Pages:
Author

Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet - page 87. (Read 586242 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Decentralized thinking
July 04, 2014, 03:01:19 AM
Came across this thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/android-wallet-with-coin-mixer-632754
So is it possible for you guys to add a coin mixer on mycelium. I know that the coins would have to be held on a central server so that they can be mixed but can this be possible without the server?

There is something called CoinJoin, which is basically a mixer that doesn't rely on a central server. Everyone creates a single transaction putting their money and taking it out at the same time, then passes that transaction around, and signs it with their own keys once they verify that each person will get their own money back. Once everyone checks that they're not getting robbed and signs the transaction, the transaction is broadcast, and everyone's coins get mixed all at once. No need for servers (other than to help potential mixees find each other), and no need to trust anyone. That's basically what DarkWallet implements for anonymity. But in order to do that, you need to be able to send change, or in this case output from your coins, to a new address, which means you need BIP32 HD Wallets. That's what Mycelium is working on implementing in their wallet right now. Once HD wallets are done, they should be able to get CoinJoin in as well, and then you'll have mixing right in your android wallet.

Forgot there was something like coinjoin but anyway cant wait for this feature to be added and due to the high number of people using mycelium the mixing might be very effective(0% taint)

Thanks rassah.
Activity: 441
July 04, 2014, 02:53:35 AM
Not quite yet, but it should, and we are going to add it.

Cool! Thanks!

I've used Mycelium since it forked from Spinner and I must say it keeps improving. Good work!
Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
July 04, 2014, 12:20:23 AM
Mycelium has the same fee calculation as Bitcoin-Qt. Personally, I want this to be an option, too, but the mighty devs have spoken, and they have their reasons  Tongue

If that's true that's excellent news! Bitcoin-Qt even does transfers without any fee when the blocks are mature enough, the transaction big enough and the size small enough. Works perfectly. Would Mycelium do the same, given the same circumstances?
Not quite yet, but it should, and we are going to add it.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
July 03, 2014, 11:47:43 PM
Came across this thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/android-wallet-with-coin-mixer-632754
So is it possible for you guys to add a coin mixer on mycelium. I know that the coins would have to be held on a central server so that they can be mixed but can this be possible without the server?

There is something called CoinJoin, which is basically a mixer that doesn't rely on a central server. Everyone creates a single transaction putting their money and taking it out at the same time, then passes that transaction around, and signs it with their own keys once they verify that each person will get their own money back. Once everyone checks that they're not getting robbed and signs the transaction, the transaction is broadcast, and everyone's coins get mixed all at once. No need for servers (other than to help potential mixees find each other), and no need to trust anyone. That's basically what DarkWallet implements for anonymity. But in order to do that, you need to be able to send change, or in this case output from your coins, to a new address, which means you need BIP32 HD Wallets. That's what Mycelium is working on implementing in their wallet right now. Once HD wallets are done, they should be able to get CoinJoin in as well, and then you'll have mixing right in your android wallet.
July 03, 2014, 04:37:22 PM
Mycelium has the same fee calculation as Bitcoin-Qt. Personally, I want this to be an option, too, but the mighty devs have spoken, and they have their reasons  Tongue

If that's true that's excellent news! Bitcoin-Qt even does transfers without any fee when the blocks are mature enough, the transaction big enough and the size small enough. Works perfectly. Would Mycelium do the same, given the same circumstances?
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
July 03, 2014, 04:25:02 PM

Why do you need a mixer in mycelium. There is already a lot of them online.
Activity: 350
Decentralized thinking
July 03, 2014, 02:36:27 PM
legendary
July 01, 2014, 03:36:21 PM
The North American Bitcoin Conference in Chicago (http://btcchicago.com/) is scheduled to take place July 19th and 20th, and has recently lowered their attendance fee to just $100. The conference is put on by Moe Levin, the same guy who created the first very successful conference in Amsterdam last September, followed by the conference in Miami in January that broke all bitcoin conference attendance records. Of all the conferences we've attended last year, his were typically on par with the best and biggest ones, such as the San Jose in May a year ago and the Toronto one this past April.

I expect this conference to be just as big and successful, and will be in attendance, demonstrating in person our new Mycelium Entropy device that we launched on Indiegogo a few days ago. Speaking of which, we are almost 1/3 of the way to our goal, and we hear that a lot of bitcoiners out there don't really use Reddit or Bitcointalk (silly newbies  Roll Eyes). So if you know someone like that, please help spread our campaign by word of mouth and let them know about this.

I will also be there to answer any questions, show demos of our Android bitcoin wallet app, give updates on our progress for implementing new features, and maybe show some exclusive sneak previews of what we are working on behind the scenes that you won't be able to see anywhere else.

Hope to see you there!
legendary
July 01, 2014, 03:34:33 PM
Other "normal" non-node running users. As far as I know, most other phone based wallets still pay the standard fee, or do off-blockchain transactions and pay a standard fee when transferring coins out of their internal system.

Again, sending bitoins works perfectly well with Bitcoin-Qt. It does have a more advanced fee calculation than Mycelium, and it would be great if Mycelium could catch up with that. But in the meantime a lower, or perhaps end user selectable, fee would work wonders.

July 01, 2014, 11:15:24 AM
Other "normal" non-node running users. As far as I know, most other phone based wallets still pay the standard fee, or do off-blockchain transactions and pay a standard fee when transferring coins out of their internal system.

Again, sending bitoins works perfectly well with Bitcoin-Qt. It does have a more advanced fee calculation than Mycelium, and it would be great if Mycelium could catch up with that. But in the meantime a lower, or perhaps end user selectable, fee would work wonders.
legendary
July 01, 2014, 10:30:49 AM
Yes... eventually. It's a chicken and egg issue, where we have to wait for mining pools to change it, and mining pools have no reason to change it if everyone else is still using 0.0001.

How do you mean everyone else? Bitcoin-Qt changed to the new fee, and I haven't heard anyone had problems sending transactions with that. Have you?

Other "normal" non-node running users. As far as I know, most other phone based wallets still pay the standard fee, or do off-blockchain transactions and pay a standard fee when transferring coins out of their internal system. Changing the fee also isn't as easy as just changing the code from "fee = 0.0001" to "fee = 0.00001," since the fee still depends on transaction priority, and that math has to be calculated out to see if the minimum fee will even be enough. Good read on the subject http://bitcoinfees.com/
July 01, 2014, 10:24:03 AM
Yes... eventually. It's a chicken and egg issue, where we have to wait for mining pools to change it, and mining pools have no reason to change it if everyone else is still using 0.0001.

How do you mean everyone else? Bitcoin-Qt changed to the new fee, and I haven't heard anyone had problems sending transactions with that. Have you?
legendary
July 01, 2014, 09:33:16 AM
I haven't look at fees for a while, but after building bitcoind 0.9.2.1, I noticed it defaults to
Code:
"relayfee" : 0.00001000,
Will the default fee be changed for Mycelium too? Version 1.2.12 asks for 0.0001

Yes... eventually. It's a chicken and egg issue, where we have to wait for mining pools to change it, and mining pools have no reason to change it if everyone else is still using 0.0001. Since we are trying to keep our wallet as reliable and user friendly as possible, for now we are waiting for others to fight this battle out.

I think we could have a consensus on 0.00001 once the btc price is much higher than today.
legendary
July 01, 2014, 09:28:41 AM
I haven't look at fees for a while, but after building bitcoind 0.9.2.1, I noticed it defaults to
Code:
Will the default fee be changed for Mycelium too? Version 1.2.12 asks for 0.0001

Yes... eventually. It's a chicken and egg issue, where we have to wait for mining pools to change it, and mining pools have no reason to change it if everyone else is still using 0.0001. Since we are trying to keep our wallet as reliable and user friendly as possible, for now we are waiting for others to fight this battle out.
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003
VIS ET LIBERTAS
June 30, 2014, 04:49:31 AM
I know German love cash. Here in France, people use cash only if credit card is not accepted.
In Germany, they use visa/mastercard only if cash is not accepted Wink
Yes, the 500€ bill has been made at the request of german people.
 I like that purple color  Wink

Activity: 475
Merit: 255
June 30, 2014, 04:43:45 AM
Cash and credit cards are used in the cases when bitcoin is not accepted, right?  Wink
legendary
June 30, 2014, 04:32:32 AM
I know German love cash. Here in France, people use cash only if credit card is not accepted.

Yes, the 500€ bill has been made at the request of german people.
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003
VIS ET LIBERTAS
June 30, 2014, 04:27:23 AM
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
June 30, 2014, 01:00:03 AM
Code:
legendary
June 29, 2014, 04:10:14 PM
Quote from: bitcoininformation
Kickstarter isn't a smart idea, because credit cards are an American thing. Most people in Europe don't have one.

You just lost credibility. All Europeans people use visa and MasterCard every day.

Err... No.
I think it's safe to say, both of you are wrong.

Many people do have a CC here, but...

At least in Austria and Germany, >90% of all people I know, only use their Visa/Mastercard/Diners whatever...credit card,
only if it is absolutely necessary, or if it is giving them any advantage (insurances, for example) over another form of payment.
For bigger online purchases, flight/hotel booking, or in (financial) emergencies,...

Maybe you mean "Maestro"... Debit Card, linked to their main bank (Giro) account? Well, that is another story.
Almost every day I go to a grocerystore like "Spar", for example. I see at least one or two customers in front of me that do use their "Maestro" Card to pay € 3,89 or something...
But I haven't seen someone paying their "everyday needs" with a CC for a very long time.

this is by far the easiest,  and most feature rich wallet ive ever seen.  thank you to the development team!

on a side note....  why in the world aren't more people buying and selling directly in the app.  So much easier than localbitcoins....  and much faster than coinbase.... i just dont get it  :/

Absolutely!

OK, I admit I don't know every European country. I know German love cash. Here in France, people use cash only if credit card is not accepted.
Pages:
Jump to: