Author

Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet - page 123. (Read 586109 times)

Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
October 02, 2013, 03:03:21 AM
Good news everyone!

We have launched a new testnet release, where people will can try out new early builds without even touching the real bitcoins. Testnet releases are a completely seperate app, signed with a different key, but built largely from the same source. Of couse it connects to the current testnet3.

to get in, you need to do three things:

1) join the Mycelium Beta testers group at https://plus.google.com/communities/102264813364583686576

2) enable taking part of the beta test at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.mycelium.testnetwallet

3) install the app via the WEB version of the play store at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.testnetwallet  using your PC. do not attempt to search it directly via the play store app - since the play store does not list beta-only apps yet.

At point 2 I get:

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Angry
Works for me. Please try again.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
October 01, 2013, 06:37:27 PM
Good news everyone!

We have launched a new testnet release, where people will can try out new early builds without even touching the real bitcoins. Testnet releases are a completely seperate app, signed with a different key, but built largely from the same source. Of couse it connects to the current testnet3.

1) join the Mycelium Beta testers group at https://plus.google.com/communities/102264813364583686576

2) enable taking part of the beta test at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.mycelium.testnetwallet

3) install the app via the WEB version of the play store at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.testnetwallet  using your PC. do not attempt to search it directly via the play store app - since the play store does not list beta-only apps yet.

At point 2 I get:

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Angry
Jan
legendary
October 01, 2013, 04:25:34 AM
Mycelium is not deterministic, right? How do you make backups of a mycelium wallet?

Also bitcoin-qt needs to be backed up every 100 or so transactions because the default key pool size is 100. How often should mycelium be backed up?

Not directly answering the question, but I used bitaddress.org to generate addresses, created a few paper backups, imported those addresses into Mycelium, and use that.
From what I've seen, Mycelium, only uses the addresses it has set up, unless you create new ones, in which case you should back up the new ones.

To add to Rassah's valid points: There are two basic ways that keys are added to Mycelium.
1. You import a private key that you generate elsewhere
2. You create a shiny new random key

If your key is imported you probably have a backup of it elsewhere. If that is the case you only need to backup (export) keys that you created with the wallet.

The wallet creates additional keys::
1. When it has no keys at all (first startup or when you delete the last key it has)
2. When you ask it to by going into Key Management, click + and select Create

Mycelium tracks the origin of the keys it manages in it's key metadata. So it known whether a key was imported or created. Going forward we will visualize whether the wallet thinks that you have a backup of a key, and give users a friendly reminder if they have funds on a key which has not yet been backed up. By combining this with proven import (import verification) we will have something really powerful.

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 30, 2013, 06:03:16 PM
Mycelium is not deterministic, right? How do you make backups of a mycelium wallet?

Also bitcoin-qt needs to be backed up every 100 or so transactions because the default key pool size is 100. How often should mycelium be backed up?

Not directly answering the question, but I used bitaddress.org to generate addresses, created a few paper backups, imported those addresses into Mycelium, and use that.
From what I've seen, Mycelium, only uses the addresses it has set up, unless you create new ones, in which case you should back up the new ones.
legendary
Activity: 3584
Merit: 1560
September 30, 2013, 04:44:19 PM

b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
September 28, 2013, 10:07:18 AM
Wow, sounds like a great wallet for Android smartphones. I will download it in the future.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 28, 2013, 08:48:56 AM
legendary
Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015
e-ducat.fr
September 26, 2013, 02:13:59 PM

The best way to support us is to help us increase the user base, spread the word about the awesomeness of the Mycelium Wallet  Grin
I do : you guys did a great job over and beyond what you already did with bitcoinspinner. The UI simplicity is great. Don't get sidetracked with funky features (like tipping), keep them optionnal maybe.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
September 26, 2013, 10:26:42 AM
Good news everyone!

we will also publish the sources along with the next prodnet release. maybe this testnet release will increase the github push frequency, too.

some changes compared to the main release:
Address Swiping: On the main view you can now swipe the address box horizontally to switch between receiving addresses. If you have Segregated Mode enabled (expert feature) the address you swipe to will also be the only key you work on. This means that the balance and transaction history only will show stuff related to that key. The balance and tx history updates really snappy while you swipe through your addresses, try it, it looks rather cool.

Address Book: The address book now has two tabs. One for your own addresses and another for other addresses. This gives a nice overview and makes it less likely that you select the wrong recipient.

On top of that there are a few of minor usability changes such as a setting for disabling the pulsing QR codes.
Activity: 752
Merit: 500
bitcoin hodler
September 26, 2013, 10:03:33 AM
Watch-only addresses is a cool feature, but I can't find it anywhere. How do I access this?
If you haven't enabled Expert Mode do this by clicking the Options button and tap Settings. With Expert Mode enabled you will find a Key Management option when clicking the Options button on the main view.
Once you are in the Key Management view there are two ways of getting a watch-only address:
1. Click the "+" button and scan any Bitcoin address.
2. Long press an existing record with a key icon and choose "Delete Private Key" and check "Keep as read-only by preserving the Bitcoin address"

Note: If you use option 2 you must have a backup of your private key elsewhere.

If you have Aggregated mode enabled (this is the default), then your balance will display the total balance of all your addresses. This includes your watch-only addresses along with the rest of your keys. With segregated mode you only see the balance of the currently selected key. You can switch between aggregated and segregated mode in settings.

In the current release you choose which address to work on in Key Management. The coming release allows you to switch between addresses by horizontally swiping the address box at the top of the main view. It will be out in a day or two.

cool, thanks a lot, works like a charm Smiley
Jan
legendary
September 26, 2013, 08:41:44 AM
Watch-only addresses is a cool feature, but I can't find it anywhere. How do I access this?
If you haven't enabled Expert Mode do this by clicking the Options button and tap Settings. With Expert Mode enabled you will find a Key Management option when clicking the Options button on the main view.
Once you are in the Key Management view there are two ways of getting a watch-only address:
1. Click the "+" button and scan any Bitcoin address.
2. Long press an existing record with a key icon and choose "Delete Private Key" and check "Keep as read-only by preserving the Bitcoin address"

Note: If you use option 2 you must have a backup of your private key elsewhere.

If you have Aggregated mode enabled (this is the default), then your balance will display the total balance of all your addresses. This includes your watch-only addresses along with the rest of your keys. With segregated mode you only see the balance of the currently selected key. You can switch between aggregated and segregated mode in settings.

In the current release you choose which address to work on in Key Management. The coming release allows you to switch between addresses by horizontally swiping the address box at the top of the main view. It will be out in a day or two.
Activity: 752
Merit: 500
bitcoin hodler
September 26, 2013, 08:06:20 AM
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
September 24, 2013, 06:02:45 PM
there have been some reports of a handful of OutOfMemoryExceptions happening. if someone is affected please post any context. (number of private keys, numer of transactions, addresses, size of the address book etc.)

i have not been able to reproduce this problem yet.
Jan
legendary
September 20, 2013, 09:08:41 AM
I think it's important enough. There are many "group buys" and games that rely on users being able to sign messages using the bitcoin address they paid with. Just have it duplicate the functionality of the reference satoshi client.

My work around for this is to export the private key and have bitcoin-qt do the signing of messages.
I see. To be honest I only ever had to sign a message once where I was the trusted party of an  escrow.
I'll add it to the list of stuff to look into.
Jan
legendary
September 20, 2013, 09:05:36 AM
Message signing is not on our short term list.
Would you regard this a critical feature?

Critical? No. Would it have been useful half an hour ago? Yes. :-)

Unrelated to this: is there a donation address to support the development of Mycelium? This has become my favourite BTC Android app real fast.
We are not accepting donations (not my decision). Going forward we are going to add (optional) revenue generating features.
The best way to support us is to help us increase the user base, spread the word about the awesomeness of the Mycelium Wallet  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
September 20, 2013, 09:05:10 AM
I think it's important enough. There are many "group buys" and games that rely on users being able to sign messages using the bitcoin address they paid with. Just have it duplicate the functionality of the reference satoshi client.

My work around for this is to export the private key and have bitcoin-qt do the signing of messages.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
https://gliph.me/hUF
September 20, 2013, 08:56:08 AM
Is signing messages on the cards?
Do you mean on Bitcoincard? Not in the first release.

Ah, I meant "on the cards" as in: planned for. If it is at all possible for Mycelium?

Critical? No. Would it have been useful half an hour ago? Yes. :-)

Unrelated to this: is there a donation address to support the development of Mycelium? This has become my favourite BTC Android app real fast.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
September 20, 2013, 08:49:22 AM
This is a very good wallet.
Best wallet for the Golden Dawn operating system.

You are welcome to come to North Korea and show in person.

Sincerely,
Supreme Leader of Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Kim Jong Un
Jan
legendary
September 20, 2013, 08:35:07 AM

Ah, I meant "on the cards" as in: planned for. If it is at all possible for Mycelium?
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
https://gliph.me/hUF
September 20, 2013, 08:29:34 AM

Jump to: