Author

Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet - page 121. (Read 586109 times)

Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
October 20, 2013, 05:54:22 AM
If HD wallets just use an incrementing integer added to the seed to generate keys, I figure it would be easy. Just always send all change to a new address, increment the counter, and disgard the old address. That way all you have to keep a record of is the seed and the current counter. The last option to add would be to scan all addresses, from first to the counter, to see if they have any coins, and sweep the coins to the most recent address, in case one of your old addressees get paid.

As for restoring backups, just have it scan addresses one by one until it finds one with a balance.
Implementing BIP 32 and creating keys is the easy part. Where it really starts getting tricky is when have to track track the unspent outputs and transaction history of an ever increasing key set. Some have suggested a moving window of keys to track, and that will work as long as no one sends funds to an address outside the window. Bitsofproof is working on such a solution, and it is going to be interesting to see how it works out. My guess is that a lot of confusion will arise when funds seemingly disappear when they are received outside the window...
You can amended this by doing a complete scan once in a while. This however is where it gets really expensive. If you have your own dedicated powerful host running Armory this is not a problem, but I don't think it scales to thousands of wallets.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
October 19, 2013, 06:34:00 PM
If HD wallets just use an incrementing integer added to the seed to generate keys, I figure it would be easy. Just always send all change to a new address, increment the counter, and disgard the old address. That way all you have to keep a record of is the seed and the current counter. The last option to add would be to scan all addresses, from first to the counter, to see if they have any coins, and sweep the coins to the most recent address, in case one of your old addressees get paid.

As for restoring backups, just have it scan addresses one by one until it finds one with a balance.
Jan
legendary
October 19, 2013, 01:43:00 PM
Is it your plan to continue supporting importing bitcoin spinner backup keys into the foreseeable future? Or should we plan on moving away from spinner generated keys over some time frame?
Yes.
Once Mycelium gets to version 1.0 (1.0 goal is within 2013) BitcoinSpinner will get retired. The import functionality in Mycelium however will remain.
Note that BitcoinSpinner allows you to backup in two ways.
1. Settings -> Backup (the one that you can also restore in BitcoinSpinner)
2. Settings -> Advanced -> Export (the one that gives you a standard SIPA formatted private key)
Option 2 is the one that is broadly supported across wallets, so that would be the most portable way of backing up your BitcoinSpinner key. Mycelium can import both.
Jan
legendary
October 19, 2013, 01:35:31 PM
Will Mycelium be implementing HD wallets, or the new payment protocol, any time soon?
We are not working on either of those features right now. Implementing proper support for HD wallets (where you can operate on practically an unlimited number of keys) on a phone is not trivial. I am pretty sure that the payment protocol comes before HD wallets, and whether we get to HD wallets... I don't know. Andreas has some interesting ideas, but it remains to be seen whether it is going to be efficient.
The last few weeks we have been working on giving the UI a more modern look and feel and encrypted backups. We expect to have the next release ready in about 3 weeks.
ffe
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
October 18, 2013, 11:33:43 PM
Is it your plan to continue supporting importing bitcoin spinner backup keys into the foreseeable future? Or should we plan on moving away from spinner generated keys over some time frame?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
October 18, 2013, 02:19:16 PM
Will Mycelium be implementing HD wallets, or the new payment protocol, any time soon?
legendary
Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001
October 18, 2013, 05:56:49 AM
Yes, it would be for having the flexibility to increase the fee from the default minimum of 0.0001 for faster confirmation when needed.
I got it!  Thanks a lot.

in practice, i have noticed all mycelium wallet transactions were included in the next block with the suggested fee of 0.1 mBTC - do you have any txid where this was not the case?

None really.  I was just trying to familiarize myself with it and did a transfer to test it out and indeed, a 0.0001 btc tranx fee was suggested and it was fine.  I was just wondering if an option to increase the default suggested fee would be possible for more flexibility.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
October 18, 2013, 05:18:25 AM
Yes, it would be for having the flexibility to increase the fee from the default minimum of 0.0001 for faster confirmation when needed.
I got it!  Thanks a lot.

in practice, i have noticed all mycelium wallet transactions were included in the next block with the suggested fee of 0.1 mBTC - do you have any txid where this was not the case?
legendary
October 18, 2013, 03:19:52 AM
Is the miner/tranx fee in Mycelium determined by the network or is it hard-coded at .0001 btc?  Is it possible to make this amount a user-defined option in future releases?

Another cool feature to have (I think) is the option to be able to input the fiat amount to be converted to btc when sending.

Fee
The fee is calculated to be 0.0001 for each 1000 bytes of transaction size. This way the fee matches the minimum relay fee enforced by bitcoin nodes. If you go below that you risk that your transaction gets stuck in the network and never confirms. If we allow users to go below that, and blame it on us when their transactions get stuck.
However, adding a larger fee may me desirable if you want faster confirmations, especially once the number of transactions start hitting the 1 MB block limit. Here is my thinking about how dynamic fees could be achieved: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/to-fee-or-not-to-fee-166302

Sending Fiat
It is already there. When you enter the amount to send there is a blue BTC button at the top right. Clicking it converts to your selected local fiat currency (in settings) and uses the exchange rate from your selected exchange (in settings).

I got it!  Thanks a lot.

Jan
legendary
October 18, 2013, 02:12:38 AM
Is the miner/tranx fee in Mycelium determined by the network or is it hard-coded at .0001 btc?  Is it possible to make this amount a user-defined option in future releases?

Another cool feature to have (I think) is the option to be able to input the fiat amount to be converted to btc when sending.

Fee
The fee is calculated to be 0.0001 for each 1000 bytes of transaction size. This way the fee matches the minimum relay fee enforced by bitcoin nodes. If you go below that you risk that your transaction gets stuck in the network and never confirms. If we allow users to go below that, and blame it on us when their transactions get stuck.
However, adding a larger fee may me desirable if you want faster confirmations, especially once the number of transactions start hitting the 1 MB block limit. Here is my thinking about how dynamic fees could be achieved: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/to-fee-or-not-to-fee-166302

Sending Fiat
It is already there. When you enter the amount to send there is a blue BTC button at the top right. Clicking it converts to your selected local fiat currency (in settings) and uses the exchange rate from your selected exchange (in settings).
legendary
October 18, 2013, 01:23:08 AM

legendary
October 15, 2013, 05:32:48 AM
I have Orbot on my device.  In order for Mycelium to connect through the Tor network, what should I enter in the "Socks Proxy" field in Settings --  "localhost:9050" or "127.0.0.1:9050"...?

Edit:  Also, is there an indicator or a way to verify that Mycelium is indeed connected to the Tor network?

"localhost:9050" or "127.0.0.1:9050" both are possible, but i would prefer the localhost variant.

the easiest way to validate this is to run an app like "OS monitor" that shows all active sockets. you should be able to identify the mycelium process and to what IP it connects. if connected through orbot, it should show

of course, have a look at the source code, too. everything is published on github for a reason Wink

and yes, we could also run a tor hidden service but we are not there yet

Thank you for the clarification.

I prefer to leave the coding stuff to the folks who are way smarter than me.  Otherwise, I'd smell my own brain burning.  Smiley
October 15, 2013, 03:30:11 AM
I have Orbot on my device.  In order for Mycelium to connect through the Tor network, what should I enter in the "Socks Proxy" field in Settings --  "localhost:9050" or "127.0.0.1:9050"...?

Edit:  Also, is there an indicator or a way to verify that Mycelium is indeed connected to the Tor network?

"localhost:9050" or "127.0.0.1:9050" both are possible, but i would prefer the localhost variant.

the easiest way to validate this is to run an app like "OS monitor" that shows all active sockets. you should be able to identify the mycelium process and to what IP it connects. if connected through orbot, it should show

of course, have a look at the source code, too. everything is published on github for a reason Wink

and yes, we could also run a tor hidden service but we are not there yet
legendary
October 14, 2013, 08:16:51 PM

Edit:  Also, is there an indicator or a way to verify that Mycelium is indeed connected to the Tor network?
legendary
Activity: 3584
Merit: 1560
October 14, 2013, 01:04:18 AM
Thanks for the answers.
Jan
legendary
October 12, 2013, 01:39:40 PM
right now it choses one of the originating addresses for change.

this is to avoid having to backup new keys just because you are sending something. in the future this might change significantly, tough.

Adding to Andreas' answer: the address that contributes the highest total input value is used as the change address.
October 12, 2013, 01:02:09 PM
right now it choses one of the originating addresses for change.

this is to avoid having to backup new keys just because you are sending something. in the future this might change significantly, tough.
legendary
Activity: 3584
Merit: 1560
October 12, 2013, 01:30:00 AM
The wallet creates additional keys::
1. When it has no keys at all (first startup or when you delete the last key it has)
2. When you ask it to by going into Key Management, click + and select Create

Mycelium tracks the origin of the keys it manages in it's key metadata. So it known whether a key was imported or created. Going forward we will visualize whether the wallet thinks that you have a backup of a key, and give users a friendly reminder if they have funds on a key which has not yet been backed up. By combining this with proven import (import verification) we will have something really powerful.

Thanks for the clarification.

What about change addresses? Are separate addresses used for change or does it send change back to the originating address?
Jan
legendary
October 09, 2013, 12:48:29 PM
Bug report (0.8.5):

I have four addresses in my wallet, of which one is watch-only.

In the main view the second address (not the watch-only address) shows a very, very small QR code unlike the others. Also if I tap that second address it does not show the dimming QR code like the others. Instead it shows the Android "Share with..." dialog.
My guess is that you have a long label for that address. If the display is small enough and the label long enough, then the QR code will shrink to make the label fit, and eventually disappear entirely if the label is too long. Does this fit with your observations?
You are correct. The label for that address is quite a bit longer than the others. But why the different behaviour when tapping on the address?
When you tap the text address it always shows the "Share with..." dialog. When you tap the QR code it always displays it large.
Since the label is shown together with the address the bounding box for opening the share dialog gets large when the label is large. However, we could make the bounding box be only on the text address.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
https://gliph.me/hUF
October 09, 2013, 12:16:19 PM
Bug report (0.8.5):

I have four addresses in my wallet, of which one is watch-only.

In the main view the second address (not the watch-only address) shows a very, very small QR code unlike the others. Also if I tap that second address it does not show the dimming QR code like the others. Instead it shows the Android "Share with..." dialog.

My guess is that you have a long label for that address. If the display is small enough and the label long enough, then the QR code will shrink to make the label fit, and eventually disappear entirely if the label is too long. Does this fit with your observations?

You are correct. The label for that address is quite a bit longer than the others. But why the different behaviour when tapping on the address?

which model are you on?

It's a Galaxy Grand: http://www.samsung.com/ph/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/android/GT-I9082EWAXTC
Jump to: