Pages:
Author

Topic: New firmware for antminer S9 - less power consumption - page 5. (Read 25156 times)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0
Upgraded 6 S9 which are currently mining digibyte with no issue.
One S9 failed gracefully (has a C5 board which is not supported) with a clear error message.
Activity: 434
Merit: 30
hi,
I have my miners on pdu's with metering.
Today, i switches some to the new lpm firmware. They are running okay,and my mining area is environment conditioned, so everyting stays the same.
Hashrate has dropped .1-.2 th, so not that much, but!!!: current hasnt dropped tat much as well!
i measure only .15 amps (230v) less... so thats roughly 20-30 watts, but also one to 2 tenth less hashrate.

oh by the way: hashing on nicehash: Easy to monitor...

edit: I just pointed the 2 to a AsicBoost supported website, and it looks like that's making a difference: 1 amp down each...

Does this indeed only works with an asicboost pool?
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 2195
EIN: 82-3893490
almost 24 hours and no drop in hash rate.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
That's really nice for this miner, helps in these depressed markets
Activity: 14
Merit: 29
Been running the latest version for around 40hours – looks OK.
Applied the asic boost patch to 13.5 and 14 TH/s S9s - mostly on top of the autofreq firmware and a few on the fixed freq firmware – previous firmware features / settings all retained – including a few custom ones I’d tweaked on the fixed freq devices.  Haven’t tried any S9i’s – will wait for Bitmain to release this.
Haven’t scientifically logged the individual miner hash-rates or amps, but from the circuit PDU power meters etc I am seeing the following:

1.   No gradual speed decline with this version – stable for over 40 hours.
2.   Greater than 10% power saving.
3.   Good temps – no obvious change – a few degrees less than the “unboosted” S9i’s so might be running a fraction lower?
4.   Noise – subjectively appears to be less – didn’t check before / after with a decibel meter – fan speeds appear to be a few 100s rpm lower.
5.   HW error all showing 0.0000% so far – so no obvious change.  All devices and boards are very similar i.e. 55 to 65 errors per S9 after 40 hours so around 1 error per board every 2 hours at 70 degrees c.
6.   Hash rate is consistently at least equal to what the device should be and possibly 0.1 to 0.2 more i.e. around 13.65 and 14.15 TH/s.
7.   No damage during the numerous firmware flashes over the past week but did get the following 2 “funnies” – resolved by reboots.
a.   One hash board showing 0 hash rate with all chips showing good.
b.   One board dropped to around 50% again with all chips allegedly good.
8.     The scoring hash-rate stability is reflected on Slushpool stats - i.e. overall HR is no longer slightly fading over 48 hours and appears to be around 0.8% up (overall including some unboosted S9is).
Activity: 420
Merit: 13
Happy as well with the firmware upgrade, seems hashrate is up on average 0.1-0.3 and electricity consumption down by about 12-18%.
No problems so far.
Activity: 18
Merit: 16
The new fw is OK
Hashrate is above 13.5 with the new 20181102 firmware  ,  after 12 hours on 3 atminer s9
Hw error is not a problem - 8 / 8 /14  
not mesured but many people say Asic Boost reduce consumtion with 1 Amper = 220 w
Activity: 147
Merit: 1
About the new firmware:

Dear Customers,

Please be informed that the hash rate dropping issue has been resolved for the ASICBoost firmware. You may download the latest version firmware for your miners.

Thank you.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
Hash rate is good but still a lot HW errors. Will try and check draw tomorrow.
Activity: 126
Merit: 20
14 hours and hash rates are rock steady. Some are even higher than original recorded HR prior to install. Now just have to check the draw at the wall. See if it's lower. I think they've got this one well in hand.

24hrs + no problems
no hash rate drop 650+ s9s were transferred.
s9i so far so good

The firmware update is not for the S9i. While it won't hurt it, you are gaining nothing by running this FW on the S9i.
14 hours and hash rates are rock steady. Some are even higher than original recorded HR prior to install. Now just have to check the draw at the wall. See if it's lower. I think they've got this one well in hand.
Activity: 66
Merit: 3
24hrs + no problems
no hash rate drop 650+ s9s were transferred.
s9i so far so good
Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
Thank you. Please keep us posted.
legendary
Activity: 1084
Merit: 1003
≡v≡
Would you do this by unchecking "low power mode" in the Miner Config/General settings tab?

Upgraded to the new FW and over the course of a week have seen a decrease of 8-10% in hash rate.. and it is still decreasing.

yes, disabling LPM under miner configuration indeed helps to stabilize hashrate.
testing new firmware, will be back in few days with results, 50+ machines has been upgraded

edit:
2hrs+ and no visible change in hashrate, will keep an eye
12hrs+ and no change in hashrate
so far so good
and finally there are better temps 65-70 avg.
Activity: 6
Regret doing this. As mentioned before in this forum I've tried to flash the backup file on the s9i. But still the s9 upgrade (2.0.0) is on the mashine. Can anyone send a link for download a"clean" S9i firmware?! There is no such firmware on Bitmain support site. I m aware of up comming update for S9i but a little suprised the backup didnt work.
I've been running Oct 23rd firmware on S9is (178 units) for a week now. It works just as good as for s9
hash rate drops similarly power savings are also similar

You mean works just as "Bad".....LOL. What good is power savings if you lose Hashrate?? That's not hard to achieve. If I lower my hash rate, I by default, lower my power consumption. That's what folks do to 19gh D3's to group them on plug receptacles that are close to the 80% limit per plug set.  I'm pretty sure this is not what Bitmain intended. But at least you got the chance to tell us how many S9's you have... Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 2195
EIN: 82-3893490
The update is very small.. as in it just adds the AsicBoost feature. You can upgrade S9i as well. I confirm it works, I don't own an S9j but I assume it's the same.

you may say it works and it might, but it is not designed for the S9i or S9j - there have also been people who have reported it bricked their miners - I would suggest using the right firmware for the right S9 model. The exact same reason why the S9i and S9j had different versions prior to the asicboost version.
Activity: 6
Did an upgrade atfer 1120 update on S9i. Still loose about 600-800 of hashrate on one chain.
Activity: 10
Merit: 6
Flashed the new 11.02 FW to 10 machines and less than an hour later 3 of the 10 are hashing at 0.. Showing all three chains on each of the three machines at 0.00 GH/S(RT).

Pages:
Jump to: