Pages:
Author

Topic: Nefario - page 65. (Read 198674 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
October 09, 2012, 12:15:55 AM
Settle down peeps.

A paper wallet has been generated and all outstanding funds should be going there soon. Its not an easy process to wind down such a large company like GLBSE as you can imagine. Nefario is still in contact with everyone and untill he refuses to communicate via secure channels things are still in motion, albeit slowly.

I feel sad that in all likelihood any visible bitcoin company is going to face the same fate as GLBSE and its not really nefario you should be angry about.

Maybe there should be a specific timeline instead of vague and false promises like "later today".

Pretty hard to put a deadline on it. Besides if a deadline passes people get even more upset.

Better to underpromise and over deliver  Tongue

On the site it says "Update:we will begin processing account closures and returning bitcoin later today."

Day is up, seems like a deadline has passed.  Way to under-promise.
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
October 08, 2012, 11:19:03 PM
I may be new to bitcoin but I am definitely not new to scammers.  Whenever there is an opportunity they will arise.  Sometimes they are quick scams and sometimes they are long and drawn out.  Then sometimes people just get stuck in something or angry and decide to screw everyone they can...  It's always something that will be around.

Playing Eve Online for 7 years taught me a thing or two.
Activity: 686
Wat
October 08, 2012, 10:56:47 PM
Maybe there should be a specific timeline instead of vague and false promises like "later today".

Yeah. According to my call with Nefario last night, the process should be started by now.

Goats assets were delisted in less than a day.  I am sure there was less though into delisting Goats asset than in closing all of GLBSE down.  This could have been planned ahead of time.

You dont get to plan anything when the sherriff is knocking on your door.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
October 08, 2012, 10:48:08 PM
http://bitcoinweekly.com/articles/interview-with-nefario-founder-of-bitcoin-global

Kiba: What was the most challenging part in developing the GLBSE?

Nefario: Going live...sooner than intended.

What actually happened was I told a few people "hey this is there to play with, let me know what you think", came back a couple of days later and found someone had IPO'd on the exchange over the weekend!

In an instant this turned this project from Alpha testing to LIVE with responsibility. I've never run a service before, and getting used to the responsibility was hard.

Cheesy

Related:
http://bitcoinweekly.com/articles/the-glbse-and-decentralization
http://bitcoinweekly.com/articles/the-global-bitcoin-stock-exchange-and-why-it-matters
October 08, 2012, 10:44:25 PM

Yeah. According to my call with Nefario last night, the process should be started by now.

Goats assets were delisted in less than a day.  I am sure there was less though into delisting Goats asset than in closing all of GLBSE down.  This could have been planned ahead of time.
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
October 08, 2012, 10:35:26 PM
Bitcoin businesses who aren't AML/CTF compliant have been warned about this likelihood for a long time.  There's really not much of an excuse for not being prepared for it either on the operator side or the user side.  When businesses are providing financial services without requiring KYC information, users know damned well that those businesses are at risk of encountering legal problems for AML/CTF and tax evasion issues.  Operators and users are perfectly free to ignore that risk, but they knowingly do so at their own peril.

+1, it doesn't matter how you cut it, the moment you call something a security (or call it something else but the same thing thus giving this feeling of security) there's an implication that:

a) There's a limited liability company (ie. LLC, Pty whatever) that's running the exchange, I haven't read through this entire thread so apologies if it's already been answered but was there? If so then you have the powers of the jurisdiction it was formed in (which could be none or many) and now I'd assume there's something tangible you'd consider prosecuting.
b) That the listed assets exist in more than just the fictional 'bitcoin company' definition and are also potentially LLC's. Some assets I've seen on GLBSE are worthy of operating as normal companies but others left a lot to be desired as far as reporting (just making them readable would have been nice).

I'm not surprised that a federal regulating authority might come in (perhaps in relation to another recent far larger scam from 'he who shall not be named') and force the shutdown and identification of all share holders. If they had 1 person in particular 'by the balls' as it were he'd be staring down the barrel of 20 years+ in a penitentiary.  The mere existence of pass throughs implicated GLBSE as a secondary funding location that, I assume, a financial authority would be seriously interested in.

With relation directly to Nefario, I hardly know the guy but for all we know he could be operating under the direction of a far higher legal authority. Meanwhile his lawyer would be the only contact.

Where such businesses have actively misled their users with statements that their service is not at legal risk because...Bitcoins, then a "scam" label is probably warranted.  For the most part, though, it would be more accurate to label the operators of such services as arrogant, reckless and incompetent.

I wasn't there but I heard the response was to simply point out that you could move jurisdictions. While that statement is 'true' it fails to consider the long arm of the law of large governments who are participating Globally too (ie. there's some synonyms for why Bitcoin is sold as a good idea). I personally don't think there's anything wrong with having AML requirements & enforcement especially when there's third party brokerage. There are very few Bitcoin businesses that can choose to ignore the fact they still operate in the jurisdiction in which they are formed.

Either way, I never invested in anything on GLBSE, didn't feel comfortable, the hit on the Bitcoin price is kinda annoying but by the same token I personally believe that at least some form of regulation is helpful especially when it comes to having Bitcoin adopted effectively by the masses.

Seriously, tell me that's not US government language.

It's standard language for all 34 FATF member nations, which is why you'll find financial institutions all over the world talking about AML/CTF/KYC requirements.  The administrative burden for complying with those requirements is enormous, but small entities don't have the the resources to wear the consequences of non-compliance.

+1, nuff said.

Stu

P.S. This is my personal views only and is based on nothing more than things I've read and considered. Potentially none of it could be factual.  Grin
Wat
October 08, 2012, 10:23:08 PM
So how does the current GLBSE procedure of "don't promise and fuck-over" work into that concept?

I was only talking in this particular case. As for the rest of the train wreck its a fair point.
Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.
October 08, 2012, 10:22:42 PM
Wow...I don't log in for a few days and then I come back and see everything has gone to Hell.  Fun times it appears.   Tongue
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
October 08, 2012, 09:53:13 PM
Actually not an iron cross... it's Prussia's Pour le Mérite, the Blue Max. Altered to be the Bit Max.
Activity: 574
October 08, 2012, 09:49:24 PM
So how does the current GLBSE procedure of "don't promise and fuck-over" work into that concept?
Wat
October 08, 2012, 09:41:38 PM
Settle down peeps.

A paper wallet has been generated and all outstanding funds should be going there soon. Its not an easy process to wind down such a large company like GLBSE as you can imagine. Nefario is still in contact with everyone and untill he refuses to communicate via secure channels things are still in motion, albeit slowly.

I feel sad that in all likelihood any visible bitcoin company is going to face the same fate as GLBSE and its not really nefario you should be angry about.

Pretty hard to put a deadline on it. Besides if a deadline passes people get even more upset.

Better to underpromise and over deliver  Tongue
Activity: 742
Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3
October 08, 2012, 09:35:00 PM
And any mention of the IPOs that hadnt even been started yet? Does he plan to refund the btc for the services he is refusing to provide for the btc that were paid?
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
October 08, 2012, 09:31:03 PM

October 08, 2012, 09:26:51 PM
Settle down peeps.

Activity: 336
October 08, 2012, 09:12:33 PM
The landing page now has:

"Update:we will begin processing account closures and returning bitcoin later today."

Given we can not submit details, it is very unclear what is being "processed".
Yup, and I don't really care about the BTC in my account, there was hardly anything there - what I'm much more concerned about is my securities  Roll Eyes
Activity: 518
October 08, 2012, 08:04:03 PM
The landing page now has:

"Update:we will begin processing account closures and returning bitcoin later today."

Given we can not submit details, it is very unclear what is being "processed".
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
October 08, 2012, 08:03:19 PM
Settle down peeps.

...all outstanding funds should be going there soon...

How can they "go out soon" when you still have no idea where to sent them?

I assume you mean:

1) the web site will come back up with just the BTC balances and we will be able to transfer our BTC where we wish?

2) you will be sending out emails to everyone instructing us on how to claim our BTC and give you a destination address?

He means they are transferring everyones stolen bitcoins from one of their online wallets to a paperwallet..... big question is, for what reason, and what is the difference as far as everyone is concerned?  Seems more scammy to me than anything.
Activity: 168
October 08, 2012, 07:49:35 PM
Settle down peeps.

could you please tell us how BTC addresses for refunds will be confirmed.

No doubt you will be able to submit a bitcoin address

Q:I'm a GLBSE user, what about my assets and my bitcoin?

You will be able to get back your bitcoin, and if you want to reveal your username, email, and a bitcoin address to accept payments with, you can continue your relationship with the issuer of any assets you hold.

What is the public address of the paper wallet?
Wat
October 08, 2012, 07:43:26 PM
Settle down peeps.

No doubt you will be able to submit a bitcoin address

Q:I'm a GLBSE user, what about my assets and my bitcoin?

You will be able to get back your bitcoin, and if you want to reveal your username, email, and a bitcoin address to accept payments with, you can continue your relationship with the issuer of any assets you hold.
Activity: 183
October 08, 2012, 07:31:05 PM
Settle down peeps.

Pages:
Jump to: