Pages:
Author

Topic: New firmware for antminer S9 - less power consumption - page 7. (Read 25156 times)

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 2195
EIN: 82-3893490
I have tried to flash the old Nov 2017 firmware 3 separate times....but the new firmware is still on my S9.  Can't seem to get the old firmware to install.  Fortunately I only installed the new on fewer than 10 of my S9s but would like to change them back until this decreasing hashrate issue is resolved.

Anyone have an idea what I might be missing/doing wrong?

Downloaded the file from Bitmain, click on system" tab, then "upgrade", then "choose file" (the old firmware file shows in the "file chosen" box), and then I click "flash image".  S9 appears to act like it is flashing but when it is available same new firmware image is still there!!

Thanks

let me ask this - was the nov version what you had prior to upgrading to the 10/23 version? there are some previous S9 firmware versions for the mines with fixed values - could you have been on one of those?
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
I have tried to flash the old Nov 2017 firmware 3 separate times....but the new firmware is still on my S9.  Can't seem to get the old firmware to install.  Fortunately I only installed the new on fewer than 10 of my S9s but would like to change them back until this decreasing hashrate issue is resolved.

Anyone have an idea what I might be missing/doing wrong?

Downloaded the file from Bitmain, click on system" tab, then "upgrade", then "choose file" (the old firmware file shows in the "file chosen" box), and then I click "flash image".  S9 appears to act like it is flashing but when it is available same new firmware image is still there!!

Thanks
legendary
Has anybody successfully used the Reset button, software reset, or IP Reporter reset approach and managed to revert the firmware?

I tested on about a dozen S9s of various ages and the software reset pointed everything back to Bitmain, left the IP address alone (no mac change that often happens when backporting).  I tried the physical reset button on 5 machines and all ignore that.  Tried on May 23rd box and the fault light blinked within seconds and everything was reset - but it was already running the older firmware.  Tried the documented IP Reporter reset on one upgraded box and that did nothing.

I have reverted all of mine back to the November firmware. I simply installed the firmware using the control panel.
copper member
Activity: 658
Merit: 101
Math doesn't care what you believe.
do you think rebooting that often a day would shorten the life of your s9?

Do you think that restarting your computer shortens its lifespan?

This is an odd question.

As usual, agree with Fanatic26.  It would be different if I were power-cycling the machine that often, but not software restarting it.
Activity: 126
Merit: 20
Have you try the firmware on a S9J?

S9i and S9j versions are "in the making" this version is not for those units and the miner will run but the FW will have no effect on the power consumption. That being said, I would strongly recommend against running this version as it is clearly not performing as it was intended to. I ran it on 100's of S9's for 4 days and nights. I saw the leaking hashing power over at least 70% of those units. Yes they recover after re-starts, but not for long. Besides, that is clearly NOT normal so hence, "it is a bad patch". Do not use it. People who are using it, please inform BM through Technical support so they see that they need to correct their version. Thanks!
copper member

This is an odd question.

As usual, agree with Fanatic26.  It would be different if I were power-cycling the machine that often, but not software restarting it.

Has anybody successfully used the Reset button, software reset, or IP Reporter reset approach and managed to revert the firmware?

I tested on about a dozen S9s of various ages and the software reset pointed everything back to Bitmain, left the IP address alone (no mac change that often happens when backporting).  I tried the physical reset button on 5 machines and all ignore that.  Tried on May 23rd box and the fault light blinked within seconds and everything was reset - but it was already running the older firmware.  Tried the documented IP Reporter reset on one upgraded box and that did nothing.
Activity: 26

This is an odd question.

lol....im new. so im just wondering if we reboot it 3 or more times a day....will it shorten the lifespan of s9? as most electronics....leaving it on standby or on all the time is better than turning it on and off....thats what i heard....lol..
Activity: 294
Merit: 129

This is an odd question.
brand new
Activity: 0
legendary

some have but in all reality why would they? If it has issues with the regular S9 and bitmain is stating it is for S9 not S9i or S9j - why risk bricking the miner?
Activity: 26
Honestly, not sure what your asking.  I stated I was restarting 3 times a day, rather think that implies 8 hours between restarts doesn't it?  

For what its worth, I've changed that to 4 restarts a day (yes, 6 hours apart).

Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
We'll that's what I figured on your cadence but didnt want to assume.

Are you finding the power reduction after restart worth the effort? How are you're HW errors?
copper member
What is your cadence for restart in 24 hrs?

Honestly, not sure what your asking.  I stated I was restarting 3 times a day, rather think that implies 8 hours between restarts doesn't it?  

For what its worth, I've changed that to 4 restarts a day (yes, 6 hours apart).
Sent an email to Bitmain Technical support. They asked me for all kinds of screenshots and Kernel logs. I guess I'm supposed to do their legwork on this thing? I just flashed everything back to S9 auto frequency version. Everyone's hashing and happy. I'll wait this one out. Obviously work needs to be done on this " Overt ASICDrop " Firmware.  Undecided
We are not retail.
Yea, I was getting a much larger amount of HW errors with the upgrade and reverted. Made me to anxious.
Activity: 18
Merit: 16
i have 3 machines upgraded with the new firmware
3 days past and everithing is ok except somme insignifiant hasrate  lost and
fan speed strange behavior but only at a certain room temperature , jumping quick from 4800 to 6100 and back
i will measure consumption to see if is worth.
I think the stability of this fw upgrade depend on the batch of the miner
We are not retail.
From my Kano.is shift graft showing the blended performance of (115) S9s:

https://puu.sh/BSRYc/bfc2a3e9ea.png

Based on that chart I've just switched to restarting three times a day from twice a day.

What is your cadence for restart in 24 hrs?
copper member
From my Kano.is shift graft showing the blended performance of (115) S9s:

Based on that chart I've just switched to restarting three times a day from twice a day.
Activity: 1652
Merit: 583
xUSD - The PRIVATE stable coin - Haven Protocol
for Braiins OS Wolfram users

Braiins OS Wolfram With AsicBoost Support for All S9 ASIC Miners >>here<<

broken link

https://braiins-os.org/

:edited:  Wink tnx
I have 23 on all my miners and i have my hashrate degrading over time like you do. I might have to change back to stock firmware =/

Yes this is frustrating. Have to restart machines roughly every 8-10 hours as they slowly bleed off hashrate. This FW is a failure. Of course it uses less power, when the Hashrate drops off continually. No trick to that. I hope to see a fix soon.
Pages:
Jump to: