcoinAverage as a price source, and possibly as the default one - that would automatically resolve any temporary issue with any exchange site.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
February 16, 2014, 03:41:18 PM
That's a really cool feature.  I love this wallet.  Now if only I could sign messages with it...

I implemented message signing for mycelium. It is very very likely that it is part of the next feature release.
We also use signing for other stuff internally

You'll get both, the cool feature, and message signing Cheesy

Well doesn't that just beat all? 

Indeed.

I love this wallet. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000
My money; Our Bitcoin.
February 13, 2014, 05:08:55 PM
Hi MyCelium people, good work on trading stuff but I heard you're using a tx radar for giving confidence to traders who receive BTC.

I think this is an extremely bad idea, as txs can be replaced after 100% propagation has been achieved by sending higher fee txs to replace the one you made. This attack only needs to work 1% of the time to be profitable but in reality can work much more (maybe even 100%) if pulled off correctly. You don't even need to tell the whole BTC network, just a few specific miners.

For instance if I submit my replacement tx to eligius using their web interface, then make the trade before eligius mines a block, if eligius mines a block it won't include the tx that got 100% propagation because that would've been rejected by eligius.

I suggest you remove this feature, and only using it for senders of BTC (not recipients).

The localbitcoins thing otherwise looks excellent. Thanks for this contribution. I don't mean to beat on this parade and be so negative, I like your work.
Thanks for your input Amir. The transaction confidence is not only based on network propagation, and never reaches 100%.
Here is what we look at:
- network propagation. We are listening to 500+ nodes
- length of the chain of unconfirmed transactions. If you tx depends on one unconfirmed output the confidence is halved. Halving for each link in the chain
- size of the fee of this tx and whatever unconfirmed tx it depends on
- Rela-time double-spend detection. If we detect one the confidence goes to zero.

We boil that down to a confidence number which never reaches 100%, and let the user take it into consideration when figuring out whether he wants to spend the time it takes to confirm with the seller. In the end it is an instrument that the buyer can use to help him judge the situation along with a number of other factors. Maybe he knows the seller, or he can see he has a five star reputation and 100 deals under his belt. He might also consider the seller a dodgy character and wait it out.

In the end there is no 100% guarantee, not even when the transaction has confirmed.

Thanks for the quick response to this, and any and all other concerns and questions people have in regard to your wallet and other services.   Smiley
Jump to: