Author

Topic: Newbie restrictions - page 157. (Read 442041 times)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0
January 13, 2013, 08:38:04 PM
What happens if the value of the bitcoin drops to 0 while the death star is still under construction? Does this mean the project would get cancelled? Does this in turn mean that the Rebel Alliance would win the war?
January 13, 2013, 08:33:19 PM
Yes, I could post my contributions to the bitmit thread here, but I doubt anyone in that thread will notice my post.

I could also split my post up into lots of smaller posts too, so I can make the quota.
January 13, 2013, 08:31:27 PM
When I decide I want to post something, I have already read the forums for some time as anonymous. So it does get a bit tedious reading 4 hours worth of posts yet again. This is valuable time that I am wasting which could be better spent on contributing to thread posts, e.g. I am interested in the one discussing the future of bitmit.

Yes, I could post my contributions to the bitmit thread here, but I doubt anyone in that thread will notice my post.
January 13, 2013, 08:28:51 PM
I don't mind this system at all. This seems to be a very popular forum and I can understand why they're doing this. Nobody ever thinks of himself as a newbie, I certainly didn't, but now that I've been browsing the forum I actually have read a couple of things that I didn't know before.

4 hours is something you can get done in one evening. I registered about 2 hours ago and I'm already halfway done. The bigger issue is the post count, I don't really have any questions to ask and there seem to be plenty of answers on every established topic, so I'm stuck making pretty much useless posts... like this one.

When I decide I want to post something, I have already read the forums for some time as anonymous. So it does get a bit tedious reading 4 hours worth of posts yet again. This is valuable time that I am wasting which could be better spent on contributing to thread posts, e.g. I am interested in the one discussing the future of bitmit.

What counts as a post for the post count? Does this count? Like I said I don't have any questions to ask, but I could make some up if required. e.g. "How should Darth Vadar go about tracking Han Solo's illegal smuggling activities on bitmit?"

On the concept of "newbies", everyone is learning. Including experienced users. Having an artificial category of newbies is just plan wrong, and makes the bitcoin community seem very uninviting for new users. This in turn could restrict the number of people who want to try out bitcoin, which I don't believe is the desired outcome.

For a counter example, Debian mailing lists allow anyone to post, without even a subscription. So it is a much more welcoming place for new users to contribute.
Activity: 29
January 13, 2013, 03:36:04 PM
Sounds like a good system to me!
Activity: 3
January 13, 2013, 03:01:37 PM
5 posts seems reasonable.
Activity: 302
Merit: 250
January 13, 2013, 09:58:46 AM
Four hours surf time is just too long.
Did you figure out how the counting system works? It's not enough if you let the forum run for 4 hours, definitely. You have to click on some buttons some time. Wink
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Admin at blockbet.net
January 12, 2013, 03:46:29 PM
I don't mind this system at all. This seems to be a very popular forum and I can understand why they're doing this. Nobody ever thinks of himself as a newbie, I certainly didn't, but now that I've been browsing the forum I actually have read a couple of things that I didn't know before.

4 hours is something you can get done in one evening. I registered about 2 hours ago and I'm already halfway done. The bigger issue is the post count, I don't really have any questions to ask and there seem to be plenty of answers on every established topic, so I'm stuck making pretty much useless posts... like this one.

Stay strong brothers and sisters, we'll get through this! It'll be worth it!
Activity: 3
January 12, 2013, 03:45:30 PM
Fair enough. This seems like a good community!   Cheesy
Activity: 695
Merit: 500
January 12, 2013, 05:33:08 AM
I consider the new users restriction a very very bad restriction. I am respected member of many other communities on the Internet (none of which have similar restrictions) and only make sensible posts. These types of restrictions only serve to put me off trying to contribute to the Bitcoin community. I don't have questions I want to ask and I don't want to waste everyone's time inventing stupid questions just to meet a stupid quota. I see threads though that I want to contribute to. If you don't want me to contribute, then too bad.

There have been many posts like yours, and I agree entirely. The underlying problems are:

1. The human brain is highly unreliable and of very limited intelligence, compared to an imaginary host of sufficient wisdom to understand this world.

2. Humans make very poor dictators. Give somebody unfettered power over a country or a discussion forum, and the dictator loses all reason, conceives of crazy ideas and forces them on his population. We are little Idi Amins.

3. Consequently, the world is a madhouse. You can see it everywhere you look, save perhaps a few little islands of reason and wisdom.

So don't hope and wait for improvement. Write yourself a little bot that spends the hours here, moving to and fro every few minutes, so you don't have to waste your personal time on such nonsense. Write some "+1" replies to this posting, and you're in.
January 12, 2013, 01:33:17 AM
I consider the new users restriction a very very bad restriction. I am respected member of many other communities on the Internet (none of which have similar restrictions) and only make sensible posts. These types of restrictions only serve to put me off trying to contribute to the Bitcoin community. I don't have questions I want to ask and I don't want to waste everyone's time inventing stupid questions just to meet a stupid quota. I see threads though that I want to contribute to. If you don't want me to contribute, then too bad.
Activity: 302
Merit: 250
January 12, 2013, 01:21:16 AM
Four hours surf time is just too long.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Man is King!
January 12, 2013, 12:31:23 AM
So I guess I need 3 more.  Grin
Activity: 77
Merit: 1
January 11, 2013, 10:05:13 PM
Quite fun how these restrictions leads to plenty of spam ;-)
Activity: 15
January 11, 2013, 07:18:22 PM
Hooray I'm free.
nnn
Activity: 42
January 11, 2013, 11:35:39 AM
*SIGH* Needs must...
Activity: 15
January 11, 2013, 07:37:04 AM
1 hour and 5 Minutes left.
(Prisoned for being a noob)
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
January 11, 2013, 04:31:55 AM
Almost reached bar....counting the minutes!  :-)
Activity: 12
January 11, 2013, 01:30:59 AM
Due to a mass of trolling, only established posters are able to post in non-newbie sections. You are considered "established" if you have spent 4 hours online and have made 5 posts (new topics or replies).

If you have really good posts, you can post a request for preemptive whitelisting in the appropriate topic.

Also:
- Newbies cannot upload their own avatars.
- You must have made one post in order to send PMs.
- You need 10 posts to put a link in your signature.

Note that it may take up to 10 minutes for your PM or posting permissions to be granted. (The system automatically checks every 10 minutes and promotes people as appropriate.)

this doesnt make any sense
Activity: 219
Merit: 100
January 11, 2013, 12:31:00 AM
"ask why?" why do they have to implement these rules?
what company used "ask why" as part of their logo?
Jump to: