Pages:
Author

Topic: Nefario - page 67. (Read 198674 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
October 08, 2012, 02:20:57 PM
I know a lot of people still believe Nef isn't a scammer and that they will get their assets and btc back.... does anyone still believe Pirateat40 is still going to pay back everyone?
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
October 08, 2012, 01:28:35 PM
Hi all,

This might be useful... so you're aware of the next "official" move.

RSS feed tracking changes (from now on) on GLBSE.com website:

http://www.changedetection.com/accountfeed.xml?feedid=472464928346072

If GLBSE's Twitter account consisted of feeds from the website, then we know exactly when the site went black--to the minute: https://twitter.com/GLBSE/status/253869482659938304
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
October 08, 2012, 01:17:03 PM
I wonder how much someone could make from running a scam where they setup a business, then freeze all clients funds and only return them after receiving massive amounts of personal information and documentation citing AML for the reason.  What kind of percentage of people wouldn't want to lose their privacy and how many bitcoins do you think you could get from running a scam like that?

Pretty much what MtGox did.

At least with them, we still had the option to send our BTC elsewhere without going through that all the paperwork BS.  I believe the paperwork only kicks in to hook up to Dwolla and the like.
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
October 08, 2012, 01:09:36 PM
I wonder how much someone could make from running a scam where they setup a business, then freeze all clients funds and only return them after receiving massive amounts of personal information and documentation citing AML for the reason.  What kind of percentage of people wouldn't want to lose their privacy and how many bitcoins do you think you could get from running a scam like that?

Pretty much what MtGox did.
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
a big question mark
October 08, 2012, 01:06:28 PM
From GLBSE Website:

Update:we will begin processing account closures and returning bitcoin later today.

Activity: 259
Merit: 250
October 08, 2012, 12:57:10 PM
From GLBSE Website:

Update:we will begin processing account closures and returning bitcoin later today.
Activity: 183
October 08, 2012, 12:49:38 PM
...just curious on references if possible to the SEC knowingly investigating GLBSE, I''d be very curious to become educated on that and any other threads/information regarding SEC or government involvement other than just what Nefarios said.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/willardfoxton2/100007836/bitcoin-pirate-scandal-sec-steps-in-amid-allegations-that-the-whole-thing-was-a-ponzi-scheme/

On September 24, an email was sent by an SEC investigator called Philip Moustakis to many of those who had invested in Pirate's scheme.

The email (seen by the Telegraph) indicated that the SEC is launching an investigation into Bitcoin Savings and Loan. Last night the SEC declined to comment on whether they are investigating, but confirmed that the email carried a correct email address, correct telephone numbers and seemed entirely bona fide. I've since been in contact with several investors in Bitcoin who have confirmed that they have spoken to Mr Moustakis, who is a Senior Attorney in the Enforcement Division of the SEC, with a distinguished record in investigating Ponzi schemes.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
October 08, 2012, 12:45:05 PM
...just curious on references if possible to the SEC knowingly investigating GLBSE, I''d be very curious to become educated on that and any other threads/information regarding SEC or government involvement other than just what Nefarios said.

http://pastie.org/4791945/wrap

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/got-off-the-phone-with-the-guy-from-the-sec-112438

Interesting letter (re. pastie). I'm now looking into this guy's background: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/philip-moustakis/53/28/995
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
October 08, 2012, 12:42:28 PM
I agree on pretty much all points.  Nefario needs to at the very least provide the records of ownership in GLBSE-listed securities to the issuers of said securities.  The site now reads:

I had a tiny amount in the exchange itself, but my ownership of securities previously listed there is more important.  We still have no idea what Nefario plans to do about that.
I, for one, am very interested to find out, just where they plan on returning the bitcoin to, and how they are determining which address they plan to use to return them to...

-- Smoov

i'm sure they will let you give them a BTC address once you send them your passport and other AML docs   Roll Eyes

Goat, were you invited to the shareholder meeting?  Grin
October 08, 2012, 12:24:58 PM
@JoelKatz agreed, thank you very much.
donator
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001
October 08, 2012, 12:22:38 PM
nefario

james

give
our
bitcoin
and
asset
back.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
October 08, 2012, 12:13:11 PM
who did he scam?
At the very least, every GBLSE customer who relied on him to protect their ownership interest in their assets.
Has he not done this. I have not been told that my assets are no longer mine. I am just waiting for the instructions to be able to provide details to my issuers. These issuers have also been contacted and are waiting for me to provide them with my proof of ownership. I dont trust anybody else to have access to that database until this has taken place.
Right, but that wasn't the deal. That was something Nefario unilaterally imposed on you for no reason that he has explained.

At the moment, we have no verifiable information explaining why GLBSE was shut down, but it does appear to have been done on Nefario's orders. GBLSE has the only ownership records for GLBSE-listed assets.
yes, and you can understand why other people would want that taken out of Nefario's hands. the more people that have access to that database the harder it is to protect ownership of those assets.

(It's entirely possible this was no scam and Nefario's actions were compelled by others. And it's possible he will make good to the extent possible and is really under duress. But it's also possible this was a huge scam all along and many of the assets were fake, owned by Nefario secretly, and Nefario orchestrated the whole thing to walk away with thousands of bitcoins. We don't know, and we shouldn't speculate. But we can't wait forever to act either.)

both of these are a possibility and neither have been proven. but the MO here seems to be guilty until proven innocent.
Yes, exactly. The point of the scammer tag is not to indicate proof of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Nor is it intended to be a final resolution. It's very different from a criminal conviction.

Let me try an example: Someone asks to borrow your car to go buy groceries. They never come back with your car. Now, it's not at all clear that they committed a crime. Maybe they had an accident and are in the hospital. Maybe the car got stolen through no fault of theirs. Who knows. But others need to be warned not to trust this person with their car, at least not until we find out what happened to your car.

That's what a scammer tag does. A scammer tag is a warning that indicates failure to make good on an agreement without known justification. It can be removed or restored as changing information warrants. It's not at all analogous to a criminal conviction. It's more like a civil finding that there are very good reasons not to trust the person who bears the tag.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians
October 08, 2012, 12:07:22 PM
Nefario said he no longer wanted to work with and just delisted me and took all my assets. No messages from him about this for at least a week.
Weren't you in for like 40K BTC?
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
October 08, 2012, 12:04:13 PM
Interesting turn of events from a personal dispute to complete shutdown.   
October 08, 2012, 11:51:58 AM

i'm sure they will let you give them a BTC address once you send them your passport and other AML docs   Roll Eyes

Did you eventually get your BTC returned Goat?

Some of the BTC but no assets.
Assets you issued or assets you bought?

Assets I bought. My account was closed and I have no access to my assets. This was true before the GLBSE shut down.

Still waiting for the rest of the BTC too...

Right, sorry I have not been following your scam accusation thread, so I dont know where you are upto with that. Have you been given a reason, explanation for this or request for further actions on your part?
October 08, 2012, 11:46:11 AM

Some of the BTC but no assets.
Assets you issued or assets you bought?
October 08, 2012, 11:43:33 AM
I agree on pretty much all points.  Nefario needs to at the very least provide the records of ownership in GLBSE-listed securities to the issuers of said securities.  The site now reads:

I had a tiny amount in the exchange itself, but my ownership of securities previously listed there is more important.  We still have no idea what Nefario plans to do about that.
I, for one, am very interested to find out, just where they plan on returning the bitcoin to, and how they are determining which address they plan to use to return them to...

-- Smoov

You realize that you are defending someone who has a scammer tag right?  At the very least he is a scammer, verified by the board.  Are you a part of this scam?  What connection do you have with this that you are so over the top defensive of a known scammer?
I am not defending anyone I am trying to establish the truth. If you can point out where I have been Over The Top defensive, I might be able to explain why that was. The only connection I have with GLBSE is my 30 btc account balance and my assets.

Edit: I questioned why he was labeled a scammer by asking who he has scammed, because i have yet to see evidence that he has scammed anyone.
October 08, 2012, 11:38:48 AM
I agree on pretty much all points.  Nefario needs to at the very least provide the records of ownership in GLBSE-listed securities to the issuers of said securities.  The site now reads:

I had a tiny amount in the exchange itself, but my ownership of securities previously listed there is more important.  We still have no idea what Nefario plans to do about that.

-- Smoov

i'm sure they will let you give them a BTC address once you send them your passport and other AML docs   Roll Eyes

You realize that you are defending someone who has a scammer tag right?  At the very least he is a scammer, verified by the board.  Are you a part of this scam?  What connection do you have with this that you are so over the top defensive of a known scammer?
October 08, 2012, 11:28:10 AM

October 08, 2012, 11:26:53 AM
I agree on pretty much all points.  Nefario needs to at the very least provide the records of ownership in GLBSE-listed securities to the issuers of said securities.  The site now reads:

I had a tiny amount in the exchange itself, but my ownership of securities previously listed there is more important.  We still have no idea what Nefario plans to do about that.

-- Smoov

i'm sure they will let you give them a BTC address once you send them your passport and other AML docs   Roll Eyes

Pages:
Jump to: